Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Since my last question in here brought some great recommendations, I've got another one. I recently watched Hunger, which is one of those films where a small group of strangers are in a room together and they don't know how they got there or what's going on. I quite liked it. The Cube, Exam, and the original Saw are some other examples I enjoyed. Anything else similar on Netflix/DVD?

Sex House

Give it a few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

There was one I saw that I kinda liked. I don't remember the name but hopefully my description will remind someone of it. Exact same setup as the rest, lots of people trapped in a house with no way out, there was one victor (the winner had to find a box or something iirc), with a shaggy dog ending of the door opening into another house, with victors from other similar competitions clinging to their boxes they had "won", with the implication being that those winners would have to compete again against all the other winners in this new section of this apparently insanely huge house

Alexandra's Project is a kind of twist on the theme that I thought was quite good. It pops up on streaming from time to time but isn't available at the moment.

This is House of 9 that you are describing.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Since my last question in here brought some great recommendations, I've got another one. I recently watched Hunger, which is one of those films where a small group of strangers are in a room together and they don't know how they got there or what's going on. I quite liked it. The Cube, Exam, and the original Saw are some other examples I enjoyed. Anything else similar on Netflix/DVD?

Though I didn't think it was an amazing movie or anything you might like Devil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keyser S0ze posted:

yeah, there is a lot of him squinting and dodging around going "YOU'RE LYING MATE" but overall was a good enough show to not get whacked.

Started watching LIFE with Damian Lewis.....like most here have said it's very good and he's both quirky and badass in a good way. It's definitely ahead of its time for 2007 with some of his mentalist/elementary/sherlock stuff along with his full Carrie Mathison evidence walls.

I do find the awful buttrock music montages really annoying though, maybe that was mentioned as well and it's a post production thing?

They couldn't get all the music rights for the video release so they replaced it with terrible music.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sex House

Give it a few episodes.

I know this sounds like a joke but it really is like a spiritual successor to Cube. Things escalate very fast.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mouser.. posted:

This is House of 9 that you are describing.

So it is. Odd thing though -- I was sure I watched it streaming on Netflix but the ending I described is, per wikipedia, the second of two dvd-only alternate endings. :iiam:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sex House

Give it a few episodes.

Vouch. It is one of the best viewing experiences of last year (or was it 2012?)
If you think it's stupid and obvious after the first episode, just stick with it a bit.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the one that's what America wants to see?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
:stare: I had always ignored that because I thought it looked too goofy but god drat, :lol:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

priznat posted:

:stare: I had always ignored that because I thought it looked too goofy but god drat, :lol:

It's really pretty amazing, especially towards the end. The last two episodes...

Episode 9 could easily have been the finale, with every member of the group having been broken to the point where they just want to stay in this absolute hell of an existence.

10 returns to the lightly satirical tone of episode 1, which in a way makes it almost worse; they have been literally tortured for around a year and are all laughing it off. I mean hey, they're all 'famous' reality stars now so it was worth it, right?

Not sure which ending I prefer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I could have done without ep 10, personally. The ending of 9 was fantastic.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Eating lovely fast food and browsing the forums late at night, I threw on Only God Forgives and five minutes in realize I'm probably watching a good movie and not paying close attention. I put on Jack Reacher instead, just got to the part where they're describing his origin story as a hobo super-soldier who solves mysteries :cheers:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Is ATM still streaming? I went in blind after watching Devil (I second that suggestion) and thought it was good. In both movies the endings felt a little flat for me but overall did the claustrophobia/"how much do you know about each other" thing effectively.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Wolfsheim posted:

Eating lovely fast food and browsing the forums late at night, I threw on Only God Forgives and five minutes in realize I'm probably watching a good movie and not paying close attention.

Watched this last night.

I am a huge fan of both Refn and Gosling, but this one didn't really do it for me. I don't even know if I'd say it's a "good movie". It was mostly just really weird. And this is coming from a guy who actually does "get it".

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I have to laugh at Verizon's new flex-view tag, "See it here weeks before Netflix or Redbox!". I guess if you don't use those two services you get to feel like Verizon is superior, but god drat who else wouldn't just read this as a big warning to wait two weeks and watch it for free.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Royal Scrub posted:

I have to laugh at Verizon's new flex-view tag, "See it here weeks before Netflix or Redbox!". I guess if you don't use those two services you get to feel like Verizon is superior, but god drat who else wouldn't just read this as a big warning to wait two weeks and watch it for free.

Usually they're describing the DVD service. They're basically saying "we have it to rent before any of the other rental places."

Not that it's gonna be streaming on netflix in 3 weeks.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

regulargonzalez posted:

It's really pretty amazing, especially towards the end. The last two episodes...

Episode 9 could easily have been the finale, with every member of the group having been broken to the point where they just want to stay in this absolute hell of an existence.

10 returns to the lightly satirical tone of episode 1, which in a way makes it almost worse; they have been literally tortured for around a year and are all laughing it off. I mean hey, they're all 'famous' reality stars now so it was worth it, right?

Not sure which ending I prefer.

Episode 10 is a hard one to place, but when you rewatch it there's a lot of that horror that made the rest of the series so good. It's just this awful cycle of MTV Reality TV culture perpetuating itself. It's an apparent step back from the Sartre-esque ending of episode 9 to place us back in our own world, which only serves to underline the satire.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there any good dinosaur documentaries on Netflix that aren't really sensationalist? Or overly narrative?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Erebus posted:

I haven't watched it yet to know if it's any good, but Nine Dead is another one of those stories.

Watched this one last night after seeing your post. It's OK. As with almost every similar film it has issues (whoever wrote it or made casting decisions has never seen any portrayal of a mafioso character, ever, and the portrayal of a paedophile is almost anger-inducing). Kept me watching while I played snooker on my tablet though.

Joshlemagne posted:

Though I didn't think it was an amazing movie or anything you might like Devil.

I'll watch this tonight, thanks. Assuming it's available to stream.

Manky posted:

Is ATM still streaming? I went in blind after watching Devil (I second that suggestion) and thought it was good. In both movies the endings felt a little flat for me but overall did the claustrophobia/"how much do you know about each other" thing effectively.

ATM is on streaming, I've never even looked at it because the name is stupid. I'll watch it after Devil, nice.

As an aside, and sorry for not remembering the name of the poster, but whoever said that rape scene in that other film (I forgot that name too) was uncomfortable wasn't kidding. Woah.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The Croods just got added to US Netflix, it's a dream works film that's actually pretty drat good and nice to look at.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Any good football movies on streaming?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Toebone posted:

Brian's Song and The Longest Yard (the one with Burt Reynolds) are both up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VaultAggie posted:

The Croods just got added to US Netflix, it's a dream works film that's actually pretty drat good and nice to look at.

I vouch for The Croods as one of my top three animated films of 2013.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Toebone posted:

All 5 seasons of Friday Night Lights is on Netflix, and is better than any football movie.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

User-Friendly posted:

All 5 seasons of Friday Night Lights is on Netflix, and is better than any football movie.

What about in comparison to Friday Night Lights?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

User-Friendly posted:

Sorry but Bend It Like Beckham is the best football movie and it isn't even close.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does anyone else suffer from too many choices anxiety when browsing Netflix?

Lately I have been watching mostly stand up mainly because they are shorter than movies and I don't feel I'll screw up yacht much if I choose badly.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
That happens to me constantly, I see a million things I want to watch but always end up throwing on a sitcom I've already watched three times through because its an easier choice. I already know I'm going to enjoy that so why risk it. Stupid brain.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I have the opposite problem where everything just looks like it will suck (it's called 'Being A Cynical rear end in a top hat'), so I just watch reruns of MST3K or a nature/history documentary.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Sorry but Bend It Like Beckham is the best football movie and it isn't even close.

Shaolin Soccer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

gmq posted:

Does anyone else suffer from too many choices anxiety when browsing Netflix?

Lately I have been watching mostly stand up mainly because they are shorter than movies and I don't feel I'll screw up yacht much if I choose badly.

Lately my exposure to new stuff has been "gently caress you, Netflix, I'll watch it, just get it off of my top picks". Found Doc Martin, Orange is the New Black, and Luther that way.

But I'm not doing that with My Little Pony. Why did you put that in there, Netflix? What did I ever do to you?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I Before E posted:

Shaolin Soccer.

Trap sprung, European. :patriot:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Trap sprung, European. :patriot:

Joke's on you I'm from Indiana.

Considering the weather recently, I guess that means the joke's on me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I Before E posted:

Joke's on you I'm from Indiana.

Considering the weather recently, I guess that means the joke's on me.

We stand united fellow Indiana resident. Netflix all day tomorrow for me.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rhyno posted:

We stand united fellow Indiana resident. Netflix all day tomorrow for me.

thankfully I have a Marvel Super Heroes session tomorrow so I don't go stir crazy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I Before E posted:

thankfully I have a Marvel Super Heroes session tomorrow so I don't go stir crazy.

I'm gonna knock out some Supernatural myself.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
The Super Bowl is on you loving goons. If you're all from Indiana cheer for Peyton. Go Hawks :hawksin:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Holy cow, if you like football, or documentaries, or football documentaries, or sports in general, watch Undefeated.

It follows a really terrible Memphis inner-city football team. I mean, the non-football parts are probably the best so you should probably watch it no matter what. There were some scenes that required a few tissues.

It won the Academy Award for best documentary a few years back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chichevache posted:

The Super Bowl is on you loving goons. If you're all from Indiana cheer for Peyton. Go Hawks :hawksin:

Indiana resident, Chicago native. That Undefeated doc sounds legit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chichevache posted:

They're running a Super Test for the Bowls Leagues again? Capital! Although I shan't being roistering for Peyton Place out on the Greens, my dear fellow. My squadron are those gay lads from Oxford.

• Locked thread