Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

What's the prevailing view on titre testing instead of following a set vaccination schedule?

I'm also not sure if there's any real good data that determines what titre level is "protective" for a disease and how many dogs would truly be protected at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HelloSailorSign posted:

Has an ultrasound been done or discussed?

An older cat with vomiting certainly can have pancreatitis. Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Small Cell Intestinal Lymphoma could have similar signs. You could also have stomach (growth, ulceration, inflammation) or intestinal changes not visible on rads or bloodwork. Depending on the type of bloodwork run, other things might not have been ruled out, but that could be a long list.

Excessive drooling when presented with food can be nausea (related to primary problem) or even esophageal inflammation (which can occur from lots of vomiting or regurgitation).

Yes, we will do an ultrasound thursday if he doesn't start eating by then.

The poor thing acted like a bowl of room temperature unsalted chicken broth was out to get him tonight. one sniff and he raced out of the room. I've got pumpkin baby food and wet fancy feast lined up for tomorrow and if that fails he's going back to the vet Thursday at 9 am for follow up xrays, ultrasound, etc.

loving sucks.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

HelloSailorSign posted:

If you got the money for titre testing then go for it, it's your money to waste.

I prefer set vaccination schedules. Incidence of vaccine reactions is quite low and vaccines are cheap.

I don't want to spend the $120 for something that has far too many variables in it - dogs with a "negative" titer can still be protected from disease. Titer levels can change monthly or even weekly... so how often do you test titers? Yearly? So instead of doing $20 worth of vaccine every three years it's $360 of titer testing over three years and you still might do the vaccines anyway?

Braki posted:

I'm also not sure if there's any real good data that determines what titre level is "protective" for a disease and how many dogs would truly be protected at that level.

Thanks folks. That's what I thought, but wanted to check and make sure it was still the case. I'm still happy doing 3-yearly vaccines/yearly for KC but wanted the right info for somebody who asked me about titre testing instead.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rurutia posted:

The main reason I looked for a fluffy dog was because I think fluffy dogs are the cutest things in the world. So no, never shaving.

I didn't know primitive breeds were a thing. Found the thread though, thanks!!
The shaving thing is especially important for primitive breeds because their fur grows differently from other dogs'. If you shave them it'll grow back weird.

They are a thing! Your tiny little lump of fluff is, psychologically, closer to a wild animal than many other breeds of dog.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Update: my cat peed in the litterbox and begged for food this morning. He showed some interest in a few of the options i got to entice him but ultimately rejected them while still begging. At least he still has lots of energy. Going to call the vet back and see what she says.

2nd Update: No improvement. He will be hospitalized by morning to get some nutrition and tests. He's pretty grumpy but otherwise hanging in there.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 30, 2014

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Does anyone have advice on re-homing dogs? It's entirely possible that my sister and brother-in-law will be attempting to re-home their Havanese pooch, Merle. If it comes to that, I would like to be able to advise them as much as I can on the do's and don'ts.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Where did the dog come from? Why is it being rehomed?

If it's from a breeder, talk to the breeder about taking it back. Good ones will always take back their dogs at any point in the dogs' lives.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Merle is indeed from a breeder and my sister is calling them later today on her lunch break to talk with them. He's also only a year old. I'll text her and emphasize the breeder as a primary option.
Merle's being re-homed for reasons that are relatively E/N. Marital stress because of fights about the dog/money/family crap, brother-in-law not being a dog person in the first place, etc. But while it's E/N now, it has the potential to be down right detrimental to Merle if it continues. He's already getting shunted off to the side because of work and tiredness, they stopped going to training classes because of cost. My sister would rather see him in a new home where he'll get all the love, time and training he needs than turn him into a train wreck of a yappy, attention starved bratdog because she was too stubborn to accept that she's not able to have a dog at this point in her life, if ever again.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
If the breeder is shady or doesn't want the dog back, have them look at local no-kill shelters or Havanese rescue groups.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
My dog's just getting over a severe urinary tract infection. She's coming out of it pretty well, but her calcium levels are slightly elevated. While the vet says they're still in normal range, the vet says that she wants to be proactive and get the extra calcium out of her system before it starts screwing other stuff up. She told me to get some aluminum hydroxide for my dog OTC at the pharmacy.

I note, though, that all the antacids with aluminum hydroxide also have magnesium hydroxide, which I'm told is a laxative. The pharmacists to whom I've spoken have said no, but just to check: is there any way to get just the aluminum hydroxide?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Blenheim posted:

My dog's just getting over a severe urinary tract infection. She's coming out of it pretty well, but her calcium levels are slightly elevated. While the vet says they're still in normal range, the vet says that she wants to be proactive and get the extra calcium out of her system before it starts screwing other stuff up. She told me to get some aluminum hydroxide for my dog OTC at the pharmacy.

I note, though, that all the antacids with aluminum hydroxide also have magnesium hydroxide, which I'm told is a laxative. The pharmacists to whom I've spoken have said no, but just to check: is there any way to get just the aluminum hydroxide?

Yes, you can just get plain ol' Aluminum Hydroxide.

Here's an Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Hydro-320mg-Compare-Amphojel/dp/B005UNW9R4/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1391148845&sr=1-2

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Quick one but a new one to me. We recently rescued what seems to be a husky/Catahoula mix and besides the normal growing pains of potty training she seems to do a odd thing I have never seen.

When has her squeak toy and actively squeaking the hell out of it she whines like crazy. She doesn't do this when she carries it around, sleeps with it, run after it or plays tug just when it squeaks.

The nearest I can figure is that it's just so loving amazing filled with awesomeness she simply can't contain her self! That or a high prey drive? What's up PI?
BBCode (message boards & forums)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
That sounds awful. If you need someone to take her off your hands, let me know.

Please?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

For various reasons my dog who isn't really my dog was sent to his bed this evening, and told to lie down and stay there. He kept sitting up, I kept telling him to lie down. After a while he sat up and got half out the bed. I told him to go back, he ignored me. Eventually I was pressing on his shoulders and saying "LIE. DOWN." He continued to ignore me. The only thing I could think of to up the ante was to hit him, so I just gave up. Is there anything else I could/should have done at this point?

I should note I have no experience with dogs before him, and he is normally very obedient and well behaved. He is not used to being told off, and I am not used to telling him off. The whole thing from being sent to bed to being forgiven and taken out for a walk happened in less than 15 minutes.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Darth Freddy posted:

Quick one but a new one to me. We recently rescued what seems to be a husky/Catahoula mix and besides the normal growing pains of potty training she seems to do a odd thing I have never seen.

When has her squeak toy and actively squeaking the hell out of it she whines like crazy. She doesn't do this when she carries it around, sleeps with it, run after it or plays tug just when it squeaks.

The nearest I can figure is that it's just so loving amazing filled with awesomeness she simply can't contain her self! That or a high prey drive? What's up PI?
BBCode (message boards & forums)

Please go over to the Primitive Breeds thread and post as many pictures as possible of this puppy. Daily. That coat color is amazing.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Sanford posted:

For various reasons my dog who isn't really my dog was sent to his bed this evening, and told to lie down and stay there. He kept sitting up, I kept telling him to lie down. After a while he sat up and got half out the bed. I told him to go back, he ignored me. Eventually I was pressing on his shoulders and saying "LIE. DOWN." He continued to ignore me. The only thing I could think of to up the ante was to hit him, so I just gave up. Is there anything else I could/should have done at this point.

Maybe he just didn't feel like lying down, christ.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
Well for one thing pressing on a dog's shoulders is like the least effective way to get them to lie down, so you probably shouldn't try that next time.

My first thought was that you need to do more preparation at a time when you don't really need him to stay there, but I don't know. Were you asking him to lie there longer than usual or was something exciting going on? Do you ever send him to his bed and reward him for it, or just give him the command to get him out from under foot? You've got to build up to longer times or having him do it while he's excited, and you've got to periodically reinforce the behavior otherwise it'll just kind of suck for him and he won't be willing to do it.

I think you did right to just give up when you did. When you're frustrated and thinking about hitting your dog it's time to walk away and deal with the problem later when you have some better strategies planned.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

He got overexcited and poo poo on the floor, he's never done it before. I wanted him to know he'd been bad and I was cross, but also wanted him to just stay put while we cleaned up. He knows the command to go in his bed but I can't think that he's ever been confined there against his will. As it was as soon as I stepped away he tried to slink off, and once I turned and glared at him he went back and lay down until we went out a few minutes later. Standoff resolved.

Thanks for the advice regarding trying to push him down. He didn't budge an inch and I wasn't actually going to try and force him down, so I gave up pretty much straight away. I guess it's a good job he is obedient; I'm clearly hopeless at canine discipline. I should also note that this happened about four hours ago and we've treated him absolutely normally since, but he's still spent all evening looking at us like we're the worst people in the world.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

Much obliged.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Does anyone have experience with cataract surgery in older pets? My 14.5 year old min pin has had really mild age-related cataracts for a couple years. My vet was always pretty blasé about it since she could see pretty well and they were progressing sooooo slowly-- something about the cute being worse than the disease for a 6lb elderly dog? She basically said that any interventions we started would lead to Luna having to have her /eyeballs removed/.

In the last month or two though it seems like her vision has really gone downhill fast. I'm going to take her to a canine ophthalmologist for a secondary / better informed opinion, but has anyone had a good outcome from doing surgery on an older dog who's otherwise in pretty okay health? Do the cataracts come back quickly, or is there a decent amount of time when they can see okay? She's got another couple of good years in her, and I'd really like her to not be blind if we can help it... but I don't want to traumatize her needlessly, either.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

cailleask posted:

Does anyone have experience with cataract surgery in older pets? My 14.5 year old min pin has had really mild age-related cataracts for a couple years. My vet was always pretty blasé about it since she could see pretty well and they were progressing sooooo slowly-- something about the cute being worse than the disease for a 6lb elderly dog? She basically said that any interventions we started would lead to Luna having to have her /eyeballs removed/.

In the last month or two though it seems like her vision has really gone downhill fast. I'm going to take her to a canine ophthalmologist for a secondary / better informed opinion, but has anyone had a good outcome from doing surgery on an older dog who's otherwise in pretty okay health? Do the cataracts come back quickly, or is there a decent amount of time when they can see okay? She's got another couple of good years in her, and I'd really like her to not be blind if we can help it... but I don't want to traumatize her needlessly, either.

First of all, it is much more common for age-related changes to the lens to be something called nuclear sclerosis, which is cloudy and gradually comes on, versus cataracts, which are more cystalline looking and block vision much more effectively.

If it's the first one, usually that doesn't cause total blindness so I would be surprised if surgery would be recommended; it is also possible the worsening vision lately is due to retina changes and not the lens, which is something the ophthalmologist will look into before scheduling surgery. No point in replacing the lens if the eye can't process the light it can now get!

If it is cataracts, replacing the lens usually fixes the problem (though there are a set of complications that are possible, as with any procedure), and the lens is artificial so whatever process caused cataracts in the original lens won't happen to the new one.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My parents' Corgi is wheezing when she gets excited/exercises. They took her to the vet, but they just said it was from dry winter air in the home. She's never done this before though (she's 9 or 10) and I don't trust their vet (it took them years to figure out she had bladder stone+they gave her some cough medicine for the wheezing when she isn't coughing.) Should I get a second opinion? It doesn't sound like she has fluid in her lungs, and she isn't coughing up anything or coughing at all.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe try a humidifier in the house first, see if that fixes the issue. This winter has pretty much sucked.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Oh hey, wow. So, my vet has always said 'cataracts', but her eyes have the exact look of the nuclear sclerosis-- sort of cloudy in the pupil when light shines on it the right way. I've always wondered if cataracts just look different in dogs because she's never had that milky look to her eyes, you know?

Sigh. If it's that first thing, is there anything that can really be done if it's that first (barring any other weird stuff going on that the opthamalogist can look for)?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So I'm trying to break my chihuahua (mix? he's 10 lbs and all lean and the way he plays makes me think terrier - I can springpole him, he'll play tug for an hour before tiring out, and when he does get the toy in tug he shakes it like I see terriers do. He was a BYB guy that his previous owner said came with papers but it wouldn't surprise me if one of his grandparents was a JRT) of a habit. It's not a "bad" habit, but he sleeps behind my knees when i fall asleep on my side and I'm afraid of squishing him when I roll over. I don't mind him in the bed with me, but dislike where he sleeps in the bed.

The problem is his previous owner's ex husband used to beat the poor guy, so there's a lot of submission issues I'm dealing with as well. He's getting better with him the more I work with him because he is a smart guy and eager to please, but he still has a lot of issues as well. Minor seperation anxiety (I can hear him whine halfway down the hall when both me and my mom leave, but once he realizes we're both gone he quiets down and he is well behaved once he's alone - no chewing, no accidents, but there is the whining.) and serious issues when we return where he's so excited he pees, and while I've been working on being calm and acting like it's no big deal when we leave and ignoring him when we come home until he's nice and calm and not jumping all over us and peeing.

He technically is a therapy dog for my mom since she's 70 and has a few depression issues due to being old and in poor health and he's fantastic for that, but it also means he doesn't get left home a lot and is used to having someone that now treats him well around at all times. He's a great dog, and if there's a safety/security thing for him to sleep behind my knees, I'd rather not break that until he's got more confidence and doesn't roll over submissively the second I start to pet him, doesn't do the submissive urination thing anymore, etc. I work with him every day with training, and start and end sessions with easy things he knows like sit and up, so the confidence is getting there, it's just going to take time to undo 5 years of him being beaten/ignored/not treated well. I'm just terrified I'm going to roll over one day and hurt him. Is there anything I can do to try and encourage him to sleep at my feet or not right up against me so I've got room to toss and turn?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

cailleask posted:

Oh hey, wow. So, my vet has always said 'cataracts', but her eyes have the exact look of the nuclear sclerosis-- sort of cloudy in the pupil when light shines on it the right way. I've always wondered if cataracts just look different in dogs because she's never had that milky look to her eyes, you know?

Sigh. If it's that first thing, is there anything that can really be done if it's that first (barring any other weird stuff going on that the opthamalogist can look for)?

As far as I know, there isn't a treatment for nuclear sclerosis. But, it also usually isn't so severe as to make dogs really blind, so if her vision is a lot worse lately, maybe there's something else going on behind the lens, which might be treatable? I think seeing an ophthalmologist is a great idea.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Dr. Chaco posted:

As far as I know, there isn't a treatment for nuclear sclerosis. But, it also usually isn't so severe as to make dogs really blind, so if her vision is a lot worse lately, maybe there's something else going on behind the lens, which might be treatable? I think seeing an ophthalmologist is a great idea.

Hm. She also could be being weird because I'm pregnant or it's cold out or it's a month that starts with Feb and can actually see okay but is being underfoot and weird. I guess the eye doctor will at least give us an elimination of weird eye stuff and a proper diagnosis there since it looks like my regular vet might never have actually seen an old dog's eyes before???

After acting for a week like she couldn't possibly see well enough to manage the stairs on her own and needed to be carried... I just saw her zoom up and down three times with no issues or hesitations. Sometimes I think she's just trolling me in her old age.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Your vet should be able to tell apart the two, although sometimes it can be quite tough unless they actually take time to dilate the pupils. Nuclear sclerosis doesn't cause blindness though, so if you feel that there is impaired vision, then something else is definitely going on. She probably can run up and down the stairs really well because she's home and she knows where everything is. Do you notice if she's worse in an unfamiliar environment?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

She's not great in dim light, but she really does seem to get around okay. We were at my mom's house over the holiday, where she only goes maybe once a year, and she got around just fine. She doesn't tend to run into things, but she does have difficulty gauging distances, like how far her mouth is from her food or how high she is off the ground from the couch we've had half her life.

The stairs thing is really odd. Sometimes she really is fine, like today. Sometimes she's extremely hesitant and it sure seems like she can't see well enough to gauge the next step. It could be arthritis, though I'm not sure that it would ebb and flow like that with no weather changes and otherwise no sign of pain in her joints. The vet didn't notice any obvious problems in her legs aside from a little mild stiffness when she examined her in December and I brought this up.

Mentally, she's pretty sharp--remembers everyone she has ever met, even if she hasn't seen them in years. She's become a little selective about listening to commands, but I know she can hear and understand just fine when she feels like it (ignoring a 'come' command only to run up a second later when I say 'fine goodbye' which is an omg mom is leaving trigger-word). It could very possibly be that some days she doesn't feel like walking and she knows I'll carry her if she whines. I dunno. She's 14, clever, and doesn't give a lot of shits anymore.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

AA is for Quitters posted:

So I'm trying to break my chihuahua (mix? he's 10 lbs and all lean and the way he plays makes me think terrier

He's 10 lbs. You're not going to break him. I was thinking the dog was 3 lbs the way you were talking about it. I would have no concerns about accidentally hurting him. Getting him to move may be an issue. If he isn't good at accepting you rolling around a bit in your sleep (ie, if he pees) then I'd probably just crate him overnight if it's uncomfortable for you. That's what I do with my Chi since she's the worst sleeping partner ever.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

a life less posted:

He's 10 lbs. You're not going to break him. I was thinking the dog was 3 lbs the way you were talking about it. I would have no concerns about accidentally hurting him. Getting him to move may be an issue. If he isn't good at accepting you rolling around a bit in your sleep (ie, if he pees) then I'd probably just crate him overnight if it's uncomfortable for you. That's what I do with my Chi since she's the worst sleeping partner ever.

Crating is, ATM out of the question, unfortunately. I'm working on that with him too, but the previous owners would crate him outside. In south dakota. in winter. I dunno how the dog didn't freeze to death. But the crate is a major source of anxiety for him and since he's completely well behaved once the 5 minute mark passes when hes alone, so I haven't needed to do anything about crating him. So while I'm working on trying to show that the crate is inside, where its warm, and going in there isn't a punishment like it used to be, that's not a priority like the submissive pissing, the other crazy submissive behaviors, and getting him to stop pulling on the leash. (he never had a leash reall, last time the owners let him out, let him run all over the neighborhood, and when he barked outside the door he came in.)

I'm just concerned because I've tried to get him to move by rolling on him. Just progressively more and more weight on him, and rather than make any attempt to move he just laid there until he start weezing. And even when i rolled off of him, he stayed put. And a friend of mine managed to dislocate both rear hips of a mini poodle she used to have one day by rolling over on the dog, so having heard that story, it sticks in my head as a"It could happen to carlos" thing.

Anything I can do about getting him to sleep wth my om instead? She sleeps like a log and doesn't move. But he creates the most godawful racket if i lock him out of my bedroom. Even if I'm not in there. I think it ties into a lot of the submissive stuff, he has issues about not being allowed into places and bigger issues being confined. He's terrified of bieng in the car, even when the car isn't moving.

\/\/\/\/ Mom will take him to bed with her, he'll snuggle with her for a bit, realize I'm home and come sleep with me instead. Once I leave for work, he jumps up and sleeps with her until she wakes up. I'll go pick up a baby gate, see if that helps. He has a lot of issues that I didn't realize were so bad until he started to settle in. The more he settles in the more i realize how hosed up he was in his last home. The wife meant well, but was a clueless dog owner, there was another dog that "well, he had to be tough, he had the other dog to deal with!" so there's some...not resource guarding reall, but he'll take food and run away with it to eat it. He doesn't get growly or try to bite if you approach him when eating, but he does take his food elsewhere. He's got all kinds of submission issues,vet didn't do x-rays to confirm, but there's two spots where it feels as those his ribs had been broken and knit together a bit off, and the ex husband openly admits to kicking the dogs around when they did something to displease him. I want him to feel safe and secure here, I just don't wanna hurt him on accident. Especially cause he's my first dog. Great dog, but not without his problems, and he's smart enough to try and outstubborn me in some of the training stuff.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 2, 2014

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
If your mom brings him to bed with her does he then get up and leave, or do you guys just let him pick where he wants to be from the start?

edit: also have you tried using a baby gate to close off the room? I had a foster dog for awhile who would do that same thing when he was locked out of a room because the door was closed, but if I used a baby gate so he could still see in he was fine. Just a thought.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

xpost, appologies.

So i'm syringe feeding my cat an antibiotic/antiinfamatory after his hospitalization and i feel him swallow but when I let him go he starts working his mouth and makes foamy drool (no cough, no vomit posture/noise) is this just a reaction to the taste and he is salivating a lot or is he possibly getting the medicine back up?

My wife was afraid he was spitting it up and gave him a bit extra just in case and the exact same amount of foamy drool came back as the full dose so my money is on saliva but I'm not sure. Gonna call my vet about it tomorrow when the office opens but would like some peace of mind now, tia.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

xpost, appologies.

So i'm syringe feeding my cat an antibiotic/antiinfamatory after his hospitalization and i feel him swallow but when I let him go he starts working his mouth and makes foamy drool (no cough, no vomit posture/noise) is this just a reaction to the taste and he is salivating a lot or is he possibly getting the medicine back up?

My wife was afraid he was spitting it up and gave him a bit extra just in case and the exact same amount of foamy drool came back as the full dose so my money is on saliva but I'm not sure. Gonna call my vet about it tomorrow when the office opens but would like some peace of mind now, tia.

Which medication is it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Enelrahc posted:

Which medication is it?

metronidazole

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Metro tastes like poo poo and makes them foam because it's just that foul. Your cat will hate you much less if you put it in some empty gel caps and pill it.
Size 3 gelatin capsules
Pill popper

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Enelrahc posted:

Metro tastes like poo poo and makes them foam because it's just that foul. Your cat will hate you much less if you put it in some empty gel caps and pill it.
Size 3 gelatin capsules
Pill popper

thanks, i'll order them - but to confirm, He's likely getting the medicine and not spitting it up, right?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

thanks, i'll order them - but to confirm, He's likely getting the medicine and not spitting it up, right?

Yes, he's just hypersalivating from the metro because it tastes really bad. It's a normal response. Your vet should have given you some discharges or it should be written on the medication that it can cause excessive drooling.

Humans hate the taste too - I've been told it's a lingering bitter, metallic flavor although I've never had the joy of testing that out. Horses we give it to PR (up the butt) because they'll go off feed and get fatal colitis just because it tastes so bad.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Enelrahc posted:

Humans hate the taste too - I've been told it's a lingering bitter, metallic flavor although I've never had the joy of testing that out. Horses we give it to PR (up the butt) because they'll go off feed and get fatal colitis just because it tastes so bad.

Honestly, once I had a stomach bug and got some metronidazole, and I was able to take like, 2 tablets before I found it so disgusting that I could never take it again. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I tried our compounded chicken-flavored metronidazole and it is still pretty foul. I also have a friend who took it as a child, mixed with grape juice, and now 20 years later the sight of anything grape-flavored makes her ill.