Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Have you watched this video yet?
(It may or not be a cameo but it's the first time I've seen that type in any crowd)

That's it, yeah. Man with a Mission often wear those wolf masks.

I thought it was a neat touch that they're literally living in the database. WOW WOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I like how despite this show being a love-letter to hardcore MMO gaming, Shiroe's plan to recruit the Adventurers is "Put the cute princess in a chainmail bikini and give her a cool-looking sword, then we'll have all those nerds tripping over themselves to sign up!" That's the kind of self-aware cynicism that I liked about Maoyuu.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

I like how despite this show being a love-letter to hardcore MMO gaming, Shiroe's plan to recruit the Adventurers is "Put the cute princess in a chainmail bikini and give her a cool-looking sword, then we'll have all those nerds tripping over themselves to sign up!" That's the kind of self-aware cynicism that I liked about Maoyuu.

Speaking of which, I watched that recently and I was really pissed at how bad everything but the story was. Log Horizon more than makes up for a lack of a second season of Maoyuu though.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

One of the recurring background characters are the people that tried to PK the gang early on and are now doing other stuff which I found neat

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I love this show -- in fact it's the only anime whose OP I watch every single time, just because it's so neat. The music is rockin', and it's got flashy cuts of the characters posing in a cool way-- basically everything I want out of an anime OP!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Redcrimson posted:

I was trying to figure out why Shiroe decided to put the princess in armor and give her a sword. "For impact" he said but I didn't realize what he meant by that.

Now I do and it is AWESOME.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Redcrimson posted:

"Come play, my lord"

I'd have a hard time putting into words what I like about this series, but it's just so compelling. It's giving me things that I didn't even know I was looking for in a show. It'll be great if we can get some kind of closure at the end of this season, but this is something I would absolutely love to see renewed in a future season.

This past year has been like Bizarro world for anime. If you had told me a year ago that I'd be left cold by Shinichiro Watanabe's new series but totally absorbed in yet another anime about people stuck in an MMO world, I'd never have believed you.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Also I noticed that the Sahaugin in the back of the eyecatch is the one wearing goggles.

Redcrimson posted:

I love Krusty's and Raynesia's faces when they see the plan working. Especially Raynesia's "Eh?" face.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

veekie posted:

I love Krusty's and Raynesia's faces when they see the plan working. Especially Raynesia's "Eh?" face.

Is it "Raynesia" or "Lenessia", I can never tell these things

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

khy posted:

Lenessia Erhart Cowen in English.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

khy posted:

Easier for me to keep straight since I'm following the LN, but Lenessia is the official English for it.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Nipponophile posted:

I'd have a hard time putting into words what I like about this series, but it's just so compelling. It's giving me things that I didn't even know I was looking for in a show. It'll be great if we can get some kind of closure at the end of this season, but this is something I would absolutely love to see renewed in a future season.
I was talking to someone about this earlier. When you stop to think about it, not much happens in each episode yet each one seems to be over in a blink of an eye. Any other show would feel like each episode was dragged out forever.

And yeah, if NHK can give Phi Brain three (so far!) 25 episode seasons, they should be able to give Log Horizon more. Earlier in the thread, someone linked one of the author's 4chan Q&As. He talked about how the NHK people and staff were pleasantly surprised with the reaction the anime was getting.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I guess I'm alone in not really liking this arc very much. To me, the show should be all about the PvP. Human beings with superhuman powers matching their wits against one another. The problem with this PotL arc is that it all really boils down to them trying to beg the adventurers to save them without asking too much. That can be done any time. It's not going to be hard to convince a bunch of MMO players to go off on a quest and smash faces, that's what they live for. I'd have liked this arc if the PotL had some leverage over the adventurers, like say the Izumo Knights, or using some shiney quest rewards to divide and conquer. As is, there is zero tension, does anyone think for a second that the adventurer army isn't going to slaughter the goblin army without breaking a sweat?

PvE is boring. PvP, whether adventurers vs adventurers, or adventurers vs some politically savvy PotLs, or PotLs vs PotLs with adventurers forced to pick sides, would be infinitely more interesting than this.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

As is, there is zero tension, does anyone think for a second that the adventurer army isn't going to slaughter the goblin army without breaking a sweat?

On the face of it, no, but we can't rule out that there could be plot twists we haven't foreseen.

What I'm more concerned about is the under level 40 adventurers in Akihabara and defending other areas. The opening sequence does indicate that Rudy in particular is going to be in serious peril, so something is going to have to go wrong in the adventurers' plans. There's also the possibility foreseen by Shiroe that the goblins might attack Akihabara. If he hasn't taken enough precautions and the weaker adventurers left behind get attacked by goblins and killed multiple times, the memory wiping thing could be brought to the fore.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The tension is largely the consequences to the Landers on the ground really. The nobles, generally speaking are going to come out of this fine, but every little village and town along the way is going to be wiped out if any of the defense slips.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
But we don't know any of these guys. They're not even given character development. Except Rudy, except that his death flag has been raised so high that I want him to die and just get it over and done with.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I wouldn't be so sure about the goblin army getting wiped effortlessly, not with the new update that started this all raising the level cap by a good what 10 levels? I fully expect the goblin king to be at that new cap at least and probably some of his more elite cronies too since they let them get up to full strength, and while yeah the combat guilds have been training I don't think anyone has even come close to the new max yet, at best I'm expecting 92 or 93.

So while of course there's no threat to any of the adventurers lives I fully expect a good wipe or two outta this war before they get it down to a science like every other raid around. :black101:

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Phobophilia posted:

Except Rudy, except that his death flag has been raised so high that I want him to die and just get it over and done with.

It would have the potential to surprise us if it wasn't in the bloody OP.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Also, while all of this is going down in Eastal, there's probably similiar events occurring due to the lack of effort on the adventurers part to prevent things like the Goblin King to come into being. And given the anarchic state of most of the rest of the game from what little we know happening elsewhere, it could lead to some pretty major changes in the state of the world beyond Eastal's borders, which is going to affect Eastal in the long term. I mean yeah adventurers are pretty strong and all, but without the kind of coordination and tactical support the Round Table group brings to Eastal, I can't imagine too many guilds being capable enough on their own to handle a similiar event elsewhere. It also seems like the majority of elite players and max level players are based in Akihabara, which is even worse for other regions. What happens if a Goblin King or something similiar takes over an entire region? Debuffs? Loss of guild/merchant house? Cathedral destruction? There's probably some pretty dire consequences as a result beyond just the People of the Land getting completely screwed over.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I just like how the guy's name is Crusty. Like, other people have normal sounding names or whatever but this almighty guild leader with all this battle knowledge and experience? Yeah, the name's Crusty.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

nftyw posted:

I just like how the guy's name is Crusty. Like, other people have normal sounding names or whatever but this almighty guild leader with all this battle knowledge and experience? Yeah, the name's Crusty.

Note that Akatsuki isn't a normal name either. It'd one of the extremely ninja-ey names.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

nftyw posted:

I'm not sure if I read it here or somewhere else but I was also struck by the incongruity of his name and found out that the author of the light novel admitted that he got the inspiration for the name from a Simpsons mug/item around his work area.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

And I couldn't help notice a few references to American conservative political groups and people like the Tea Party, Reagan, and Crusty. Or it could jut be a coincidence or I'm imagining things. If there were more references, I'd think he was doing it on purpose.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The Tea Party did not invent tea, parties, or tea parties.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Or, for that matter, the eponymous Tea Party.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
After seeing that kick rear end steam ship it makes me wish some adventurer would invent a steam powered Babbage Analytical Engine. I wonder what other inventions they will come up with in the long run.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Obviously their number one priority is to invent computers so they can invent MMOs again and leave all this adventurer bullshit behind.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Elite posted:

Obviously their number one priority is to invent computers so they can invent MMOs again and leave all this adventurer bullshit behind.

Back in my day, we didn't sit inside and play games all day! We went outside and killed goblins! drat, kids these days. :corsair:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silento posted:

Back in my day, we didn't sit inside and play games all day! We went outside and killed goblins! drat, kids these days. :corsair:

It isn't clear if adventurers can reproduce, so a new generation is unlikely. Also, the author isn't a creep so it may not ever come up.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Serious Frolicking posted:

It isn't clear if adventurers can reproduce, so a new generation is unlikely. Also, the author isn't a creep so it may not ever come up.

I would assume they can, though if their children would share their abilities or be the same as the natives I'm not sure. We also don't know if the adventurers will age naturally or if they're immortal in that sense too.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Mentioning sex in a novel is kind of a really low bar for "creepiness". Not that I suggest we ourselves dive into such a debate, but it's not like thinking about its implications makes you unclean or creepy.

I get the impression that the game world is more of an alternate world than a simulation, so I would expect a lot of conclusions to follow from that. There hasn't been much conclusive evidence, though, and as an alternate reality scenario would bring up a ton more questions regarding the game world mechanics.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Mentioning sex in a novel is kind of a really low bar for "creepiness". Not that I suggest we ourselves dive into such a debate, but it's not like thinking about its implications makes you unclean or creepy.

I get the impression that the game world is more of an alternate world than a simulation, so I would expect a lot of conclusions to follow from that. There hasn't been much conclusive evidence, though, and as an alternate reality scenario would bring up a ton more questions regarding the game world mechanics.

There seems to be sex, yeah. What isn't clear is if pregnancy is possible. However, sex in general isn't really something the story focuses on. Which is kind of a nice contrast from the usual LN bullshit.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's probably something that would have to come up at some point, if the point of the story is less "OMG WE LIVE IN A COMPUTER GAME NOW!!" and more like "the development of a post-apocalyptic society". Every society would have to eventually consider how they'll take care of the children, who will help them when they are elderly, how they will manage population growth and education, and various other important economic, social, and political factors.

I think it'd actually be interesting to see as time goes on. Perhaps at some point it would start to dawn on people-- "Oh man, what if we never get back to normal? What if this is how life is from now on? We're going to grow old and die in this world." And it might be cool to see how they deal with that.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Author has mentioned in one of his 4chan interviews that Adventurers can reproduce, but it's not been long enough for them to find out anything about it, including whether or not Adventurer powers are heritable, and what happens when you confuse the matter further with People of the Land.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

There seems to be sex, yeah. What isn't clear is if pregnancy is possible. However, sex in general isn't really something the story focuses on. Which is kind of a nice contrast from the usual LN bullshit.
Huh? Sex is exceedingly rare in light novels. "Titillating scenes", sure, but actual intercourse seems taboo or something.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
The show is already not-so-subtly pushing several romantic conflicts, I'd honestly be surprised if marriage/children never actually comes up. I don't think sex will come up specifically, because of the timeslot, but they might skirt around it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One way of handling it would be to invent some new characters that just happen to be a couple with the woman pregnant or already having born. Shows that yes it's possible without having to really introduce any details.
Surely there'd also be some already married in the real/original world-couples playing the game, and continuing their relationship after the apocalypse event.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

One way of handling it would be to invent some new characters that just happen to be a couple with the woman pregnant or already having born. Shows that yes it's possible without having to really introduce any details.
Surely there'd also be some already married in the real/original world-couples playing the game, and continuing their relationship after the apocalypse event.

I don't think that would carry over into the game world, since they got put into whatever form their avatars are and not as they are IRL.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

darkgray posted:

Huh? Sex is exceedingly rare in light novels. "Titillating scenes", sure, but actual intercourse seems taboo or something.

Well, the other trapped-in-an-MMO LN series did have a sex scene, but if you've edited that out of your memory, I can't blame you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, the other trapped-in-an-MMO LN series did have a sex scene, but if you've edited that out of your memory, I can't blame you.
I haven't read the other one, so I have no recollection there. In the other 120ish I've read, it doesn't come up often, though.

• Locked thread