Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Fuyu-syogun was the first real ink I bought, and I still really dig it. Seems like a pretty standard gray at first, but then in the shading (and oh, does it ever have shading) you can see those bluish hues evocative of a cloudy day. Subtle, but quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a huge fan of Shin Kai. It writes nicely, but I feel like the sample I have is pretty much "blue pen" blue. Love how the ink behaves in wetter writing pens though.

Diamine Damson and Twighlight are my favorites from my last batch of samples, with Tsuki Yo being close behind. Next order I'm wanting to try out Syo ro, Kiri Same, and Diamine Prussian Blue.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Kirisame's gorgeous. It's grey but has a tinge, just a tinge of red in it.

If you have good paper and your nib puts down a goodly amount of ink, the shading will blow you away.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm a big fan of Iroshizuku. Love the colors and it seems to behave better then noodlers. Now I just need to find substitutes for bay state and air corps... Got a poo poo ton of blues and a couple green-blacks in the mail right now.

I am in love with Tsuki-yo. Going to finish off my sampler of it, then probably get a bottle. Although I will probably order the Iroshizuku sampler to try some of the other samples I always see listed here.

I need to try my sample of Fuyu-syogun again. Didn't really have the love for it the first time. Right now I'm using De Atramentis Fog Grey and feeling pretty underwhelmed.

This thread is great. I generally read it in one tab with goulet open in another looking up all the ink mentioned. Then adding half of them to my wishlist.

Nthing the love for Diamine twilight, it is fantastic.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Speaking of ink and Iroshizuku, I am looking for an ink color recommendation. I have take-sumi and I am pleased with it so I feel covered in terms of my black ink, tsuki-yo and private reserve ebony blue so feel covered on blues for the time being. I am looking for a general purpose color for writing and also music notation so something that would photocopy to a generally useable dark color would be nice. Maybe a brown or dark red? I can't decide and am still pretty new to this so just looking for some general input. Something that behaves well is preferred too (which is why I was gravitating to Iroshizuku as well).

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

rio posted:

Speaking of ink and Iroshizuku, I am looking for an ink color recommendation. I have take-sumi and I am pleased with it so I feel covered in terms of my black ink, tsuki-yo and private reserve ebony blue so feel covered on blues for the time being. I am looking for a general purpose color for writing and also music notation so something that would photocopy to a generally useable dark color would be nice. Maybe a brown or dark red? I can't decide and am still pretty new to this so just looking for some general input. Something that behaves well is preferred too (which is why I was gravitating to Iroshizuku as well).

I love De Atramentis Johann Sebastian Bach. It's a "vintage" looking deep brown/black that photocopies black.

http://www.gouletpens.com/De_Atramentis_Johann_Sebastian_Bach_p/da1106.htm

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

rio posted:

Brown or dark red? Iroshizuku Tsukushi.

Thank me later.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I couldn't find this in the OP, but on the front of non-waterproof ink (like something that would wash out of clothes), what are the best options in blue/black?

I'm not signing trusts or anything important, it's mainly for some notetaking and general writing.

Also, if I'm going to class or something, would it be weird to have an ink bottle with me just in case, or would I carry a cartridge instead?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I couldn't find this in the OP, but on the front of non-waterproof ink (like something that would wash out of clothes), what are the best options in blue/black?

If you get non-bulletproof ink on clothing, Carbona makes a stain treatment that will take it out pretty well. The bigger the stain the worse it is to get it all out though, I managed to flick a nice splatter of ebony green on my shirt and made a blot the size of my thumb. After a lot of blotting with stain remover the stain is just a faint shadow. The smaller drops are completely gone.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, if I'm going to class or something, would it be weird to have an ink bottle with me just in case, or would I carry a cartridge instead?

I carry a spare cartridge with the one pen I use a cartridge with. Otherwise I have a small inkwell that I took with me on exam days. With my normal writing, a converter would last me a week of classes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a specific travel inkwell or something?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
If you use a TWSBI Vac 700/Diamond 580 then they make specific small ink bottles that were intended for easy filling but make really good travel inkwells.

As for a good blue/black ink you have hundreds of choices, that's one of the cool things about using fountain pens. I'd recommend trying Pilot Iroshizuku as an awesomely well behaved ink - Take-Sumi, Asa-Gao, Kon-Peki, Shin-Kai, Tsuki-Yo etc.

kim jong-illin fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 1, 2014

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Even a small converter will last you a day of classes unless you're just covering sheets with writing non-stop. You should be fine without.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Yes, but I typically forget to re-ink and I don't want to run out halfway through the day, just in case.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a specific travel inkwell or something?

Here's one for $70 Here is a video about how to use it.

Here are a bunch in the $13-25 range Their caps are made to work with TWSBI pens, but they're also perfectly serviceable ink wells on their own. The Diamond ones even have a plastic filling insert to make it easier to get the last of the ink into your pen.

As for blue-blacks, I'm not so sure about. Noodler's 54th Massachusettes is nice, but also a bit feathery in my experience. Iroshizuku Shin-kai dries into a nice denim blue that's very appropriate for a professional setting, and J. Herbin's Éclat de Saphir is a nice bright ultramarine blue that would be lovely for note taking. Noodler's also has a blue-black that's listed as "water resistant," but not bulletproof so I don't know how it would behave on cloth. Both Private Reserve and Scheaffer's Skrip line are well-behaved and will wash out of clothing with a spot treatment, so consider them if shopping for colours.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm not signing trusts or anything important, it's mainly for some notetaking and general writing.

If memory serves, Sheaffer do a nice blue that's washable.
Also, there's no shame in tucking a cart or two into your kit just in case. Bottles can get messy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I need to carry ink around I just use one of those little plastic sample vials. Have never seen much need to pay $15+ for a special bottle or inkwell when those work just fine -- other than the style factor since the vials are not sexy at all. There's not even much to clean up if I carry a pen with a converter and fill it straight from the vial vs sucking it through the pen.

I bought a big bag of them for pretty cheap, they're also handy for mixing colors or dilluting.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Think you guys will like this one.

There's a pretty special pen shop out in Oota-ku, Tokyo (where Haneda Airport is located) called Asahiya Kami Bungu. The current owners, Yasukazu Hagiwara and his wife, are the third generation of shopkeepers, the store having been passed down through the family since 1910. They are stationery experts, and know more about Japanese stationery and fountain pens than you and I combined will ever learn in our lifetimes. The shop is very low-profile in the Western fountain pen world, but known to many pen enthusiasts here in Japan.
JP: http://www.asahiyakami.co.jp/index.htm
EN: http://www.japanshop-quill.com/index.htm

More importantly, for you nib addicts out there, Asahiya has a, shall we say, very special working relationship with Pilot. Forget the limited edition maki-e pens available at the usual haunts such as Itoya; Asahiya and Pilot collaborate to make special but more importantly functional pens that you and I can actually use daily. For instance, check out their version of the flagship Pilot Custom 845:
EN: http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom845.php

Yes, that's a special vermillion instead of black urushi coating that is exclusive to one shop in the entire world - Asahiya. But go further down: what's this?

-- wha? Yes, those are Pilot #15 Falcon and Waverly nibs, the former being a semi-flex nib and the latter a nib where the tip has been upturned to provide a bigger sweet spot. Such a tip is usually only found on needlepoint nibs or at special request from a nibmeister. (See Richard Binder's page for an example: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=pens/nibs.htm)

If you check out Pilot's website you'll see these nibs are usually only available on the 743. You might be able to find someone to bolt them onto another pen for you, but you'll void your warranty. Asahiya, however, gets these specially and directly made by Pilot.

I picked up an 845 with a Waverly nib. The short of it is that it's brilliant. You get all the joy of a Custom 845 with its gorgeous, traditional high-quality finish plus an extremely special nib with a sweet spot the size of a small house. You can find writing samples in the link above. I've been using it for exactly one day and I can already tell this is going to eclipse every other pen I own and become my daily writer. Pilot's attention to detail on its flagship pen verges on the disgusting - for instance, there's a tiny ring of felt built into the inner rim of the cap specifically to prevent your scratching the section and barrel when you go to cap the pen, and even the converter is lacquered in urushi.

You can order Asahiya's special pens through their English site. Just be aware that you will have to pay full retail price, so it'll be significantly more expensive than buying through the usual Japanese eBay sellers. If you want something really special, though, it's worth it. Their customer service is impeccable - they threw an eyedropper cleaning bulb into the box for me without me asking, and I got a long, handwritten thank-you (written with a Waverly nib) from the store owner.

edit - I also want to note that they have Pilot's crazy good daily writer, the Custom 823 plunger-filler, with the same special nib arrangements: http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom823.htm. You can get these at 30,000 yen, or around USD$293 at current rates. This is a really good price for a pen/nib combination you could well use every day for the next twenty years.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 3, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I know this is the pen thread, but is there a higher-quality mechanical pencil around? I've some times that I need to use a pencil, and would like something that isn't a 10 cent piece of poo poo.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I just bought a Lamy 2000 mechanical pencil and I don't regret a thing.

If you want fancier, you could also check out Yard-O-Led who made their name in mechanical pencils, or Rotring who make the de facto drafting pencil.

Yes, there are many fancy mechanical pencils around.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know this is the pen thread, but is there a higher-quality mechanical pencil around? I've some times that I need to use a pencil, and would like something that isn't a 10 cent piece of poo poo.

We call it the pen thread but it's really the writing instruments/stationery/going broke on paper and inks thread.

Honestly the best mechanical pencil that isn't going to cost you a goddamn bomb is the Pentel Graphgear 1000: http://www.jetpens.com/Pentel-Graphgear-Series-Drafting-Pencils/ct/861

It's 16 bucks and will last you forever and an age. There's also the 500 which only costs five bucks and change. These are drafting pencils so make sure you buy the tip size you like.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

If you're looking for something with an eraser, the Uniball KuruToga has a neat little "rotate the lead" mechanism that works pretty well, and it's fairly inexpensive. Downside is that it's plastic if you prefer a metal construction.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is my favorite mechanical pencil: http://www.amazon.com/Draf-Tec-Mech-Pencil-0-7mm/dp/B001DKJ55C/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1391441590&sr=1-2&keywords=draftec

The whole tip retracts into the body so it won't stab you, and mechanically it's nice and tight so you're not giving up any stability for the retraction. I like it quite a bit more than the GraphGear or even Lamy's pencil offerings. If you have an art store anywhere nearby they might have some you can try out.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Kessel posted:

There's also the 500 which only costs five bucks and change. These are drafting pencils so make sure you buy the tip size you like.

The Graph Gear 500 is cheap and indestructible. I've used drat near every flavor of mechanical pencil over the years and it's the best by far. (Staedler Mars plastic erasers also make a great addition if you do a lot of work with pencils.)

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

E4C85D38 posted:

If you're looking for something with an eraser, the Uniball KuruToga has a neat little "rotate the lead" mechanism that works pretty well, and it's fairly inexpensive. Downside is that it's plastic if you prefer a metal construction.

I'll vouch for the entry-level KuruToga as well. Despite being plastic, it seems to be fairly well built and is fatter than most plastic pencils.

The rotating lead thing is pretty nifty, it seems to provide a finer line than a normal pencil.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The vintage pen I impulse-bought from eBay turns out to be a red Esterbrook SJ LJ with a 9556 nib. It's in fantastic shape apart from the dried-up and crumbling sac and the fact that the entire pen was loving filthy. I cleaned it out with water and cotton swabs, and now it's gorgeous.

So now I have to get some tools and supplies and re-sac this pen. At least when I inevitably decide I want to restore another pen I'll have the tools on hand already.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 4, 2014

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Any recommendations for a second pen? I have a Safari, but I'm willing to spend a little more this time. I'm still a beginner but I envision myself spending plenty of money on pens in the future, I'm getting pretty obsessed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Motley posted:

Any recommendations for a second pen? I have a Safari, but I'm willing to spend a little more this time. I'm still a beginner but I envision myself spending plenty of money on pens in the future, I'm getting pretty obsessed.

With the new price decrease, get yourself a TWSBI Vac 700. Huge ink capacity, affordable filling system, nice big nib and the ink reservoir can be completely sealed off from the feed. Also they're all demonstrators, with options for a blue/orange/smoke tint. I have a blue one myself fora while now, and it's a great pen.

If you want something a bit cheaper, you can get a TWSBI 580 (clear demonstrator w/ piston fill) or a TWSBI Classic (black/red/blue solid w/piston fill) for $50.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

With the new price decrease, get yourself a TWSBI Vac 700. Huge ink capacity, affordable filling system, nice big nib and the ink reservoir can be completely sealed off from the feed. Also they're all demonstrators, with options for a blue/orange/smoke tint. I have a blue one myself fora while now, and it's a great pen.

If you want something a bit cheaper, you can get a TWSBI 580 (clear demonstrator w/ piston fill) or a TWSBI Classic (black/red/blue solid w/piston fill) for $50.

After all the praise it's gotten in this thread would I be missing out if I didn't just get a Pilot Metropolitan? I only want one more pen right now, I don't think I can justify buying two, but would the Metro be preferable to either mentioned above, or are they all great pens?

e: spelling

Motley fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 4, 2014

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Motley posted:

After all the praise it's gotten in this thread would I be missing out if I didn't just get a Pilot Metropolitan? I only want one more pen right now, I don't think I can justify buying two, but would the Metro be preferable to either mentioned above, or are they all rest pens?

To be really honest, you are not going to go wrong with either of those pens. In fact I carry a Pilot Metro, TWSBI Vac700,and either a TWSBI 580 or TWSBI Mini with me almost all the time. They are my workhorse pens.

The Metro is amazing, and it is ridiculous how awesome that pen is for something that costs only $15. I personally, think everyone should own at least one, but that is just my personal opinion. It does have 2 drawbacks 1) I have only been able to fine it in Medium or Fine tip nib (actually, Goulet only carries it in a medium). Not an issue for me, cause I like medium nibs. 2) The ink capacity is rather low, especially if you use a converter. Lately, I've been experimenting with using cartridges with my Pilots, and then I am going to clean and refill the cartridges by syringe when they run out.

That having been said, the TWSBI's are amazing. I heart my Vac 700 so much. Metro reminds of a classic old school pen look, but the TWSBI has that modern demonstrator/transparent thing going on that is sexy. I think the TWSBI's blow the Metro out of the water in terms of ink capacity. I generally will become bored of an ink and want to change before I runk out o fink with the TWSBI's.

So, the answer is of course to get both. The answer is always to get both. (Seriously, though, if you have enough to afford a TWSBI, you can probably wait a bit and save up or finagle an extra $15 to get the Metro as well. Then you'd have both, and I promise you, you won't regret it).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Motley posted:

After all the praise it's gotten in this thread would I be missing out if I didn't just get a Pilot Metropolitan? I only want one more pen right now, I don't think I can justify buying two, but would the Metro be preferable to either mentioned above, or are they all rest pens?

The thing is, both pens are an amazing value for their price range. If you go for the Metro, you're getting a solid pen at an insane price, but it has a similarly small ink capacity as your Lamy. But if you don't want to spend all that much and you prefer a smaller pen, you'll love it. If you don't mind spending the money, care about ink capacity, want a choice of nibs or want a larger pen in hand, go for a TWSBI.

I have both and I have uses for both. My best advice is if money isn't the issue here, pick what is most comfortable in your hand. Hmm, the pens are actually closer than I thought, but the Vac 700 is a good bit larger than the standard TWSBI.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just a note about nibs and Metros: you can spend $7 or so and pick up a Plumix and swap its italic nib onto your Metro if you want something other than fine or medium. That's what I have on mine right now.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I believe that the Metro will also take the nibs from most other cheaper Pilot pens. So you can slap the gold-plated 78g nib and that super-extra-fine-needle from the Penmanship (if that's your thing).

It makes a perfect second pen if you already have a Safari. Those two pens have different enough features that you can get a good idea of what you want in a pen from them.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Budget's also an important factor. Try not to go broke buying pens and paraphernalia :v:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
That quill shop with the custom Pilot/Waverly nibs is selling Iroshizuku at 15 bucks a bottle; stock up and get some decent shipping and call it a day?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
My nearly brand new bottle of Private Reserve went moldy.

Fortunately Goulet Pens is sending me a new bottle.

Unfortunately it went moldy in my Vista which has sentimental value.

I'm expecting my ultrasonic cleaner to show up any day, frickin' snowstorm.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Are the free Noodler's pens that come with large bottles of ink any good? The one I have feels pretty cheap, but I figure that doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the nib.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
They're alright. It's a Platinum Preppy with the logo missing and it's not terrible for a pen that cost $4. A Pilot Metro would be leagues better, as would a Lamy Safari/Vista/Al-star, but those don't come free with a bottle of ink!

edit: the brush pen that comes with Baystate Blue is supposed to be pretty good as well. I forget what brand it's a relabel of, but it's a perfectly serviceable pen!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think I'm finally gonna have to toss the Preppy I was using for BSB. Not sure if the ink gummed it up or what but recently it's gotten to where it won't start and skips all the time. I'll probably give it one last good cleaning and see if that clears up the problem and if not, oh well. It wrote pretty well when it worked and saved my other pens from being stained so it has served its purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

As nice as BSB is, I've never found it worth the headache to use over other blue inks. I'm currently enamored with Noodler's Henry Hudson Blue, Air-Corps Blue Black and Pelikan's Royal Blue. Give me a well-behaved and benign ink any day.