Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Holy gently caress that was a fun show to be at. I'm sorry of shoddy camerawork or a bad stream ruined it for anyone, because for me being there live was goddamned fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
Never watched these shows (Indie I guess) before, it was a lot of fun. It's cool actually seeing a crowd get what it wants and be happy.

But like others have said, the production was really bad. I can understand not have massive HD cameras like WWE, but the static or clicking or whatever the gently caress noise it was during the whole thing was maddening. I'm no A/V expert but is that really that hard to take care of?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Who cares? OUTATIME.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Honestly the end sequence would have been better for the stream if they had paid any attention to where the hard camera was. Instead the entire last segment was mostly made up of the sight of people's backs with it nigh on impossible to tell who was speaking and what was going on.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Matlock posted:

Who cares? OUTATIME.

The Delorean was really the best possible payoff of the 3.0/Archie plotline.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
One thing I don't get is The Shard. He wasn't with the other Gekido guys whenever they showed up afaik but he is this time so is he going to be part of this big heel group too? Is he still going to be teaming with Jigsaw once Chikara starts running shows again?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Suben posted:

One thing I don't get is The Shard. He wasn't with the other Gekido guys whenever they showed up afaik but he is this time so is he going to be part of this big heel group too? Is he still going to be teaming with Jigsaw once Chikara starts running shows again?

Shard was always with the Gekido, so it fits he'd be with them now. He was with them at Wrestling is Respect's last show too. Him and Jigsaw teamed on that show, but Jigsaw left before the end. When CHIKARA restarts, I have no idea if the titles with remain with the people who last held them, or if everything restarts from scratch.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Suben posted:

I figured it was just an Indy Supershow with various stars showing up, and I enjoyed it for that. I had no idea any of the people were in any sort of storyline. The announcers could have really done a better job helping us newbies.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DM Punk posted:

Shard was always with the Gekido, so it fits he'd be with them now. He was with them at Wrestling is Respect's last show too. Him and Jigsaw teamed on that show, but Jigsaw left before the end. When CHIKARA restarts, I have no idea if the titles with remain with the people who last held them, or if everything restarts from scratch.

Everything will restart except for the Colony and Archie, and for some reason everyone will be wearing full bodysuits with weird armor panel lines.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bluedust posted:

I figured it was just an Indy Supershow with various stars showing up, and I enjoyed it for that. I had no idea any of the people were in any sort of storyline. The announcers could have really done a better job helping us newbies.

That group at the end was the Chikara equivalent of if, say, the Shield, Wyatt Family, Nexus, Brood and Demolition (with new guys replacing those who wouldn't be available) decided to snuff out everything WWE, only for 3MB to stand up to them before the Miz leads an army of faces to save the day.

Except Icarus is considerably more likeable than face Miz.

DM Punk posted:

It looks like Jigsaw's status in all of this is going to be one of the plot points in the near future. He originally sided with Gekido because Quack was being overly ruthless against them when he figured all they wanted was respect. Now it's apparent that they want more than that, so it's up in the air which side Jigsaw's on.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who wants to bet the owner of the Delorean got a bigger payoff than all of the talent combined

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

EugeneJ posted:

Who wants to bet the owner of the Delorean got a bigger payoff than all of the talent combined

Is that before or after parking fees?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Did a google search and one place is asking $1500 per day to rent one. Unless someone knew a guy who could get it on the cheap, that had to be quite the expense for Quack. Plus flying in Archie, 3.0, Ares, etc for that ending angle. If CHIKARA shut down due to financial issues, I wonder where all this money came for a free show.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

It's my understanding that there's another money mark behind NPWD, at least there certainly was last year, so technically the money didn't necessarily come from the Chikara budget.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002

Gavok posted:

It looks like Jigsaw's status in all of this is going to be one of the plot points in the near future. He originally sided with Gekido because Quack was being overly ruthless against them when he figured all they wanted was respect. Now it's apparent that they want more than that, so it's up in the air which side Jigsaw's on.

It's interesting to see the possibilities coming from this. They did a good job of leaving some doors open while still ending the current story.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gordy posted:

It's interesting to see the possibilities coming from this. They did a good job of leaving some doors open while still ending the current story.

The Titor-buying-out-Chikara thing still isn't over though, Archie's just back from Parts Unknown which was super important because ? and then they beat up the bad guy superteam.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

TotalHell posted:

Holy gently caress that was a fun show to be at. I'm sorry of shoddy camerawork or a bad stream ruined it for anyone, because for me being there live was goddamned fantastic.

These are my sentiments exactly. If you watch the stream you can see me for a decent amount on it. I'm the white guy with an afro wearing a 3.0 shirt sitting against the wall on the the opposite side of the ring from the main camera,

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 2, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I take while the live steam was free there's no way to view it now?

Out of town for wedding so I missed it. Sounds roughly what I expected though.

DM Punk posted:

Did a google search and one place is asking $1500 per day to rent one. Unless someone knew a guy who could get it on the cheap, that had to be quite the expense for Quack. Plus flying in Archie, 3.0, Ares, etc for that ending angle. If CHIKARA shut down due to financial issues, I wonder where all this money came for a free show.

I have no way of knowing, but given that no KOT was held which is their most reliable money maker I'm inclined to believe this is more a combination of Quack wanting a break and Quack's obsession with ARGs.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Thauros posted:

I take while the live steam was free there's no way to view it now?

Replay is still up for now.

It's missing the chunks when the stream died, but it's there.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Looks like it's available to watch at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haU-BfRKnLc

E:F;B

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Literally The Worst posted:

The Titor-buying-out-Chikara thing still isn't over though, Archie's just back from Parts Unknown which was super important because ? and then they beat up the bad guy superteam.

After that weird scavenger hunt episode, Titor decided to sell off Chikara to the highest bidder as a way of washing their hands of the situation. The winner apparently turned out to be an art company owned by Robbie Ellis (a jacked old man wrestler who appeared a couple times in 2007/8). A weird turn of events, but it at least allows Chikara to come back while suggesting that it's in the hands of a benevolent owner.

So that part's done with. It's just that Titor is still out there being evil and they'll probably strike back in some form. In that one Ashes episode with Archie's weird chart, it mentioned "the Titan of Titor", suggesting that they'll be represented by a wrestler at some point. Who knows.

Archie's thing was just lead-up for that Delorean bit. A storyline reason for he and 3.0 to show up just in time to turn the tide of battle, else the bad guys would have snuffed out Chikara completely.

Gordy posted:

Yeah, stuff is actually leading somewhere now. Still, the dangling plotlines:

- Why is Jimmy Jacobs out to destroy everything related to Chikara?
- Who is the fake Dr. Cube?
- Eddie Kingston's outright hatred of Chikara's revival.
- Soldier Ant being MIA.
- Jigsaw and Shard's relationship in light of the Jacobs super-stable.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Gavok posted:

- Soldier Ant being MIA.

In the case of Kingston at least, he had been getting increasingly frustrated with the fans since before all this occurred due to them turning on him, which was in turn due to his lengthy (and rather dull,) CHIKARA Grand Championship reign. So I imagine he was content with CHIKARA being dead and probably hates the possibility that he'll now have to defend the title once again, or that he might not be recognized as the ongoing champion at all.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

So, after finally rewatching NPWD, because it was not licensed on YouTube in Germany due to some music license BS, I have to say that has to have some of the worst camera work in wrestling since Kevin Dunn constantly missing the Busaiku Knee. The camera was just so all over the place, missing most, if not all unmaskings, any mic work was barely understandable.

That said, definitely a very hot and exciting ending to what still was one of the worst storylines in wrestling history.

Also, I still can't believe that we are in the year 2014 and people are chanting FOR Icarus, that's still hard to get used to.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Gavok posted:

- Soldier Ant being MIA.

-Bill Cosby
-Bill Cosby
-Bill Cosby
-Kidnapped by Drew Gulak
-Bill Cosby

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Matlock posted:

-Bill Cosby
-Bill Cosby
-Bill Cosby
-Kidnapped by Drew Gulak
-Bill Cosby

"Well he sure Jell-o pudding POPPED the crowd here tonight in the Chikaradome!"

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Gavok posted:

He was dressed up as Marty Jannetty, his kayfabe hero. At least, I hope it's only kayfabe.

I thought that was supposed to be Miracleman, and I'm far more disappointed now (though likely not as much as if I read Neil Gaiman tying up his Miracleman run).

Gavok posted:

At some point, Jimmy Jacobs unmasked as the leader for whatever reason (mad about Team Chikara beating Team ROH at Cibernetico?) and laughed at Icarus. He said something along the lines of, "We have an army and you have eight? How do you think you're going to stop us?"

Ummm...they didn't think anybody thought Jimmy was being a secret, did they? When I first saw him, I thought 'oh look, it's Jimmy Jacobs wearing a Plague Doctor Mask, so he's one of these many, many evil villains'. Jimmy has quite distinctive hair.

Otherwise echoing what other people said, reasonably fun show, not excellent wrestling, Heidi Lovelace needs more work, and that the giant brawl was poorly explained, miced up poorly and shot even worse.

I like to think that Robert Evans just owns a Delorean, he sure loves Back to the Future enough to do a little carsplay.

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012

DM Punk posted:

I'm sure they found someone that could donate their time, since the whole thing was a charity event. Couldn't have been too difficult.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought that was a fun show, aside from missing the Bennett/Hallowicked match. Honestly one of the more fun wrestling shows I've watched in quite awhile including WWE and TNA. The Baltic Siege vs Bloc Party and Kingston vs Dasher were especially fun. Just lots of different things and people having fun, and the idea that they raised some money for a good cause makes me feel better than I usually feel watching this scummy business with WWE and TNA. Hopefully it wasn't bullshit.

I didn't find the end part too hard to follow either. The big problem to me was that the heels didn't do a little establishing promo to get over who they are and the cameras weren't on Cube's men when they unmasked as Chikara folk. I don't mind the lower production values but that story could have stood for some promos and focus. Still, I got the gist of it. But as I've said before I think I'm crazy enough to follow and enjoy Quackenbush storytelling and I had been following Ashes.

Does Icarus look like mini-Jeff Jarrett to anyone else?

Suben posted:

Heidi Lovelace kind of sucks imo; she moves around the ring and does moves like she has no confidence in herself and it made all of her offensive flurries look like garbage.
I've seen her in OVW quite a bit and I think she's a bit better than that. The size difference and having to play the extreme underdog because of it I think threw her off quite a bit. Not to say she's great. She's pretty green, but I've seen her wrestle much better matches against more evenly matched opponents.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

OmegaBR posted:

In the case of Kingston at least, he had been getting increasingly frustrated with the fans since before all this occurred due to them turning on him, which was in turn due to his lengthy (and rather dull,) CHIKARA Grand Championship reign. So I imagine he was content with CHIKARA being dead and probably hates the possibility that he'll now have to defend the title once again, or that he might not be recognized as the ongoing champion at all.

I'm glad they're doing that. Someone earlier in the thread says that Ophidian is a far better face than a heel and Eddie's the opposite. His heel matches are fun to watch, but his face matches tend to just be him in peril for all of it while selling his knee a little too well to the point that it's uncomfortable.

Wazzu posted:

Ummm...they didn't think anybody thought Jimmy was being a secret, did they? When I first saw him, I thought 'oh look, it's Jimmy Jacobs wearing a Plague Doctor Mask, so he's one of these many, many evil villains'. Jimmy has quite distinctive hair.

It was pretty obvious to some of the guys behind me that it was Jacobs, but it was still supposed to be a surprise that he was even there. All the other villains were established and showed up once or twice before. This was Jacobs' first appearance in that outfit and he was taking point, so while the commentators didn't even touch on it (probably because there was too much being said to interrupt), it was supposed to be shocking that Jacobs was apparently the leader of the group. As far as I know, he's only wrestled twice in Chikara in the past couple years and both times were part of the Chikara vs. Ring of Honor feud.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Tickets go on sale for their return in May to Easton TONIGHT. I imagine the first show back will do well, but it will be interesting to see after that, especially if they tour outside their home base this year.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I got an awkward hug from Maria, so I guess NPWD was a success?

(Note - the awkwardness was on my end as I was unwillingly hugged)

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Tickets on sale now. Front Row is mysteriously not available, but the rumor is those are saved for the people with I AM CHIKARA shirts.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LobsterMobster posted:

I got an awkward hug from Maria, so I guess NPWD was a success?

(Note - the awkwardness was on my end as I was unwillingly hugged)

That sure is a thing. Why on Earth did Maria randomly hug you? Even though that's kind of :3: I guess.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002

Gavok posted:

- Soldier Ant being MIA.

Plus, one of the evil ants was pulled through the entrance curtains right before the brawl, who was it that kidnapped him? Also, will Donst appear on Jacobs side, or is he just gone from Chikara altogether? When will Quack appear again?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gordy posted:

Plus, one of the evil ants was pulled through the entrance curtains right before the brawl, who was it that kidnapped him? Also, will Donst appear on Jacobs side, or is he just gone from Chikara altogether? When will Quack appear again?
Donst was in the Ashes videos as a highly medicated guy so I'm sure he'll show up as a babyface in due time. Same with a lot of the guys that showed up in those videos; probably just in time for Cibernetico.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gordy posted:

It was 17, one of the GEKIDO, not one of the evil Ants. A cane came through the curtain and grabbed him, so it's a toss-up between Jervis Cottonbelly (who carries a cane as all gentlemen do) or Mike Quackenbush, who was seen using a cane in an "Ashes" teaser (that has yet to pay out) and in that "Ashes" video where Icarus visits him.

It was probably Quack, since Jervis was one of the fake minions.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
http://www.chikarapro.com/

Scrapped everything about the old site, just a giant splash page for the May show. Although the old name and logo is being used.

Looks like a lot of the Wrestling Is sites are down too.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That sure is a thing. Why on Earth did Maria randomly hug you? Even though that's kind of :3: I guess.

She was doing her "Donate for a good cause" thing between matches and asked who in the crowd had donated. I raised my hand, and since I was in the front row, she was all "Yay, I'm gonna give you a hug!" and I didn't want to stiff arm Maria because I'm an awkward weirdo, so I reluctantly stood up.

And then she didn't hug anyone else who donated, so that made it even weirder (Some friends afterwards asked if we knew each other from back in the day)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

She was probably more willing to have physical contact with another woman than the sort of guy that tends to show up at indie wrestling shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

Tickets on sale now. Front Row is mysteriously not available, but the rumor is those are saved for the people with I AM CHIKARA shirts.

Second row is now sold out as well. Probably shouldn't have waited for the morning to get my tickets.

• Locked thread