Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dreffen posted:

International version is the one that has the dark aeons right? Is that the only way you'll be able to see those, probably?

It's the only way you can fight them, until HD anyway. You don't need to be on the Expert grid for it though, I know that much.

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually, for whatever reason, Auron starts out segregated from everyone else, just like in the normal grid. He can go down Tidus's or Wakka's path somewhat easily, but to go down anyone else's requires a lot more sphere levels.

It's pretty good for Khimari because he can go down anyone's path from the start, except Rikku's, which still requires a key sphere for whatever reason.

There'd be a risk of Kimahri being useful if that wasn't the case, which just isn't cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Nihilarian posted:

How could it retroactively ruin FFX for you?

I like to replay games every few years or so, but FFX-2 had such little original content that when I booted up the original again, I was immediately sick of Spira. The story and ending of FFX were also incredibly poignant, but retroactively making Tidus the make-believe ghost of some other douchebag and bringing him back as his own unique persona anyway...yeah, gently caress FFX-2. What happened after the final defeat of Sin in FFX was better left to the player's imagination.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually, for whatever reason, Auron starts out segregated from everyone else, just like in the normal grid. He can go down Tidus's or Wakka's path somewhat easily, but to go down anyone else's requires a lot more sphere levels.

It's pretty good for Khimari because he can go down anyone's path from the start, except Rikku's, which still requires a key sphere for whatever reason.

So just like the normal one? Like the original one required a level 1 (2?) to get to her.

Almost Smart posted:

I like to replay games every few years or so, but FFX-2 had such little original content that when I booted up the original again, I was immediately sick of Spira. The story and ending of FFX were also incredibly poignant, but retroactively making Tidus the make-believe ghost of some other douchebag and bringing him back as his own unique persona anyway...yeah, gently caress FFX-2. What happened after the final defeat of Sin in FFX was better left to the player's imagination.

To be fair, the fact that Tidus was a make believe ghost was always true, so the idea that there was someone similar to him in actual Spira actually kind of makes sense and isn't too stupid. The actual plot of FFX-2 (New War evokes memories of Old War, revives/is partially caused by Vengeful spirit of said old war) is actually kind of neat. It's the pacing and the things in-between that are kind of bad.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 1, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

dis astranagant posted:

IIRC the expert grid has fewer nodes and starts everyone in the middle where you can do stupid poo poo like make Auron a white mage from the start.

Yeah, the less nodes doesn't matter in practice unless you do something like stupid and pointless like use Break HP Limit.

Please don't ever use BHPL.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aurain posted:

There'd be a risk of Kimahri being useful if that wasn't the case, which just isn't cricket.

I'm 90% certain that the only reason Khimari was a part of the game is so that they could have seven characters to round out the seven celestial bodies theme.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I'm playing FFXHD on my vita right now and maybe it's my Blue Mage bias violently blocking my vision but Kimhari is the most useful/versatile member of my party right now.

I remember liking him for the very small amount of time I played on PS2 back around release as well.

But then again I'm one of those weirdos who's FFIX endgame party is Zidane-Quina-Freya-Amarant so there is a genuine possibility I'm crazy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm 90% certain that the only reason Khimari was a part of the game is so that they could have seven characters to round out the seven celestial bodies theme.

I think Khimari is there because otherwise they realized they had like six different species but your entire cast was humans + a single human with swirlyeyes.

The fact that Khimari sucks is just proof of S-E's innate racism towards blue furry people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I think Khimari is there because otherwise they realized they had like six different species but your entire cast was humans + a single human with swirlyeyes.

The fact that Khimari sucks is just proof of S-E's innate racism towards blue furry people.

FF12 had the same drat problem. You've got five or six really cool races, ones that are already well established in other games, and all you get is a bunny girl. Basch should have been a bangaa. Vaan could be a seeq. Balthier definitely should have been a moogle.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Sefal posted:

I think 5 chests at Remiem is the most difficult. I have never been able to get all 5 chests and win

I remember doing this back in the day, just took a couple tries to figure out the right path. There's no real skill involved, just find a youtube of which turns to make and it should be pretty easy.

laplace posted:

I'm playing FFXHD on my vita right now and maybe it's my Blue Mage bias violently blocking my vision but Kimhari is the most useful/versatile member of my party right now.

I remember liking him for the very small amount of time I played on PS2 back around release as well.

But then again I'm one of those weirdos who's FFIX endgame party is Zidane-Quina-Freya-Amarant so there is a genuine possibility I'm crazy.

Stone breath is pretty useful for getting rid of rear end in a top hat monsters if you're just trying to complete the game; efficiency-wise however you should be capturing everything. I think ejection kick against the bikanel sarlaac is the only real efficient use of kimahri in the whole game.

I'm kinda bummed that one of the trophies is "complete sphere grid with all main characters" because otherwise i'd just unlock steal and use then ignore him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

FF12 had the same drat problem. You've got five or six really cool races, ones that are already well established in other games, and all you get is a bunny girl. Basch should have been a bangaa. Vaan could be a seeq. Balthier definitely should have been a moogle.

If Balthier was a moogle I would forgive any other problems FF12 had.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man, kupo!

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Dragonatrix posted:

Considering this is almost definitely just the weapons themselves, and not fully powering them up, this is not even remotely difficult. There's separate ones for a few of the sigils; the chocobo racing and 200 thunderbolts for example. Though the racing one is worded to sound harder than it is - the description says to get a time of 0:0:0 when it almost definitely means below it.

Oddly not one for the loving butterflies, though. Probably for the best.

Excellent point; i hope you're right.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Redoing Blitzball to get that Mars Sigil is going to be one of the worst experiences of my video game life.

Jupiter sigil and if Dragonatrix' post is correct then I'm not doing it. we'll still have to play blitzball to get wakka's overdrives but hopefully not more than that. Just gonna grind out zanmato levels or see if max sphere grid characters are enough to take out penance without learning how to attack reels.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ImpAtom posted:

If Balthier was a moogle I would forgive any other problems FF12 had.

Oh man, an Ivalice non-Tactics game with a party of various races would be so awesome. Too bad it's never going to happen...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dragonatrix posted:

Considering this is almost definitely just the weapons themselves, and not fully powering them up, this is not even remotely difficult. There's separate ones for a few of the sigils; the chocobo racing and 200 thunderbolts for example. Though the racing one is worded to sound harder than it is - the description says to get a time of 0:0:0 when it almost definitely means below it.

If not, just ask me; I get perfect 0:0:0s all the time :shepicide:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So one cool thing about Lightning Returns that isn't obvious from the demo:

Enemies all have unique stagger conditions now, merely attacking fast enough isn't good enough to stagger. However those stagger conditions also come with unique debuffs now. When fighting a Fire Flan for example, you have to stagger it with ice attacks. Stagger it and it becomes frozen in a solid chunk of ice and is vulnerable to physical attacks. When fighting a Goblin, staggering it will cause it to become confused and start attacking the guys around it. Fighting a heavily armored robot and Staggering it will make the armor drop off and leave it vulnerable.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

...You know, it says something about me that my response to all of the X ultimate weapon and sigil requirements were along the lines of 'that seems reasonable.' I was fully prepared to just walk through the thunder plains and dodge 200 of them normally when I found a video of a place to cheese it fairly easily, and I had no real issue with the chocobo mini game or the butterfly one.

I think the Tales series broke me when it comes to bullshit sidequests.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

The main thing I'm curious about in Lightning Returns is multi enemy fights. They didn't show much in the demo, but I hope every fight doesn't become one on one.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

The main thing I'm curious about in Lightning Returns is multi enemy fights. They didn't show much in the demo, but I hope every fight doesn't become one on one.

There was at least one two enemy fight that you go through in the demo which isn't indicative of much but I'm sure it wouldn't just be all one on one.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm pretty sure Blitz is still a multi-person attack as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

There are plenty of multi-enemy fights. Generally they encourage you to either use multi-hit attacks (Blitz, the Ara/Aga spells) or to stagger one enemy to make it work against its pals somehow. (The aforementioned "Goblin gets confused") I've had as many as five in one battle so far.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, there were a couple multi-enemy fights in the demo, although how to switch targets was not immediately obvious to me, and radius may have an impact on damage. For example, a single Blizzaga was usually enough to kill one of the little floating guys when targeted directly, but it rarely killed them if they were just caught in the radius.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a problem in every JRPG ever with fantasy races. Tons of cool races, gently caress you, you get all humans and then maybe one of the weird dudes.

Shining Force is the only series to do it right. The number of normal humans in your army in those games can be counted on one hand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, there were a couple multi-enemy fights in the demo, although how to switch targets was not immediately obvious to me, and radius may have an impact on damage. For example, a single Blizzaga was usually enough to kill one of the little floating guys when targeted directly, but it rarely killed them if they were just caught in the radius.

The D-Pad switches targets.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

This is a problem in every JRPG ever with fantasy races. Tons of cool races, gently caress you, you get all humans and then maybe one of the weird dudes.

Shining Force is the only series to do it right. The number of normal humans in your army in those games can be counted on one hand.

I'd like to see an MMO or really any rpg where the traditional evil generic enemy races are the playable ones and humans, elves, and other traditional humanoids aren't. Like make skeletons, harpies, centaurs, frog people, snake people, demons, satyrs, rat people, golems, and so on the playable races. It doesn't need to be a full reversal where humans lack technology and are cavemen or anything, but just giving a chance to be not a plain old human or elf would be great. WoW sort of did it, but not really.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 2, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Endorph posted:

Suikoden is pretty good about it. The weird races aren't really common but they're portrayed as a small portion of the populace anyway.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Any word yet on when FFVI is coming out on iOS? I just feel like playing it again and I'm a weak, weak man.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

qbert posted:

Any word yet on when FFVI is coming out on iOS? I just feel like playing it again and I'm a weak, weak man.

Best guess: they utilized the "release on Android first so idiots will pay to do QA" strategy, so they still have bugs to fix.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't recall seeing this bit of news posted here before so here's something you all might be interested in.

Square Enix Accidentally Publishes Fanfiction for the Final Fantasy X-2.5 Novel

If only this were true

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's been four years since I first played it, and my former roommate and I will still text each other quotes. There are some that actually work - "you paid dearly for that" comes to mind, given that it's Wesker's voice - but most of them are just us going "vanish in the absolute emptiness of the karmic beyond!"

Me and my old roommate do this with Valkyrie Profile quotes because they're just so over-the-top.

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

Endorph posted:

"The breath of fire" series is pretty good about having non-human party members.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you preordered 13-3 from amazon they put out a fairly thorough mini guide for the game. One of the things I didn't know beforehand from the demo or reading elsewhere is that apparently chained attacks also benefit from proper timing like guarding does and get more powerful if you hit each attack right as the last one finishes. Also healing isn't limited to mediguard, potions, or foods. You also get curaga that you can spend EP on instead of just using it for overclock. The game should be pretty forgiving it looks like.

I like all the effort they seem to have put into the battle system and other mechanics and can't wait to play the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Excellent point; i hope you're right.

Jupiter sigil and if Dragonatrix' post is correct then I'm not doing it. we'll still have to play blitzball to get wakka's overdrives but hopefully not more than that. Just gonna grind out zanmato levels or see if max sphere grid characters are enough to take out penance without learning how to attack reels.

I'm not even doing it for the trophy, I just like Wakka enough as a power unit to max him out, gently caress getting a platinum on this game, that's something for my 10-year old self who had infinite free time and a more optimistic view on FFX.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
How do you monsters hate blitzball so much? That game was ridiculously fun.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Eddain posted:

How do you monsters hate blitzball so much? That game was ridiculously fun.

Yeah, what the heck? I spent at least as much time playing blitzball as I did the actual game. It's just a shame it was so drat easy once you got Jecht Shot and some good players.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Blitzball is dumb and stupid and a bad minigame, true fact.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Go play a Captain Tsubasa game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

alcharagia posted:

Only in FFX-2.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

alcharagia posted:

I don't think that's a true fact at all!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

alcharagia posted:

I enjoyed it at first but there are places in the arena where you can just stay still and the opponents spin around in confused circles and that ruined it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

gently caress the Bliztball hate that minigame is alright.

I mean it's no Triple Triad but what the hell is.