Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
Jesus Over steam if full of Lasers! I love it.

Please tell me the lasers are here to stay, and not just for the war against the robot-dragons back story.

e. well poo poo that took a depressing turn fast

Sir PigglyWiggly fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Blinks77 posted:

I'm two chapters in... this is some pretty depressing poo poo so far.
Keep going. The ending is basically the most badass thing ever drawn.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just want to recommend people check out Feng Shen Ji. It has some of the best art and intensity of any comic I have ever read.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just thinking about something; China is a huge loving country (and Korea isn't that small, at least when compared with Japan), but the overwhelming majority of comics we see come from Japan. Is this due to Japanese manga receiving more focus due to the existence of many Western fans, or is there actually far less being produced in China/Korea. There's stuff like The Ravages of Time (which is pretty amazing), and it just seems strange that there would only be a handful of titles.

My question is more about China, due to the population of the country, but even Korea has disproportionately few series scanlated relative to Japan (despite having a large population of tech/pop media-savvy - couldn't think of a better description - people).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think it's a combination of not many Korean series being translated and manga/manwha not being as huge there. No idea about China.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
China had the cultural revolution 1966-1976 during which time most culture and media was eradicated and all schools were closed. So a huge chunk of the generation that would have produced manhua basically grew up poor and in a cultural void.

South Korea was a 3rd world country ruled by a dictatorship until 1987.

In contrast Japan has been a functioning 1st world democracy since World War 2 and never went through a cultural apocalypse. So more media comes out of there.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
South Korea has roughly half the population of Japan.

The thing about Korea is that the media industry is heavily controlled by piracy and the efforts to fight it. This was before Computers came into play. After South Korea had a boost in IT technology, Piracy became a big factor in the media industry, including printed comics. Due to great Internet Infrastructure, strong local PC manufacturers and high concentration of skilled workers coming from strong cultural emphasis of education, Piracy became really easy to do in Korea. It was made even worse that Legal studies wasn't given much emphasis by Koreans, as previous dictatorships liked to play around with the law to their will. That meant copyright laws were enforced poorly.

Because of piracy, Koreans stopped purchasing printed comics. It was made worse by the fact that it was cheaper to import Japanese comics than to pay local Artists, especially since 2002, importing foreign media was easier than ever. People essentially didn't pay to read printed media. Instead, they would scan and pass it all around the internet.

One day, Naver thought of a brilliant idea. Since people didn't bother reading printed comics but liked scans, why not sell them digitally? Which is what they did. They bought rights to comics, both Korean and Japanese, and had digital readers where you pay 500 Won(roughly 50 cents) per chapter to read. They also hired a few webcomic artists(all small scale non-professionals) to draw some free webcomics that might catch a few views and attract viewers that would eventually buy digital copies.

However, the latter become a more profitable venture than the former, because the price of free was really great. Eventually, Naver found out that the webcomic brought many users to their main search engine, meaning the webcomic had this special non-monetary value that Naver could invest in. Thus, the webcomic market was born in Korea. This new market didn't suffer from piracy, because there was no reason to. It would be much easier to read from the main site.

The reason why Korean comics didn't get exposure is because it was ruined heavily by piracy. Now, it's actually getting more exposure than it has ever had, and maybe Naver might be interested in this growing foreign market if they could find a way to benefit from foreign viewership.

ArcadePark fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 1, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thanks for the responses; I didn't really think of the fact that manga has had decades to develop in Japan when both China and South Korea were both in an economic/cultural funk (to put it shortly).

ArcadePark's post about the rise of the webcomic (and lack of a market for printed media) in South Korea is also really interesting and should maybe be linked to in the OP just for some background.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I think that part of the problem in china is just plain old poverty. While things have been getting better there your average person still would only have very limited access to the free time and resources necessary to make things like comics. I expect to see a lot more in the way of original art and entertainment out of china as more people have the time and resources needed to pursue these sorts of interests.

Part of the reason is also that any chinese person or organization is going to be competing with previously established media groups and creators from outside of china, and that will slacken demand to some extent. Still, people in china are going to want entertainment that comes from their own cultural perspective and once that sort of content is available I expect that there will be plenty of demand for it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

There are actually quite a lot of Chinese comics, the most famous one being the Feng Yun series, which has been running since 1989 and still ongoing now. The art style of Feng Yun has been copied by a ton of other Chinese mangaka, like the one who's drawing Feng Shen Ji.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I have this vague recollection of a toon that may or may not be a manhwa, maybe one of you folks knows it.

The premise is about a young kid making friends with a vampire that looks to be around his own age. One day the kid loses most reasons for staying in the normal world and is taken into the undead kids' realm, where he grows up quite a few years, contracts vampirism somewhere along the way and begins attending what is essentially Vampire College. Along the way he finds out all sorts of things including the fact there are many subcategories of vampire distinguished mostly through the type/color of the eyes.

I don't recall more than this and am not even sure if it is worth reading.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Mindblast posted:

I have this vague recollection of a toon that may or may not be a manhwa, maybe one of you folks knows it.

The premise is about a young kid making friends with a vampire that looks to be around his own age. One day the kid loses most reasons for staying in the normal world and is taken into the undead kids' realm, where he grows up quite a few years, contracts vampirism somewhere along the way and begins attending what is essentially Vampire College. Along the way he finds out all sorts of things including the fact there are many subcategories of vampire distinguished mostly through the type/color of the eyes.

I don't recall more than this and am not even sure if it is worth reading.

It sounds like you are talking about http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Crepuscule.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Does Kubera ever get less insufferably dense and useless and generally terrible? I want to like the story because the world building seems neat, but the main character ruins it.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
While Kubera isn't all that bright she isn't as dense as she appears to be. [untranslated chapter spoiler] For example she sort of knew that Yuta is a sura. However she also noticed that everyone else knew and didn't tell her. So she is being oblivious because she'd rather be dumb then someone that can't be trusted. I don't know how far into the story you are, but if you really need her to not be as dumb you should probably wait a few months before you continue reading. Because this is an issue that was first addressed in the chapter last week and might be a focus in the upcoming chapters as well but thats just speculation.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 4, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Like 90% of the upbeat but dense thing is Kubera faking it. She might have started out that way, but now all she wants out of life is to not be abandoned by the few people she knows who are still alive and to kill the bird jackass. So, she does her solid best to get along with and avoid offending anyone she meets.

I agree that on the surface she is kind of insufferable, though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Man, Teo and Gandharva :qq: Kubera is actually pretty goood.

Edit: never mind everyone is still literally retarded. "we can stand at the same side" " yes I will aid humans" "oh wait no.I am too bad to do that looks like I can't." if every bit of your plot can be solved by people actually talking instead for refusing to speak and having long internal monologues instead, your story is dumb.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 5, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've only been intermittently reading Knight Run since it was kind of dragging, but I really didn't expect this.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Knight-Run/Ch-074--Pray---Part-072---My-Dearest-Anne?id=187487
Pray spontaneously gave birth to Anne. In a nativity scene no less, in case the symbolism was too subtle for anyone.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

I've only been intermittently reading Knight Run since it was kind of dragging, but I really didn't expect this.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Knight-Run/Ch-074--Pray---Part-072---My-Dearest-Anne?id=187487
Pray spontaneously gave birth to Anne. In a nativity scene no less, in case the symbolism was too subtle for anyone.

Yeah, I learned that through spoilers ages ago and was wondering just how in the gently caress that was going to end up happening.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Despite the lack of tension lately, The Breaker: News Waves 147 knows what I'm here for.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Haha, I was coming here to post this because it certainly got a :pwn: out of me.

At least it explains why she's the only person in the universe remotely as strong as her.

Also I love the names of their moves.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Despite the lack of tension lately, The Breaker: News Waves 147 knows what I'm here for.

I just want glasses guy to die. Every time he shows up, he fucks up in some way, blames the world and comes back a few days later with a new ACME plan to finally catch the road runner, or in this case, martial artists. He's malicious, but so terribly inept that I can't even tolerate him as comic relief.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Cynic Jester posted:

I just want glasses guy to die. Every time he shows up, he fucks up in some way, blames the world and comes back a few days later with a new ACME plan to finally catch the road runner, or in this case, martial artists. He's malicious, but so terribly inept that I can't even tolerate him as comic relief.

Oh, he's not inept at all. His goals just aren't as they appear. Remember he's the one who 'accidently' left the handgun for the other guy to take and shoot Shi-Ho Lee. Followed by then being the one to take the sniper shot to finish her. He is working for Kaiser, and his goal is to get Nine Art to cause as much damage as possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kubera/Vol-002-Ch-075--The-One-to-Stand-Before-Me--005-?id=187730

Holy crap. Yuta didn't just get stronger when he matured. He seems to have instantly become smarter and much more resolute, too. He actually changed from a child to an adult, which is an excellent way of showing how different from humans he really is.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kubera/Vol-002-Ch-075--The-One-to-Stand-Before-Me--005-?id=187730

Holy crap. Yuta didn't just get stronger when he matured. He seems to have instantly become smarter and much more resolute, too. He actually changed from a child to an adult, which is an excellent way of showing how different from humans he really is.

I need more Kubera.
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/223480/kubera_v2_ch76_by_the-company

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

That red bird is a collosal dick.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
So what is happening with Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School?

I haven't noticed an update in forever.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

It was too good for this world.

I hope it hasn't been dropped like Space China Dress.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Flython posted:

It was too good for this world.

I hope it hasn't been dropped like Space China Dress.

Dropped by translators or is the story dropped altogether?

Anyways, I want to update the OP with is quite out of date by this point so I'm looking for input on what series to include! Should I just update this thread or make a new one?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You can probably get by with updating the old one. Some of the stuff in the OP has ended, others have been cancelled, but there really haven't been very many new, good manwha lately aside from the Gamer. Oh, and I guess part 2 of Trace has started.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Speaking of trace, can someone give me a rundown on the status of the spinoffs/sequels?

I've read the original and there seems to be three other different series in the same world. The one with the trace with drug powers that's trying to communicate with troubles, the spinoff drawn by a different artist about a runaway trace assassin and that new one with the mundane police officer and masked group of murderers. Is there a specific order they should be read in? Which are ongoing/finished/dropped by scanlators/canceled?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Trace is kind of unfortunate in my eyes... The original (1.0 I guess since there's Trace 1.5 and 2.0 or whatever) was the first webcomic I ever read and I really liked the story. There's been basically no translations for the sequels though because of a pay-wall I believe.

I liked what little has come out of Trace 1.5 (the story with the drug-saliva Trace and Trouble-friend) but I can't even read what's come out of 2.0.

Batoto has a list of the different series at least: http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/trace-r112

Reiche fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 25, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

You can probably get by with updating the old one. Some of the stuff in the OP has ended, others have been cancelled, but there really haven't been very many new, good manwha lately aside from the Gamer. Oh, and I guess part 2 of Trace has started.

Cheese in the Trap should definitely be added to the OP at least.

http://www.oddsquad.org/p/cheese-in-trap.html

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Okasvi posted:

Speaking of trace, can someone give me a rundown on the status of the spinoffs/sequels?

I've read the original and there seems to be three other different series in the same world. The one with the trace with drug powers that's trying to communicate with troubles, the spinoff drawn by a different artist about a runaway trace assassin and that new one with the mundane police officer and masked group of murderers. Is there a specific order they should be read in? Which are ongoing/finished/dropped by scanlators/canceled?

Perfume is completely unnecessary. 1.5 is setup for part 2, it is complete but was never fully translated and no one seems to be working on it any more. Armor line is part 2 of the main story; it is currently running and being translated. I liked 1.5, but you can probably skip it since the end may never be translated.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Reiche posted:

Dropped by translators or is the story dropped altogether?

Anyways, I want to update the OP with is quite out of date by this point so I'm looking for input on what series to include! Should I just update this thread or make a new one?

Dropped by the translators is seems. The sad thing is I could probably get quite a lot of enjoyment out of the raws like with Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School but it's just not the same.

Such a shame, there's was a bit in chapter 7 that had me guffawing and I looked forward to more.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Rinseh posted:

So what is happening with Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School?

I haven't noticed an update in forever.

EGG seems to still be working on it, just slowly. They're still 1 behind the latest mangacow release.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I started reading Trace.

One of these days I'll learn to just close the goddamn tab when I see the Nasty Cat logo :argh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I started reading Trace.

One of these days I'll learn to just close the goddamn tab when I see the Nasty Cat logo :argh:

1.5's translation was finished, just in time for it to become relevant to 2.0. I figured Druggie would have just ended up dead. Nope! The banal evil and corruption of the government irreparably crushed a(nother) good man, and whatever is left isn't very nice.

Yes I am!
Nov 7, 2009
I keep waiting for Princess to be finished and check every couple of years but it never and probably will not happen ....

(I am also a guy which makes this sort of a confession post)

http://wpedia.goo.ne.jp/enwiki/Princess_(manhwa)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Feng Shen Ji achieves its final form: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Feng-Shen-Ji/095

SOUL GATTAI :kamina:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Special Martial Arts High School 30

I'm dying :laffo: