Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'm watching the show on Hulu and the fourth episode hasn't been posted. Anyone else having this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MelvinBison posted:

I'm watching the show on Hulu and the fourth episode hasn't been posted. Anyone else having this problem?

Each episode hits Hulu one week after airing, I think.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Takoluka posted:

The gap is that big now? poo poo. Is this intentional? I hope it's a glitch and FUNimation is unaware. If FUNimation.com works for you though, use that.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Takoluka posted:

That means it would've dropped last Sunday, since ep. 3 aired on the 19th.

livingfruitvirus posted:

The gap is that big now? poo poo. Is this intentional? I hope it's a glitch and FUNimation is unaware. If FUNimation.com works for you though, use that.

I'd rather not have to pay for both Crunchyroll and Funimation, so let's see how this week goes.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MelvinBison posted:

That means it would've dropped last Sunday, since ep. 3 aired on the 19th.
Episode 3 did drop on the 26th or so, I believe, because I remember wondering why the hell it wasn't showing up in my Hulu queue for so long. You can probably expect episode 4 to be on Hulu tomorrow.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The new episode is charming as heck so far.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

jonjonaug posted:

The new episode is charming as heck so far.

That's the Dandy way to do it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That episode was Watanabe as gently caress, and that's cool (that song was terrible though).

Anyone know who the designer of the girl is? She looks extremely familiar.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 2, 2014

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Holy drat, that was cute and touching and beautiful.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If it weren't for the zombie episode I'd say this was the best so far, if cliche.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Really cute episode, showing that Dandy range.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Well that was really great.

Rodyle posted:

That episode was Watanabe as gently caress, and that's cool (that song was terrible though).

Here's the alien designers for this episode.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Genocyber posted:

If it weren't for the zombie episode I'd say this was the best so far, if cliche.

Yeah, last week was just too good, as cute as this week was.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Rodyle posted:

The Dandy site has specific design credits for the primary aliens for each episode. They're in Japanese, though.

http://space-dandy.com/episode/05/

Masayuki Ogisu - the girl, her grandfather, the penguin
Akemi Hayashi - the alien hunters

Ogisu also designed the dudes in the ramen shop in episode 2.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Episode 5 was a nice change of pace. Nothing truly extraordinary in my opinion, albeit the direction and animation were pretty good, but just a fairly decent and heartwarming watch. I guess they wanted to insert some breathing room between the endless gags and it's working out well.

wielder fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 2, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That was a pretty spectacular episode. There was nothing new about it, but it was pretty good. It felt so much like Cowboy Bebop, and that gave me some chills. Also, I just picked up on "woolongs" being used as currency. Oh god, please, Dandy, you making me miss that Space Cowboy...

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Everyone's favorite (fake) currency should be Woolongs.

I like that we can have serious episodes. Because it means it's simply not one thing, but rather an "adventure-of-the-week" style like Cowboy Bebop. I find that flexibility is rather good for establishing a wide viewer base.

But I am bummed out that they didn't use the Rocket Ship song at any point...

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I was wondering how this show would handle the transition from a dark zombie comedy to a more sentimental episode.

Turns out it handled it just fine.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Was I the only person who noticed the aliens were called "Gentooans" and one of them was a penguin?

Zeether fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 2, 2014

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The only disappointment I found with episode 5 was that it did not end by cutting back to QT and Meow, still waiting on that bench at the impound lot, wondering if Dandy is actually coming back. Otherwise a very nicce change of pace and a very fun episode.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

FauxGateau posted:

But I am bummed out that they didn't use the Rocket Ship song at any point...

Promo songs are for promos only.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zeether posted:

Was I the only person who noticed the aliens were called "Gentooans" and one of them was a penguin?

No, no you weren't. :) It's a great joke.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FauxGateau posted:

Everyone's favorite (fake) currency should be Woolongs.

I like how Woolongs, like in Cowboy Bebop, are worth more or less the same as Yen, which makes the bounty Dandy got in episode 3 be worth very little indeed.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

Zeether posted:

I am genuinely upset that I didn't get a joke this obvious.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Well, the gentoo is a kind of penguin anyway, though I wouldn't be surprised if they had both angles in mind.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 2, 2014

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
That was lovely. I kind of hoped they might have snuck in a blonde woman wearing a black fur hat, but I'll certainly settle for bad guys with space dragoons.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"Dandy doesn't sweat the small stuff." :allears:

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Zeether posted:

You realize this episode was packed full of penguin puns, right?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm glad to see that someone on this production team still knows how to write an episode. Every week is better than the last.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Fun facts: Shinichiro Watanabe is credited as writing the first episode. Dai Sato has 2 and 6, Kimiko Ueno has 3 and 4, and Ichiro Okouchi has episode 5. Hayashi Mori and Keiko Nobumoto are credited and writers but not for specific episodes.

With the first episode, I think they just tried way too hard to say "Hey, guys, this totally ISN'T Cowboy Bebop."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Huh, I didn't know Okouchi could still write, I sort of assumed anything he touched turned to ash these days. Good to know!

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Speaking of Dai Sato and episode 6........promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XVVoC8RrM8

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

HellCopter posted:

I'm glad to see that someone on this production team still knows how to write an episode. Every week is better than the last.

I still prefer 4 the most. Last night's was alright, but it didn't get much out of me emotionally. Probably because this is still mainly a comedy and there has been little build up to earn a more serious episode already.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

livingfruitvirus posted:

Speaking of Dai Sato and episode 6........promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XVVoC8RrM8

Did he say chesticles or was I hearing things?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

xanthan posted:

Did he say chesticles or was I hearing things?

That is exactly what he said.

This is a great show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love the very end where Dandy falls flat on his rear end out the Aloha.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This last episode of Space Dandy was easily the weakest, and hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

swamp izzo posted:

This last episode of Space Dandy was easily the weakest, and hopefully not a sign of things to come.

how does it feel being mayor of wrongville, population: you

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I think I'm watching it mostly for the animation and the gross alien designs at this point. Visually it's really sharp, but the actual episodes have been... fair. Maybe it'll all shake out in the end, we'll see, but it feels really disposable at this point to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Takoluka posted:

how does it feel being mayor of wrongville, population: you

I don't know man, I think I agree with him. The last episode felt kinda lame and generic to me. "Anime protagonist takes care of lost child and learns how to care about people other than himself" has been done in like everything. It might as well of been about how great the power of friendship is or whatever. The zombie episode is still reigning king.

• Locked thread