Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What weird horse mechanics? They literally stayed on the horse and did nothing with it. No one'a going to be interested by 3 minutes of sterile gameplay where the only prominent feature is a bunch of projectiles being thrown around, if anything that would make things worse. How hard is it to make a trailer or gameplay demo that shows off the weirder stuff and not the stuff that makes this look like every other fighting game?

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
:( All Star Battle looks sluggish as hell. Was that an AI fight or multiplayer? Because jeeze, I liked seeing some of the cooler moves animated but it looks pretty slow. On top of that I've heard that there are characters that are just awful to play as because the game is poorly balanced. If that's true then that really sucks. I don't care if a fighting game has imbalanced fighters but I've heard ASB has characters that just aren't designed to work with the actual gameplay.

In either case hopefully a few sequels down the games will be better and much faster.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FirstAidKite posted:

All Star Battle looks sluggish as hell. Was that an AI fight or multiplayer? Because jeeze, I liked seeing some of the cooler moves animated but it looks pretty slow. On top of that I've heard that there are characters that are just awful to play as because the game is poorly balanced. If that's true then that really sucks. I don't care if a fighting game has imbalanced fighters but I've heard ASB has characters that just aren't designed to work with the actual gameplay.

Those people were pretty terrible and actual fights are a lot more active. Also there's only 2 characters I can think of that really didn't translate well, one being Rohan because he's entirely built around damage lockout gimmicks, the second being Akira because of an unfortunate resource management need that hinders him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It shouldn't really need to be said that two people doing a lot of nothing make the game look dull. However it is as slow as it looks and yes there are some characters who are either pointless or braindead to play. I'd say off the top of my head the pointless characters are Okuyasu, Ermes, Iggy, and the two Yardbomb mentioned. Some more braindead characters were like PB Dio, Diavolo was one too until they nerfed the hell out of him, and Pucci is sort of too in that he is built around one goal yet none of his tools are effective in getting to said goal unless you've got full meter.

On the subject of sequels, this game is weird in how it's been received in Japan. It sold record numbers in its first week but also had an unbelievably huge drop off in the following week. Fans sort of started complaining because of having to unlock everything through a social game styled mode, very low effort story mode, and other petty things. It was so bad at one point the game was deemed a kusoge, a more affectionate term than others, but still a term that is earned through a host of bad decisions made with your game. I dunno if it's still considered one but that was shocking for me to see. Araki liked the game a lot though, so it's really up in the air if this getting a sequel.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 31, 2014

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

To be a little fair to Okuyasu, his theme and his VA are just perfect for him. Aside from that, his Stand still does work the way it does in the manga (The Hand could remove space to make Okuyasu teleport forward, he has the flyswatter akin to Kuwabara's from Yu Yu Hakusho).

Rohan I just feel bad for because they really needed to do SOMEthing with Heaven's Door since it wasn't really used as a battle Stand. And that's not gettin' into how Part 5 and 6 really got screwed on antagonists (And 6 didn't even have Weather Report or FF for protags! That was lame)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Parts 6 and 7 really got screwed on characters in general, honestly. At least they squeezed in Annasui.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I was just disappointed by the total lack of Part 5 antagonists. Like yeah we got Diavolo and he's fun to play with, but no La Squadra guys or anything? Come oooon.

Also if/when they make ASB 2, I just want Speedwagon playable so he can be the game's Dan. :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It shouldn't really need to be said that two people doing a lot of nothing make the game look dull. However it is as slow as it looks and yes there are some characters who are either pointless or braindead to play. I'd say off the top of my head the pointless characters are Okuyasu, Ermes, Iggy, and the two Yardbomb mentioned. Some more braindead characters were like PB Dio, Diavolo was one too until they nerfed the hell out of him, and Pucci is sort of too in that he is built around one goal yet none of his tools are effective in getting to said goal unless you've got full meter.

On the subject of sequels, this game is weird in how it's been received in Japan. It sold record numbers in its first week but also had an unbelievably huge drop off in the following week. Fans sort of started complaining because of having to unlock everything through a social game styled mode, very low effort story mode, and other petty things. It was so bad at one point the game was deemed a kusoge, a more affectionate term than others, but still a term that is earned through a host of bad decisions made with your game. I dunno if it's still considered one but that was shocking for me to see. Araki liked the game a lot though, so it's really up in the air if this getting a sequel.

Most of that stuff has been changed.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Hermes is the type of character you need to "play right". Okuyasu is just...slow, but for good reason, since his attacks are unblockable. Iggy has some interesting stuff going on with his gliding and special shield, but he has the defense of wet tissue.

And yeah like others said, the game right now is completely different and better than when it first came out.

Iggore
May 6, 2009
I watched the series, and it doesnt live up to the first and second episodes. It turns out that there was more tension in the boxe ring between an overprivileged kid and an evil orphan, than between a vampire and some random mysterious monks.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Okuyasu is just...slow, but for good reason, since his attacks are unblockable.

Okuyasu is one of those characters that most people are really bad with, but I've been up against some people that just stay on you constantly and never let you be where you want with all those pulls and movement skills.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Iggore posted:

I watched the series, and it doesnt live up to the first and second episodes. It turns out that there was more tension in the boxe ring between an overprivileged kid and an evil orphan, than between a vampire and some random mysterious monks.

Part 1 is regarded as one of the weakest parts anyway. Once you get to Stardust Crusaders, the series gets so much better.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iggore posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you haven't watched any of Joseph's episodes.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Iggore posted:

At least get to Part 2 before you say this.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Most of that stuff has been changed.

I entered the Jojos side tournament at Frosty Faustings, and played casuals for a few hours to try out some random DLC guys I never got (Baoh is dumb as poo poo, it's hilarious), and it really really isn't.

The game's pace is still glacial, damage is still way too low, matches still take too long, and the game's flow is still janky as poo poo and prone to interruption. There's no real reason the framerate should be so inconsistent and controlling your character shouldn't feel like moving through molasses, and I can't really imagine a way for them to fix the game without overhauling or straight out redoing the engine.

The game is fanservice-y as poo poo, and I love all the little poo poo they snuck into it, but as a one-on-one fighter, it has a lot of problems.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

S-Alpha posted:

I entered the Jojos side tournament at Frosty Faustings, and played casuals for a few hours to try out some random DLC guys I never got (Baoh is dumb as poo poo, it's hilarious), and it really really isn't.

The game's pace is still glacial, damage is still way too low, matches still take too long, and the game's flow is still janky as poo poo and prone to interruption. There's no real reason the framerate should be so inconsistent and controlling your character shouldn't feel like moving through molasses, and I can't really imagine a way for them to fix the game without overhauling or straight out redoing the engine.

The game is fanservice-y as poo poo, and I love all the little poo poo they snuck into it, but as a one-on-one fighter, it has a lot of problems.

I made the mistake of importing it because JoJo and played it once and that was it. It will probably never leave its case again, sadly.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

At least get to Part 2 before you say this.

Just start from Part 3. Part 1 and 2 can be largely ignored.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

ArcadePark posted:

You are wrong because part two cannot be ignored. Part one's kinda boring but at least it's pretty short.

dudermcbrohan fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 1, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ArcadePark posted:

Just because they can be skipped doesn't mean they should be. Part 1 is easily the weakest arc, but it gives the origin story of the Jojo's, Dio and the concepts of stone masks/vampires/the ripple. Part 2 is just as good, if not better than the later arcs. It just doesn't have stands.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

dudermcbrohan posted:

You are wrong because part two cannot be ignored. Part one's totally skippable though.

No Jojo part is skippable.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Part 1 would probably be cool to watch as a sort of prequel after reading errythang else.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

No Jojo part is skippable.

Except Part 1. I don't want people to suffer through that mess. I think Part 3 is a good place to start because that's when Araki starts getting good at what he does. Part 2 is kinda the experimental phrase; it has ideas, but the concept of Ripple was not a very good tool to use.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Yeah skippable is the wrong word here. Part one's not nearly as bad I as thought before re-reading it but it's really boring compared to the other parts.

dudermcbrohan fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 1, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ArcadePark posted:

The gently caress is wrong with your brain?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like Phantom Blood is short enough that you'd might as well watch/read it since it provides a bunch of context for later parts. It also has some great characters (Dio is an excellent rear end in a top hat and Speedwagon is just so lovably out of his league). While it's generic, that hardly means it is bad and should be skipped. At least try it and if you really can't make it through then go ahead and skip.

Also this exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doCrC3dUq14

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

ArcadePark posted:

:frogout:

Parts 1 and 2 are very much integral to setting up the entire manga, and not only that, but 2 is a lot better written and paced than 3. It doesn't help that 3 only has a garbage translation* that makes it even worse than it is already.

*Unless you want to pay out the rear end for certain volumes of the Viz release.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 1, 2014

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

ArcadePark posted:

This is crazy :psyduck: Part 1 is hardly on the tier of JoJo arcs after it, but it's not like it's some unreadable slog and it's only 5 volumes/10 episodes. And Battle Tendency is easily one of the best arcs, even if the Ripple became almost entirely pointless after it. Why deny yourself an awesome ride just because the way they fight changes afterwards?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wasn't there a reprint because of the new anime?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Uznare posted:

:frogout:

Parts 1 and 2 are very much integral to setting up the entire manga, and not only that, but 2 is a lot better written and paced than 3. It doesn't help that 3 only has a garbage translation* that makes it even worse than it is already.

*Unless you want to pay out the rear end for certain volumes of the Viz release.

3's translation is actually pretty decent, it's the scan quality that's poo poo (and that's being fixed, slowly but surely).

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

3's translation is actually pretty decent, it's the scan quality that's poo poo (and that's being fixed, slowly but surely).

Uh, no. It's actually really bad. It makes Jotaro fall flat as a character when he shouldn't. It also ruins a lot of the humor that Part 3 is popular for in Japan. I'd compare it to part 5's translation in that way, though it's not as egregious as that one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The official site for the Stardust anime posted this.

Looks like they're in the process of recording VO, if that's a script like I think it is.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The official site for the Stardust anime posted this.

Looks like they're in the process of recording VO, if that's a script like I think it is.

Yup they're doing voice recording. Schedule is looking decent for this season.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

ArcadePark posted:

I know Stands are the most important element in the series but let's not say things we can't take back. The chariot race in part 2 is better than sex.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Soulcleaver posted:

I know Stands are the most important element in the series but let's not say things we can't take back. The chariot race in part 2 is better than sex.

"As for Jojo, who couldn't bend the crossbow, he was riding on the only vampire horse he had left."

This is a caption from Battle Tendency which was written with complete and utter seriousness.

No one should skip part 2.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I still think "Nazi cyborg with abs made of guns vs. Aztec dubstep vampire with chainsaw hands" is my favorite "welcome to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" primer on what to expect.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've been slowly working through the JoJo's anime, and while I enjoyed it, it had alot of dumb stupid in addition to the briliant stupid.

And then we got to Episode 10. With Joseph Joestar.

His :fuckoff: was the most glorious thing I have ever seen.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Phobophilia posted:

I've been slowly working through the JoJo's anime, and while I enjoyed it, it had alot of dumb stupid in addition to the briliant stupid.

You haven't seen anything yet. Joseph is the best Joestar.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Uznare posted:

Uh, no. It's actually really bad. It makes Jotaro fall flat as a character when he shouldn't. It also ruins a lot of the humor that Part 3 is popular for in Japan. I'd compare it to part 5's translation in that way, though it's not as egregious as that one.

This is the first time I've heard anything about this, do you have any examples?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, I felt like Part 1 was an incredible slog after the first half or so and I really wanted to just quit. Then Joseph was on screen for about two minutes and already completely redeemed the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Aside from being the origin and all that's kind of how PB feels anyway. It's good at first but after a while you're essentially just reading Fist of the North Star for the remainder.

• Locked thread