Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powercrazy posted:

I must not understand the geography or something, but Vancouver is like 250 miles away from Portland by car and there is a whole state between Canada and Oregon, certainly farther than "a bridge." Are you sure you aren't talking about Seattle or something?

There's a Vancouver Washington and it's right across the Columbia River from Portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Powercrazy posted:

I must not understand the geography or something, but Vancouver is like 250 miles away from Portland by car and there is a whole state between Canada and Oregon, certainly farther than "a bridge." Are you sure you aren't talking about Seattle or something?

Vancouver is also a city on the southern border of Warshington state on the I5 corridor.

Edit: ^^^^ computer parts is a pirate hooker

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Brave New World posted:

In Colorado or Washington?

Colorado

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

Check out Google Maps, you filthy foreigner. Although I personally think of the BC Vancouver as the "real" Vancouver, even though it's a few decades younger. It's the bigger, more prominent of the two.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brave New World posted:

Check out Google Maps, you filthy foreigner. Although I personally think of the BC Vancouver as the "real" Vancouver, even though it's a few decades younger. It's the bigger, more prominent of the two.

Just like Portland.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
So Washington has like no licensed cannabis distributors? It's pretty infuriating how Clark County's commissioners consider it to have the most protections of any industry yet it still can't be legally sold anywhere in their county.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

800peepee51doodoo posted:

If anything its a perfect reason to embrace legalization wholeheartedly. Vancouver is literally a bridge away from Portland and Oregon has no sales tax. Small businesses in Vancouver had to get a special waiver to not charge sales tax to Oregon residents just to get people to shop or eat there. Vancouver locals all shop in Portland because why wouldn't they? Legal weed five minutes from Portland loving Oregon would be the biggest boon to local business in Vancouver I could think of, short of like, idk free mustache waxings or something. If I were a Clark county commissioner, I'd be proposing a huge sign on the I5 bridge saying "Welcome to Washington, Enjoy Legal Weed!" and pushing through a Max line connnection.

You would think it's obvious but there are a lot of people in Clark county that aren't very forward thinking. The people who oppose legal weed likely overlap with the group that oppose a new I5 bridge, and especially Max (lightrail) service extending into Vancouver. This is despite the high probability of an earthquake that will put the current bridge into the river and an underdeveloped downtown. Ideology seems to be more important than economic development for many.

Even if they had actually broken ground on the I5 bridge on time with the old plan it still would have been 2018 before max service (maybe later, I don't remember the dates for sure but it was at least that long). Oregon will have legalized long before MAX service into Vancouver started.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

I've been rocking 10mg/pc. candies which are awesome. Costs me $14.00 out the door at the local shop for a bottle of ten. Nobody seems to care much because "Go Broncos!"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

19 o'clock posted:

"Go Broncos!"

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm excited about florida having medical marijuana on the ballot, but have a few reservations about it. First, this HAS been tried before, i want to say when obama first got elected and it wasnt close to passing. Everyone i speak to about it feels like "something is different now", but i'm expecting the worst, am i missing something that says its expected to pass?

Secondly, i worry the massive local pill mill market supplying prescription drug abuse has built up a well-oiled defense mechanism in the law enforcement and legal community that could result in a very strict, very narrow interpretation of the law if it is passed. Of course my dream is the "I have Anxiety/Back Pain/Insomnia, heres your 50 bucks doctor!" de facto legalization, ala california. Is this pushback likely to happen like i imagine where it wouldnt in the west?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Small businesses in Vancouver had to get a special waiver to not charge sales tax to Oregon residents just to get people to shop or eat there

What do you mean a special waiver? It's state law across all of Washington. I'm an Oregon resident, and I've shopped in Walla Walla, Tricities, and Seattle without sales tax just fine, you just show your Oregon state ID at the register.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm excited about florida having medical marijuana on the ballot, but have a few reservations about it. First, this HAS been tried before, i want to say when obama first got elected and it wasnt close to passing. Everyone i speak to about it feels like "something is different now", but i'm expecting the worst, am i missing something that says its expected to pass?

Secondly, i worry the massive local pill mill market supplying prescription drug abuse has built up a well-oiled defense mechanism in the law enforcement and legal community that could result in a very strict, very narrow interpretation of the law if it is passed. Of course my dream is the "I have Anxiety/Back Pain/Insomnia, heres your 50 bucks doctor!" de facto legalization, ala california. Is this pushback likely to happen like i imagine where it wouldnt in the west?

John Morgan, one of the founders of Morgan and Morgan, has dumped millions into this. It's polling positively, and the feds have came down on some of the pill mills around here. There really are a number of things that are different in FL and it seems likely to pass.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

There was a petition drive to get it on the ballot in 2010 but it only got 3k signatures by the deadline. I'd imagine John Morgan (for the people) dropping million on it such that petition gatherers got a few dollars per signature collected helped the drive, but the other key this year is really that they started the drive much earlier. I believe the ballot measure wording is the same as they had proposed in 2010.

Every article is citing this Quinnipiac University poll and using the 82% number. It's going to be close, we need 60% approval and across-the-board approval does look to be above that but it all depends on who goes out and votes. If the wrong half comes out to vote it'll be defeated pretty handily and while getting it on the ballot was a huge step forward, that doesn't help the people who need marijuana to deal with their illness.

Side note, it is interesting that Crist is running for governor again, but this time as a democrat (previously governed as a republican, then was independent). This is after working for Morgan's law firm in the interim. I read some piece that tried to say Morgan poured so much into getting it onto the ballot so it would drive out democrats to vote, thus securing Crist's election. This ignores the Morgan family's history of relatives suffering from illnesses treatable with marijuana. Also that Rick Scott is a vile person.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Idran posted:

What do you mean a special waiver? It's state law across all of Washington. I'm an Oregon resident, and I've shopped in Walla Walla, Tricities, and Seattle without sales tax just fine, you just show your Oregon state ID at the register.

:aaa:

I did not know that. I've never had anyone in Washington ever mention it outside of shops in Vancouver.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Oregon residents are still required to pay sales tax in WA for items that will be consumed in the state of WA, although many retailers are pretty lax about it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

...and the feds have came down on some of the pill mills around here.

Yeah, I would imagine those doctors would jump at the chance to essentially keep doing what they're doing.

Even without the pill mill crackdown, surely there'd be plenty of money to be made writing weed recommendations for people who know better than to abuse prescription narcotics.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
All this talk about "Kush" and "dro" got me thinking about the uniformity of strains and qualities across different geographic areas. If a store in WA and a store in CO both have a "Big Bubba Kush" strain, will those bags be similar quality/taste or will it really depend on how and where its grown? Is that the kind of thing that requires a national chain or something to bring uniformity to the market? Also, I'm always seeing funky new names for stuff. Does WA get certain strains that CO doesn't get? Here in WA there's a strain that's always around called "UW Medical" (for University of Washington), I presume CO doesn't get that so I'm curious about those choices too.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 3, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The juxtaposition of medicinal intent and "BIG BUBBA KUSH" still gives me a giggle. I understand that's the strain and there's really not a better alternative, but it's funny as gently caress to think there's a doctor in somewhere like California scrawling a prescription for 0.5GM PO BIG BUBBA KUSH QAM for a glaucoma patient.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
To be honest I think it's a lot less silly than the idiotic brand naming conventions for pharmaceuticals.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

D1Sergo posted:

All this talk about "Kush" and "dro" got me thinking about the uniformity of strains and qualities across different geographic areas. If a store in WA and a store in CO both have a "Big Bubba Kush" strain, will those bags be similar quality/taste or will it really depend on how and where its grown? Is that the kind of thing that requires a national chain or something to bring uniformity to the market? Also, I'm always seeing funky new names for stuff. Does WA get certain strains that CO doesn't get? Here in WA there's a strain that's always around called "UW Medical" (for University of Washington), I presume CO doesn't get that so I'm curious about those choices too.
There are seed banks that can guarantee the purity of certain genetics and this is where most of the strains originate from. It is really the quality of the grow and knowledge of the grower that relates to the overall quality of the bud, and the strain will determine the finer characteristics.

Right at the beginning of MMJ in CO, one of the most popular strains was Sour Diesel which is a 100% sativa. For a few years the best Sour D in the country and probably the world was grown in a warehouse in Boulder and it demanded a premium. That warehouse was lost in a fire, presumed vandalism/sabotage, and it took a year or so before that same quality of Sour D returned.

After several years of MMJ, each dispensary started to diversify and specialize in certain strains and most have a "house strain" that they boast as their flagship bud. The house strains are usually hybrids of popular strains, one of the local shops has a Giesel strain which is Sour Diesel crossed with an indica.

If you diversify enough you can get a lot of different weed that each have pretty unique feelings to them, and each person reacts slightly differently too so the combinations are endless.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
A lot of it will depend upon how it's grown, even within the same strain. Seeds will vary more than clones/cuttings. Each strain will have it's own ideal growing conditions, so growers looking to create the best weed possible will have nearly identical plants of a strain because they're all being grown with the ideal pH, nutrient levels, temperature, etc. If it's just a "threw some seeds out in a pasture at the right time of year" type of grow, it's doubtful that you could tell one strain from another unless one of the strains has a noticeably unique taste, smell, or high.

EDIT: Beaten, and by a better explanation. And that Giesel sounds amazing, the one time I found some authentic-seeming Sour Diesel in my area it was so skunky that you could smell it from several feet away through a vacuum sealed bag.

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 3, 2014

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

The Entire Universe posted:

The juxtaposition of medicinal intent and "BIG BUBBA KUSH" still gives me a giggle. I understand that's the strain and there's really not a better alternative, but it's funny as gently caress to think there's a doctor in somewhere like California scrawling a prescription for 0.5GM PO BIG BUBBA KUSH QAM for a glaucoma patient.

"Well, Mrs. Jones...After going over these charts, I feel that we should put you on a strict regimen of Alaskan Thunderfuck. 2 grams daily, plus plenty of pizza. We'll schedule you in for early next month to see how you're doing. Any questions?"

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

To be honest I think it's a lot less silly than the idiotic brand naming conventions for pharmaceuticals.

I'll still never forget the time I was at a pharmacy waiting on a script, and looked up to notice that they had the balls to actually name a drug Soma- just like in the book by Aldous Huxley that happens to be my username. In the book, Soma is used to keep the oppressed populace happy and stupid.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Brave New World posted:

I'll still never forget the time I was at a pharmacy waiting on a script, and looked up to notice that they had the balls to actually name a drug Soma- just like in the book by Aldous Huxley that happens to be my username. In the book, Soma is used to keep the oppressed populace happy and stupid.

Soma's a little bit more then that and there's a way bigger non-terrible etymology they were probably going for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma

Granted, naming your drug after an Indian ritual energy drink/psychoactive takes some balls too, just balls in an entirely different, cultural appropriation-y direction.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The DC City Council passed a weaker decriminalization bill after the Mayor and Chief of Police got antsy about people smoking in public. Pretty anemic, considering how hard they buried the bill to legalize.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The DC City Council passed a weaker decriminalization bill after the Mayor and Chief of Police got antsy about people smoking in public. Pretty anemic, considering how hard they buried the bill to legalize.

I genuinely love when people use the excuse of "I don't want to have to explain it to my kids when they see someone smoking POT!" Really? You don't want to have to do your job as a parent? Because that's kinda what being a parent is all about, explaining how the world works to your loving spawn.

I mean, how hard is it? "You see, little Timmy, some adults like to drink a beer to relax, and some adults like to smoke some cannabis. There are drawbacks to both, but used in moderation by adults these substances are the spice of life. When you are an adult, you will be free to choose when and if you use these substances, but until then you should stay away because they can affect your brain development."

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I have just watched the most amazing thing, even better than seeing the DEA administrator destroyed by Rep. Jared Polis.

The ONDCP gets absolutely grilled on c-span:

http://www.c-span.org/video/?317590-1/317590-1

Watching the war on cannabis collapse like this is sensational!

They'll be getting the FDA and DEA too!

Edit: !!!

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 5, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

KingEup posted:

I have just watched the most amazing thing, even better than seeing the DEA administrator destroyed by Rep. Jared Polis.

What time should I start it, it is 2 hours long :/

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

goodness posted:

There are some good moments starting at 1:28:00. The ONDCP rep won't admit that marijuana isn't as bad as meth.

private message fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 5, 2014

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
It's pretty neat to see our reps say the poo poo we have been saying for years.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

goodness posted:

This is one of those situations where you really need to watch the whole thing.

I was jumping around my room fist pumping for nearly the whole time.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 5, 2014

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Yeah, the opening statements of the committee members get better and better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

superjew posted:

Yeah, the opening statements of the committee members get better and better.

Its pretty badass.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its pretty badass.

I thought it was wild to expect folks to just watch the whole thing, but I started from the beginning and I can say this is pretty good so far, 35 minutes in.

I'd be down to hang out with Rep. Davis from Illinois at any time and place, and whoever that is behind him can come, too.

My dude from Oregon in the bowtie is getting it in really nicely as well, and I think I caught Steve Cohen there too, so I'm liking where this is going.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

KingEup posted:

Holy poo poo. :staredog:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

KingEup posted:

I clicked on this thinking that it probably wouldn't be that big, but holy poo poo, seeing multiple congressmen rip prohibition a new rear end in a top hat makes me wonder where and when the major national political and cultural shift occurred. Just blowing my mind.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

double negative posted:

I thought it was wild to expect folks to just watch the whole thing, but I started from the beginning and I can say this is pretty good so far, 35 minutes in.

I'd be down to hang out with Rep. Davis from Illinois at any time and place, and whoever that is behind him can come, too.

My dude from Oregon in the bowtie is getting it in really nicely as well, and I think I caught Steve Cohen there too, so I'm liking where this is going.

Write them, tweet them, show your support. WE CAN END THIS if they know we're behind them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I didn't expect to watch the whole thing and here I am 7 minutes. They are really ripping into this guy, and I'm sad the DOJ wouldn't come to this hearing.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

These opening statements are kind of baffling in their cognitive dissonance.

"First off, let me say that I'm totally, no-question against legalization of marijuana. However, here's a long list of reasons why keeping it illegal is bullshit."

It's still refreshing to hear elected officials saying this stuff though. I haven't seen the other one with Polis so I'll watch it next, he may be my future congressman.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The aides sitting behind the congresscritters are the best. You just know they smoke any time they get the chance and you can see it in their reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Mr. Nice! posted:

I didn't expect to watch the whole thing and here I am 7 minutes. They are really ripping into this guy, and I'm sad the DOJ wouldn't come to this hearing.

I imagine there's good reason they sent in the deputy director and no one else elected to go first.

• Locked thread