Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

trucutru posted:

Yeah, losing both also doesn't hamper it, sometimes it is even an improvement!. See for instance Zatoichi or Daredevil.

Helen Keller. The world's greatest warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Helen Keller. The world's greatest warrior.

Sounds like someone never read Helen Killer.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gigantomakhia 4

I'm really liking where this is going.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Miura really wants in on that SnK hype.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Seems like a really short chapter.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

:riker:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it just me, or does that look a lot like Ubik?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think anyone but Miura can make a 2 page spread of HANDS look that amazing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it just me, or does that look a lot like Ubik?

I don't think Prome is an aerosol can.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this
I have no idea what the gently caress just happened, but it was amazing.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
:siren: ATTN: Gigantomakhia haters :siren:

You should probably read chapter 4.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Holy loving poo poo what did I just read and why can't I stop grinning. Part 4 owns!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
drat, I was not expecting that.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Attack on Piss Drinkers

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Incredible.

Can't wait to see it suplex the titan.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So, is Berserk totally dead?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Hand of the King posted:

Incredible.

Can't wait to see it suplex the titan.

All this time we questioned not "What will happen?" but "How is gonna suplex that titan?"

AND NOW WE KNOW. :clint:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

So, is Berserk totally dead?

No, it will resume its regular glacial pace of publication once Gigantomakhia is done.

Miura seems to have spent 2013 writing Gigantomakhia, so assuming that at least an equivalent 6 chapters of Berserk will be published in 2014 doesn't seem too far-fetched. Probably more since he won't have to deal with the overhead of bringing a new comic to market.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Spoiler for the latest Gigantomakhia chapter Gohra kind of looks like a cross between the Armored Titan and the Colossal Titan

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahaha he actually does now that I think about.

Also yeah I was writing this off because of the little plot exposition girl (it's goddamn annoying) and the racist caricatures. But it looks pretty well.

As long as he doesn't axe Berserk.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, so that's how he is going to German suplex those monsters.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I thought she was going to wake up the sleeping giant. But this works too. :black101:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LordMune posted:

No, it will resume its regular glacial pace of publication once Gigantomakhia is done.

I reread Berserk recently, and I'm pretty confident that he will never finish it. As good as it is, comparatively little happens plot-wise between the start of the post-Eclipse comic and the present. It's literally been just this:

1. Guts wanders around and fights that insect girl and all of her insectoid fake fairy friends
2. Guts returns home and realizes Casca has gone missed, which ends up with the whole Vatican arc taking place
3. Guts and company meet Schierke and get the magical weapons/Guts' berserker armor (after being attacked by the crystal dragon apostle, who Guts sorta-defeats).
4. They go to the city where they meet Farnese's new fiance who her brother set her up with (who turns out to be a pretty cool navy dude)
5. They get on the boat and fight the Kushan emperor's visage and some other Kushan sorcerer guy
6. Still on the boat, they meet the mermaid girl and fight the sea god
7. The present, where it's just been revealed that the world is radically transformed and Griffith has set up some giant fortress that is the only safe haven in a world full of monsters/demons

It doesn't even seem like it's even approaching a half-way point, and this has occurred over something like two decades.

(For the record, I'm not blaming Miura for this in any way; it's just an unfortunate fact given how high quality his work is and the current state of the Berserk story)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Miura said the story is like 70% done. Lets say they get to Elf Island, Caksa starts going through some period of metal recovery with the Elf King, and then there's some call to action with spurs Guts to go confront Griffith, maybe with the help of the Elf King's allies. Let's say that, combined with maybe some insight into Falconia, takes 5 volumes. Then there can be 5 volumes of Guts and co fighting Griffith's armies and Griffith himself. So that'd be another decade of Berserk. Not unimaginable. Maybe have it be 13 more volumes to bring it up to a nice even 50. The last 3 can be nothing but crazy double page spreads.

Which would allow Miura to retire before he's 65. Though he'll probably just go create another manga.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Guts hasn't done much, but that's because most of his long-term plans basically amount to "aimlessly wander around attacking Apostles until something happens". But still assembling a team of allies and earning power-ups is kinda important too.

On the other hand the Godhand has recorporealized Griffith, won a war, formed Griffith-land and fundamentally altered the laws of reality . So even though the hero hasn't made much progress his enemies have and that sets up the coming conflict (though who knows how long it'll take to resolve).

But the real tragedy is that people have to hang their hopes on a place called Elf Island. As if that doesn't call to mind bullshit fairies and tedious exposition. I almost hope it's a smouldering ruin by the time Team Guts arrives! :colbert:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Elite posted:

Guts hasn't done much
Hey, you try swinging an eight hundred slab of iron at evil spirits every night. :histdowns:

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Ccs posted:

Miura said the story is like 70% done. Lets say they get to Elf Island, Caksa starts going through some period of metal recovery with the Elf King, and then there's some call to action with spurs Guts to go confront Griffith, maybe with the help of the Elf King's allies. Let's say that, combined with maybe some insight into Falconia, takes 5 volumes. Then there can be 5 volumes of Guts and co fighting Griffith's armies and Griffith himself. So that'd be another decade of Berserk. Not unimaginable. Maybe have it be 13 more volumes to bring it up to a nice even 50. The last 3 can be nothing but crazy double page spreads.

Which would allow Miura to retire before he's 65. Though he'll probably just go create another manga.

This meshes with what Miura said in an interview a long time ago. He was asked something like how long will berserk go on for and Miura's reply was along the lines that, while he thinks he has enough planned out to last 100 volumes, he will probably stop around 50.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Elite posted:

But the real tragedy is that people have to hang their hopes on a place called Elf Island. As if that doesn't call to mind bullshit fairies and tedious exposition. I almost hope it's a smouldering ruin by the time Team Guts arrives! :colbert:

I feel like this is the most obvious way that the journey to Elf Island ends. If only because it would be something Griffith would do. He went and killed the Forest witch for really no reason simply because she could have been a threat. I could see him going all scorched Earth on Elf island simply just to remove that piece from the table of someone who might want to come after him.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Elite posted:

One of my favorite parts of the series was when they arrive at Flora's mansion and have a nice reprieve and we get to learn something about how the cosmology of the Berserk world works. I'm hoping a similar thing happens at Elf island, where there's maybe a half a volume of peace followed by something coming and screwing poo poo up.

I'm guessing the moonlight kid will play a major role since he's probably Griffith. They've suggested that he's an emissary of the Elf King as a misdirection, but he'll show up on Elf Island and Schierke will be all like "Oh, I was right! He was sent by the elves!" and then the Elf King will be all "No, he's not one of mine" and then The kid will transform into Griffith and poo poo will go down.

At least that's one possibility I see playing out.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

I'm guessing the moonlight kid will play a major role since he's probably Griffith.

The moonlight kid is Guts and Caska's child. Griffith is using it as his body in the mortal world that the five members of the godhand cannot enter without a host. But since the child is... well very, very special, it breaks free of Griffith's control every full moon and returns to Caska and Guts. He's almost a spirit, but alive enough to suit Griffith's purposes. Oh, and it's because Griffith is using the child as a host body that he protected Caska during Guts showdown with Zodd on the hill of swords, which is what he did as a fetus before he was reborn.

So yeah, he will play a very, very major role. Once Caska is sane, Guts confrontation with Griffith will be to rescue his son. Because Guts doesn't really give a poo poo about the rest of the world, he just wants Caska back, fighting Griffith plays no part in that objective anymore, and Griffith has no reason to confront Guts since he's achieved everything he's ever wanted in building his own country.

But that's just my guess. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A big grand "get out of our lives" moment that doesn't necessarily involve chopping him in half with a sword would be pretty satisfying.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://www.mangapanda.com/gigantomakhia/5

Giant wrasslin' time :allears:

Crampy Grampaw fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 5, 2014

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

C'mon dude, at least link to an online reader that doesn't poo poo all over the image quality :v:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gigantomakhia/Vol-001-Ch-005-Read-Online?id=187319

:siren: Haters should continue to read Gigantomakhia :siren:

LordMune fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 5, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Forget Berserk it was good while it lasted. I need more giant wrestling. Maybe next giant it is a DDT or maybe the people's elbow comes in to play. The possibilities are endless.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It's like Miura read Attack on Titan and said "Giants are cool, but MMA is dumb and wrestling is way cooler". I hope there's a segment where there's ropes so Delos can do even crazier poo poo.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It's like Miura read Attack on Titan and said "Giants are cool, but MMA is dumb and wrestling is way cooler". I hope there's a segment where there's ropes so Delos can do even crazier poo poo.

Oh mah god, he's bounced off the Celestial Energy Threads and come back with a devastating clothesline!

The another giant pops up just to be the referee.

Elite fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 5, 2014

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Forget Berserk it was good while it lasted. I need more giant wrestling. Maybe next giant it is a DDT or maybe the people's elbow comes in to play. The possibilities are endless.

He's always gonna finish with that brainbuster suplex, though. It's his finishing move, after all.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Synthesizing Nitro-Nectar... then proceeds to do a nitro-boosted running clothesline on a monster. Yeah.

That's all you need to know.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, Miura does seem to try and top Attack on Titan. Gohra's height is even stated to be 53 M tall if that translation is accurate. Colossal Titan, more like puny titan :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Yeah well there's this one story that has a turtle the size of the earth, and there's an infinite series of equally huge turtles underneath it. :colbert: