Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm super disappointed they didn't make a custom badge with more E's in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

What in the gently caress?

No, wait. Why in the gently caress?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Code Jockey posted:

What in the gently caress?

No, wait. Why in the gently caress?

Its a Jeep thing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I almost bought this in 1986...a widened Dodge Tradesman (1976?). Had a bad 440.

I passed, even for $400...mostly because the windshield would be impossible to replace.

VVV not sure if Safelite even existed then...but I don't know if a windshield can be CNC'd...I know Safelite can whomp up glass for my'66 Bonneville for under $500; god only knows how.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 31, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PainterofCrap posted:

I passed, even for $400...mostly because the windshield would be impossible to replace.

Speaking of this, auto glass places have just-in-time CNC windshield fabrication things, right? It's not like Safelite has a gigantic warehouse of every windshield ever, right? :tinfoil:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

Speaking of this, auto glass places have just-in-time CNC windshield fabrication things, right? It's not like Safelite has a gigantic warehouse of every windshield ever, right? :tinfoil:

No, having been to Safelite's actual brick & mortar location I can verify that they have huge racks of windshields on hand. When I had the Lightning's windshield replaced they only had one with an artificial horizon on them.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I've driven the all time worst rental car and it was a PT Cruiser convertible in burgundy. There is nothing worse than that car. Every rental car before and after that car was or will be better across the entire universe till the end of time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

I almost bought this in 1986...a widened Dodge Tradesman (1976?). Had a bad 440.

VVV not sure if Safelite even existed then...but I don't know if a windshield can be CNC'd...I know Safelite can whomp up glass for my'66 Bonneville for under $500; god only knows how.

I'm stunned you passed this up.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

8ender posted:

I've driven the all time worst rental car and it was a PT Cruiser convertible in burgundy. There is nothing worse than that car. Every rental car before and after that car was or will be better across the entire universe till the end of time.

How did you allow this to happen when they tried to give you the car!??!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

subx posted:

L...life finds a way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

subx posted:

"This is gonna make a great AI post"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

8ender posted:

Did they not have a turbo model? Those were great fut to beat on.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Safety Dance posted:

Speaking of this, auto glass places have just-in-time CNC windshield fabrication things, right?

A combination of curved and laminated glass pretty much makes this impossible, if cars just used a flat pane you might be able to custom cut glass out of a larger sheet.

This is why common models have same day or next day service, but something that's rare might take 2-3 days while they order a windshield in from their central warehouse.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Geoj posted:

A combination of curved and laminated glass pretty much makes this impossible, if cars just used a flat pane you might be able to custom cut glass out of a larger sheet.

This is why common models have same day or next day service, but something that's rare might take 2-3 days while they order a windshield in from their central warehouse.

How do chopped cars get their windshield? Do they simply take a regular windshield and cut it down to size to get the right curvature, or can they actually get custom made windshields for chopped cars?

Also, from Motor Trend's "Chopped not Shopped" article is this monstrosity which actually almost looks cool.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Reminds me of the double-wide Wrangler that's probably somewhere in this thread already.

It's a Jeeeeeeeep! :downs:

Maybe Jeeps can asexually reproduce like planaria. Soon the wheels will form and the split will be complete.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

8ender posted:

I was going to rent a convertible for my florida trip, since the site said "Mustang convertible or similar". I am glad I took a few minutes to poke around their site, since the "similar" cars they have are Chrysler Sebring, Chevy HHR, Corvette, PT Cruiser and Ford Mustang. Knowing my luck I would never end up with a Corvette or Mustang. Apparently "similar car" just means "is a convertible".

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Reminds me of the double-wide Wrangler that's probably somewhere in this thread already.

It's a Jeeeeeeeep! :downs:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Top of the line in utility sports
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts

pimpedlightsaber
Dec 3, 2005

Negromancer posted:

I was going to rent a convertible for my florida trip, since the site said "Mustang convertible or similar". I am glad I took a few minutes to poke around their site, since the "similar" cars they have are Chrysler Sebring, Chevy HHR, Corvette, PT Cruiser and Ford Mustang. Knowing my luck I would never end up with a Corvette or Mustang. Apparently "similar car" just means "is a convertible".

Good call. We rented a "Mustang convertible or similar" last time we were in Florida, and apparently they have 1 Mustang convertible, and about 30 Chrysler 200 convertibles, so we got to pick which color Chrysler 200 we wanted.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

pimpedlightsaber posted:

Good call. We rented a "Mustang convertible or similar" last time we were in Florida, and apparently they have 1 Mustang convertible, and about 30 Chrysler 200 convertibles, so we got to pick which color Chrysler 200 we wanted.

That sucks and seems pretty shady. I imagine all rental places do it though, so I guess it's just accepted practice.

Oh man, I remember this picture from my old Guinness World Records book.

I don't understand how that Jeep thing doesn't just snap in half if it hits a small pot hole. It probably doesn't actually move though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

subx posted:

I don't understand how that Jeep thing doesn't just snap in half if it hits a small pot hole. It probably doesn't actually move though.

Think again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Ve__wF7bs

subx
Jan 12, 2003

It never turned! I'd love to see it take a corner. Preferably a 90deg right hander.

Also the dude driving looked like he was having so much fun (not really).

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Phy posted:

Top of the line in utility sports
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

The angle really downplays just how far out those wheels were.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gotta make space for those nutz :clint:

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

FecalFajita posted:

JDM redneck.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A fine steed was needlessly sacrificed upon the Super Bowl's gilded altar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLDGSitDWA

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

They could have at least used a Bronco II.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tekne posted:

A fine steed was needlessly sacrificed upon the Super Bowl's gilded altar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLDGSitDWA

That just makes me sad. I grew up with my dad owning an '85 F-150 so I've got a bit of a soft spot for that generation. lovely.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FecalFajita posted:

This is the type of person who titles their craigslist ad with

"Wheels are 5 hole, so fit almost anything"

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

8ender posted:

I was "upgraded" to a convertible Camaro when I went to LA last December. I'm certain the PT Cruiser is a worse car, but the Camaro was a pile of poo poo. It was underpowered, heavy, the infotainment unit would crash, and you couldn't see anything behind you without putting the top down. So, parking in the hilariously tight Little Tokyo parking garages was an unpleasant experience. And, because of the location of the vents, blasting the heater with the top down on the freeway is only slightly better than not having the heater on at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Americans talking about small parking spaces :rolleyes:

Compared to

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slavvy posted:

Americans talking about small parking spaces :rolleyes:

Compared to

Yes all American spots are well designed and we don't have a congestion problem in our urban centers ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeaIw5rKPIM

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Those spaces appear to be cut specifically for those small electric/hybrid hire cars and aren't at all representative of Euro-land parking spaces though?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I love going to a chain place like Longhorn Steakhouse or O'Charleys. The parking spaces are absolutely enormous. There will be like 4-5 feet on each side, even with my sedan.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

revmoo posted:

I love going to a chain place like Longhorn Steakhouse or O'Charleys. The parking spaces are absolutely enormous. There will be like 4-5 feet on each side, even with my sedan.

Or Costco where they decided to do double lines between spaces and it feels so luxurious.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
It could be because all of our vehicles are massive and need the extra space, or we are all inconsiderate pricks who can't park and fling doors open without looking, or because we are apparently all such fat bastards that all of the doors need to be fully opened to exit the vehicle, or some combination of the above. Take your pick, I'm sure there's an element of truth to each scenario.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

StormDrain posted:

Or Costco where they decided to do double lines between spaces and it feels so luxurious.

Costco has the excuse that you may need to open the doors wide / pull carts between vehicles to load bulky / heavy items in the passenger area.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bandman posted:

It could be because all of our vehicles are massive and need the extra space, or we are all inconsiderate pricks who can't park and fling doors open without looking, or because we are apparently all such fat bastards that all of the doors need to be fully opened to exit the vehicle, or some combination of the above. Take your pick, I'm sure there's an element of truth to each scenario.

It's the massive vehicles thing. I've seen a couple of imported American pickups and they are ENORMOUS. Parking in a normal supermarket spot in NZ, which has parking spaces the same size or slightly larger compared to the UK, the body of the car will be touching the white lines on either side with no door opening room, and the bed will be hanging out the back of the spot by a meter or more. Often you see hummers and f250's and the like just casually parked perpendicular to the parking lot lines because they simply don't fit normally.

The spot occupied by the gold explorer in the picture I posted has the external dimensions of a double-lined one here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
F250? You Oceanic motherfuckers haven't even started on trucks. We've got F550s to do the grocery run with.

Still not enough, and you're too busy loving your cousin to get a CDL? Try an F650 on for size.

Still not enough? Now we're talking. We'll make it into a loving limo. Your chauffeur has to give you a boost to get in. At this level we don't even think about parking lots anymore, these babies just keep rolling 24/7 while a small Japanese car travels to and from the gas station to keep 'em stocked.

I can give any one of these bitches to my 16 year old as soon as he looks up from Facebook long enough to get his drivers' license and he can drive it wherever and whenever he wants.

It's like it's the last fifteen turns of a Civ game. Our tech tree hit the cap on this poo poo a long time ago and now we're just putting more points into Bigger Trucks XVIII.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 1, 2014