Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clayren posted:

Between this and fruit prom the message I am getting is that girls like fruit. Which makes a lot of sense because women love smoothies and fruit baskets and I've had to spray my apple trees 3 times this Summer to keep them away.

What sort of pesticide do you use to keep the women away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours

Pharohman777 posted:

What sort of pesticide do you use to keep the women away?
Axe.

Awesome thread! I remember I liked to make pixel dolls online as a kid. Compared to those dollmakers, these flash-based steadily games suck. There's very little choice for hair and dress styles in a most of these.

Raising sims and avatar sites like GoSupermodel and Stardoll seem to be pretty popular with grade school kids. Those sites come with all the healthy imagery of dress up games and an added dash of peer pressure/popularity contest because the most coveted stiff usually costs a bunch.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

Heat and tropics and summer and ovens and basting and

Arrgh stop it it's too drat hot! :argh:

More seriously though, that was brilliant.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Did I just watch a game where the girl gives a handjob to some guy on a motorcycle and stops when people notice?

Are you sure these are for kids?

This is a great stream.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

I need to look into this blueberry soak thing.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

So during the stream D-Vac played a game and I mentioned that I had recorded a video for the thread. Here is the video. I'm sorry for everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB8mO81mOBU

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

A peek at what happened in the stream:

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Devil Ed posted:

So during the stream D-Vac played a game and I mentioned that I had recorded a video for the thread. Here is the video. I'm sorry for everything.

AWESOME!! Gonna put this in the OP right now. That game, man. THAT GAME.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
You know, it's probably a good thing Devious Vacuum didn't play Mario: LIP on the stream, because I forgot how loving tedious the game is to play, goddamn. You only have one life and the bar fills up excruciatingly slow, to boot.
You dodged an extremely poorly drawn bullet this time, D-Vac. :argh:

She did miss Mario and Peach being interviewed by Oprah, though.

Here's Oprah's animation in the stage. (In convenient avatar size, if anyone for some reason wants an avatar of an off-putting Oprah)

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 1, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devil Ed posted:

For those who weren't there for the stream, there's a sequel.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

For those who weren't there for the stream, there's a sequel.

Better yet, the sequel gets bystanders caught up in this mess. (EDIT: I had explanations here, but since the stream video came up right after my post, go see that instead. Words alone can't capture this game.)

Also, at least one of the sites that features the sequel put it in the Romance section.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 1, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I just uploaded the stream!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Devil Ed posted:

My favourite bit is him dropping the shirt, because he clearly just picks it up so he can drop it on the floor for no reason other than to make his girlfriends angry. I think he likes getting tazed.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So I'm watching the stream and I just want you to know DVac that I spent the entire time you were playing Dragulator singing aloud to various songs from Rocky Horror.

You and I totally have to go see that together live someday.

EDIT: Boyfriend Trainer :catstare:

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 1, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zoe posted:

Okay, I know this is not going to be a popular opinion but I'm going to just come right out and say it: Utterly toxic community aside, the My Little Pony cartoon has good lessons for girls sometimes. I said before I watch it on weekends with my nieces...one of the characters owns their own business and one of the morals was that real friends should understand your entire life can't loving revolve around them 24/7 and sometimes you have to put your responsibilities first...I was absolutely blown away since I'd expected the exact opposite from a children's cartoon about the magic of friendship or whatever. There's also been a couple of plots about a character overcoming crippling shyness and learning not to be a doormat all the time, which I wish I'd had the opportunity to watch when I was 11 or 12 or so.

All of the characters are actually pretty great at avoiding the typical stereotypes...yes it's a 'girly' cartoon, but they're portrayed more like young adults with jobs and responsibilities. And I always thought it was interesting that my youngest niece (just turned 6) spent such a long time insisting Rainbow Dash must be a boy because she was aggressive and athletic and colored blue.

It's a pretty good cartoon generally, honestly. The characters all act like normal human beings rather than gendered caricatures. Honestly if I were to say anything about the cartoon its that it's 'for girls' in name only, the characters don't do much apart from the occasional bit of hair brushing that most adults of either gender don't do (and I'm not sure about the hair brushing, given the mens' side of the sink in my house has more beauty products on it than the ladies').

I wish more television like that, it's kind of the reason I like sci fi, it's usually too bothered with saving the world and weird aliens to bother about making things overly girly or manly. Though of course as it's also nerd TV it tends to be heavy on the fanservice and counselor troi having psychic orgasms all the time.

Hmm, ok maybe that's why I like Stargate specifically, Sam Carter is awesome. More TV like Stargate, less like TNG.

Captain Fargle posted:

So I'm watching the stream and I just want you to know DVac that I spent the entire time you were playing Dragulator singing aloud to various songs from Rocky Horror.

You and I totally have to go see that together live someday.

I went to a live performance and it was pretty good, it's a good fun show to go see if you like watching everyone parade around in fetish gear (everybody does)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 1, 2014

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Captain Fargle posted:

:catstare: is right. I almost want to see this game remade with the genders reversed just to see the horrific backlash. Who made this Stepford Boyfriends simulator and who thought it was a good idea?

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 1, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I swear one of the sound clips from the drag queen dress-up game was taken from Paris is Burning.

psutify
Oct 19, 2012

This was her favorite "Romantic Comedy" she was referring to in the game, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi1f2ADQYzA

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

psutify posted:

This was her favorite "Romantic Comedy" she was referring to in the game, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi1f2ADQYzA

no, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FY2efhRS4U

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

More TV like Stargate, less like TNG.

What are you talking about? In the 24th century, mankind has evolved and become enlightened enough to move past such primitive ideas as sexism.

It's not like they just put Troi on the bridge to give useless advice and get mindraped constantly, she's as necessary a part of the crew as any of the male characters and does lots of important stuff, like...

...well okay I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zoe posted:

What are you talking about? In the 24th century, mankind has evolved and become enlightened enough to move past such primitive ideas as sexism.

It's not like they just put Troi on the bridge to give useless advice and get mindraped constantly, she's as necessary a part of the crew as any of the male characters and does lots of important stuff, like...

She flew the ship that one time! :haw:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You mean that one time that it crash landed on a planet?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Troi was hillarious in the early series, but actually had some decent stuff later on. More competent writers I guess.

Of course there as Dr Beverly Crusher, who was a pretty decent character throughout. She was competent and professional and often did important stuff, and had a successful career while also being a single mother.

There was some sexual tension stuff between her and Picard, but they were both too drat professional to act about it.

What was kinda fun was that in the final episode (where Picard is jumping backwards and forwards in time), she's the captain of a science vessel... and she is Picard's ex-wife. At some point in the future they get married... and it doesn't actually work out, they get divorced, but stay good friends.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 2, 2014

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Suspicious Cook posted:

:catstare: is right. I almost want to see this game remade with the genders reversed just to see the horrific backlash. Who made this Stepford Boyfriends simulator and who thought it was a good idea?

I kind of want to see this now, if only for the endless outrage it will generate.

Fantastic thread, by the way. Everybody knows that women and girls get the short end of the stick in gaming, but until you really dig into this poo poo you don't realize how deep the rabbit hole is. I have 2 nieces now, and I kind of want them to enjoy video games the way I do, but gently caress if it isn't hard to find good role models in games for young girls. Some of these treat girls like absolute idiots, something I've never seen in games targeted at boys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

your evil twin posted:

Troi was hillarious in the early series, but actually had some decent stuff later on. More competent writers I guess.

Of course there as Dr Beverly Crusher, who was a pretty decent character throughout. She was competent and professional and often did important stuff, and had a successful career while also being a single mother.

There was some sexual tension stuff between her and Picard, but they were both too drat professional to act about it.

What was kinda fun was that in the final episode (where Picard is jumping backwards and forwards in time), she's the captain of a science vessel... and she is Picard's ex-wife. At some point in the future they get married... and it doesn't actually work out, they get divorced, but stay good friends.

Troi did indeed get better later on, she's actually quite good in the movies and also in her few appearances in voyager. Actually TNG characters universally improve with time or as they move onto other series.

So my complaint should probably be less like early TNG. Still, sci fi is probably the only genre I can think of that doesn't always pander to gender stereotypes, even if it's a bit inconsistent and flips between horrifyingly bad at it and actually quite good. I've never been sure if it's because the series' don't much care, or if it's a conscious attempt to portray a positive message.

Stargate I mention because it really seemed like they didn't much care, which is my preferred impression to get from a work, that it's more about what you do than what you are.

YodaTFK posted:

I kind of want to see this now, if only for the endless outrage it will generate.

Fantastic thread, by the way. Everybody knows that women and girls get the short end of the stick in gaming, but until you really dig into this poo poo you don't realize how deep the rabbit hole is. I have 2 nieces now, and I kind of want them to enjoy video games the way I do, but gently caress if it isn't hard to find good role models in games for young girls. Some of these treat girls like absolute idiots, something I've never seen in games targeted at boys.

If you want you can read the very handholdy and linear design of a lot of console shooters as an indictment against unthinking masculine violence. I certainly feel mildly insulted when I play games that give me onscreen instructions for every minute thing. I do wonder sometimes if the Marcus Fenix brand of protagonist isn't something of a deconstruction of the macho hero.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 2, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zoe posted:

To be fair, she was more useful than Worf.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

The only episode I've seen of TNG that I can remember is the one where Troi gets pregnant with a space baby that is actually some kind of alien life wanting to experience being a human or something? So what I'm saying is I don't believe any of you.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
for nerd points: I believe that was actually a leftover script from the proposed Trek series before TNG that didn't take off. So it's even earlier than early TNG, in principle anyway.

However as a little girl I liked Troi for the shallowest of reasons: she had pretty hair.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

See, the problem I have with claiming that sci-fi is some shining beacon of progressive writing is that the only reason a lot of them don't fall into prerecognized gender and race stereotypes is because they have extraterrestrials. In other words, they have an outlet for all the othering and negativity endemic in a dramatically-driven work that isn't human beings. The single exception I can think of where aliens aren't treated as stereotype fodder is Star Wars, which has its own loving huge problems with sexism in the writing, though it's a lot less severe in the original trilogy and the officially-licensed books. Still, you'd think they'd make more of an effort to have more than a single female character per plotline.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

See, the problem I have with claiming that sci-fi is some shining beacon of progressive writing is that the only reason a lot of them don't fall into prerecognized gender and race stereotypes is because they have extraterrestrials. In other words, they have an outlet for all the othering and negativity endemic in a dramatically-driven work that isn't human beings. The single exception I can think of where aliens aren't treated as stereotype fodder is Star Wars, which has its own loving huge problems with sexism in the writing, though it's a lot less severe in the original trilogy and the officially-licensed books. Still, you'd think they'd make more of an effort to have more than a single female character per plotline.

I have less of an issue with projecting otherness onto made up space people with funny heads than actual earth people who I live with.

But yeah it's not so much that it's noble and forward thinking, it's that it's somewhat realistically drawing on unifying everyone against something else.

The overall effect is still nicer than the alternative, I think anyway.

gegi posted:

for nerd points: I believe that was actually a leftover script from the proposed Trek series before TNG that didn't take off. So it's even earlier than early TNG, in principle anyway.

However as a little girl I liked Troi for the shallowest of reasons: she had pretty hair.

She has magnificent hair. She has more hair than an entire glam rock band. You can gauge the entire timeline of the series by how 80's Troi's hair is.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 2, 2014

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The only Star Trek I've seen is the 'Picard vs the Borg' movie and the two newer movies, so I can't really comment on overall themes, but I do remember it coming up in the 'Mystical Pregnancy' episode of Tropes vs Women.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Devious Vacuum posted:

The only episode I've seen of TNG that I can remember is the one where Troi gets pregnant with a space baby that is actually some kind of alien life wanting to experience being a human or something? So what I'm saying is I don't believe any of you.
She did that TWICE in the space of 3 episodes.
It was a little ridiculous.

Tasha Yar did break the mold a bit more.

She was also actually useful, unlike Worf. Until she had an encounter with a black goopalien.

RIP Tasha.

Though she time travelled or got cloned or something and her daughter eventually becomes Empress of the Romulan Star Empire. I forget if that's before or after the destruction of Romulus though.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Veloxyll posted:

She did that TWICE in the space of 3 episodes.
It was a little ridiculous.

Tasha Yar did break the mold a bit more.

She was also actually useful, unlike Worf. Until she had an encounter with a black goopalien.

RIP Tasha.

Though she time travelled or got cloned or something and her daughter eventually becomes Empress of the Romulan Star Empire. I forget if that's before or after the destruction of Romulus though.

Honestly, the one thing I remember about Tasha is that she had sex with Data. That doesn't speak well for her character.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

:ssh: Bertolli actually came out in support of lgbt people. Barilla is the one you're thinking of.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

meteloides posted:

:ssh: Bertolli actually came out in support of lgbt people. Barilla is the one you're thinking of.

THANK GOODNESS.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
If it's cool I'd like to say a little bit about an analogue game rather than digital.

I work for a mobile laser tag company. We drive out to our client's location and set up everything for the kids to play with on-site. Now, as you can imagine, our clientele is almost exclusively boys, mostly ages 8-12. Today's party was different. Of the 13 kids I had, 11 of them were girls, all age 9; members of the same gymnastics team. I don't think I'd've called any of them tomboys, either, especially not the birthday girl. The decorations were pink, her camouflage-patterned shirt was covered in sequins, and the present she was most excited about was a pair of tickets to a One Direction concert. But she and all her friends were super stoked to load up MP5 model airsoft guns that were modified into laserguns and shoot each other for two hours. It was pretty rad.

The parents didn't have anything to say about it either. No one made any comments about how this was a "boy's game" or something.

Non-EuclideanCat fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 2, 2014

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I just remembered something. There was a game my 7th grade history teacher let us play that was basically a dress up game, but actually not terrible. We were learning about Rome so we had to dress up a little virtual gladiator. Depending on what he wore and what weapons he had, he could defeat different opponents and after defeating three opponents you won. I just think it's interesting that a game with the same mechanics of a "dress up for your date" game was actually empowering and even a bit educational.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm a straight dude and completely happy with that. Sorry, if this comes off as really negative by the way. And I've got a really lovely problem where if I hear people talking about how different/harder things are on you if you're a girl then I immediately react with: "Bullshit, I've never seen that." Like my tiny opinionated worldview on something is the only one that matters. I'm trying to not do that but it tends to continue to pop up. Obviously that doesn't extend to games though because I knew girl games were a thing in the back of my mind but I assumed that any women who wanted to play games did what any sane person did and just buy what they liked and never say anything on a multiplayer game.

I saw some people mentioning MLP [No opinion] and Adventure Time [Started the pilot with Finn & Jake using flamethrowers so it's a pretty great show as far as I can say] as good shows with strong women characters and I'd like to throw the two Avatar the Last Airbender series into that. More the first one since I can't say too much about Korra. In the first series, most of the Earthbenders were all super ripped giant dudes that looked like The Rock and they made a blind twelve year old girl a tomboy and the resident Earthbender of the group. And I think that's pretty cool. I dunno though. I feel like there's a much better and in-depth way of putting all that together that looks more appealing.

The only shows that I can really think of as being ~for girls~ maybe? Are the Powerpuff Girls and Kim Possible. Not that that stopped me from watching them as a kid since I liked violent cartoons. :v:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I'm a straight dude and completely happy with that. Sorry, if this comes off as really negative by the way. And I've got a really lovely problem where if I hear people talking about how different/harder things are on you if you're a girl then I immediately react with: "Bullshit, I've never seen that." Like my tiny opinionated worldview on something is the only one that matters. I'm trying to not do that but it tends to continue to pop up. Obviously that doesn't extend to games though because I knew girl games were a thing in the back of my mind but I assumed that any women who wanted to play games did what any sane person did and just buy what they liked and never say anything on a multiplayer game.

I saw some people mentioning MLP [No opinion] and Adventure Time [Started the pilot with Finn & Jake using flamethrowers so it's a pretty great show as far as I can say] as good shows with strong women characters and I'd like to throw the two Avatar the Last Airbender series into that. More the first one since I can't say too much about Korra. In the first series, most of the Earthbenders were all super ripped giant dudes that looked like The Rock and they made a blind twelve year old girl a tomboy and the resident Earthbender of the group. And I think that's pretty cool. I dunno though. I feel like there's a much better and in-depth way of putting all that together that looks more appealing.

The only shows that I can really think of as being ~for girls~ maybe? Are the Powerpuff Girls and Kim Possible. Not that that stopped me from watching them as a kid since I liked violent cartoons. :v:

This speaks to the insidiousness of it all more than anything. As a straight dude who is happy with himself and (I'm guessing) not having directly thought about issues like this a lot, of course you haven't seen it. Humans have a habit where if we're not on the lookout for something that's unusual to us, it's completely invisible to us. Granted, that link applies to vision, but if objects themselves can just not register in our brains I think that speaks volumes about our inability to see, say, the emergent results of a variety of interactions.

I'm pretty sure that "Obviously" sentence is meant sarcastically, but I did want to touch on the bolded portion. If you did have the thought of "I don't hear many women in multiplayer environments because they're just not talking." that's exactly the kind of thing this thread is about. Guys don't have to worry about how people will react to a guy's voice in a game. Girls do, at least to an extent, and so they might consider not having voice chat on at all. That pretty much all girls are even in a position to make a consideration like that while most guys are not is exactly the kind of weird inequality that might be invisible to a guy, because why would a guy bother with a consideration like that in the first place? Like any social construct though, it's not universal. Kids would probably be an exception to this behavior, but that's drifting into derail territory.

Edit: Just realized I might be straw-manning you if by 'never say anything' you had text chat in mind. Oh well, I think the point still stands in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I just caught up with the stream. I checked and the roommate naughty game is the "best." They all involve variations of doing weird stuff to get people to take off their clothes. The babysitter involves the kid getting the babysitter in her underwear, breaking her up with her boyfriend (by putting sports on the tv) and then kissing her. The dressup games don't seem so bad now.

• Locked thread