Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blister posted:

Here they all are if you still need'em

Fantastic, I was going to edit them out of the Gamepro pages later but this is perfect. Reminds me that there's a picture of a dude making those faces on each of his high school yearly ID's, progressively getting hairier and crazier faced until he's literally doing the 5.0 in his senior year with dreadlocks flying out in every direction. It's great.

Also, pizza update: on my plate I currently have a slice of Texas Cowboy pizza(steak tips, grilled chicken, bacon, barbecue sauce) and chicken alfredo pizza. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

You guys, I think this video compression is getting out of hand.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reminds me of what Youtube looked like on my 80 mbps connection before I added firewall rules to disable Comcast's throttling.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
So I looked at the Steam store today, and I saw a game on there called Serena, which was free, so I decided to try it out. It's one of those "experience" based first person adventure games, but man, the player character/narrator has to be one of the most whiny people ever to be in a video game. I usually defend the writing of games like Dear Esther or Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs when other people call them pretentious, but there is just no defending lines like:

"We would joke that we needed to live far out in the woods because that's what our sex life was-far out."

"The stains on this bed make me mad, angry even!"

"Did this lamp destroy my marriage?"

"Stupid feeble minded woman with her stupid menial things!"

*while examining a dirty window* "It's like looking into my soul right now."

"Bah! I'm too angry to even think!"

I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm about 90% certain that this dialogue is meant to be taken seriously. You have to endlessly examine all of the objects in this drat cabin to advance the plot and get all the dialogue, and I'm also pretty sure I know exactly what the twist is going to be. I hit the escape key to try to pause/save my game, but it just closed the game. I think I'll keep playing it just to see how dumb it gets, and because it's free I can't imagine it's that long. Also, the eponymous Serena looks like Stephen Hawking in a wig.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

The best Giant Bomb content in the last year was them playing a game released in 1995 (or 2011 if you're one of those people). Jeff's garage and the Gamespot library are full of thousands of games they could take a look at and make entertaining. A drought of new releases really should not affect GB in any way other than positively, considering what their top-tier content has consisted of in the past.

Gamespot also has a whole room that is wall-to-wall green screen. They played Cards Against Humanity in there once right after the move, but I think it's monopolized as a fancy set for Gamespot shows now.

I do wish they would pull some random poo poo out of the gamespot archive every now and then. So many things they could be doing with the junk in there. Although you are right with the greenscreen I think, every now and then when I check in on GS there it will be as their background. I'm not really sure where the greenscreen would fit on their set right now though - they have it all well decorated and personally I kind of like how their set looks because of that.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I don't understand how people like things i don't someone help me out.

no need to understand anything, you are right and always will be dont ever doubt it son

E: that game sounds terrible, message it to Jeff on his tumblr, or maybe Vinny. It sounds like CONTENT!

VVV Same with me, we should all ask ourselves this question sometimes VVV

Another Person fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 2, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey posted:

"Did this lamp destroy my marriage?"

This was the first thing my eyes settled on when I looked at your post and I really like this line out of context.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

This was the first thing my eyes settled on when I looked at your post and I really like this line out of context.

Nanako really did love that lamp.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
Also, one gimmick in the game is A photograph of the protagonist and Serena that changes as the game progresses, and the facial expressions are...something else. Also, just got done with it, and the ending makes no loving sense. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I can't for the life of me piece together what happened, why it happened, and, more importantly, why I should care.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

404notfound posted:

Speaking of Metal Warriors, I always wondered if that ball mech was the inspiration for the droidekas in the Star Wars prequels, especially since both of them are Lucas properties.

Hot drat metal warriors was amazing for the one level I could make it through!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lavender Philtrum posted:

You guys, I think this video compression is getting out of hand.

Yeah, streaming anything from GB is absolute garbage now. You can get better quality just mashing download and streaming the video file through chrome.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I watched the Audiosurf 2 thing this morning and didn't have any compression like that. Maybe try one of the other settings like HTML5 and see if it helps.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
As someone who just bought the game and tried a few mods, the video compression (at least on the regular site player) kinda kills that quicklook. Most of the mods look pretty simple or crappy but there's a few that will probably destroy your visual cortex when played in a 3d setup or the occulus rift.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I don't understand how people like things i don't someone help me out.
I didn't mean it like that, i had the impression that the fans were the biggest critics of that stuff going by what jeff and others have mentioned about it. That stuff's hard to read from the outside, i guess i just wish those shows were more endearing to me because the basic concept sounds pretty fun.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
One of my earliest Nintendo memories was playing Metal Warriors multiplayer but essentially my friend and I playing house with the map. Those were some cool fuckin' mechs.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Progressive is basically like downloading it, if I understand correctly. I always use that option when streaming is giving me a hard time.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

404notfound posted:

Speaking of Metal Warriors, I always wondered if that ball mech was the inspiration for the droidekas in the Star Wars prequels, especially since both of them are Lucas properties.

That is uncanny.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Manatee Cannon posted:

That would be an amazing thread name.

Giant Bomb - "Did this lamp destroy my marriage?"

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
So for like half of that Audiosurf 2 video I was thinking "ok this is more Audiosurf with a not great looking new mode", but then they got to the mod support and Audiosurf turned into a (admittedly not super great looking) side scrolling shooter and I'm in. If that's the kind of stuff people can make before the game's even finished I can't wait to see what else comes out further down the line.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I got to the mod support part of the QL and immediately bought it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Did they show off that one where you're Sonic collecting rings?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Did they show off that one where you're Sonic collecting rings?

They showed off the one that's the Sonic 2 special stage, but not the Greenhill Zone skin for Mono. Someone needs to combine those two.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Blister posted:

Here they all are if you still need'em

My father used to be editor in chief of Gamepro so I have a million copies of the magazine in my basement. If you want, I can probably make some high resolution scans of that or something.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Wow I just do not understand the appeal of pro wrestling at all, it just looks bad and dumb to me. I guess that's how people see my japanese animes.

vvvvv I suppose that makes sense. I did actually like the NWO/WCW stuff when I was younger but quickly grew bored of it.

Barent fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 2, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WWE/WCW are things you have to grow up with. Nobody becomes a fan if they see it at 20 years old.

I remember I used to watch an hour of WWF Smackdown and then an hour of Star Trek Voyager played right after on UPN. I loved it when I was a kid.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I follow wrestling, but only follow PPVs these days like Jeff does although I even miss a bunch of them. I'm looking to get back into it proper with the Network. What I don't get right now is what is going on with the branding - there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two right now. Previously, to me, Smackdown was very slow and boring, while Raw was hyped up and full of heels. The rosters don't even seem to be as separated as I remember them being. What is the deal? Also, why does Orton have two belts?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Speaking of Jeff, he's having an...interesting time at a bar

quote:

Walked into the men's bathroom and found a woman hovering above the toilet seat. Glad to see Gale's hasn't changed?

quote:

This woman is claiming the she's the Super Bowl champion and I'm not going to bother correcting her. http://t.co/2Dhp08K4P5
:allears:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also Bam Margera is apparently a) still alive and b) at the same bar.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Mu Zeta posted:

WWE/WCW are things you have to grow up with. Nobody becomes a fan if they see it at 20 years old.

I remember I used to watch an hour of WWF Smackdown and then an hour of Star Trek Voyager played right after on UPN. I loved it when I was a kid.

Strangely my dad loves the poo poo out of wrestling and he started watching when he was 50. I'm pretty sure he likes it ironically though so that might be a factor.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Higsian posted:

Strangely my dad loves the poo poo out of wrestling and he started watching when he was 50. I'm pretty sure he likes it ironically though so that might be a factor.

I'm pretty sure everyone likes it ironically.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Another Person posted:

I follow wrestling, but only follow PPVs these days like Jeff does although I even miss a bunch of them. I'm looking to get back into it proper with the Network. What I don't get right now is what is going on with the branding - there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two right now. Previously, to me, Smackdown was very slow and boring, while Raw was hyped up and full of heels. The rosters don't even seem to be as separated as I remember them being. What is the deal? Also, why does Orton have two belts?

The brand split is gone, Smackdown is just the B-show now with the same roster.

They united the two big belts a few PPVs back with a Cena-Orton ladder match. I have no idea why they are still having him carry both belts unless they are entertaining the option of re-splitting them or they just like the way that looks.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

VDay posted:

Also Bam Margera is apparently a) still alive and b) at the same bar.

Oh dude you don't know the half of it:

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQGN8J18KA8

:nws:

Dude went even more mental.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

The brand split is gone, Smackdown is just the B-show now with the same roster.

They united the two big belts a few PPVs back with a Cena-Orton ladder match. I have no idea why they are still having him carry both belts unless they are entertaining the option of re-splitting them or they just like the way that looks.

They just had one of those two belts made, and the unification seemed to be a spur of the minute thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're keeping the option of splitting them again open.

Also to answer another of Another Person's questions: Don't watch Smackdown. It's the B-show, which is mainly used as either a repeat of poo poo you've seen on Raw earlier that week, or a dry run for poo poo you'll see on Raw next week. It's a step above Superstars at this point, and if anything important happens they'll show it again. Hell, sometimes they literally do "Raw Replays" on Smackdown where they will show an entire match from Raw to fill time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I used to watch a lot of wrestling, but now mainly only catch the odd PPV. Going to 3 hours per show was a huge mistake, there aren't many things that can keep my attention that long, and wrestling sure as poo poo isn't one of them.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

IRQ posted:

Yeah, streaming anything from GB is absolute garbage now. You can get better quality just mashing download and streaming the video file through chrome.

thats... exactly the same video the HTML5 video player plays

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I figured that was the case. Back when I watched both brands full time, some years ago, the only real big stars Smackdown had were the Taker and Batista, and the second one of those was a big reason I stopped watching it anyway. Dude is boring. Don't blame them for cutting most of the trash matches that brand aired.

Also, unifying the belts is so dumb. Unless they introduce more belts to replace the lost one, such as the Hardcore belt, they are going to have a tricky time building hype for one PPV match. Pretty sure the deal with the two main event belts was to fill matches at PPVs in the first place.

Although, if they are going to keep the title unified, I say they keep the two belts as a legacy thing. It looks dumb, but there is nothing cooler than multibelting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Another Person posted:

I figured that was the case. Back when I watched both brands full time, some years ago, the only real big stars Smackdown had were the Taker and Batista, and the second one of those was a big reason I stopped watching it anyway. Dude is boring. Don't blame them for cutting most of the trash matches that brand aired.

Also, unifying the belts is so dumb. Unless they introduce more belts to replace the lost one, such as the Hardcore belt, they are going to have a tricky time building hype for one PPV match. Pretty sure the deal with the two main event belts was to fill matches at PPVs in the first place.

Although, if they are going to keep the title unified, I say they keep the two belts as a legacy thing. It looks dumb, but there is nothing cooler than multibelting.

The belts were actually split for the brand extension. So Smackdown had a champ and Raw had a champ. It's the same reason that until fairly recently there were two sets of Tag Team belts, and the US Title and Intercontinental title are both still around. Well, the US title doesn't really count, because I don't think Dean Ambrose has defended it in like six months.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh yeah, I know that is why both belts existed, one for each brand. But both belts also served a PPV slot role usually. If they are moving towards focussing on one brand more (smackdown sounds like it is dying) but intend on keeping PPVs the same length, their only real options are to have longer matches or to have one match without title hype. Plus, it means 50% less opportunity to put over upper midcarders, which is dumb. They lose so much by dropping one of the two big belts.

The US and Intercontinental have always played second order and nobody gives a poo poo about them. I couldn't tell you who the current IC even is. They don't build them up. I feel sorry for whoever they give them to. I didn't even know the USC was still a thing. But they don't need to build up the Heavyweight or WWE championship.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 2, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TheJoker138 posted:

Also to answer another of Another Person's questions: Don't watch Smackdown. It's the B-show

But do watch NXT.

(Edit): IC belt holder is Big E Langston who is awesome and people do care about him. Hopefully with the second "major" title gone, the IC belt continues to be elevated instead. It was a pretty big deal back in the old days. Anyway, all of this pro-wrestling talk should probably go over the Punchsports subforum instead of continuing to weigh down this thread with it.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 2, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I actually have watched NXT and I actually really like it. Good talent on there. Commentary is shite on there though, but then, the main show has Cole, so that isn't much better. JBL as a commentator was a good move tho.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

For quite a while they were treating the second major belt, the Heavyweight title, about the same as they were the US and IC belts, so it's no huge loss. They don't seem to know what the gently caress they're doing with any of the belts, so having less of them is just less opportunity for them to gently caress them all up. What they should be doing is making the IC and US belts mean something instead of having two major belts. The IC belt at some point did matter, back in the Attitude era, it can be that way again. A big thing that would help this is actually letting the midcarders have some loving TV time to build up feuds instead of just matches. But nope, you wanna hear anything about the storylines for them it's all WWE.com and WWE app exclusives, so no one watches them or gives a poo poo.

E: And NXT has rotating commentary. If you can get a match with Renee Young and William Regal doing the commentary it's literally the best since peak JR and King back in the late 90's. Better, even. They need to fire Cole and King and move those two up to Raw commentary with JBL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

For quite a while they were treating the second major belt, the Heavyweight title, about the same as they were the US and IC belts, so it's no huge loss. They don't seem to know what the gently caress they're doing with any of the belts, so having less of them is just less opportunity for them to gently caress them all up. What they should be doing is making the IC and US belts mean something instead of having two major belts. The IC belt at some point did matter, back in the Attitude era, it can be that way again. A big thing that would help this is actually letting the midcarders have some loving TV time to build up feuds instead of just matches. But nope, you wanna hear anything about the storylines for them it's all WWE.com and WWE app exclusives, so no one watches them or gives a poo poo.

Yeah, that is an issue. The midcard belts should matter more through the management putting the time into it. Although, you say that one belt is less opportunity to gently caress up, it does also mean when they do gently caress it up, like putting it on Batista, the only real alternative is the midcard that doesn't get given the time it needs.

E: I don't know Young, but Regal commentates now? Cool! He sounds like a really good choice, tbh.

• Locked thread