Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

palmkernel posted:

Hello my friends. I was hoping you could recommend some anime to me. I really don't like most anime at all but I did like Ghost in the shell, and Cowboy Bebop because they were sci-fi and had good music. Could you recommend me anything else like this? Thank you very much, in advance of course.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (TV not OVA), Mouretsu Pirates, maybe Outlaw Star.

I don't remember the music being particularly amazing in any of those, but I do remember enjoying a bit of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palmkernel
Dec 11, 2013

Lallander posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (TV not OVA), Mouretsu Pirates, maybe Outlaw Star.

I don't remember the music being particularly amazing in any of those, but I do remember enjoying a bit of it.

Thank you Lallander for your recommendations and your kindness, though you do have a pony avatar, for these things I like you.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

Hi, I'd just like to say that I have uploaded a hard to find fan sub (I had to download it from an obscure blog) of Sally the Witch to youtube. I love Sally the Witch and I want everyone to watch it, so here you go!

Nipponophile posted:

Thanks for posting this. It's a quaint little show.

TSHS is obscure? The guy that runs it just finished subbing all of Giant Gorg. Everything they sub is pretty much gold.

http://skarohuntingsociety.blogspot.com/search/label/Mahou%20Tsukai%20Sally

For more. He did the first six episodes then switched to the color ones.

Nanto also subs Sabu & Ichi if you want some more really good black and white anime.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Guyver posted:

TSHS is obscure? The guy that runs it just finished subbing all of Giant Gorg. Everything they sub is pretty much gold.

http://skarohuntingsociety.blogspot.com/search/label/Mahou%20Tsukai%20Sally

For more. He did the first six episodes then switched to the color ones.

Nanto also subs Sabu & Ichi if you want some more really good black and white anime.

There are 17 black and white episodes and it makes me sad that he didn't do the rest.

Edit: The black and white looks markedly better than the color. It's too garish and I think that anime would be better with more black and white anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

palmkernel posted:

Hello my friends. I was hoping you could recommend some anime to me. I really don't like most anime at all but I did like Ghost in the shell, and Cowboy Bebop because they were sci-fi and had good music. Could you recommend me anything else like this? Thank you very much, in advance of course.

There aren't too many sci-fi shows with the action chops of those two that don't go down some weird anime holes, but there are some fantastic thoughtful ones like Planetes, a hard sci-fi show about space garbagemen, and Time of Eve, an Asimov influenced show about domestic robots. Time of Eve especially has great music.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

palmkernel posted:

Thank you Lallander for your recommendations and your kindness, though you do have a pony avatar, for these things I like you.

Please watch The Big O. It has good music and is in the spirit of science fiction if not always the aesthetic.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I also recommend Cyber City Oedo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheEye posted:

Yes, I also mentioned this in my previous Twelve Kingdoms post(s), but there are currently two novels (second Taiki novel and Kyouki/Kyou-ou novel) and a book of (awesome) short stories that were never translated by TokyoPop but have been fan-translated by Eugene Woodbury. His translations are much more accurate and consistent than TokyoPop's editing nightmare, but are also very literal and a bit difficult to get used to.
I would have read these translations years ago if I had known they existed. I was pretty upset that Tokyopop only got as far as literally right where the anime ended, as I was dying to read at least the conclusion to Taiki's story. I think I'm about halfway through that book and it's more or less as good as I was hoping. So thanks.

Now I just wish someone would do the same for Banner of the Stars.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This is good advice for anyone.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Since my dickhead nephew decided to spoil Lain's ending and I'm trying to catch up with The Tatami Galaxy, I realized I have a bunch of downtime to read. Among the many MANY mangas my friend brought back from Japan, I've found one called The Five Star Stories. Besides the incredibly old school look the covers have, is there anything note-worthy about the series?

e: Fuckin' A! I love me some DUNE! :getin:

He also brought a lot of Novels. But I want to start slowly: Five Star Stories and probably Shiki (since I rather liked the anime). Additionally, what's the general goon consensus on the Boogiepop novels?

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 31, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Five Star Stories is actually pretty great, think Dune with giant robots.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Wark Say posted:

Since my dickhead nephew decided to spoil Lain's ending and I'm trying to catch up with The Tatami Galaxy, I realized I have a bunch of downtime to read. Among the many MANY mangas my friend brought back from Japan, I've found one called The Five Star Stories. Besides the incredibly old school look the covers have, is there anything note-worthy about the series?

e: Fuckin' A! I love me some DUNE! :getin:

He also brought a lot of Novels. But I want to start slowly: Five Star Stories and probably Shiki (since I rather liked the anime). Additionally, what's the general goon consensus on the Boogiepop novels?

The author of Five Star Stories is Mamoru Nagano, who, among other things, designed L-Gaim, the Hyaku Shiki from Zeta Gundam, and enjoys cosplaying as Sailor Moon. He is a strange man and puts a lot of passion into his work that is not always deserving of it. Please enjoy Five Star Stories.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm looking for the most 80s anime. Something with neon colors and ridiculous hair.

Same but for 90s.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Looking for something comedic, but with story to it (so not Nichijou). Fantasy settings, whether medieval fantasy or sci-fi are preffered to modern, although modern-fantasy is good.

Previous series I've enjoyed are things like:

Nichijou
Code Geass
Acchi Kocchi
TTGL
Servant x Service
Gatchaman

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Smoking Crow posted:

Same but for 90s.

I hate mentioning the same show on the same page but Cyber City Oedo.

As for 80's probably Dirty Pair or Space Adventure Cobra.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Space Adventure Cobra.

Son of a bitch, beat me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Conot posted:

Looking for something comedic, but with story to it (so not Nichijou). Fantasy settings, whether medieval fantasy or sci-fi are preffered to modern, although modern-fantasy is good.

Nichijou
Code Geass
Acchi Kocchi
TTGL
Servant x Service
Gatchaman

Time of Eve tends to be pretty silly. It's a sci-fi show about a cafe where you aren't allowed to discriminate between humans and robots. It's pretty short at 6 half-length episodes though.

If you haven't watched it, Silver Spoon has the comedy of Servant x Service, but with a great story attached.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Conot posted:

xxxHolic springs to mind. It's a modern-fantasy type deal with the main character being some kind of bad spirit magnet who finds his way to a little out of the way shop that grants wishes. It's a fun little show directed by Tsutomu Mizushima based on a Clamp manga.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Conot posted:

Trigun is hilarious up until about the halfway point when its tone takes a screeching right turn, but the characters and story are unique and interesting enough that the dampening of the comedy doesn't kill it. At least, that was my reaction.

vvv: Indeed, it's a very different show after episode... 12? But again, I cared about what was going on and who was involved enough by that point that the tonal shift, while still jarring, didn't harm the show for me.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 2, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

Trigun is hilarious up until about the halfway point when its tone takes a screeching right turn, but the characters and story are unique and interesting enough that the dampening of the comedy doesn't kill it. At least, that was my reaction.

There's still some comedy after the midpoint, but gets pretty overwhelmed by the darkened atmosphere. Its an amazing show, but keep that in mind.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Conot posted:

Nichijou
Code Geass
Acchi Kocchi
TTGL
Servant x Service
Gatchaman

Seconding Silver Spoon, also try The Devil is a Part-Timer.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Thanks for the recommendations, I haven't watched any of the suggestions except for The Devil is a Part-Timer, so much appreciated.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Conot posted:

There's a few older shows you might want to try. Slayers is pretty much the definitive fantasy comedy, and each season goes through a full plot arc on top of the slapstick comedy. Louie the Rune Soldier is about a standard adventuring party of fighter, mage, cleric, and thief who get up to fantasy adventures. While the big dumb guy who thinks with his fists is constantly getting in the way of the three women in the group, the twist is that the guy is the mage.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Conot posted:

Nichijou
Code Geass
Acchi Kocchi
TTGL
Servant x Service
Gatchaman

Try Full Metal Panic If you haven't yet. The second season doesn't have an overall story to it, but you should still really watch it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Conot posted:

Nichijou
Code Geass
Acchi Kocchi
TTGL
Servant x Service
Gatchaman

The Devil is a Part-Timer/Hataraku Mao-sama!

The most surprisingly funny thing to come out of last year. It has no right to be as good as it actually is.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 2, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Try Full Metal Panic If you haven't yet. The second season doesn't have an overall story to it, but you should still really watch it.

FMP was laughably terrible, but it did lead me to watch Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu which is basically the comedy parts of FMP turned into a full show and cranked it up to Nichijou levels of ridiculous.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

If you like Servant x Service why not watch the better Working!! from the same writer? No fantasy though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because the main character is downright cringeworthy and nearly made me stop watching the show with how creepy he is?

SxS has much more interesting characters than Working and while it's still comedy and gag humor, the characters are usually more than just their gimmick(Boss Bunny notwithstanding) whereas Working is made up of a bunch of one-notes. Mostly. They both have absolutely outstanding OPs though.

Gonna go ahead and recommend a manga here, Koe no Kotachi. I made a thread for it with more details, but suffice to say, it deals with some really uncomfortable topics for Japan to talk about, so much so that despite winning awards even though it was merely a one-shot(which you should skip and just read the actual series proper instead), it still took a lot of effort to get an actual series started up. But now that it has, it's gotten rave reviews and has become very popular. The subject matter can be pretty uncomfortable for some if you've had experience with it(disabilities in school, severe bullying, social ostracizing, depression) but it's definitely a pro-read.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, Working was gross and not even that funny.

The deaf manga looks pretty interesting. Might make an exception to my rule of not reading anything set in a school.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, Working was gross and not even that funny.

The deaf manga looks pretty interesting. Might make an exception to my rule of not reading anything set in a school.

You should also break this rule to read Qualia the Purple

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Conot posted:

How about Log Horizon and Spice & Wolf? Both have a fantasy setting and are fairly light watching (S&W moreso than Log Horizon), but they have an optimistic feel and quite a bit of strong storytelling. S&W also has the benefit of an excellent dub!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I try not to recommend S&W to anyone (even though it's excellent) because I still find the dangling plot hooks after S2 excruciating :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RabidWeasel posted:

I try not to recommend S&W to anyone (even though it's excellent) because I still find the dangling plot hooks after S2 excruciating :(
It's not exactly the same but Yen Press has gotten a fair bit beyond where S2 ends with the novels.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah. :smith: It wouldn't be the first anime to have a rather weak ending because they reached the end of the published material available to adapt at the moment. It's a big bummer that they never ended up making a few more seasons, such an awesome show.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

RabidWeasel posted:

I would also not really classify it as "comedic." It has some funny bits, but mostly it's just about watching a relationship grow. Did you like Maoyu but felt like everyone was a cardboard cutout with no reason to feel about or interact with any of the other characters the way they did? S&W is like that show but with actual characters. It's quite good, but it's not a comedic show.

vvv

I suppose that's true. He didn't say "a comedy" after all, and S&W is largely pretty light-hearted so it might satisfy his requirements. It's certainly worth watching either way, not least because it's different from standard fare.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 3, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Spice and Wolf has at least one laugh-out-loud moment an episode. It's not exclusively a comedy the way something like, I dunno, Nichijou or Astro Fighter Sunred is, but it's not going to disappoint someone looking for a comedy either.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What do you mean it's not comedic? There's plenty of moments while watching S&W where I just laughed out loud at some ironic twist, tricksy turn-of-phrase, or just Holo and Lawrence being brilliant and playing off each other. Yeah, it's not "Dude sees the girl changing, girl whacks him with hammer" comedy, but it's totally comedic in a bunch of places!

Anyway, yes, um, we're actually agreeing, since the dude specified lighthearted rather than specifically "a comedy".

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Spice and Wolf has funny moments, but what makes it awesome is the character interaction. I'd definitely recommend it, even though you'll be joining the rest of us in wishing for another season.

Nate RFB posted:

I would have read these translations years ago if I had known they existed. I was pretty upset that Tokyopop only got as far as literally right where the anime ended, as I was dying to read at least the conclusion to Taiki's story. I think I'm about halfway through that book and it's more or less as good as I was hoping. So thanks.

Now I just wish someone would do the same for Banner of the Stars.

Hate to disappoint you, but there's no conclusion to be had here. His arc is 3 books long, and the third may never be written. :(

Do check out the short stories though, they're great.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm seven episodes into Tactics, and I'm really hoping that it doesn't fall flat. There seems to be this weird "slavery is actually ok sometimes" subtext, and the main character seems to treat the other characters TERRIBLY, and gets no come-uppance for it, or really feel backlash. I'm wondering if down the line, he learns that the way he is treating others is not ok.

Also, is he gay for that one guy? Because it seems really obvious and every episode seems laden with this weird, "I want to say I love you tall man with dark hair" subtext.

Could someone recommend if I should keep watching or not? I'm kind of watching now just to take the piss from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheEye posted:

Hate to disappoint you, but there's no conclusion to be had here. His arc is 3 books long, and the third may never be written. :(

Do check out the short stories though, they're great.
That is disappointing, but at the very least this book has had a pretty good look into the court of Kei post-anime and that's probably what I wanted most of all.

E: Just finished it and gently caress. Would love to know where it goes afterwards.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 3, 2014

• Locked thread