Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I got started on filling up my new 50G with stuff today. I'm loving the extra room it has over the 20G.

Picked up lights, driftwood, and some of the taller plants that my LFS had. I wasn't sure if I was going to get a decent sized bit of driftwood or not, but when I went to the store to grab the light they had loads of the stuff for much cheaper than elsewhere. I paid $30 for a decent sized piece which would have cost me $150 (who would seriously pay that much?) elsewhere for one about the same size.

The driftwood is in two pieces now because I had to cut some off the bottom to get it to sit flat and that just happened to be the part that was holding it all together. Oh well, the fish will have some space to hide on the inside now.

I'm not sure what to do with the plants though, I still need to get some smaller ones for the front and right side of the tank but I'm not sure if I should fill out the back with tall plants all the way or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I wouldn't fill out the back all the way across. I think it looks perfect as is. Maybe a carpeting plant on the right, but I wouldn't do anything more than that.

I would, if possible, move the filter intake/output to the planted side though.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
Welp, my gf's tank heater just tried to murder everything. Got up to about 88F before we caught it. Looks like the zebra danios will be fine, they seem pretty stoked about the whole thing. Everything else is dead though. Fuuuuuck.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Why is my tank water yellow? This is an established tank but I've been having problems with algae lately so I decided to clean the whole thing, every single little part of it, instead of doing it the gravel-vac way like I normally do.
I cleaned everything, literally left no stone unturned; I took all the rocks out and cleaned them under some warm water and set them to the side while I cleaned out the tank itself. I also discovered that the filter hasn't been working and took the filter apart and cleaned all the algae out of it and also bought a new carbon filter thinger for it as well. I treated it normally, with Clean Water, the correct amounts as I do each time, but when I got home from picking up the new filter packs, the water had gone from purple (the Clean Water is purple, even says it will turn the water purple) to yellow.
There is nothing around the tank that is causing an illusion, but I got a glass of water from the tank and the water is clear in the glass. I have never had this happen before. The water is just yellow.
It doesn't smell funky, but right now I'm afraid to put my fish back into it (a small betta and a Chinese algae eater) just in case something's actually wrong besides it being yellow.
I have no way of testing the water and it's too late to go back out now for test kits.

Uhm so.. why is the water yellow?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If its in a spot where there's a lot of light, it's most likely just algae suspended in the water. Not really much to be done about it besides reducing light and nutrient loads. Your fish should be fine though.

edit: I got a new buddy. That chain loach is in trouble now if he starts up more poo poo. I've got compunctions about killing a fish for being a bad tankmate, but no compunctions against obeying the food chain.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 26, 2014

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

SynthOrange posted:

If its in a spot where there's a lot of light, it's most likely just algae suspended in the water. Not really much to be done about it besides reducing light and nutrient loads. Your fish should be fine though.

edit: I got a new buddy. That chain loach is in trouble now if he starts up more poo poo. I've got compunctions about killing a fish for being a bad tankmate, but no compunctions against obeying the food chain.

He's a great looking cat. I tried feeding a sunfish to my cat once, and he just batted at it for a few seconds. He does seem to hate plecos and loaches though, so maybe yours will follow suit if your loach gets out of hand again.

Soundboard
Nov 12, 2012

Has anyone ever kept South American puffers? I have three Indian Pea Puffers, and was wondering if they would get along with their South American kin.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I took out half of the water and did a partial treatment on some I set aside with Clear Water, added it to the tank, and let it sit overnight. No more yellow water. :iiam: The fish were pretty happy to be back home, I was worried that I would wake up to a pair of dead fish after leaving them in small bowls all night long. Glad that didn't happen, though!
I should probably not put off cleaning the tank for as long as I did but I think the majority of the problem was the clogged and filthy filter. Gonna watch that from now on.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Lost my dwarf flame gourami today. He's been looking stressed and swimming very close to the top of the tank for a few days. Nothing physical to indicate disease, fungus, or parasites that I can see. Everything else in my 55 is doing great, including my German blue rams. Water parameters are good. Poor little dude. :(

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Pretty sure my new light can be seen from space.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Finally got a photo of my Edge worth showing, more or less. Tetra Joe front and center, with Mr Bubbleface hiding somewhere in the weeds. They get along just fine so far. No nipping. If anything, when I get home it seems like the puffer is hiding from the tetra. Neither looks any worse for wear.

I think I want to add a few marimo next?

Any specific kind of shrimp that will do anything interesting (burrow)?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I find basic shrimp grazing behaviour pretty fascinating in itself. Filter feeder shrimp will have fanning motions but those require a specific setup to ensure they dont starve.

Now some bad news about your tank, tetras are a schooling species, doing better and being more lively in numbers of its own kind (or similar enough looking fish).

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I agree, shrimp are so fun to watch!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, so after a month, my drat impeller shaft snapped for my ehiem classic filter. So I spend about an hour trying to figure out where their technical support section is and finally find that it is just an emailer program, so I fill it out, and submit it. Unfortunately I also saw that they have a habit of not responding to the emails so I finally found their number after more searching. What do you know, I spend about half an hour on hold as "first in line" before being sent to an answering machine that is full. Their website is also full of dead links and their parts store doesn't even work properly.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement impeller for as cheap as possible since it appears that my 24 month warantee on the filter is completely useless? Either that or how to reliably contact them? Are they even still in business?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

jadebullet posted:

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement impeller for as cheap as possible since it appears that my 24 month warantee on the filter is completely useless? Either that or how to reliably contact them? Are they even still in business?

Amazon has a lot of eheim parts, mostly sold by Big Al's.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007
So it starts. I found two baby snails on the side of my 55 this morning. They must have come in with the five neon tetras I bought a couple of weeks ago. I didn't even dump the water into the tank!

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

SynthOrange posted:

I find basic shrimp grazing behaviour pretty fascinating in itself. Filter feeder shrimp will have fanning motions but those require a specific setup to ensure they dont starve.

Now some bad news about your tank, tetras are a schooling species, doing better and being more lively in numbers of its own kind (or similar enough looking fish).

I have thought about more tetras. would 3 be any better than one? with such a small (6 gal) tank I am afraid to overload but at the same time want some diversity...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So I've got an unused 55g downstairs, and I'm thinking of turning it into a kind of tacky, 80s style community tank. I'm talking neon gravel, fake plants, skulls, treasure chests, basically the kind of tank I loved when I was 9 years old and got my first setup. Looking for some suggestions on how to stock it, what would you do if you could go hog wild on a cheesed out 55?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Pirate ships, skulls, ooh the scuba guy with the air bubbler.. the possibilities are endless.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Pirate ships, skulls, ooh the scuba guy with the air bubbler.. the possibilities are endless.

Oh yeah, can't forget the scuba dude!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Goldmund posted:

And the treasure chest that opens to let out air bubbles.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Goldmund posted:

ooh and the bubble clam that opens and closes! man I wish I had a spare tank like that for a throwback aquarium.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Goldmund posted:

So I've got an unused 55g downstairs, and I'm thinking of turning it into a kind of tacky, 80s style community tank. I'm talking neon gravel, fake plants, skulls, treasure chests, basically the kind of tank I loved when I was 9 years old and got my first setup. Looking for some suggestions on how to stock it, what would you do if you could go hog wild on a cheesed out 55?

You say community, but 9 year old 80s kid with a skull in the tank? Piranhas.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, when I was a kid I remember finding a scuba guy variant that was the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I should try and track one of those down.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Slugworth posted:

You say community, but 9 year old 80s kid with a skull in the tank? Piranhas.

electric eels..

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
Bubbling treasure chest and a big pirate ship. Get some long skinny loaches so they'll worm in and out of the holes in the hull.

Or float a ship on top of the tank and run the air line for your bubbling diver off the ship. Treasure diving!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Lessee, quintessential 80's aquarium.

Only the crappiest multicolored gravel will do!

Diver AND treasure chest! :haw:

Creepy ornaments, the creepier and more oversized, the better... and something equally cutesy to balance it out

Throw a bunch of Greek Pillars around randomly, making sure you put one on top of the rusted-out battle tank, which is right next to the tower of random rocks/minerals/seashells/sea glass you used to be serious about collecting

Volcano Bubbler (also comes in Pyramids, Coliseum, etc)

Bubble wand that slowly gets filled with gunk and begins to bubble less and less until it eventually only bubbles feebly out of one end of the wand if it's tilted

Need at least one Buddha or a skull because, you know, :emo:

Whatever random crap you can find on Etsy (okay, that one's pretty cool)

Generic background that won't stay put no matter what you do to keep it on

Don't forget to buy lots of way too small plastic neon plants!

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I upgraded my 10 gallon to a 40 gallon. My 10 gallon previously housed 2 otos, 5 zebra danios, and a male betta (who is one of the most chill bettas ever).

Needless to say, the new tank looks super empty.

I'm considering putting in a couple more zebra danios and possibly another oto or two. I'd really like to get a rainbow or red tailed shark though. The new tank has plenty of caves/hiding spots. Any of you have any concerns about doing this?

If not a rainbow, what other ideas would you have for filling out this tank? I was thinking maybe a school of cherry barbs? They're also small though, I'd like something a bit bigger now that I have the space.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I think a red tailed shark would be a touch too big for a 40 gallon. I've seen full grown redtails and I don't think one of those would be happy in anything less than a 55.

I really like rainbows. Goyder River Rainbowfish look great. I also like the threadfin rainbows, and neon dwarf rainbows. Stick with rainbowfish that are 5" long or less.

Giant danios might be another good option.

A bristlenose pleco would be a great algae eater for the 40. The otos are pretty cool but I think you'd need an army to keep that tank clean.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Don't forget killifish. Many of them are perfect for a 40 gal. Seeing as you don't have any bottom dwellers, you could also go with a pair of dwarf cichlids or rams. If your not a fan of those, peacock gudgeons are colorful and calm as well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

demonR6 posted:

electric eels..

Stone fish you coward.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So my fiance have decided to start planning a 10 gallon themed tank based around a spooky/halloween theme. We are going with a black substrate, a bunch of creepy looking tree decorations and a few creepy caves.

So far fish wise we are looking at some blind cave tetras, a Viper shrimp, a few Moscow black velvet guppies, an upside down catfish or two, and some ghost glass catfish. We will of course be adjusting what fish we get as we get closer to actually making the tank. I was just wondering if you guys knew of any other 10 gallon friendly fish that look creepy or would fit the theme of a spooky tank?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

jadebullet posted:

So my fiance have decided to start planning a 10 gallon themed tank based around a spooky/halloween theme. We are going with a black substrate, a bunch of creepy looking tree decorations and a few creepy caves.

So far fish wise we are looking at some blind cave tetras, a Viper shrimp, a few Moscow black velvet guppies, an upside down catfish or two, and some ghost glass catfish. We will of course be adjusting what fish we get as we get closer to actually making the tank. I was just wondering if you guys knew of any other 10 gallon friendly fish that look creepy or would fit the theme of a spooky tank?

That sounds like a lot of stuff to pack into a 10 gallon. You're probably going to want to go 20 long and/or reduce the populations a bit.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Like I said, we are going to be narrowing it down when we put the tank together and we won't be putting all of those fish in. We were just writing down fish that look like they would fit the theme at this time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
UDS cats get too large for a 10, so I would count those out. Same with ghost glass cats.

Blind cave tetras are super nippy, so either them or the guppies.

Honestly I think a 10 gallon with 5 or 6 blind cave tetras would be fine. Throw in ghost shrimp once in a while for scavenging and treats for them.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chichevache posted:

Stone fish you coward.

I'll see you one stone fish and raise you a baby Kraken..

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Stone fish probably wouldn't kill you. Go Box Jelly or Cone snail or go home.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

demonR6 posted:

I'll see you one stone fish and raise you a baby Kraken..

I'd call your bluff, but I already released mine into the local waterways.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Do any of you have any experience with making sand falls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbqXyz4N7c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's a pretty neat waterfall, but I'm not seeing any sand here... OH WHAT :aaa:

Actually I'm thinking that it'll work sort of like a moving bed filter. Air bubblers pushing the sand up the tube where it falls down, just the tube's open at the top with a catch funnel at the bottom.