Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

TheDeviousOne posted:

Yea, I understand this. The problem I am having with it is that, like the poster above you mentioned, I could still be moonlighting in the evenings/weekends and netting the same amount of money as working 40+ hours while paying for childcare. I am seeing that preschool is beneficial, it's just really hard to separate that out from seeing your kids constantly sick.

My kids go to kindergarten and part time preschool and the first year each of them was in preschool (2.5 hours a day/2 days a week at age two) they were both sick from October until March. It is good for their immune system; it's how it works.

That aspect isn't what causes me intermittent unhappiness. It's that I have left behind a well paying career to stay home because it makes the most financial sense and the greater meta aspect of everything that's wrong with that sentence. That I've left an entire aspect of myself behind.

Some days, we're batting a 1000 and I feel like home is where I belong.

Then there's yesterday where there was another goddamn snow day and Liam hit Tim in the face with a shovel and I had to dig us all out and go to the ER for stitches.

It's an emotional battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I saw there was talking about SIDS on the last page and it's something that's been worrying me too. We got twin boys (identical) and they both have gas and stomach issues, probably a combo of factors such as:

-Mainly formula fed because my GF just doesn't have near enough for both of them, they eat breast milk every day though.

-Born 10 weeks early, both are on iron supplements (niferex) which can upset the stomach, doctor says they need it because they have to grow so much compared to a normal babys first year.

-Heart conditions. VSD & ASD, one twin has had open heart surgery but the other ones condition was much less serious and it looks like it'll heal on its own, at any rate they're both on furesis which is a diuretic.

Anyway a lot of the time the only way they will sleep is on their stomachs, they can be crying and crying until you turn them around. So we sometimes let them fall asleep on their stomachs, I sometimes go and put them on their sides after a while though. I dunno how much one really should worry about this but it's hard not to, especially after all they've been through and still will (hand surgery coming up).

We've had success by giving them dimethicone drops, and now we've also started on Rela D3 drops, both have had a positive effect. The older twin was practically colicky before, having screaming fits betwen 12-03AM every night. Dimethicone drops stopped that flat, but he still only pooped like once or twice a week. The Rela drops have helped him poop once a day at least.

Anyhoo, babies (Daniel & David are their names):

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 23, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Arthur is doing this funny thing in the morning when he breast feeds. If I talk to his mom at all he'll turn around and look at me like I'm an idiot. His eyes say "excuse me I'm trying to have a meal here." Then if I'm quiet a few seconds later he turns back around.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Ahhhh greatn, my son does that too--if I speak, or if anyone speaks to me, they get major stinkeye. C will pull away and give me/them the most withering look, it's hilarious! I also multitask and will eat while feeding him and if he hears me crunching/chewing something all bets are off, I have to sneak bites while he's busy nursing. :)

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Briar has always been chatty and started learning words early (at around ten months she was very clearly saying kitty as a first word, followed by mama and dada), probably to make up for the fact that she was a giant hulk baby who took forever to crawl and sit up on her own, crawled for a few weeks at 13 months and then went straight to walking. She's 17 months last week and just these last two weeks have been nuts.

It's like she figured out how her mouth works, and her word count jumped from about 15 words to around 54 that she says often, and she's been surprising us by saying words that we never actually tried to teach her (mostly animals, I'm going to assume that TVO is responsible for that since the Kratt Brothers have a weird animated show on while I'm making breakfast); the other day we were at my inlaws' for dinner and she turned around and touched a tiny picture of a bumblebee on her highchair and said Bee, and last week when I was suffering through some awesome back pain my husband brought her to our room to cheer me up and she caught sight of our corn snake's terrarium and shouted snake about twenty times at it despite the fact that she's never seen him before and we've never gone out of our way to show him to her because he's 11 years old and runs on pure hatred.

I totally appreciate how fast she's learning, but I would really, really like to get her to learn the word YES in response to questions. She uses NO and head shaking to indicate she doesn't want things, but she is also using NO when she means yes, and flips if we don't respond accordingly. I've been trying to repeat questions that I know she would say yes to by saying yes afterwards and nodding "Do you want more blueberries? Yes?" but she'll say No, and then freak out until I refill the blueberries anyways and then she is happy as a clam. I will also say things like "Here are the blueberries you wanted. Yes!" when handing them to her, but she straight up refuses to use anything but no when it's a yes or no question even after a month of trying. She doesn't shake her head when she means yes, so we do know what she means, but she's responding with no in a way that suggests that NO is how she thinks she is supposed to respond when you use a questioning voice.

Any ideas? Or am I doing this right and just need to wait for her to catch on? She can pick up words like butterfly (or rather buttfly, haha)after us telling her once and then she'll use it forever and associate it with specific objects and images, but yes isn't a noun so I'm stumped.

The monster in question:

Bonus: my husband somehow taught her to respond to the sentence "Briar, make the 'rage face'!" I'd really like to get her response on video, because she will take whatever she is holding and shake while attempting to crush it and make an insane supervillian face, sort of like Raul Julia as M. Bison in that awful old street fighter movie.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Hahaha, my son is 27 months and "no" is pretty much his default answer to any question he doesn't understand. You get used to it and you pick up on the other cues to figure out what they want.

The funniest times is when he thinks about what you've asked him and then goes "....no?" because I guess he figures better safe than sorry!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My kid is three and constantly says the opposite of what he wants to do. I'm trying to get him to understand that when he says something I believe him, so when he changes his mind I don't really know what he wants. He needs to tell me the truth when I ask him something, or he won't get what he wants.

"Do you want to feed puppies with daddy?"
"I don't want to feed puppies!"
His dad goes outside to feed the dogs.
"But I want to feed puppies!" followed by a tantrum

Language is a wonderful thing. Thankfully he's really articulate and clear, so it's not a misunderstanding of words, it's just him being 3.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
My little sister had a phase when she was about 4 where she'd get solidly pissed off at our parents and me because we couldn't read her mind. She'd be sitting by herself in a corner of the living room, reading a book, and then suddenly burst into tears and start screaming at us because she wanted a glass of milk and no one had given her one. Thankfully she learned pretty quickly that she actually had to say things out loud for us to be able to respond to her wishes.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

VorpalBunny posted:

My kid is three and constantly says the opposite of what he wants to do. I'm trying to get him to understand that when he says something I believe him, so when he changes his mind I don't really know what he wants. He needs to tell me the truth when I ask him something, or he won't get what he wants.

"Do you want to feed puppies with daddy?"
"I don't want to feed puppies!"
His dad goes outside to feed the dogs.
"But I want to feed puppies!" followed by a tantrum

Language is a wonderful thing. Thankfully he's really articulate and clear, so it's not a misunderstanding of words, it's just him being 3.

My (almost) 4-year-old still has this issue. For example, last night we were reading a book but it got late so I said he had to put it away and we would read tomorrow. He started tearing up and said "I don't want to read tomorrow!", so I said, OK, we won't. He then paused for a second and said "I do want to read tomorrow, I just don't want to stop now!"... so he's starting to figure out the right response, but it takes a while. He did the same thing 5 minutes later with getting his comfort blanket / bear.

raaaan posted:

I totally appreciate how fast she's learning, but I would really, really like to get her to learn the word YES in response to questions. She uses NO and head shaking to indicate she doesn't want things, but she is also using NO when she means yes, and flips if we don't respond accordingly. I've been trying to repeat questions that I know she would say yes to by saying yes afterwards and nodding "Do you want more blueberries? Yes?" but she'll say No, and then freak out until I refill the blueberries anyways and then she is happy as a clam. I will also say things like "Here are the blueberries you wanted. Yes!" when handing them to her, but she straight up refuses to use anything but no when it's a yes or no question even after a month of trying. She doesn't shake her head when she means yes, so we do know what she means, but she's responding with no in a way that suggests that NO is how she thinks she is supposed to respond when you use a questioning voice.

Any ideas? Or am I doing this right and just need to wait for her to catch on? She can pick up words like butterfly (or rather buttfly, haha)after us telling her once and then she'll use it forever and associate it with specific objects and images, but yes isn't a noun so I'm stumped.

Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong! Our guy had this same issue - he had "No" for a long time before he got "yes" even though he had other words. We tried to reinforce with gestures: Would you like a cookie? Yes+nod or No+shake. We also did the trick of responding to what they say as you noted above, but rather than just giving them something contrary to their communication, ask "Did you mean Yes"? Yes is relatively tricky to say for a toddler, so he got nodding fairly quickly after that but saying "yes" took longer.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 23, 2014

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
General tips about yes/no communication - kids tend to hear and respond to whatever you've said last. Even if it's not what they want. Also, I remember at that age when my kid would say no to something I knew was really a yes, I would repeat it like this: "blueberries yes or blueberries no?" Kind of reinforced that they had to listen to what I was asking and what they were saying no to. And it was more likely to get an answer rather than a knee-jerk no.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
We've had relatively good luck using "more" when we can.

"Would you like more grapes?"
"More. More."

"Would you like some more?"
"All done."

Doesn't work for everything, but it's helped reduce frustration at meal time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yesterday my kid was interested in my ears while he was in his highchair, so I let him grab each one while I said "ear." Then he touched each eye while I said "eye." Then he grabbed my nose and I said "nose", so he let go and shook his head "no". That put the biggest dumb grin on my face.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

hepscat posted:

General tips about yes/no communication - kids tend to hear and respond to whatever you've said last. Even if it's not what they want. Also, I remember at that age when my kid would say no to something I knew was really a yes, I would repeat it like this: "blueberries yes or blueberries no?" Kind of reinforced that they had to listen to what I was asking and what they were saying no to. And it was more likely to get an answer rather than a knee-jerk no.

This is how I speak with Liam. "Do you want yes pancakes or no pancakes?" It leads to some funny sentences, but has made things more clear. "I want a yes shirt, and a nooooooo pants pwease Mommy!"

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
My little goober Lauren has been sleeping alone in her room again for the last 2 nights. Prego is really happy about this since she gets some actual sleep now. I'm indifferent because she was sleeping with mom and not me.

Bonus - A goon in training:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wojtek posted:

My little goober Lauren has been sleeping alone in her room again for the last 2 nights. Prego is really happy about this since she gets some actual sleep now. I'm indifferent because she was sleeping with mom and not me.

Bonus - A goon in training:

Teach her to channel her diapers into her posts and unleash her onto GBS.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
My almost 7 month old is, to put it mildly, not particularly cuddly. She'd fall asleep on our chests as a newborn, but that quickly stopped, and while she loves "talking" with us, playing, tickling, blowing raspberries and exploring our faces, hands and hair (with gleeful violence, I might add, she'll launch herself at my face squealing with delight and bite my nose with two razorsharp teeth while grabbing hold of the hair on each side of my face to pull herself even closer, so as to bite the maximum amount of nose), she has no patience for or interest in "nice" cuddling, not even when tired. Is there an age where babies tend to become more interested in snuggles? Because while she's tons of fun, and trying to sneak cuddles without getting a finger in your eye or a kick in the throat is certainly a thrill, it'd be nice to get some non-violent love at some point.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

My almost 7 month old is, to put it mildly, not particularly cuddly. She'd fall asleep on our chests as a newborn, but that quickly stopped, and while she loves "talking" with us, playing, tickling, blowing raspberries and exploring our faces, hands and hair (with gleeful violence, I might add, she'll launch herself at my face squealing with delight and bite my nose with two razorsharp teeth while grabbing hold of the hair on each side of my face to pull herself even closer, so as to bite the maximum amount of nose), she has no patience for or interest in "nice" cuddling, not even when tired. Is there an age where babies tend to become more interested in snuggles? Because while she's tons of fun, and trying to sneak cuddles without getting a finger in your eye or a kick in the throat is certainly a thrill, it'd be nice to get some non-violent love at some point.

My daughter is one (omg, has it been a year already??!), and she's never been particularly cuddly either. I've started asking her "Can mommy have a hug?", and then she kinda leans forward with her head for me to hug her. :3:
Today she actually sat on my lap and cuddled for a long time, something she hasn't done since she was a little baby. She did have her vaccinations yesterday, so I don't know if it's just because she's feeling bad or if she's starting to be more cuddly.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Sockmuppet posted:

Rory's just shy of 10 months and this week he's started crawling over to me and reaching/pulling up on me to get me to pick him up after he's been playing really hard, and then he just wants me to hold him while he rests his head on my chest. It's a nice change of pace from his grabbing at my glasses/hair/nose/everything but I'm not sure if it's a permanent new thing or if he just wants more quiet time this week because he has another tooth coming it.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Sockmuppet posted:

I think some of it is personality. Tim was never a cuddly baby--social, happy, interested, lovey--but would never just put his head down on me. He didn't fall asleep on me (past the brand new stage) until he was 2 after he had a couple hours of school in the morning. Liam, OTOH, would surgically fuse himself to me if he could. Try having her sit with you and look through a board book. That might work for a couple minutes. ;)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Some people just aren't cuddlers/snugglers. I've never been at any point in my life. Hugging is totally awkward for me.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When I visited my parents for christmas, I was joking around and giving Jasper hugs and cuddles while he was trying to squirm away and saying something about him not wanting to cuddle with mommy. My mom made a dead serious comment about how I won't cuddle with her either. I told her I'm a 31 year old woman, you can't be serious and she said "So?" and got mad at me that I didn't want to cuddle her. :stare:

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

As soon as Briar was able to roll over, she wasn't interested in cuddling with us at all for months and months. I always felt like she just thought there were way more interesting things going on that required her attention. As soon as she figured out walking, she was suddenly super cuddly. She will often tackle hug me or my legs about ten times a day and if I am sitting on the couch she'll voluntarily climb up and sit beside or on top of me with a toy or a book and just chill and chatter at me or the book.

Re: yes/no

It's good to know that in not doing anything wrong per se. I'll try not to give conflicting messages, which I was a little worried about, but it's good to know most kids do this. Less good to know I potentially have years more to look forward to of no to everything, though. :(

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

I think some of it is personality.

Nooo, I was hoping no one would say that. I'll be so bummed out if my cuddly husband and I have somehow managed to make a non-cuddly kid.

raaaan posted:

As soon as Briar was able to roll over, she wasn't interested in cuddling with us at all for months and months. I always felt like she just thought there were way more interesting things going on that required her attention. As soon as she figured out walking, she was suddenly super cuddly.

I hope this will happen in our case, the thing about everything else being more interesting rings very true. She is social, happy, curious and loves interacting with us and other people, just not in ways that involve cuddling. I've resigned myself to the fact that for now, her way of showing affection is squealing with delight while grabbing handfuls of my hair and trying to eat my face. At least I hope that's what it is, because she only does that with me :3:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
My 6 year old is a way better cuddler today than he was as a 2 year old, though I wonder how much of that is feeling like he has to get it in now, because a big man of 8 doesn't do such things.

Also, it may be a matter of considering what cuddling is an alternative to. If you're stopping something awesome to cuddle, then I can see the resistance. This is another good reason to make a nice long drawn out and somewhat ritualized bedtime. If bedtime always involves bath, pjs, toothbrush, then a cuddle with a book, and it's not like a cuddle with a book is something that is happening instead of lego or playing chase, or power rangers, then kid might be more amenable to it. Though once you establish a ritual with a number of steps, the kids will take you to task for trying to skip one or hurry it along. Trying to just do brush teeth and then bed and skipping the song, or the cuddle, or the book, will have tradition-minded 2 year old screaming for a UN binding resolution if they think they are getting shorted.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My oldest is not a cuddler. She only wanted to be close to me if I was offering a boob full of milk, otherwise she wasn't interested. I can't remember ever having a cuddle session with her after she weaned. My youngest, on the other hand, is my cuddlebug. She just turned eight and will still snuggle with me on the couch while watching TV. She also loves to torment her big sister by chasing her around asking for hugs and laughing maniacally as big sis attempts to escape.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

sheri posted:

You have said you like your job, want to make a career out of it, and that you don't have the patience to put up with two toddlers every day...so it seems like you answered your own question. Yeah, it sucks that they are sick all the time but would you rather have them be sick now or be sick when they would have to miss time from 'real' school?

There really is no avoiding it. The GP told me that my second would be sicker than my first, because my first is bringing home all the germs from preschool. The payoff though (well, hopefully), is that my younger kid will be less sick when they start preschool. You're going to get it now or get it later, but you're going to get it.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I have discovered an interesting side effect of teaching my son that he shouldn't touch hot things: when we presented him with a cupcake with two lit candles in it at his birthday party today, he recoiled and exclaimed, "Hot!"

I didn't at all expect that, since I don't think he's really ever seen lit candles up close before, and he didn't have his hand close enough to the candles to feel any warmth from them. It was surprising at the time (especially since he then proceeded to shove the plate away from himself, knocking the cupcake over) but it's really cool to think about now. Language is neat!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
So my son has decided that since we've let him use kiddie scissors a few times that he now has license to cut everything. Today's victim included a teddybear I gave to my wife as an engagement gift :smith:

Anyone else had this happen or similar "artistic" mishaps? My parents told me I painted my grandparents' bathroom in vaseline when I was a kid, for example.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
My sister was a good one for that. She painted herself in Vaseline... all up in her nose, eyes... my mom had a good freakout over that. She also took scissors to her Mufasa plush and gave him a Mohawk.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
My daughter fingerpainted her bathroom in poop once. She was trying to wash out her underwear, after a night time accident without waking us up.

In hindsight its actually pretty sweet and cute. Not at the time though, no.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My oldest cut her own hair. Right before the Kindergarten school picture day. :(

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
My little sister once covered her face and every other bit of exposed skin with greasepaint. My mother was very surprised when she walked into the living room to find a small brown child sitting under the coffee table sucking her thumb.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My kid covered himself in sudocreme, I posted a picture in the thread, it took about a week of constant washing with a variety of different products before his hair stopped being oily grey.

When I was young I remember cutting the tips of my fingers playing with my uncles razor and then leaving little crescent marks of blood all over the wallpaper in my aunts house. It's probably one of my earliest memories - can't remember it hurting, just that I liked the shape it made.

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013
I think my brothers and I weren't that artistic, but visiting children -- oh my. My parents' friends were staying with us for a few days and their son took a nap in my brothers' room, woke up early, and decided to occupy himself with fingerpainting the wallpaper with some sunscreen he found. When my cousin was at our house for an afternoon and found herself unsupervised, she used a corkscrew to make a nice zigzag pattern in the armoire in the living room.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

I'm having a bit of a weird problem right now. My 17.5 month old has always been pretty big. She's really tall and built really solidly, and is starting to rival friends' four year olds in size. She's been wearing pampers size six for about seven months. We've generally switched diaper sizes to the next one up using blow-outs and leaking as an indicator. Seven months is a record for how long she's stayed in one size, but recently she's been waking up with pee all over her pyjamas. Not only is it leaking out at the legs, but it is also leaking out the front top of the diaper.

Her last drink of the day is a small bottle about an hour and a half before bed time, which is at 7:30pm, and she now sleeps through the night until around 7am. She doesn't get another drink until breakfast at 8 when we're all up. Despite this, she has consistently soaked through her diapers overnight for the past three weeks now, and I'm getting tired of all of the extra laundry that's resulting.

My issue is this: Pampers' Canadian website says that their cruisers go up to size seven, but I have literally never seen them in any store. I have been to several drug stores, walmart, target, loblaws, independent and freaking toys r us and I hesitate to say that they are always out of stock because that would imply that there is an empty place on the shelf with a label for them that would indicate that they ever had any in the first place. Talking to anyone about this at any of these locations has resulted in me talking to kind of confused stock boys who don't know what to tell me and can't confirm that they will ever order them or have them in stock.

I'm not even sure what in asking--what do I do here? I guess ordering them online is an option, but only if I can avoid paying shipping on already expensive bulk diapers. Ideas?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
My 23 month old is a champion pee-r at night, so we boost his diapers with diaper boosters. I'm not sure if they're available in Canada (you might be able to find some ones aimed at cloth diapering?), but we use Select Kids Diaper Booster pads (Toys R Us carries them here) and they work great inside a normal diaper. Sometimes we use two if we anticipate a wetter night than normal.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

raaaan posted:

Seven months is a record for how long she's stayed in one size, but recently she's been waking up with pee all over her pyjamas. Not only is it leaking out at the legs, but it is also leaking out the front top of the diaper.

They make special diapers for overnight use, which are supposed to absorb more than usual, but they only seem to go up to size 5. You could also try overnight Pull-Ups or Good-Nights. We also use this trick - plastic waterproof pants over the diaper at night. Any leakage gets contained in the second layer.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

VorpalBunny posted:

They make special diapers for overnight use, which are supposed to absorb more than usual, but they only seem to go up to size 5. You could also try overnight Pull-Ups or Good-Nights. We also use this trick - plastic waterproof pants over the diaper at night. Any leakage gets contained in the second layer.

The night diapers go up to size 6, my son wears them. I can never find them in stores (although you could perhaps ask the store to special order them for you). I have them auto-delivered from Amazon (discounts for auto-delivery! free Prime shipping! I get to sit on my rear end in my pajamas and the diapers just show up at my door!) FWIW, Amazon also has size 7 Pampers, but I honestly do not see how a 17.5 month old without some sort of growth disorder would wear a size 7 diaper. Perhaps you should look into a different *brand*, as different brands fit differently and some allow leaks while others in the same size work perfectly, and the brand that works for a newborn might not be the brand that works once they're walking. My son pees an INSANE amount at night, so he wears the night diapers with a booster pad in them.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Wanted to say thanks for this thread, and specially those who replied to my previous posts. It's been helping me with connecting to my girlfriend's three year old. We're really connecting now and he seems to very positive about his mother and I being together. I don't know if that will last or where it will go next, but it's still pretty great.

And I got him this German building kit that we've been playing with together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Fionnoula posted:

I honestly do not see how a 17.5 month old without some sort of growth disorder would wear a size 7 diaper.

She's a big kid--she's 34lbs, and while I don't have an exact measurement on her height, she's gone from being able to reach up on to my desk and feel around for things to being able to look at what is on my desk and decide what she's going to try and run off with because she can see over the top now, just over the past two months. She's not as tall as my four-year-old niece or my friend's daughter who is also four, but she weighs more than one of them and slightly less than the other. When friend's kid's dad saw her for the first time, his wife told him to guess her age. His response was 'looking at her, I want to say two, but I know that's not right because she was born the same year as our son.' She was 11 months at the time.

Her doctor doesn't seem concerned about her growth rate, and she's fine (or ahead--50+ words and phrases, and this past week she somehow learned to count to three and has been doing it consistently, even though I'm sure the meaning is a bit lost on her for now) in all other areas of development, so, I don't even know. She may be some sort of viking. Husband's family is tall, but husband is not because of some medical issues he had as a kid. My family is kind of average height.

Up until now she's been wearing size six overnights, and she's been waking up with blow outs at the top front of her diaper. I thought it might just be a fluke, but it's happened twice in the past few weeks and when I changed her, you could basically see that the issue was that the diaper was at its limit and there was literally nowhere else for the pee to absorb into, so it was being forced out the top of the diaper because she sleeps on her stomach with her butt up in the air, which made it the path of least resistance.

We've tried two other brands (Huggies and Costco), and both of them were instant blow outs at multiple sizes every time she went to the bathroom, and the Costco brand gave her a weird rash.

The good news is that I was explaining that we'd need to find some size sevens to my husband and he vaguely remembered a specific, far away drug store that he'd stopped into on the way into the city that had had some, so we managed to pick up a pack of 16, which was the only package size they carried.

We've been using them for night time only for the past two days and both times we've had zero leaks, so it looks like problem solved, except for how hard these things are to find.

I'm going to check in with my post office about how they handle Amazon deliveries--I live in Canada in a log cabin with a tin roof in a historical village that doesn't have local mail distribution--we all have PO boxes at the post office, and while they do accept packages for us, a lot of online stores will not ship to PO boxes as a matter of principal. I don't want to drop money on a prime account only for them to refuse to ship to me--I can certainly just leave my box number off the package, but there is a chance that someone else with my very common last name in town will end up with the package, OR, the package notice will end up in the right box with an angry letter from the post office reminding us to add the box number when ordering things and to stop making everyone sorting the mail's job harder. There are only three employees and they are all 50+ years old, so I feel bad. :(