Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

They have convenience stores everywhere, why would they need them in gas stations? Also remember that self-service gas stations only started in Japan in 1998 I believe, after a loosening of some laws, and even now only account for about 1/5th of gas stations, so in Japan gas stations just aren't really a place that you get up and walk around and buy things for most people.

Turn some of them into gas stations, then! It's kind of annoying to be on a road trip and have to make two separate stops if you want to refuel and get a snack. Not the end of the world, but it's so much more efficient that way.

I remember when my penpal came to visit me in the US (~2004ish), I showed her how to pump her own gas. She was terrified at first :v:

zmcnulty posted:

I could see it being pretty convenient though if they combined staffed gas stations with combinis. Do your shopping and when you come out your car is gassed and windshields cleaned.

Either do that or have the pretty much automated gas pumps so you can keep open as a gas station 24/7 with minimal overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Murphy Brownback posted:

Is a day enough to do enough there for it to be worth it? I'll be in Sapporo in a few weeks for a conference and may have an extra day or so to do tourist things. Would speaking absolutely no Japanese whatsoever be a problem?

Well it takes most of a day to get there in the first place from Sapporo by bus, so you want at least 2 or 3 full days there to make it worthwhile. I really loved it but I spent about a week mostly hiking all day and sitting in the onsen in the evening. It's probably entirely possible to get there without speaking Japanese but you should do some research beforehand. In Shiretoko itself there are two places, Rausu and Utoro, Utoro is probably the best place to stay, and it's where I stayed at the time. You can only get there by bus. Abashiri is a nice town too though, but farther away from Shiretoko.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Turn some of them into gas stations, then! It's kind of annoying to be on a road trip and have to make two separate stops if you want to refuel and get a snack. Not the end of the world, but it's so much more efficient that way.

I remember when my penpal came to visit me in the US (~2004ish), I showed her how to pump her own gas. She was terrified at first :v:

Either do that or have the pretty much automated gas pumps so you can keep open as a gas station 24/7 with minimal overhead.

Actually they've opened a few of the type in zmcnulty's pic in my area in the last year. They are extremely popular and are pretty much constantly packed, so I imagine you'll see more in the future.

Pretty much all the new gas stations around here are self service, and full service have been going out of business like crazy. Either they turn over to self service or are bought out, torn down and rebuilt as self service. The number of full service stations in my city is about 1/3 what it was 10 years ago. Self service is cheaper and open 24 hours so it was kind of inevitable.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Question Mark Mound posted:

Just found this thread and I'm really gonna have to go through and read through the lot of it. Me and some friends are visiting Japan for a little over two weeks at the end of March (in the hope of seeing the cherry blossom stuff kick off) and it looks like this'll be a good resource for things to do!

Our current plans are 1 night in Tokyo to start off with, 2 nights in Kyoto, 4 in Osaka, 3 in Okinawa and a final 5 in Tokyo again. We want to do a few usual touristy things like a see a Kabuki show, go to the Ghibli museum, shrines, eating Kobe beef, etc. One thing that I don't see a lot that we'll be doing is going to Okunoshima, because floods of bunnies are goddamned adorable.

Holy poo poo this sounds like the biggest waste of time ever. Unless you really love sitting in trains. Pick a region and stay there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Going multiple places is fine but first night staying in Tokyo is not time efficient.

Fly into Osaka, do all your kansai traveling then go to Tokyo. You save yourselves two trips of Tokyo to Osaka.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It was someone else who sorted out the flights but for whatever reason we needed to fly in to Tokyo. I think we're gonna use that first day to just scope out a handful of places to visit on our final day and get our bearings a little. There's only one Tokyo <-> Osaka trip, though. The second (main) visit to Tokyo is flying in from Okinawa.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

This is the gig here: http://www.songkick.com/concerts/18210954-wei-pu-you-ji-at-da-gong-sonitukusitei?r=related
I'm mostly into rock music and apparently this is a pop group so unless they're mega huge like Ayumi Hamasaki or something I can't vouch for how famous or likely to sell out they'd be! No need to go out of your way to help this random goon, I wouldn't wanna put you out! :)
Yeah, this is anime-pop, you'll probably get to see a lot of weird otaku if you go. I see tickets for this gig are on sale already, and them not selling out instantly is at least a good sign (the 6300 yen price might also be a factor). The venue has a capacity of 2500 people, and considering it's in Saitama there might be tickets left on the day, though they are pretty famous as far as anime pop artists/groups are. Remember that the gig starts at 5 though, and Saitama is technically outside of Tokyo, so it might take a little while getting there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tyblazitar posted:

Yeah, this is anime-pop, you'll probably get to see a lot of weird otaku if you go. I see tickets for this gig are on sale already, and them not selling out instantly is at least a good sign (the 6300 yen price might also be a factor). The venue has a capacity of 2500 people, and considering it's in Saitama there might be tickets left on the day, though they are pretty famous as far as anime pop artists/groups are. Remember that the gig starts at 5 though, and Saitama is technically outside of Tokyo, so it might take a little while getting there.
No huge loss then if we can't make it. Seems like a bit of a risk to travel that far only to end up having it sell out before we get there.

Our group is still trying to sort out what travel cards to get. One person who has been before said that we should all just get JR Rail Passes for the entire thing, but I'm thinking we might be better off getting it for the first week when we're all over the place, then just a Suica card for the last week in Tokyo and, I dunno, taxis or buses in Okinawa?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

No huge loss then if we can't make it. Seems like a bit of a risk to travel that far only to end up having it sell out before we get there.

Our group is still trying to sort out what travel cards to get. One person who has been before said that we should all just get JR Rail Passes for the entire thing, but I'm thinking we might be better off getting it for the first week when we're all over the place, then just a Suica card for the last week in Tokyo and, I dunno, taxis or buses in Okinawa?

A rail pass pretty much does you nothing in Tokyo or Okinawa, so your thoughts are correct. If you have a period where you will be traveling a lot by Shinkansen, then it will save you money, otherwise it isn't a good buy. In Okinawa I would recommend renting a car. Most of the sites are not really accessible by public transportation. It's a fairly easy process to get an international driver's permit (in the US you go to AAA and it takes like 15 minutes).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Hm, we'll look into a card (yay for Japan driving on the correct side of the road) although of our group, finding someone willing to drive will be difficult (between not being able to drive, one of us needing a special accessibility car for driving or generally people wanting to drink!)

I think for Okinawa there's only a little bit of travelling we'll want to do anyway - it's our little beach getaway in the middle of it all. We wanna visit the aquarium for sure and eye up a few Shisa statues but other than that, it's a lazy few days for us.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

You are gonna want to rent a car. The aquarium is on the other side of the island (a two hour drive) from the airport. Any beach worth visiting is also a distance from the airport, and not all of them have buses that go by

There are no trains to speak of in Okinawa, only a monorail that goes through half the capital city. There are a multitude of buses, but they are run by three different companies so the schedules can be confusing, and they are also not well known for being timely.

As far as drinking and driving, Okinawa has tons of daikou which is basically a taxi where they show up with two guys, one of whom drives your car and follows you back to your house/hotel/whatever. They aren't much more than a regular cab, either. You can use these with rentals.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Fair enough then, I'll pass that on to the drivers of the group!

Out of curiousity, whenever you say they're not known for being timely - how late are they likely to be? In my country, anywhere from 10 minutes early to 20 minutes late is considered "good enough" outside of the city for a bus.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm most likely heading to Okinawa for GW. Gonna rent either a motorcycle or a car, depending on how many people are coming with me :getin:

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
I'm looking for thoughts on a day trip from Tokyo to see Mt. Fuji in late February. The link in the OP is archived, so I'm posting here.
We're going to be in Tokyo for about a week and already have hotels booked for every night, but we're interested in maybe seeing Mt. Fuji on a day trip. We also really like hot springs. The organized day-trips I've seen online don't look that appealing. How feasible would it be to go at it on our own? Can anybody suggest a good itinerary?

Thanks for any help you may have.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

erobadapazzi posted:

I'm looking for thoughts on a day trip from Tokyo to see Mt. Fuji in late February. The link in the OP is archived, so I'm posting here.
We're going to be in Tokyo for about a week and already have hotels booked for every night, but we're interested in maybe seeing Mt. Fuji on a day trip. We also really like hot springs. The organized day-trips I've seen online don't look that appealing. How feasible would it be to go at it on our own? Can anybody suggest a good itinerary?

You can take a romance car from shinjuku on the odakyu line to hakone and bus it to get a bit higher. Really pretty once you get out of the touristy area near the station. Hakone also has a lot of hot springs. I would recommend an overnight stay, but you can probably get a lot out of a day trip.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

It's absolutely doable on your own. Keep in mind Mt Fuji is BIG, and it's the only mountain of its size around, so you can get some decent views of it from a pretty wide variety of places. I'm guessing those daytrips take you up to the fifth station? Agreed that's not so appealing.

It's simple enough to just do a daytrip to Kawaguchiko on your own--lake just at the base of the mountain--see the thing and head back. Hop on the train with no reservations, especially not needed if it's a weekday. If you like theme parks you can also visit FujiQ highland in the same day; there's even an onsen there.

But I haven't really been blown away by the onsen in Kawaguchiko. You could also consider Hakone (Green Plaza for example is open for non-hotel guests from 12pm to 3pm) as it's famous for onsen and has lots of Fuji vistas. Hakone is a popular weekend getaway for Tokyo 1%ers, drastically moreso than Kawaguchiko. As a result there's a really high concentration of ridiculously nice hotels and thus onsen. If you're just doing daytime onsen you should be able to find something fantastic for under 2000 yen.

You're kinda at an advantage by not staying overnight, because if it's raining or something you can just change your schedule around to accommodate.

edit: beaten on Hakone

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi Japan goons, can someone please go go over my itinerary?

Monday

Arrive 5pm Kansai, collect JR West Rail Pass
Train to Shin Osaka ---> Okayama
Oakayama ---> Shikoku. Check in at around 10pm.

Tuesday

Hangout with Goon, enjoy the country side, eat seafood

Wednesday

Take a train to Kyoto, Evening meal in Gion, walk around

Thursday

Usual Kyoto sights, ginkakuji, inari fushima, and a whole bunch of more temples

Friday

Girlfriend will dress up in a Kimono and take pictures walk around town and more temples

Saturday

OSAKA GOON MEET 7PM

Sunday Morning, miss Japan :japan:

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm most likely heading to Okinawa for GW. Gonna rent either a motorcycle or a car, depending on how many people are coming with me :getin:

Yo hit me up when you come down, I want to talk about motorcycles.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

caberham posted:

Hi Japan goons, can someone please go go over my itinerary?

Monday

Arrive 5pm Kansai, collect JR West Rail Pass
Train to Shin Osaka ---> Okayama
Oakayama ---> Shikoku. Check in at around 10pm.

Tuesday

Hangout with Goon, enjoy the country side, eat seafood

Wednesday

Take a train to Kyoto, Evening meal in Gion, walk around

Thursday

Usual Kyoto sights, ginkakuji, inari fushima, and a whole bunch of more temples

Friday

Girlfriend will dress up in a Kimono and take pictures walk around town and more temples

Saturday

OSAKA GOON MEET 7PM

Sunday Morning, miss Japan :japan:

I don't see any Kyushu on this itinerary. A Bad Itinerary.

Crudus posted:

Yo hit me up when you come down, I want to talk about motorcycles.

Done! Sign up on Gaijinriders if you haven't already, they're very knowledgeable. I put it off until last month (two and a half years) because I find the whole "we are gaijin" thing really obnoxious, but it actually appears to be a pretty solid community of non-douchebags.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm looking at a job offer in Yokkaichi, Mie prefecture, in the sort of general metro Nagoya area. I've been around in Hokkaido and points northward, but never been south of Tokyo. How is it down that way, both specifically in regards to the city and just in general heading more south that way?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 1, 2014

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

erobadapazzi posted:

I did that it one day when I went. What I did was fairly cookie-cutter, but it had a nice spread of activities without being too rushed.

I did the "Hakone Round Course", which requires buying the Hakone Free Pass. This gives you access to the ropeway, trains, buses, and even the boat across Lake Ashinoko. I took the shinkansen from Shinjuku to Odawara, bought the Pass in the station there, then took the Hakone Tozan railway to Gora, the cablecar to Sounzan, the ropeway to Owakudani (this is where the big payoff view will be if the day is clear-ish.. spend some time here and check out the volcanic stuff and the gift shop, too), then continuing down to the lake and across the lake to Hakonemachi. I then followed the old Tokaido to the Amazake Chaya teahouse and took a bus back to Hakone-Yumoto and trains the rest of the way back to Tokyo. If you want hot springs, though, you'd probably want to take the boat directly to Moto-Hakone and find an onsen to stay at for a couple of hours before busing back to the train stations, rather than spending a few hours walking as I did.

I wrote all about it on our blog, so you can read about it here. Just keep in mind, though, that I went in the peak fall season while you can expect mostly bare trees in February.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't see any Kyushu on this itinerary. A Bad Itinerary.
Visiting you means seeing piles of dirty thai newspapers and cameras all over the floor.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:allears: PR is hella cool

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
You guys are wonderful! Thanks for the thoughts on Hakone/Fuji. Slightly related question... I've got a pretty large tattoo on my back (I'm a girl). Will onsens actually care?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

peanut posted:

:allears: PR is hella cool

:hellyeah:

erobadapazzi posted:

You guys are wonderful! Thanks for the thoughts on Hakone/Fuji. Slightly related question... I've got a pretty large tattoo on my back (I'm a girl). Will onsens actually care?

Some (many?) will. You can gaijin smash it and pretend not to understand in some cases, or just undress with your back to the wall and be tactical with a towel (my ex had a back tattoo).

Alternatively, just do a kashikiri (reserved/private/family) onsen and not get stared at by Japanese people.

Mrs. Mahler
Mar 8, 2006
Why a duck?
I've got some privacy issues with the apartment I'm staying in. My balcony has the normal window/door opening from my apartment plus another door into the general hallway. Apparently the door to the hallway is locked. However, my very first week I moved in I woke up to see construction workers out on the balcony fiddling with wires. Honestly, I don't know if they've been out there more times. I keep my curtains closed now all the time since I'm female :/

There are also always construction people (or staff storing things??) on the roof. I'm on the top floor. No idea what they're doing but the noise always makes me jump (no power tools at least). Also, there's a notice in the hallway saying they're going to send someone to check the fire alarms in each apartment and that they'll enter using a general key if no one is home.

Is this normal? The lack of privacy is really messing with my head.

I also am wondering about electricity costs. Is one man a normal amount to pay for a month of electricity while using air con about 6 hours per day?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes and yes.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I've gotten the notices on the apartment fire alarm check at my place as well. But since they decide to do this on Wed. when I can't get off, I've never been home. I'm pretty sure they've never entered my place, but I suppose it depends on the management of the place.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks peanut for picking me up.

Sleeping on the floor sucks but Japanese baths put you to sleep asap

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
What's it like visiting small towns by car? Can you just park in the street or do you have to find parking lots and figure out crazy Japanese meters? I'm thinking of renting a car next time I'm over there and getting off the beaten track a bit, but after the experiences I've had in rural England I guess I'm a bit scared of what an even less car-friendly country might be like.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

Soricidus posted:

What's it like visiting small towns by car? Can you just park in the street or do you have to find parking lots and figure out crazy Japanese meters? I'm thinking of renting a car next time I'm over there and getting off the beaten track a bit, but after the experiences I've had in rural England I guess I'm a bit scared of what an even less car-friendly country might be like.

Everywhere I've been has pay parking lots - they don't really do street parking. It's all pretty straightforward, though. There is generally a number on whatever parking space you use, and you either enter that number into a machine near the entrance when you are finished using the space and pay whatever it tells you - or you just tell the attendant which space you are in. My Japanese is horrible, and I've never had a problem.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

GTGastby posted:

they don't really do street parking.

On the other hand the system doesn't seem to be very strict about it either, at least for short term stuff. Pulling up to the curb in front of Tokyo station to drop off a few passengers doesn't seem to be a problem, and there are always cars in the way in the little streets of my neighborhood, but rarely for more than a few minutes.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Outside of the big cities Japan is very car friendly. Street parking is allowed in some residential areas but you want to make very sure that it is allowed before you park somewhere because the fines can be ridiculous. As a tourist I wouldn't count on being able to park on the street. Wherever you're staying will most likely either have a lot or parking suggestions, and most places you'll visit outside of downtown areas will have parking. In downtown areas there is plenty of public parking available.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
code:
Hazard lights forgive all sins
-Ancient Japanese proverb

LyonsLions posted:

Outside of the big cities Japan is very car friendly. Street parking is allowed in some residential areas but you want to make very sure that it is allowed before you park somewhere because the fines can be ridiculous. As a tourist I wouldn't count on being able to park on the street. Wherever you're staying will most likely either have a lot or parking suggestions, and most places you'll visit outside of downtown areas will have parking. In downtown areas there is plenty of public parking available.

Yeah, in big/medium sized cities you will most likely have to pay (although most places will give you the first 15-20 minutes free), in small towns you can probably find a place for free that's kosher. Tourist attractions and stuff will probably have their own parking.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you are going to small town Japan, RENT A CAR. I'm in shikoku and its really beautiful but getting here from kansai airport requires a bit of careful planning.I flew into terminal 2 early evening and that messed up my express train schedule.

It's really rural tranquil here and Nihama is a wonderful small town. Small enough to feel out in the wilderness but accessible enough for food and night stuff. Seafood market lunch was amazing for its price!

Still, got to get a car, I think I would be miserable just taking a train here and being constrained by some early evening train. Eating joyfull is not so great if you can't get around.

I was in briefly in saga the last time I was in Japan. All we ever did was eat at some fast food restaurant and chatted for half an hour before I had to go. Seeing endless green paddies was nice but getting there sucked. Pompous rhombus was cool but not that cool. He ran out of atm money too so I had to but him French fries.

Too long not enough pictures. Everyone go visit peanut. Ride the anpan man train! Oh and peanut will sperg on about some floats and festival. Still an amazingly nice goooooon

caberham fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 4, 2014

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
Hi Japan goons!

The boyfriend and I are going to Japan next month and would like some general feedback on my (super rough draft) itinerary. We are on a tight budget and will most likely be backpacking (mostly for convenience).

We fly into NRT March 12 at 4:00pm.
Stay in Tokyo for 4 days
Daytrip (or overnight?) to Fuji-Q Highlands
March 17: Kyoto for 4 more days
Overnight in Nara
Overnight at Koyasan
Overnight at Kinosaki Onsen
Back to NRT to catch flight home at 6:15pm March 26.

The overnights and daytrips are likely going to be moved around so they're not all at once. There's an extra day or two to play with in there somewhere. I'm thinking we can just make our way back to Tokyo without having to spend an entire day on the train - maybe revisit a favorite place or get off the train somewhere random and explore...

Any suggestions of things to switch out, add, or take away? Our personal tastes are pretty wide and varied - we want to see the historical stuff, but as we learned in Beijing, after enough temples they start to run together. I'm a big tea enthsuiast, we are both into anime and games, and are both outdoorsy (but also on a tight budget).

I'm also having trouble wrapping my head around the JR Pass, even with all the online resources I've found (Hyperdia, blogs, etc.). Does this plan look like it justifies a 14 day pass?

And do you think Kinosaki is a good choice of onsen based on the rest or our itinerary or is there a better option?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The JR pass is a crazy good deal but if you cluster your Kansai stuff well you'll only need a 1 week pass. Tokyo-Fuji Q roundtrip is probably cheaper than an additional week on the JR pass.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010
Hey everyone, my girlfriend and I (both Canadians) will be visiting a friend of ours in Japan for about 10 days at the beginning of March. We plan to come back to Japan again later in the year, maybe in late summer. I just wanted to double-check that I'm correct thinking we'll receive our 2nd landing permissions without any problems (despite having been to the country earlier in the year).

We're flying into Osaka and planning to spend a couple days there, then going to the Okayama area to visit our friend for a few days. We'll have to go back to Osaka to fly out again, so I imagine we'll spend another couple days there before leaving.

edit- Still reading thread, will ask for more advice later.

Chernori fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Totally fine and okay, don't sweat it.
(89 days + 36 hours in Seoul + another 90 day tourist visa) is the pattern that might get you questioned.

• Locked thread