Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Please note the Backdrop is the 3x3' mat, it's hard to paint a nebula.

The diorama is not eligible to be judged for January, only these models. Also claiming a Themed Group with the Guardsmen:

Jurnal is the glow from the Officer of the Fleet's Omnitool Auspex:

Speed Painting:

Parts List for the Speed painting:

Started with a Vallejo Grey Surface Primer and some GW Liquid Greenstuff. http://imgur.com/7BEIN0o

Then a basecoat with GW Macragge Blue, Mephiston Red, Dawnstone, and Steel Legion Drab, and VGC Violet. http://imgur.com/EqcFQyX

Highlight with GW Ice Blue, Genestealer Purple, Bleached Bone, Eshin Grey, and Abaddon Black. http://imgur.com/t4MBSga

Finally destroy all detail with GW Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil. http://imgur.com/XD0976F

Because I'm not done milking this Genestealer for all it's worth, I'm going for Box Art!

Finally my Diorama Entry:

And a bonus sneak peek at what happens moments later: http://i.imgur.com/vCxADHV.jpg

If I did anything incorrect, let me know! This was a fun month.

Mmtheblue fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 31, 2014

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
Oath complete

The varnish hosed up on the lady (first time ever) and I don't have time to fix it before deadline, but hopefully it can be salvaged at some point if I can be arsed.

Closeup of the OSL

Didn't oath the kids since I wasn't sure I'd have time to finish them, but managed to fit them in as well. Soooo groupshot

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mmtheblue posted:

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:
If I did anything incorrect, let me know! This was a fun month.

Would it be possible for you to add to your Oath Complete post, a photo containing:
-your username
-the non-Diorama models (all of them)
-NOT the diorama

This way there's something to add to the judge's slideshow that shows all your judging-eligible models, but does not show the diorama (which will be judged with the other dioramas at the end of the season).

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

krushgroove posted:

I'd prefer that folks aren't re-submitting photos after the deadline, it can open up a big can of worms when the points get close. (I also really don't want to have to check the edit date of every completed oath!)

Fair enough, I don't know quite how you guys are keeping track of this stuff but I certainly don't want to make life harder. I just edited my original post with a slightly better shot, hope that's fine. Here's a link back to the post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&pagenumber=106&perpage=40#post425135863

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

Edit: pic above is a bit dark, the lighting works better if I take them one by one and montage:

OSL Jurnal can be seen on the face of one guy, and the custom ripper gun of another:

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 31, 2014

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Oath complete.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time on this and yet am somehow still not really finished working on it. Hopefully I'll get faster at painting if I keep practicing.

Jurnal - I made a stab at OSL with the runes on the shield, but I didn't follow through all the way with it. Not sure whether it qualifies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Monoliths posted:

Fair enough, I don't know quite how you guys are keeping track of this stuff but I certainly don't want to make life harder. I just edited my original post with a slightly better shot, hope that's fine. Here's a link back to the post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&pagenumber=106&perpage=40#post425135863

Yup that's fine, you can edit in better photos, just not after the deadline.

Ripley posted:

Oath complete.
Jurnal - I made a stab at OSL with the runes on the shield, but I didn't follow through all the way with it. Not sure whether it qualifies.

The points for doing the Jurnal are based on whether you tried - we're not making quality judgements (well, the judges are, but that's separate).

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
Oath complete!

By the seven, the amount of time and effort that's gone into this. Gahhhh.
Jurnal is the OSL from the fiery sword, the Chaos cultists on fire, and the gently illuminated halo.

Based on this painting of Saint Celestine.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
Oath Complete!

Just in time too. Pretty happy with how these guys turned out.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE!

Themed Group
Detektuv's Jurnal on the Stinger and a little on the Beast Mistress' right left hand.

Conversion!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Conan the Librarian posted:

Oath Complete!

Just in time too. Pretty happy with how these guys turned out.

Jurnal?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Oath Complete

Jurnal is glow on the plasma cannon. The 6 drones are also a Themed Group

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
As of the time of this posting, y'all have just about FIFTY MINUTES to get those oaths posted!

But I'm about to pass out from a combination of too much beer and the onset of a pork-induced coma (yay, Germany!), so I'm going to post the February Detektuv's Jurnal here and now!

So's I been fightin' troo trenches, stabbin' fools wit me flamin' sword when the silly fing decides ta up and stop workin on me. Oi can't figgah da ting out so we throws it away and just keep runnin'

Oi ain't got tha foggiest clue where oi am, I'm jus' tryin' ta keep outs day way uv tha stoopid humies and whatevah disagreemintz they been up ta. So I's reach tha udder side o' tha killing ground and get to a building. I flings open tha door and this lady looks up from a desk and asks 'ow cans we helps ya?' Well I dunno, I just looks aroun' and see pikchas o' vee-hikoos and such, so I says gimme one 'a dem! She asks me for somethin' like a credit card, oi sez wot in blazes is that! She sez is so's we can secure payment for the rental! Oi dunno what she saying, so I pulls out me pistol and blast away, she's screamin' and runnin' and I just grab sum keys I see on the desk and run troo da back door.

I gets outside and they's raining and dark...it wun't raining and dark when we's come in da front! They's people walkin' round wit silly cone hats on and slick ponchose, I gots no idea wot the blazes is goin' on. I punch a few buttons on the keys and a cah, it starts flashin dem lights and such, oi dunno, so I just go an' get in it.

Wouldn't ya know it just lifts off da groun' and starts drivin' itself! Who knows where da hell dis ting is takin' me!? There ain't no battle goin' on da ground below, dere ain't no shootin', no 'splosions, so I just settles back and enjoy the ride and haves us a snooze.

This month's Detektuv's Jurnal is: BREAK THE 4TH WALL! This is sort of an acting/cinema term where the observer or audience is taken 'out' of the scene they are looking at, because something is so out of place in what they're seeing. Imagine someone playing King Lear in full period costume...but wearing Air Jordans. Think of Luke Skywalker looking out at the suns of Tatooine...and then whipping out a trombone and playing a 'wah, wah, wahhhhh'. Sort of like that! All you have to do is do something with your model that adds something completely out of place: for example, you could paint the Stargate on the back of a wizard's robe, paint a TARDIS on a tank, glue a Genestealer head onto a Discworld or Infinity model, modify a dragon to be playing a piano, or even make an archer about to shoot a rubber chicken!

You can go as far as you want with this, but you don't have to modify or convert anything you don't want to. For the sake of clarity, please make clear what you have done that is in the spirit of the Jurnal. Put it in bold if you have to! Just make sure that you are given the points and the judges have a good look at your efforts!

If you can't think of something, you can always do a previous Detektuv’s Jurnal - but that's only worth 1 point instead of 2!

Remember that each judge will give a single extra point to someone who’s properly completed each month’s Detektuv’s Jurnal and done the best job with it, in their eyes - that's 3 points up for grabs, just for the journal alone! With the points getting tight every point will count!

e: hot drat just 2 months left for this oath season!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 1, 2014

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

OATH COMPLETE
No Jurnal

Taking photos at sunset really washed these out strangely. Anyway, success!

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Lighting is awful, but whatevs.

Still, all done. Jurnal is the glowing eyes on the snappily dressed mage.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Classic last minute completion.

Oath Complete

Mantic enforcer team. I made a little greenstuff soda can for some urban terrain :3:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
:orks: Oaf complete :orks:

While my camera is dead, I managed to get something just in time.

Just some minis and objectives for Mordheim/D&D. For the tokens, I'd like to claim I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 for making a gong, a stack of kegs, a drill, a telescope, a barrel of weapons, a bucket, two wheelbarrows, an oily exploding barrel, some gold, books and a rack of ribs.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 1, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

/\/\Weirdo you're lucky I saw your Oath Complete before you edited it, because it's now timestamped a minute past the deadline. I'll credit your I Rolled a 6, but for future reference, it'd be safer to just ask for credit in a new post, once the deadline's gone past.

:orks:THAT'S IT!:orks:

Brushes down, everyone! January is officially over!

Now accepting February oaths!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

No Jurnal, I guess?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

/\/\Weirdo you're lucky I saw your Oath Complete before you edited it, because it's now timestamped a minute past the deadline. I'll credit your I Rolled a 6, but for future reference, it'd be safer to just ask for credit in a new post, once the deadline's gone past.

Eesh, you're right. Thanks for the heads-up.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Leperflesh posted:

No Jurnal, I guess?
Correct, sorry I forgot to mention that. Time was short :v:

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Oath Complete

Mantic enforcer team. I made a little greenstuff soda can for some urban terrain :3:
Themed Group
No OSL

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Okiedokie. No worries about the theme group, I give it to dozens of goons every month who forget to ask for it.

As usual, Everyone should check the spreadsheet to confirm your info. Click here. Check the January sheet, the Bi-Monthly Prizes January/February sheet (if you had a themed group), and the One-Time Bonuses sheet (if you did any bonuses, or a diorama).

I've updated the totals and interesting statistics page, too: January was a good month, with 53 completed oaths - more than November or December. We also improved in numbers of themed groups, jurnals, and total points earned.

We still need thiswayliesmadness' december judge points, plus all the judge points for January, but you can look at the Grand Prizes sheet to see how the competition is looking. Keep in mind a lot of goons will be getting some consistency points for completing most month's oaths... I'll try and get those programmed in before March so everyone can see where they're at as we head into the final month.

If you're near the top, now would be a good time to start thinking about how you're going to claim the remaining 1-point bonuses! It's definitely going to be close, and there's at least ten grand prizes to hand out... maybe more, if Krushgroove comes back from that convention with some extras, so don't be discouraged if you're back in 15th place or something!

I'll do January prize draws probably on Monday or Tuesday, so everyone has the weekend to check the sheet and make sure I didn't miss something. I usually miss one or two things, so it's well worth doing!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I am yet again...an Oathbreaker :negative:

Might just wait until the next season.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I am yet again...an Oathbreaker :negative:

Might just wait until the next season.

You can always try again! Every month that you succeed, you can win prizes. So even if you failed four months in a row, if you oath and complete one model in February, you could win one of our monthly prizes that month! So it's always worth trying again.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Fixed my poo poo; please disregard previous poo poo. :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Welp, these guardsmen aren't going to oath themselves :getin:

I, Icon of Sin oath to paint these 3 Imperial Guard autocannon teams, from GW. They're normally 2 models per base, but the other kneeling guys got cannibalized into being radio operators for their respective platoon commanders :v:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

krushgroove posted:

All you have to do is do something with your model that adds something completely out of place:

Googly eyes on a tyranid: out of place, or exactly where God intended?

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

As God intended.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Man I have NO IDEA what to do to make something out of place on a model. Especially commissions. What the hell will I do--

drgnvale posted:

Googly eyes on a tyranid: out of place, or exactly where God intended?

Oh well, that'll do just fine :v:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I assume painting a phoenix like a parrot would count?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Slimnoid posted:

Man I have NO IDEA what to do to make something out of place on a model. Especially commissions. What the hell will I do--

Oh well, that'll do just fine :v:

Just gonna leave this here... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW0LS04

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I, moths, oath for February one Soviet WW2 tankodesantniki platoon.

3x squads of seven men
1x officer
and
2x support options (sniper and antitank gunner with spotters)
(Wargames Factory with Plastic Soldier Company bits, 28mm)

(riding on)

2x T-34/85 Tanks (Warlord Games, 28mm)
accompanied by
1x Su-76 self-propelled artillery gun (Warlord Games, 28mm)

The Su-76 has a crew of two and detailed firing compartment! (Warlord Games, 28mm)

And then everyone else will be standing on scenic chunks of ruined Berlin, thanks to a Wargames Bakery Basius pad and a $3 tube of plumber's epoxy.

So this is my army for both Chain of Command and Bolt Action. (The armor won't see much play in CoC.) I'd better start priming...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Fixed my poo poo; please disregard previous poo poo. :v:

Congratulations to Dr. Gargunza for the December judge's point for best NMM model from Sole.Sushi! Thanks Sole.Sushi.

Pash posted:

I assume painting a phoenix like a parrot would count?

I would say so.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I, Grey Hunter, oath 1 Deadzone Marauder faction (13 models), plus objective tokens - 28mm by Mantic Games

This is made up of
1 Orc Captain
2 Orcs in Ripper Suits
1 Orc Pyro
5 Orc Commandoes
2 Goblin Snipers
2 Maw beasts
8 Crates
16 lids (for randomization)

Sorry about the date popup, but with this many models I was having trouble getting everything in and in focus!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I've not been good for getting these in promptly so I'm going to have to add some goodies to the prize pool!

1 Point: Under 15

You got 2 points last month but I'm a sucker for a good orky conversion. Though I'm not quite sure this actually counts as 'orky'. While I don't think the eyes were quite intentional, the look of bewilderment pairs nicely with the gobbo-cannon.

2 Points: Ledgem

I was wondering what kind of Xmas things people would build. Didn't expect a full on sleigh conversion with a pretty cool (pardon the pun) base!

3 Points: Germ

You've been banging out some awesome custom jobs this year and the walls you made are a great example how you added some of the little details. A basic brick wall would have been easy and quick to make. But here there's missing bricks, fallen debris, depth to individual stones, and even a few slid in crooked like you'd find in an old farmers stone fence.

Bonus Point: Peanut Dancer

Really liking the NMM on this guy. Didn't go overboard, adds a natural gradient to the 'shine', and put multiple shades of grey on even the smaller bits to achieve a nice NMM effect.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 1, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Icon Of Sin posted:

I, Icon of Sin oath to paint these 3 Imperial Guard autocannon teams, from GW. They're normally 2 models per base, but the other kneeling guys got cannibalized into being radio operators for their respective platoon commanders :v:

You've...got a little something on your screen, there.

moths posted:

I, moths, oath for February one Soviet WW2 tankodesantniki platoon.
3x squads of seven men
1x officer
and
2x support options (sniper and antitank gunner with spotters)
(Wargames Factory with Plastic Soldier Company bits, 28mm)

(riding on)
2x T-34/85 Tanks (Warlord Games, 28mm)
accompanied by
1x Su-76 self-propelled artillery gun (Warlord Games, 28mm)

The Su-76 has a crew of two and detailed firing compartment! (Warlord Games, 28mm)

And then everyone else will be standing on scenic chunks of ruined Berlin, thanks to a Wargames Bakery Basius pad and a $3 tube of plumber's epoxy.

Grey Hunter posted:

I, Grey Hunter, oath 1 Deadzone Marauder faction (13 models), plus objective tokens - 28mm by Mantic Games

This is made up of
1 Orc Captain
2 Orcs in Ripper Suits
1 Orc Pyro
5 Orc Commandoes
2 Goblin Snipers
2 Maw beasts
8 Crates
16 lids (for randomization)

Sorry about the date popup, but with this many models I was having trouble getting everything in and in focus!

All of these oaths are Accepted!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm honestly surprised about the lack of :spergin: about what the 4th wall is.

I have NO clue how to get that going on my minis for this month, but I;m going to oath them ASAP anyway.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

thespaceinvader posted:

I have NO clue how to get that going on my minis for this month, but I;m going to oath them ASAP anyway.

I have a couple of resin sprues of random scifi and fantasy bits that came with my Basisus KS, gonna use some of those. Trouble is finding a mini in my box that it actually works for. By which I mean I need to find a mini that doesn't look too far when I put a bottle of rum in its hand.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm going to paint my Orc Maruders up in the 1879 pattern British Army uniform (European pattern). That's odd enough I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

thespaceinvader posted:

I have the perfect idea but need to find the right bit to make it work, I don't think I've ever seen one though. I'm being all cryptic for a reason :v:

• Locked thread