Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It has airbags :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh no, my friend. Airbags are for cars. That's a semi truck rear axle and shock absorber.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I drove behind an F250 on the Gold Coast Highway. The drat thing needed one and a quarter lane, it was so drat wide.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Speaking of humongous vehicles, I saw an Aventador for the first time last night, and the loving thing looked a foot wider than the Yukon Denali (luxed up Chevy Suburban for those outside the US) parked behind it. I know that they are considered large for sports cars, but that really put things into perspective. It must be a nightmare parking that tank with the tiny view slit for a rear window.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry, you just get out of the car to reverse park it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

I drove behind an F250 on the Gold Coast Highway. The drat thing needed one and a quarter lane, it was so drat wide.

If that's the case how do your enormous trucks get around? I've seen those Aussie road trains on youtube, they're huge. Is it just a case of them not being allowed on those roads?

Measly Twerp posted:

Don't worry, you just get out of the car to reverse park it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biBE4wbPyuk

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 1, 2014

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

If that's the case how do your enormous trucks get around? I've seen those Aussie road trains on youtube, they're huge. Is it just a case of them not being allowed on those roads?

I think it might have had duel rear wheels making it wider again. But generally semi-trailers do just fine, even if it is a little tight. A road train is probably not allowed on most roads, but I really don't know.

Parking is fun...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu1A66vcdAU

Yep, what I saw was like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L61undhgWDc

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 1, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Often in NZ you'll see signs that say NO HEAVY VEHICLES ALLOWED and an arrow telling them to go the long way. It's mostly because of the noise they make and how they gently caress up the road surface, but sometimes it's simply because they don't fit.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Any F-series would be ridiculous in the more urban areas of New Zealand. My brother has a newish Colorado (i.e. a mere baby) for a company vehicle and even that is borderline un-parkable in a lot of places because of its length.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

Often in NZ you'll see signs that say NO HEAVY VEHICLES ALLOWED and an arrow telling them to go the long way. It's mostly because of the noise they make and how they gently caress up the road surface, but sometimes it's simply because they don't fit.

Signed areas with low max vehicle weight, or simply saying NO THRU TRUCKS or NO TRUCKS PERMITTED (where 'trucks' has an actual legal definition) are certainly a thing Stateside. They're generally an indication of obsolete infrastructure (road surface or bridge can't take the weight) but sometimes indicate tight curves / big changes in slope that catch long trailers. Unless it's very rural, these deficiencies tend to get resolved, since they generally also mean you can't get a fire truck up there.

Truck drivers have (access to) GPS software that can adjust routes based on height, weight etc restrictions, and I'm sure there's a lower tech legacy method.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Panty Saluter posted:

Those spaces appear to be cut specifically for those small electric/hybrid hire cars and aren't at all representative of Euro-land parking spaces though?
Well if Switzerland was any indication, then yes; yes they are.

I was surprised I didn't see more door dings.

(edit: vehicle disqualified for thread, shown to represent parking slot size only).

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:allears:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I thought those were made in the USA?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Parking spaces get smaller every time they re-draw the lines in my parts of Sweden, the stores want more room for shoppers and despite mostly riding in Japanese cars from the 90's I want to say gently caress those people. The widest spots can be seen up in our old parking houses from 60's and 70's that were designed in a way that doesn't quite allow painting lines in new positions, that's where you'd fit a classic land barge no problem. Should see the parking you have to do here during Power Meet when the city grows by 17k+ classic American cars.

Meanwhile in Sochi

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
At the JC I used to attend the parking spots were pretty drat small. I measured once, there was a sum total of 10" between my rear wheels and the lines. I took pictures, I'll look for them.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PainterofCrap posted:

Well if Switzerland was any indication, then yes; yes they are.

I was surprised I didn't see more door dings.

(edit: vehicle disqualified for thread, shown to represent parking slot size only).

That looks like a fair size space, especially since it's accommodating the truck so easily.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

dissss posted:

I thought those were made in the USA?

They were originally made in Japan, but shifted over to the US for the last couple of model years.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

MrLonghair posted:

Meanwhile in Sochi

Is the round thing on top actually the building behind it, or does this bus have a :krad: conning tower?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

Parking spaces get smaller every time they re-draw the lines in my parts of Sweden, the stores want more room for shoppers and despite mostly riding in Japanese cars from the 90's I want to say gently caress those people. The widest spots can be seen up in our old parking houses from 60's and 70's that were designed in a way that doesn't quite allow painting lines in new positions, that's where you'd fit a classic land barge no problem. Should see the parking you have to do here during Power Meet when the city grows by 17k+ classic American cars.

Meanwhile in Sochi

Uh that windshield/wipers own real hard.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Chinatown posted:

Uh that windshield/wipers own real hard.

Only if they actually go in a circle.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

subx posted:

Only if they actually go in a circle.

I can't find a video, but from what I read about it, they do indeed.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

JaysonAych posted:

They were originally made in Japan, but shifted over to the US for the last couple of model years.

Since like '03

edit: Doh

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 2, 2014

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

blugu64 posted:

Since like '03

The truck in the picture is a T100, not a Tundra. They stopped making it in '98.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The only car accident I've ever had in my life was doing this. I was reversing a ute full of crap up to a porch to make it easier to unload and decided it would be a great idea to lean right out so that I could get as close as possible, rather than being smart and getting out and physically checking the distance.

Of course, I leaned too far, stomped the pedal trying to get my balance and put a lovely dent in the back of my car.

Life lesson learned - never take the lazy route, it's a lot more effort. And more expensive :(

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh no, my friend. Airbags are for cars. That's a semi truck rear axle and shock absorber.

Noooo that's an airbag. The shocks are inboard of the frame. Also I'm pretty sure air ride is only an option on the 750, and a pickup box isn't on the 650/750.
e:

JaysonAych posted:

The truck in the picture is a T100, not a Tundra. They stopped making it in '98.
'96-'98 T100 was made in Indiana. But I don't believe the VZ engines were ever made on this continent.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 2, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrLonghair posted:

Meanwhile in Sochi

Luigi Colani! Dude hates straight lines with a passion.

He's a complete fruitloop but then all the best artists and designers usually are.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 2, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Posted to a facebook group I'm part of mainly for people-watching reasons. Guy's comment was "New bumper for the Dakota pretty beefy" and he thinks it looks great.

It's mostly a bunch of toothless rednecks in that group so half the group thinks it's awesome and half thinks it's hack as poo poo and they are all now calling each other gay and threatening to beat each other up / do donuts on each others front lawns.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Post the group for research.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Forgot I had this on my phone. Taken somewhere around Louisiana/Mississippi a few weeks ago.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 2, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I saw a stretch limo 'Mini' aka one of the new bags of shite. It had an amazingly bodged raised roof running from front to back. I'd have taken photos but I was cycling and it was going the wrong way. It was as ugly as your mind is imagining it to be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kastein posted:

Posted to a facebook group I'm part of mainly for people-watching reasons. Guy's comment was "New bumper for the Dakota pretty beefy" and he thinks it looks great.

What's that bumper protecting? His hood is already beat to poo poo.

Maybe he should have demonstrated his engineering prowess before ramming a deer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

Noooo that's an airbag. The shocks are inboard of the frame. Also I'm pretty sure air ride is only an option on the 750, and a pickup box isn't on the 650/750.
There is no God. :psyduck:

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Tommychu posted:

Air suspension is a factory option on the diesel F650: http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/f650-f750/specifications/chassis/

e:

The supertruck gallery.

dubzee fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 2, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

It's mostly a bunch of toothless rednecks in that group so half the group thinks it's awesome and half thinks it's hack as poo poo and they are all now calling each other gay and threatening to beat each other up / do donuts on each others front lawns.

I didn't know NEAI had a facebook group...
:D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
hey man, that's not cool, we have teeth and don't beat each other up. :haw:

Just checked Pirate4x4 and holy gently caress, here's one for this thread.

I... don't even know what to say here. There are a LOT of things wrong with this.

How the owner should fix this truck:
cut it up
scrap it
sell tires
sell axles
cut up license, cancel insurance, give money to a random hobo, kill himself

The sad part is, that's around a thousand bucks in PSC hydraulic steering parts, a 500+ dollar front axle assembly (definitely one out of an 80s-early 90s Ford F350), and probably 2 grand in tires attached to a hillrod piece of poo poo truck by a person with a very questionable understanding of... anything. I wouldn't let him change my battery, nevermind doing suspension fabrication.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 3, 2014

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

kastein posted:

I... don't even know what to say here. There are a LOT of things wrong with this.

And you'd better believe that it's owner is going to defend it to death by swinging around the corpse of the English language.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

I just...what...why? I think I need to go lie down.

edit:

PopeOnARope posted:

...swinging around the corpse of the English language.

Thank you for a new favorite phrase.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 3, 2014

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

That poor little guy in the bottom right corner, he's seen some poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How does the kind of person who would do that live long enough to actually do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm trying to make sense of that and now I've got a headache. What is that vertical bar in the middle behind the rear diff doing? WHY IS ANYTHING LIKE IT IS HERE?? :smith: