Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mu Zeta posted:

If you like Fringe I don't recommend Almost Human because it's disappointingly boring.

I disagree, Sleepy hollow had a great start but the rest of the season was merely good. Almost human is in my opinion the best new show this season, it is rare that a show is that good early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Helix seems like its going to be another good sci-fi show too, although I've only seen the first 2 episodes so far

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Revolution season 2 is way better than the first. I quite enjoy it now. Long odds for season 3 though.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Almost Human feels like a Fox show. I don't know how to explain it. Fox has a certain difference about them that I can sense in the shows I watch from them. I agree the two main characters make the show, but there are so many cliches or obvious one-liners thrown around it's goranworthy.

Revolution was so dumb in season 1 I didn't even bother finishing it.

Helix is good for what it is, but I don't see the long term goal yet. I've only been through three episodes though. Still holding out for a decent show.

I never got in to Sleepy Hollow, I might have to look in to it.

Being Human (US) has been around for a while and I'm totally invested in the characters. It's a show that I really like a lot and would really recommend.

I'm thinking of dropping Agents of Shield. It's just not hooking me like I'd like. I worry I might miss a plotline from the show in an upcoming movie though.

Edit for the non thread veterans, show suggestions:
Day Break
FlashForward (A lot of people think this show is crap, but I loved it)
Booth at the End (Find it on Hulu)

Aexo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 30, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Almost Human is saved by the ridiculously good casting of the leads. Helix is a lot better than I expected...

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
I find Helix to be complete poo poo. The writing is terrible, the characters are terrible, poor Billy Campbell is surrounded by people who have less acting talent and experience than he has in his left butt cheek. There are no surprises in that show aside from how stupid everyone is to try and sustain the illusion of suspense.

And my mistake in writing about Almost Human - I really enjoy it, just there are some Bad Things around the edges that are very distracting that I chalk up to studio interference based on chatter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

devoir posted:

I find Helix to be complete poo poo. The writing is terrible, the characters are terrible, poor Billy Campbell is surrounded by people who have less acting talent and experience than he has in his left butt cheek. There are no surprises in that show aside from how stupid everyone is to try and sustain the illusion of suspense.

And my mistake in writing about Almost Human - I really enjoy it, just there are some Bad Things around the edges that are very distracting that I chalk up to studio interference based on chatter.

Way to improve Almost Human - stick a helment on Karl Urban and make him the law.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Way to improve Almost Human - stick a helment on Karl Urban and make him the law.

The episode where he just executed the dude really brought the Dredd flavour.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Almost Human is fun because it's basically an 80s sci fi buddy cop movie turned tv show. It's pretty cheesy but it's drat good fun. Sleepy Hollow on the other hand is pretty boring despite the solid cast. The characters are just criminally underwritten and the one liners and jokes are worse than anything in Almost Human. The plot sucks too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is Almost Human going full Blade Runner and hinting that Karl Urban is actually a robot too? All I saw was the previews but that's what I immediately thought based on the Robocop premise of "Cop beaten 'nearly' to death, spent months in a coma, comes back and has to get over his hatred of robots".

Feel free to /spoiler anything pertinent.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Medullah posted:

Is Almost Human going full Blade Runner and hinting that Karl Urban is actually a robot too? All I saw was the previews but that's what I immediately thought based on the Robocop premise of "Cop beaten 'nearly' to death, spent months in a coma, comes back and has to get over his hatred of robots".

Feel free to /spoiler anything pertinent.

Nope. He has a synthetic leg.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that was my major problem. They did the reset and then proceeded to not change things all that much. Most of what they changed was very minor. It was annoying because Walter went backwards in his development from where we see him in Season 3, which also doesn't really go anywhere.

That's the thing that annoyed, and frankly, frustrated me the most about season 4. They took the Walter we knew and loved and changed fundamental aspects about his personality and history. This may seem silly, but I hated the fact that the new Walter was afraid of the outside world and never left the lab. The Walter we knew loved to go out into the world, and into the field. The alluded to the idea that it was possibly another alternate universe in the first half of the season, and even though we learned that it was the same universe with an altered timeline, it felt like an alternate universe. For example, Nina adopting Olivia after the cortexaphan trials has nothing to do with Peter dying in the lake, unless I missed something.

Aexo posted:

Edit for the non thread veterans, show suggestions:
Day Break
FlashForward (A lot of people think this show is crap, but I loved it)
Booth at the End (Find it on Hulu)

Flashforward was a fun show. It's no Fringe or LOST, but it's fun. And I would recommend the Booth at the End to anybody with about 3 hours to kill. But I'll have to check out Day Break, that looks like it's right up my alley. I think I'll jump on the Sleepy Hollow train too, based on the ringing endorsements in this thread and the fact that John Noble is in it. Does Amazon have all the episodes up? Hulu only has the last 7. Worst case scenario, I'll just buy the first few episodes, which actually sounds like it's worth it.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Exploder posted:

I think I'll jump on the Sleepy Hollow train too, based on the ringing endorsements in this thread and the fact that John Noble is in it. Does Amazon have all the episodes up? Hulu only has the last 7. Worst case scenario, I'll just buy the first few episodes, which actually sounds like it's worth it.

The season just finished airing its 13 episodes (two part finale is listed on Amazon as episode 12), all of which are on Amazon, yup.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Exploder posted:

For example, Nina adopting Olivia after the cortexaphan trials has nothing to do with Peter dying in the lake, unless I missed something.

Didn't they reveal that it was due to meeting Peter Olivia never killed her dad?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't they reveal that it was due to meeting Peter Olivia never killed her dad?
Yeah something like that.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah anyone in this thread that's on the fence about Sleepy Hollow, do yourself a favor and watch it through to the finale. Yes, John Noble is as awesome in SH as he was as Walter. Trust me!

In the SH thread we were discussing how to convince people to watch it, and "National Treasure (but better) meets Fringe" was suggested and it's pretty spot on.

Fringe is right up there with the X-files as two of my favorite shows ever and Sleepy Hollow is well on its way to join those. The leads have fantastic chemistry and all the actors look like they have a blast making the show; check out Orlando Jones' twitter feed sometime.

Also the SH show runners supposedly have a 5 year plan and are confident they will see it through to the end.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 30, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

Yeah anyone in this thread that's on the fence about Sleepy Hollow, do yourself a favor and watch it through to the finale. Yes, John Noble is as awesome in SH as he was as Walter. Trust me!

In the SH thread we were discussing how to convince people to watch it, and "National Treasure (but better) meets Fringe" was suggested and it's pretty spot on.

Fringe is right up there with the X-files for me as two of my favorite shows ever and Sleepy Hollow is well on its way to join those. The actors look like they have a blast making the show; check out Orlando Jones' twitter feed sometime.

Also the SH show runners supposedly have a 5 year plan and are confident they will see it through to the end.

Well looks like I know what I am going to be buying on Amazon or Itunes this weekend. Great I now have Sleepy Hollow and Hannibal to watch after I finish my Fringe rewatch.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I dunno, I can't agree with the enthusiastic recommendation for sleepy hollow. John Noble is a watered down and less interesting version of Walter (hopefully his character gets more focus, I think they decided late in the game to make him more important), and the comparison to Fringe overall just doesn't seem right. It doesn't have the same freewheeling tone where you couldn't wait to see what crazy thing would happen next; SH seems very unwilling to take risks and over-serious. Fringe was just fun.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What show are you watching? SH is all about risks and is far from serious. I haven't seen anyone else with the opinion you maintain.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sleepy Hollow is literally all about seeing what crazy thing is going to happen next. It's exactly like Fringe in that respect.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

GreenNight posted:

What show are you watching? SH is all about risks and is far from serious. I haven't seen anyone else with the opinion you maintain.

I've watched the entire season and while there are awkward moments of levity all the characters glower at each other all the time and the whole thing feels like kind of a slog to get through. I don't know what risks you're referring to, it's exactly what I would expect from a network show about the Apocalypse and has rarely been surprising. The cast* and premise are good but the follow through and execution isn't there. I probably won't be watching next season.

*caveat: Orlando Jones.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 30, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Sleepy Hollow is literally all about seeing what crazy thing is going to happen next. It's exactly like Fringe in that respect.

Does the show ever have the headless horsemen using a shotgun?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, really. Implying that Sleepy Hollow is less fun than Fringe is crazy talk and something I haven't heard before. drat, there are so many things about SH I want to mention to convince anyone still on the fence, but then this post would be one big spoiler tag. John Cho and John Noble are both fantastic and shouldn't disappoint.

I will concede that some of the REALLY big payoffs don't occur until the finale, but rest assured there will be some :asoiaf: moments. Season 2 is gonna be balls to the wall, no doubt.

Just so this doesn't get too off track from Fringe discussion, has anyone heard more about a possible film? A casual search found some stuff as recent as July of 2013 but not much since. Although frankly I think the finale was drat near perfect and there's no real need to have a "wrap-up film" as JH Wyman referred to any possible movie project.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bobkatt013 posted:

Does the show ever have the headless horsemen using a shotgun?

No, he uses an M-16.

And no, I'm not kidding.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

Yeah, really. Implying that Sleepy Hollow is less fun than Fringe is crazy talk and something I haven't heard before. drat, there are so many things about SH I want to mention to convince anyone still on the fence, but then this post would be one big spoiler tag. John Cho and John Noble are both fantastic and shouldn't disappoint.

I will concede that some of the REALLY big payoffs don't occur until the finale, but rest assured there will be some :asoiaf: moments. Season 2 is gonna be balls to the wall, no doubt.

Just so this doesn't get too off track from Fringe discussion, has anyone heard more about a possible film? A casual search found some stuff as recent as July of 2013 but not much since. Although frankly I think the finale was drat near perfect and there's no real need to have a "wrap-up film" as JH Wyman referred to any possible movie project.

The only way they could have a movie would be a case that we did not see inbetween episodes or between the end of season 4 and the picnic. No Walter no movie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Exploder posted:

I feel the same way, but looking back on it, I don't see what else they could have done. It was the Observers' plan to erase Peter from the timeline anyway.

You know that it was actually the writers plan, don't you? It's bullshit to treat fiction like an historical document when the writers could've taken literally any direction and made it work within the larger fiction because they create both of them from scratch.

Also Fringe went downhill from the end of Season Two onwards.

The main problems with the changes Peter found in the Season Four timeline is that it felt like the writers came up with the differences and then worked backwards to how Peter dying caused them, rather than it being a fluid, meaningful line of change.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 30, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pahuyuth posted:

Fringe is right up there with the X-files as two of my favorite shows ever and Sleepy Hollow is well on its way to join those. The leads have fantastic chemistry and all the actors look like they have a blast making the show; check out Orlando Jones' twitter feed sometime.

Orlando Jones makes Joshua Jackson reading fanfiction at ComicCon look downright quaint.

Regy Rusty posted:

To try and compare Fringe's pacing to Sleepy Hollow's: imagine if they revealed that The Pattern was the result of an alternate dimension in the pilot, that Peter was from said alternate dimension 8 episodes in, and the season 2 finale occurred at the end of episode 13.

That's Sleepy Hollow. They didn't need to spin their wheels for a season and almost get cancelled to light a fire under their rear end this time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Medullah posted:

No, he uses an M-16.

And no, I'm not kidding.

He uses both...in the first episode and it's not the only time hr uses them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Orlando Jones makes Joshua Jackson reading fanfiction at ComicCon look downright quaint.

Lets not say poo poo we can't take back, Pacey-Con was loving magical.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I dunno, I watched 10 or so episodes of sleepy hollow and lost interest. Demon/horror stuff is really bland to me, and the lead characters are both really uninteresting.

There are some parallels to Fringe, but I don't think it's as close as you guys say. And the characters can't even hold a candle to the Fringe crew, there's barely any rapport between the two main characters, and none between the rest of the cast. When you compare that to Walter/Olivia/Astrid/Peter, there's no comparison, not to mention the B-universe Fringe crew. And no characters in SH have anywhere near the depth of Walter or Olivia, even if you only take season 1 into account.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I thought the charisma between the two leads in Sleepy Hollow was fantastic and was very important to the entire show.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Sleepy Hollow doesn't have a Walter/Astrid, but the rapport between its two main characters is a bit better than the rapport between Olivia/Peter.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
About Sleepy Hollow, I was laughing so hard I was crying for fifteen minutes straight after the horseman showed up with the god drat shotgun and m-16. This show has the ability and willpower to go insane.

My only problem is in its fantasy roots rather than scifi. When you see the Observer for the first time, your mind swims like "what's the deal here?" There's an explanation, and in the Observer's specific case it was a neat one. For fantasy though, you don't say "what's the deal" when you see a demon. It's a demon, whatever, it can do anything.

If this show can really flesh out its personal set of rules and limitations it'll get really interesting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alcatraz, that other Abrams series with a similar feel as Fringe, made the mistake of not fleshing out their over-arching story, and was pretty dull. By the time they gave us a hint as to what was going on, the show was done.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hard Clumping posted:

If this show can really flesh out its personal set of rules and limitations it'll get really interesting.

The personal rules of Fringe were "Love conquerors all" and "Give Walter more drugs", I don't know that making it sci-fi had it being particularly more grounded than a pure fantasy show.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, for all intents and purposes the science in Fringe is pretty much just magic.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Oh god, I forgot about Pacey Con :allears:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
True, I'm not saying that Fringe was hard scifi, but like the various Stargate series, its strength involved introducing a bunch of technologies and then making them interact with one another in interesting ways over the course of its run. Like how Amber started as just a one-off horror thing that turned into one of the most often-used plot devices in the show.

With Sleepy Hollow so far it's just, "it's a demon. they put blood on the book to get him." My hope is they're doing a Fringe thing and making some or all of these one-off episodes actually the first entries in a rulebook they'll go back and explore more later. Like with the demon portal thing.

Rewatching Fringe after having seen the entire show really highlights how much they did this, even in the first season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Stargate was way better at that than Fringe. Frankly I don't think Fringe ever did a good job of having a consistent story, let alone mythology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Remember when the observers used to walk everywhere

• Locked thread