Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BlueArmyMan posted:

I worded that poorly, but when I said cross paths, I meant matches. I've read Foley's books, and all the Austin/Foley antics. The cookie incident still makes me laugh like a fool.

The thought of Tera Ryzing facing off against Stunning Steve Austin or Cactus Jack amuses me greatly.

Tera Ryzing did face Road Dogg in WCW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik7KWsns24A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When was the last time a heel in WWE used the "feet on the ropes" cheap pin? I can't remember even seeing someone attempt one, let alone win with it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

When was the last time a heel in WWE used the "feet on the ropes" cheap pin? I can't remember even seeing someone attempt one, let alone win with it.

Damien Sandow has definitely attempted it and I think won with it at some point.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Jack Swagger, Elimination Chamber 2013.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm pretty sure Cena did it at One Night Stand 2006 against RVD. Jeez that was a long time ago.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

When was the last time John Cena won a match with an uninterrupted "five moves of doom" sequence?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Umbra Dubium posted:

When was the last time John Cena won a match with an uninterrupted "five moves of doom" sequence?

Against Darren Young before WrestleMania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1PiDGPOt7o

I Before E posted:

Jack Swagger, Elimination Chamber 2013.

This was just a standard rollup.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

Against Darren Young before WrestleMania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1PiDGPOt7o

This was just a standard rollup.

Okay, I must have misremembered, I know he did a foot on the ropes pin sometime last year.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
When did Undertaker transition to a ~1 appearance per year kind of guy and how did they do it in storyline?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

When did Undertaker transition to a ~1 appearance per year kind of guy and how did they do it in storyline?

2010 was the last time we saw him in a non-WM match- he lost a "Buried Alive" match to Kane at Bragging Rights and was, as such, literally buried alive, coming back early next year to start the build vs. HHH at WM 27.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

He actually had a couple non WM matches in 2013 vs the Shield, but the Kane angle was the last with him as a full timer.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bigass Moth posted:

He got injured a few years back, and came back on Smackdown to face Rey and Rey broke his cheek literally five minutes into a match, then as stated he finished the Kane angle and that was that (I think he dropped out of the Fatal Four-way and they said he was in a coma or something stupid in story line before wrestling a couple of matches, of which I'm sure he only did a run in in one if I remember correctly).

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 3, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Vegetative state. Which led to the really creepy Broccoli Undertaker meme.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't they move Edge over to cover for Taker being out and then we had that amazing "I'm the babyface!" *pushes Bearer down the steps* angle?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Although, realistically, he's been part-time since he went back to being the Dead Man. Like 2 programs a year, including Mania. He's basically booked like Vince always said guys like Andre, Khali and Show should be.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Although, realistically, he's been part-time since he went back to being the Dead Man. Like 2 programs a year, including Mania. He's basically booked like Vince always said guys like Andre, Khali and Show should be.

Even longer, after WCW died one of Sting's demands was he wanted Undertaker's schedule and Vince told him only Undertaker gets that schedule.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Anything fotUT going into mania this year?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Anything fotUT going into mania this year?

Lesnar, MAYBE Bryan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Even longer, after WCW died one of Sting's demands was he wanted Undertaker's schedule and Vince told him only Undertaker gets that schedule.

At that point wasn't it more about house shows, though? Taker did most TVs and PPVs around that time, didn't he?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Chewy Bitems posted:

This is from a couple pages back after a question about foreigners being heels and I was wondering:

How well known was it at the time that Rikidozan was Korean? was it something glossed over or ignored or was it just accepted and nobody cared when it came to him?

Apparently people didn't know he was Korean until after his death. Considering he quit sumo partially because of discrimination against Koreans at the time, even if it was the post-WW2 age I doubt the Japanese would've accepted Rikidozan as their main babyface hero.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

At that point wasn't it more about house shows, though? Taker did most TVs and PPVs around that time, didn't he?

I think he still did some house shows at that point. It's become more limited over time, in the last 5 years it is basically "whatever he can do."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
From the News thread:

Dexters Secret posted:

Why does that work?

The answer is that Bryan Alvarez has too much time and money. Basically, there was a period during the B&V podcasts, where it was almost a running gag that Bryan would either rant about something, or find something funny, and then they'd buy a related URL and redirect it to the Figure 4 site. As such, there's been a few of those.

https://www.vinnyisagoober.com used to lead to the site too, as I recall. (No longer works, I checked.)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Can someone who has been around WH/PSP longer than me remember the last time the WWE discussion thread reached 80 pages? I looked through the weekly threads that are still in the live boards, and most of them were around 17-25 pages, with the highest being 40, the week before TLC 2013, literally half of what the current thread is at. Can anyone remember the last time so much poo poo has happened in the WWE in such a short amount of time?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

2010 was the last time we saw him in a non-WM match- he lost a "Buried Alive" match to Kane at Bragging Rights and was, as such, literally buried alive, coming back early next year to start the build vs. HHH at WM 27.

Taker worked a few post Mania appearances last year, especially w/ Kane & Bryan, culminating on The Shield power bombing him through the announcer's table

http://youtu.be/KqdDQTqmqTQ

Reins spear of Taker through the barricade is going to be in Reins' career highlight reel forever

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Memento posted:

Can someone who has been around WH/PSP longer than me remember the last time the WWE discussion thread reached 80 pages? I looked through the weekly threads that are still in the live boards, and most of them were around 17-25 pages, with the highest being 40, the week before TLC 2013, literally half of what the current thread is at. Can anyone remember the last time so much poo poo has happened in the WWE in such a short amount of time?

I know the original Nexus Invasion was over 100, along with the Daniel Brian firing threads, and I think the pipebomb week was really long too as people tried to decipher the shootiness level there.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So I was bored and looking up Royal Rumble articles and fun facts and stuff when I found an article on Bleacher Report about missing wrestlers from the match itself. When it got to the 1995 one the author said this:

quote:

Rather than go into detail, just know that the majority of participants in the 1995 Royal Rumble match were scabs.

And the match itself was one of the worst Royal Rumbles, if not the worst, in WWF history. This despite providing one of the most epic finishes and easily the most memorable moment in Rumble history. Never forget the words: "Only One Foot."

What's even even talking about here? Was the Rumble completely changed or something before the show? Or is he just mad that he didn't like the 1995 rumble?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It was a Dusty finish where it appeared British Bulldog had won, then Shawn Michaels attacked him from behind. Then they explained that Shawn had won because only one of his feet had touched the floor when he was tossed out.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

It was a Dusty finish where it appeared British Bulldog had won, then Shawn Michaels attacked him from behind. Then they explained that Shawn had won because only one of his feet had touched the floor when he was tossed out.

Oh I know that, but the article was about wrestlers who were either kayfabe or legit removed from the Rumbles and either replaced or no-showed and he seems to make a big deal about a large portion of the roster being removed or switched from the rumble by calling them scabs.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

That always struck me as being ridiculously unfair, because they played the Bulldog's music, and he thought he'd won. He was given zero chance to protect himself against Shawn dumping him.

Then again, Alberto Del Rio managed to avoid getting tossed by Santino when his music was playing, so...

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Memento posted:

I have too much time on my hands :

The CM Punk shoot promo was 65 pages.

The Nexus debut was "only" 43 pages.

It was topped by the week John Lauranitis became the RAW GM (43 pages) and the week CM Punk "left" the WWE with Cena's title, and started tweeting photos of himself at various spots in his hometown (45 pages)

The second most popular weekly discussion thread was actually the week after The Miz won the Wrestlemania main event (54 pages). This was the week that they announced Rock vs Cena over a year before the match took place and Daniel Bryan's Wrestlemania debut got pulled from the show without warning.. It's uh.. It's not a very positive discussion ^^;

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

What is the payscale like for a WWE wrestler? For an appearance on Monday Night Raw how much would some random jobber get paid vs. a midcard staple like R-Truth vs. a Cena or an Orton?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Max Overthruster posted:

What is the payscale like for a WWE wrestler? For an appearance on Monday Night Raw how much would some random jobber get paid vs. a midcard staple like R-Truth vs. a Cena or an Orton?

If you are an actual jobber who isn't under contract you are making at least $500 per appearance. I have no idea how much it is now, but that's how much some jobbers of the past were paid. $500 is the unofficial rule for the least they'll pay. It's hard to say how much specific guys are making, but I'd guess it's between $750 and $5,000 for a show like Raw. Part timers like Brock or Rock will get more. Main roster guys who are on most of the shows are getting low six figures, and it goes up from there to guys like Cena who is making I'd guess 2-3 million per year. It's really hard to judge how much guys in the middle make, but the more PPVs you do the more you'll make.

It's a really hard question to answer. The payroll that's been posted in the past is totally bogus, and except in the cases of contracts that get leaked we don't know specifics. Brock is getting something like $6 million a year for three PPV matches. Rock was getting that kind of deal too but probably more.

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

If you are an actual jobber who isn't under contract you are making at least $500 per appearance. I have no idea how much it is now, but that's how much some jobbers of the past were paid. $500 is the unofficial rule for the least they'll pay. It's hard to say how much specific guys are making, but I'd guess it's between $750 and $5,000 for a show like Raw. Part timers like Brock or Rock will get more. Main roster guys who are on most of the shows are getting low six figures, and it goes up from there to guys like Cena who is making I'd guess 2-3 million per year. It's really hard to judge how much guys in the middle make, but the more PPVs you do the more you'll make.

It's a really hard question to answer. The payroll that's been posted in the past is totally bogus, and except in the cases of contracts that get leaked we don't know specifics. Brock is getting something like $6 million a year for three PPV matches. Rock was getting that kind of deal too but probably more.

Thanks for the info, am I wrong in thinking that these guys are on their own as far as travel expenses, car rental, gas, hotel costs, etc? If so, it's gotta be a real hard way to make a living unless you're at the top of the card.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Max Overthruster posted:

Thanks for the info, am I wrong in thinking that these guys are on their own as far as travel expenses, car rental, gas, hotel costs, etc? If so, it's gotta be a real hard way to make a living unless you're at the top of the card.

Airfare is paid for, I think hotels are paid for, car rental, gas and food are not.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Explain to me the entire Alliance to End Hulkamania, because Hogan and Savage beating 9 guys seems hilarious.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Explain to me the entire Alliance to End Hulkamania, because Hogan and Savage beating 9 guys seems hilarious.

It was almost 10, but Brian Pillman outsmarted Hulkster (and everybody else with authority in WCW).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Hogan feuded with the Dungeon of Doom for much of 1995, and feuded with Ric Flair off and on throughout his WCW run. During the winter of 1995 Hogan was feuding with both of them at the same time while Kevin Sullivan developed mutual respect for Anderson and Flair. They decided to align their two stables to try and take down Hogan one final time. Liz came into WCW and turned on Macho to join with Flair, which added a ton of heat to the Macho/Flair feud and ended up turning WCW's house show business around. Hogan was also pissed at this point because the Billionaire Ted sketches claimed he had it in his contract that he never had to lose, so he did two screwy losses to Anderson to try and show that wasn't true.

Originally the plan was to do Hogan vs four monsters in four different cages while Savage took on Benoit at the PPV. Benoit had a NJPW conflict and Hogan decided he wanted to go over more dudes. So they changed it to the Alliance (Flair, Anderson, Sullivan, Faces of Fear, Luger, Z Gangsta (Zeus) and The Ultimate Solution (Jeep Swenson) in a three tiered cage match which was located next to the entrance way. Hogan also wanted Pillman in it because Pillman was a hot commodity but Pillman had just done the bookerman shoot angle so he got a surgery he sort of needed to avoid doing a job for Hogan.

Let's throw it to Stagger Lee Marshall to explain the rules.

Thanks Lee.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Airfare is paid for, I think hotels are paid for, car rental, gas and food are not.

AFAIK, hotels aren't unless you're a top guy with it in your contract, unless it's a recent change. Because there's all kinds of stories about guys sharing rooms to reduce costs.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

MassRafTer posted:

Thanks Lee.

The poor man's Paul Bearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Have Daniel Bryan and Tajiri ever faced each other? It seems like a perfect match, and yet somehow, I've never heard of it happening.