Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Decairn posted:

Everything that we barely fight :(

3 from EE and 2 from GA at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
What's a good rogue solo build? My friend is running some abysmal Tactician build that averages around 1k single target dps at lv 54, and he's never gonna level that way.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Elswyyr posted:

What's a good rogue solo build? My friend is running some abysmal Tactician build that averages around 1k single target dps at lv 54, and he's never gonna level that way.

I'm using an RB/Sin build from the forums that's been working pretty well. I pull ~2.5k ST (level... 53?), and later on it apparently gets a bit (not much) AE.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 23, 2014

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
I really hope people show up like that next week so we can do more T2. We're so close on eggtenders, just need a tiny bit more dps across the board to account for fuckups.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

marhom posted:

I really hope people show up like that next week so we can do more T2. We're so close on eggtenders, just need a tiny bit more dps across the board to account for fuckups.

Or, you know, for the servers to actually work so we don't have to fight to get finishers off. I didn't get a single int or burst finish off with burst synergy last night. On top of that, I managed to die to a) cleave from behind the target when I was at least 5m behind everyone else and b) to phantom circles when my range indicator says I'm out of range of his god drat slam. I was really mad at video games last night.

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

I use a NB/RS build that's something like this: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/betaStorm2012#wkkkBiiAa8/A/t9kklg4

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

Kreczor posted:

Or, you know, for the servers to actually work so we don't have to fight to get finishers off. I didn't get a single int or burst finish off with burst synergy last night. On top of that, I managed to die to a) cleave from behind the target when I was at least 5m behind everyone else and b) to phantom circles when my range indicator says I'm out of range of his god drat slam. I was really mad at video games last night.

hey now, let's be realistic here

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

2.6 is looking to be a pretty beefy update. We've got:

http://rift.junkiesnation.com/2014/01/21/black-loyalty-tier-and-more-previewing-on-pts/

- A new loyalty tier for the 1% including "Treasure Map Boost – Permanently increases experience, notoriety, and token currency gained from all sources by 15%." (don't like this, but not going to lose my poo poo over 15%)

- Unstable artifacts, which can reward the new elemental squirrel mounts as rewards (Shadowtail owns)

- Other rewards for the artifacts are dimension trophies, some disco ball, and SAVE YOUR LUCKY COINS because:

quote:

Finally, there are some more random, fun trophy items to choose between. The Froggy Caller summons a swarm of frogs on a player to follow them around temporarily for 80 Lucky Coins or 720 Credits. The Gorgeous Frog Carving is most likely the item that you turn you into a frog (so you can be a frog with a herd of frogs!) for 80 Lucky Coins or 720 Credits.

There’s also a Dream Desk which is rewarded for an achievement and is a dimension item that looks like a standard desk, but hopefully does something spiffy for 100 Lucky Coins or 900 Credits. Last but not least, there’s the Transnogriflier for 80 Lucky Coins or 720 Credits. If I had any guess, I would say that this changes your character to look just like Snogs, the adorable pet that’s obtainable on Ember Isle (and is one of my top 5 pets in any game ever).

- Of course the Dreamweaving crafting skill, make sure to save your white artifacts if you want to level it up.

- Some sort of air saga that will be tied into a world event.

- This bloodfire stuff:

quote:

There are 48 new achievements under the Planes -> Fire achievement section having to do with a new threat that will encompass all areas of the Telara– the Bloodfire. These denizens from the Fire plane will launch a full-out attack in the form of Bloodfire Behemoth zone events that will appear in every zone. Completing these zone events will grant players with Infernal Conduit items that can be used to access a special instance called the Bloodfire Stronghold which lets players summon unique bosses. There are portals outside of Meridian/Sanctum that can be used to access the instance once you have the item to do so. There are, of course, achievements for defeating these bosses.

It looks like there are 7 bosses total that will be spread across different level ranges (level 15, 30, and 60). For defeating all 7 stronghold 5-man bosses, you’ll get the title of “Incinerator”. As a note, more than 5 players can be inside the stronghold at once, but the fights are tuned for 5 players. For completing all 16 Bloodfire Behemoth zone events, you’ll be rewarded with the “Bloodbane” title. For locating each of the NPCs associated with each of the 16 zone events, you’ll receive the title of “Huntsman/Huntswoman”.

For defeating 100 bosses in Bloodfire Stronghold, you’ll recieve a Crucia’s Supply Crate as well as the Infernal Plate Helm (previewed to the right) which is cosmetic. The grand prize is a mount obtainable called the Magma Walker which is made by leveling up a BoA Torrid Ember item to level 50. The level 1 Torrid Ember is obtained after completing the initial stronghold quest near the entrance portal. The Torrid Ember needs to be upgraded using Burning Cores, which drop off the Bloodfire Stronghold bosses.

There are also items purchasable off the RIFT Store called Stronghold Boosts which can be used to increase your chances of obtaining Essences from stronghold bosses in The Dendrome. These boosts expire which means they may be connected to the Air saga world event.

It’s important to note that the all of this Bloodfire content is most likely connected to the Air saga world event in some way and won’t launch the day at 2.6 is released. More on this in the next section!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

necrotic posted:

I'm using an RB/Sin build from the forums that's been working pretty well. I pull ~2.5k ST (level... 53?), and later on it apparently gets a bit (not much) AE.
I just levelled a rogue from 1-53 so far using this build and I vouch for it:

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-dis...eling-spec.html

Non stop single mob slaying, with some AE for rifts/IAs (purple flamethrower).

edit: 2-button solo build
edit2: on solo mobs in storm legion I'm doing 2.8-3.1k dps with level 50 weapons and gear from questlines in storm legion first two zones

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 24, 2014

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Well that explains why Best in Slot and Tank for Expert have skyrocketed in value.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
The servers have been unbelievably laggy these last few weeks. Could be a combination of my slower internet, but no other games have really given me as much trouble. I can't even send a chat message with waiting 3-10 seconds for it to appear.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
I figured I would just be playing this game for an evening then forget about it, but I am finding myself coming back. My character name is Agraya and could use a guild invite.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

AddMEonFacebook posted:

The servers have been unbelievably laggy these last few weeks. Could be a combination of my slower internet, but no other games have really given me as much trouble. I can't even send a chat message with waiting 3-10 seconds for it to appear.

It's not just you, it's gotten pretty bad for everyone. I've had some crazy ability lag outside of prime time even (mostly in CQ, though).

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The livestream yesterday revealed a few things such as new skins for combat pets that you will be able to choose, there are some screenshots here

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Eltoasto posted:

The livestream yesterday revealed a few things such as new skins for combat pets that you will be able to choose, there are some screenshots here

Trion is seriously stupid good about quality of life changes. Terrible at server infrastructure, but goddamn QoL is almost unparalleled.

Also did you see this about datamined stuff from 2.6? Water/Amphibious mounts :swoon:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Crocnard, the one true mount, better be able to do both.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

necrotic posted:

It's not just you, it's gotten pretty bad for everyone. I've had some crazy ability lag outside of prime time even (mostly in CQ, though).

Ya the lag in CQ gets pretty crazy sometimes. I really wish trion would get their act together with the servers because I like the direction of the game, it's just unplayable sometimes lol.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

It's odd because I checked out the official forums and I don't see anyone complaining about lag. Not to the degree they would be if everyone was being affected the way we are. Maybe it's derpwood? Maybe we get lovely instances?

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

It's odd because I checked out the official forums and I don't see anyone complaining about lag. Not to the degree they would be if everyone was being affected the way we are. Maybe it's derpwood? Maybe we get lovely instances?

Did FT/EE just now and the lag was really bad. There was a noticeable delay on regulos portals and FT was just awful.

For our main raid, I think we're down to two shards that don't suck quite as badly as the rest (deepwood and greybriar). If we get any other shard for our instance we reset. There is actually a limit on how many times you can reset a raid instance before it makes you stop for 15 minutes, and we've hit it.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Rianeva posted:

Did FT/EE just now and the lag was really bad. There was a noticeable delay on regulos portals and FT was just awful.

For our main raid, I think we're down to two shards that don't suck quite as badly as the rest (deepwood and greybriar). If we get any other shard for our instance we reset. There is actually a limit on how many times you can reset a raid instance before it makes you stop for 15 minutes, and we've hit it.

Addiction's raid this week was really super laggy. Trion continues to be unable to provide decent servers forever now.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
Okay. So you guys are on Deepwood, right? I'm about to transfer my old warrior, Vlas, over there. Also, all of my skill trees have been reset. My best gear is definitely DPS warrior stuff -- what skill builds are recommended for that and tanking?

Edit: Upon transferring, I have to change my name. I've been at this for about 10 minutes now and haven't managed to find one that isn't taken.

Edit again: Oh, I did it. Now my dwarf is named Laborer. How dull.

Dr. Bonertron fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 26, 2014

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Addiction's raid this week was really super laggy. Trion continues to be unable to provide decent servers forever now.

yeah. soft resetting because of hosed up mechanics on that last abominus platform was awful.

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.
Doesn't seem like anyone is online to invite right now so if anyone gets a chance can I get an invite for Elgruntox? Thanks ya'll

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Got ya

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I decided to play around with a few more test builds while trying to maintain my focus as a Paladin.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8gy/3k8i2/9kyEl4H9k8w
This is a Paladin 41/Warlord 11/Paragon 24 And the idea behind the build is very simple (if tempered by my inability to know a good ability when I see it) the Warlord levels mean I can weild Two-Handed weapons and still block for some of the Paladins abilities, the Riftblade stuff gives us a charging attack, a way to self-heal while doing damage, and some crit abilities.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8gFaiG9a/5/9kyEl4H9k8w
On the otherhand, dumping the Paragon stuff and going Paladin 41/Warlord 35/Beastmaster 0 (In Liue of Tempest) puts more into the Warlords Tree and gets its nice defensive abilities and status pulls. Again though I don't understand if I'm looking at a good skill or not so it's probably incredibly bad. Beastmaster is just there to summon a body I can throw at something.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8gy/7gFiF0/9kyEl4H9k8w
This is the Warlord 11/Champion 24/Paladin 41 build which I think I had planned differently before? The idea is to revel in the Champions AoE attacks to build up aggro and keep the monsters focused on me. Which given the parties tennancy to attack and pull the enemies long before I've had a chance to establish any threat, is probably a good thing.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8hha/5/9kGGiGFlaBh0
This is the Pure Paladin build in essence. Paladin 61/Warlord 15/Beast Master 0. Same reason for Beastmaster as before with Champion contributing a charge move, an interrupt and the ability to block shieldless.

So, any potential help on these would be appreciated. For the record I go by Onmi in game as well.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Why are you mixing tanking and DPS souls? Are you not paying attention to the "Gifts" from each soul? Hover over the soul icon in game (or in the soul tree links you posted) on the soul tree, the tooltip explains that every soul gets a different set of bonuses per-level.

Unfortunately the only thing you will do while focusing on Paladin is tanking, pre-Storm Legion you had the option to hybridize Justicar or even Chloro to do some serious healing and DPS/Support, but that option is long gone.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Onmi posted:

So I decided to play around with a few more test builds while trying to maintain my focus as a Paladin.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8gy/3k8i2/9kyEl4H9k8w
This is a Paladin 41/Warlord 11/Paragon 24 And the idea behind the build is very simple (if tempered by my inability to know a good ability when I see it) the Warlord levels mean I can weild Two-Handed weapons and still block for some of the Paladins abilities, the Riftblade stuff gives us a charging attack, a way to self-heal while doing damage, and some crit abilities.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8gFaiG9a/5/9kyEl4H9k8w
On the otherhand, dumping the Paragon stuff and going Paladin 41/Warlord 35/Beastmaster 0 (In Liue of Tempest) puts more into the Warlords Tree and gets its nice defensive abilities and status pulls. Again though I don't understand if I'm looking at a good skill or not so it's probably incredibly bad. Beastmaster is just there to summon a body I can throw at something.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8gy/7gFiF0/9kyEl4H9k8w
This is the Warlord 11/Champion 24/Paladin 41 build which I think I had planned differently before? The idea is to revel in the Champions AoE attacks to build up aggro and keep the monsters focused on me. Which given the parties tennancy to attack and pull the enemies long before I've had a chance to establish any threat, is probably a good thing.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8hha/5/9kGGiGFlaBh0
This is the Pure Paladin build in essence. Paladin 61/Warlord 15/Beast Master 0. Same reason for Beastmaster as before with Champion contributing a charge move, an interrupt and the ability to block shieldless.

So, any potential help on these would be appreciated. For the record I go by Onmi in game as well.

Stay away from Paladin for leveling. It offers very few good benefits and just slows you down. When you have enough cash for a second spec, then feel free to make a pure tanking build but for leveling you want a mixed Warlord/Champion build of which can be found here:
http://forums.riftgame.com/game-dis...-7-changes.html

Mind you, this is just a suggestion so don't be offended, but Paladin is utterly terrible to hybrid into a damage spec/a leveling one. Good luck.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Kreczor posted:

Stay away from Paladin for leveling. It offers very few good benefits and just slows you down. When you have enough cash for a second spec, then feel free to make a pure tanking build but for leveling you want a mixed Warlord/Champion build of which can be found here:

Keep in mind lowbie dungeons have been nerfed to oblivion so Warlord tanking is mostly viable with a monkey as a healer. Unfortunately some pubbies are worse than monkeys at healing. Speaking from experience leveling Poobrain.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

deimos posted:

Why are you mixing tanking and DPS souls? Are you not paying attention to the "Gifts" from each soul? Hover over the soul icon in game on the soul tree, the tooltip explains that every soul gets a different set of bonuses per-level.

Unfortunately the only thing you will do while focusing on Paladin is tanking, pre-Storm Legion you had the option to hybridize Justicar or even Chloro to do some serious healing and DPS/Support, but that option is long gone.

Because I am a terrible person who's personal playstyle is in conflict with his favourite soul. I know it's dumb to do and if I was really focusing on doing my job properly I would Run Pala/War/Void or Tempest if I had it. I also wouldn't run a two-handed weapon and really if it wasn't for the fact that I care that Reaver and Paladin are at odds flavor wise I would run them together. I mean I fully intend to have proper built roles for when I hit the content that needs them. For now I'm just sort of experimenting which flavor of terrible I can get away with and trying to make it the best flavor of terrible I can.

Kreczor posted:

Mind you, this is just a suggestion so don't be offended, but Paladin is utterly terrible to hybrid into a damage spec/a leveling one. Good luck.

Oh absolutely not offended I agree 100%. The fact that more than 2 enemies of the same or even lower level is usually enough to kill me outright if not leave me severely damaged says plenty that I should just focus on that guides build.

I just use Paladin because... well I like Paladins, rather lame reason I know.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

If we form up a raid tonight, don't save a spot for me. Going to be late, not sure how late but probably 20-30 minutes.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Onmi posted:

Because I am a terrible person who's personal playstyle is in conflict with his favourite soul.

...should just focus on that guides build.

I just use Paladin because... well I like Paladins, rather lame reason I know.

Doesn't make you a terrible person, rift is pretty fun in that you can do whatever you want just some roles are better at doing what it is specifically that you want.

I know just about enough from levelling a warrior to say, use the guide that Kreczor linked and you'll have fun soloing. Use your paladin or wahtever tanky builds you want for tanking but read over a few before completely making your own up because others have already put a lot of thought into tanking, save yourself the headache.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Patch!

quote:

* Fixed an issue that would cause the servers to crash.

Heh.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
i never noticed before but abominus' head disappears after you loot it, leaving this

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Rift can be quite scenic

I love climbing places, and taking screenshots, and taking screenshots after I've climbed up somewhere

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

mr. nobody posted:

I love climbing places, and taking screenshots, and taking screenshots after I've climbed up somewhere

Yeah, this game does a good job of rewarding exploration with both rewards (Cairns and the like) and beautiful landscapes. I love how far you can see from some spots.

mull
Jun 6, 2010

We don't really go in for that any more.
Can I get a guild invite? Just rolled a Cleric. IGN: Sprouter

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rift is pretty. I don't understand how people in some of the other threads (like Wildstar and TESO) can call the Rift world 'boring and uninspired' among other things. It's just weird to me, it's one of the better MMO game worlds I've experienced.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

The Locator posted:

Rift is pretty. I don't understand how people in some of the other threads (like Wildstar and TESO) can call the Rift world 'boring and uninspired' among other things. It's just weird to me, it's one of the better MMO game worlds I've experienced.
As someone who got bored and left before SL partly because of it:

There's very little variety within zones, the scenery is mostly interchangeable. The only launch zone that I think had a good variety of places was Scarwood Reach. The terrain is also just kind of there, it looks like they just cranked out something from their terrain generation algorithm of choice and let it go. Ember Isle is pretty much the only thing I'd call an exception to that, it's probably the best-designed zone in the game for a variety of reasons.

It's also intentionally dreary, and I'm pretty sure whoever did the art direction for this game was HR Giger's #1 fan or something (especially when they made the death plane stuff).

e: For reference, here's a screenshot of the spot I'm standing right now:

Randomly-generated terrain and some rocks, woo. :(

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 2, 2014

Paperfeed
Apr 14, 2008
So I want to get into this but all I'm getting when trying to install/download through the patcher is "Downloading has failed. Error #1003" I've tried pretty much everything I could find on Google and put in a support ticket, but perhaps one of you knows what I am missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashTestVictim
Oct 2, 2003

...roink PERFECT.
I haven't played this game in about 2 years but I'm on Deepwood now as Gargash. I'm practically learning the game all over again.

• Locked thread