Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ninjewtsu posted:

How good is the dub? SEED sounds pretty boring terrible to me, so I've never really had too much interest in watching it, but if the dub is bad too that might just push it just enough into hilaribad territory for me to want to check it out. Hell if the dub is good it could still turn out kind of entertaining.

SEED dub has Rau le Creuset. So it is a Good Dub.

Also you don't have to listen to Japanese Kira strangling a horse to death trying and failing to make a convincing crying sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Also you don't have to listen to Japanese Kira strangling a horse to death trying and failing to make a convincing crying sound.

I think you just sold me on the Japanese version

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
SEED had a pretty good dub. SEED Destiny actually had a very good dub, IMO the highest quality dub of any Gundam series (unicorn would have this title if banagher wasn't so awful). Pretty much the best way to watch Destiny is the dubs of the 4 special edition movies. It's still better than Wing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Popehoist posted:

It's still better than Wing.

To be fair, Wing had a healthy amount of swank, arguably in inverse proportion to the show's actual quality.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I think you just sold me on the Japanese version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWjfbUfcJUM

That's all you really need to hear, I think.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

Also which Gundam series has the best music? Music is an invaluable part of my anime experience. It's certainly the thing I remember lovig most about G Gundam.

Turn A is the best series and has the best soundtrack in general. For an added bonus, Yoko Kanno worked on it. No dub though. Zeta also has some good music too, especially towards the end.

Also, you should watch 0080: War in the Pocket either if you get burnt out on the main series or some time after you finish. It's a 6 episode spin-off series that actually works with the original themes and does something unique with it. You follow the perspective of a child who thinks war is a game as the conflict finally reaches the space colony where he lives. He develops a relationship with members from both sides and finds himself caught in the middle of the climax during the final days of the One Year War. I don't think anyone has any reservations against this one. The story and themes are much more straight-forward if you find the Newtype stuff to be too obscure. As an added bonus the 0079 mobile suits get new, streamlined designs and the battles have good choreography and animation in spite of it not being the focus. Also, David Hayter voices one of the protagonists if you're into that :v:.

Please don't watch Gundam Wing. It's boring and dumb. The flamboyant terrorist protagonists have no depth and never learn anything and the Char of the series goes through three shows of character development (14 years worth) in just the one. For reference, I rewatched it 3 or 4 years ago, but if I missed something amazing it was hidden in a haze of poor animation. SEED is legitimately better than it aside from maybe the music department. Unicorn, 0080, and 08th MS Team, and 00S1 are probably the only other ones worth checking out (as far as dub options go). 0083 has some cool fights though.

MEAT! posted:

I honestly don't know why people put UC on such a pedestal, it's all the same poo poo. People treat Zeta like a masterpiece but it's boring, the dialogue is terrible, the characters are unlikable, and the villains are idiots. I've never seen ZZ but UC purists cast it aside because it's not serious enough for their serious man's giant robot anime universe. Victory is a goddamn mess. Turn-A has the same issues as Zeta and its final battle is the biggest drat let down.

You could argue that Loran loses some personality by being so loyal to Diana, but everyone else aside from Poe and Phil are likeable. Of course the militia is going to act irrationally. They're inherently belligerent and are rapidly losing their cities and land to this unstoppable alien-like force. They just want to do some damage back to the other side even if it only amounts to terrorism. Phil and Poe's excessive force could be attributed to the inconsistency in the militia's tech and trying to create their own faction. Even Harry considers the possibility that the militia might be developing mobile suits even for just a brief moment. Gym is less justified, but he was looking at history like it was a badass anime and fast forwarded to all the cool fights. It's cool though, cause he's Gym.

And what's wrong with Turn A's final battle? It's a really good reenactment of Amuro and Char's final battle in MSG, and sends an obvious message that Gundam's doomed to repeat the same thing over and over again. I mean, SEED came right after it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWjfbUfcJUM

That's all you really need to hear, I think.

And there is nothing else like that?

Because that, that right there, is absolutely incredible. I want more of it.

Gundam in general has really good music, but I'd say that's probably the best battle theme I've ever heard.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Kira's cry is my favorite battle theme.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm still upset that we almost for an official release for Turn A, but Bandai had to get pissy abs take their toys home.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
For real though if you didn't like Turn A's final battle/anything about that show you probably have worse taste than the people honestly recommending SEED.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

And there is nothing else like that?

Because that, that right there, is absolutely incredible. I want more of it.

Happens a few other times but iirc that's the most ridiculous example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raku posted:

For real though if you didn't like Turn A's final battle/anything about that show you probably have worse taste than the people honestly recommending SEED.

Turn-A's final battle is one of the lower points of the series though? Both from a thematic point and choreography point. That's the part of the story where basically everyone else is doing something more interesting than Loran.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I like it and all, but the final battle is pretty much "Turn X blows up everything the Turn A has, they hug, pilots philosophize, mutual kill".

The MSG reference was nice though, and hilarious.

EDIT: Also the rocket punch to the dick, more Gundam final battles need that.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 2, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There's a lot of bad opinions in here. Yeah, you COULD watch seed instead of original MSG, but seed is followed by seed Destiny, and original MSG is followed by Zeta and ZZ. Both of which are insanely better than Destiny. Like, maybe the first bit of Destiny is better than the first bit of ZZ, but the second half is like night and day.

Turn A loses a lot of importance and impact if you haven't seen a few gundam shows. Watching most of the UC stuff, with the same loving problems repeating because of shenanigans, made me appreciate an otherwise anti-climactic final fight between Loran and Gym. I kinda hope that was the whole point of things.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
It was very climactic though? Just fast, intense, like a fight should be.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: V I actually wanted to mention the Zero System in response to that but I wasn't sure if that was bullshit space magic or just bullshit magic.

Bullshit space science, more likely. It's basically a massively advanced combat simulator that feeds information directly into the pilot's brain. It calculates every possible action that can be taken by everything around it, and people just aren't made to handle that much stuff flooding their mind, so they tend to go crazy, like Quattre. Weren't Heero and Zechs the only people that didn't go insane when they used a Zero System?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

How good is the dub? SEED sounds pretty boring terrible to me, so I've never really had too much interest in watching it, but if the dub is bad too that might just push it just enough into hilaribad territory for me to want to check it out. Hell if the dub is good it could still turn out kind of entertaining.

If you can get over the fact that SEED's dub had Kira voiced by the guy who did Edd on Ed, Edd and Eddy, it's pretty good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The internet is such a wonderful place. One forum says SEED is the worst and Wing is at least better than that, you guys say the opposite, and I get the impression that Zeta is either gonna be AMAZING to me or I'll hate it. I think it has to do with the main character. Some people I've read cannot stand him at all.

Then again, I didn't hate Shinji Ikari so I'm not expecting to dislike this guy. I only hate generic idiot heroes in the style of Naruto and I don't expect to encounter them in a Gundam series.

But I intend to watch all dubbed Gundam series, starting with the MSG anime later today. I'll go through UC and then onto Wing and then SEED and then I guess 00 is next? Then finally Build Fighters. This probably will take a while but I've been looking for an anime to sink my teeth into.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

If you can get over the fact that SEED's dub had Kira voiced by the guy who did Edd on Ed, Edd and Eddy, it's pretty good.

He really doesn't sound like him though. I've seen clips of the SEED video game on YT and I recognized him at once as a voice from Inuyasha, not Ed, Edd and Eddy.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 2, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Build Fighters doesn't have dub (yet) but I guess by the time you've made it trough all those it might do. :v:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

The internet is such a wonderful place. One forum says SEED is the worst and Wing is at least better than that, you guys say the opposite, and I get the impression that Zeta is either gonna be AMAZING to me or I'll hate it. I think it has to do with the main character. Some people I've read cannot stand him at all.

Then again, I didn't hate Shinji Ikari so I'm not expecting to dislike this guy. I only hate generic idiot heroes in the style of Naruto or Luffy and I don't expect to encounter them in a Gundam series.

But I intend to watch all dubbed Gundam series, starting with the MSG anime later today. I'll go through UC and then onto Wing and then SEED and then I guess 00 is next? Then finally Build Fighters. This probably will take a while but I've been looking for an anime to sink my teeth into.

He really doesn't sound like him though. I've seen clips of the SEED video game on YT and I recognized him at once as a voice from Inuyasha, not Ed, Edd and Eddy.

It was just more of a jarring thing than anything else. Athrun's VA was in it as well and you can here it there too. Just as a side note, while season 2 of 00 wasn't as good, I did actually enjoy the entire thing all things considered.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Bullshit space science, more likely. It's basically a massively advanced combat simulator that feeds information directly into the pilot's brain.

But Heero talks to it and everything.

Raku posted:

It was very climactic though? Just fast, intense, like a fight should be.

It was a very one-sided battle that didn't showcase any of the Turn A's strengths or Loran's abilities as a pilot. The argument between Gym and Loran was given much more focus (as it should have), but honestly it was kind of hurt by the weak battle since Loran's rebuttals lose a lot of impact when he's flailing around the battlefield just trying to survive while Gym's screaming like crazy and pushing the Turn A into a corner.

"YOU CAN'T BEAT ME" > "YES I WILL" was Loran's sole impressive scene, and it was just kind of weird choreography-wise. The Turns circle each other, Turn X somehow loses track of Turn A, Turn A zooms over and the two stab each other.

Shinjobi posted:

There's a lot of bad opinions in here. Yeah, you COULD watch seed instead of original MSG, but seed is followed by seed Destiny, and original MSG is followed by Zeta and ZZ. Both of which are insanely better than Destiny. Like, maybe the first bit of Destiny is better than the first bit of ZZ, but the second half is like night and day.

The issue is that MSG's art style is super dated. And you could just not watch Destiny, that honestly makes SEED a lot better. :v:

Once Origin comes out there'll be a much better entry point at least.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shinjobi posted:

Turn A loses a lot of importance and impact if you haven't seen a few gundam shows. Watching most of the UC stuff, with the same loving problems repeating because of shenanigans, made me appreciate an otherwise anti-climactic final fight between Loran and Gym. I kinda hope that was the whole point of things.

The point of recommending SEED isn't to invest the person in the Cosmic Era, it's to introduce them to the core concepts of Gundam without telling them to watch 40 year old animation right off the bat. If a person totally new to Gundam(or coming off some Toonami Wing or G) absolutely cannot stand anything about SEED period, they're really unlikely to have the patience to sit through a show that looks really bad. If they do like SEED on some level, you go SEED -> MSG Movies -> The Rest of the Stuff, you don't continue into SEED Destiny.

NikkolasKing posted:

Then again, I didn't hate Shinji Ikari so I'm not expecting to dislike this guy. I only hate generic idiot heroes in the style of Naruto or Luffy and I don't expect to encounter them in a Gundam series.

SEED is very divisive because it started off as a pretty decent remake of the original Gundam for the modern era and ended up doing absolutely nothing interesting with the new stuff it introduced. It has some serious sameface going on because the character designer is a hack and the main character's arc in SEED charts a course from "cries a lot and is incredibly put-upon" to "emotionless perfect robot". The sequel series, SEED Destiny, was commonly regarded as bearing the crown of worst Gundam animated series of all time until AGE came out and retroactively makes a lot of the good things SEED did worse by association. I personally believe a huge amount of the non-hipster SEED hate is because of how loving abominably bad Destiny was. The debate on SEED for most western Gundam fans is an argument between "It's not so bad for what it is" and "Torpedo it into a crater". That said, it's the most successful Gundam series in the last 30 years(and possibly all time) in Japan.

Basically, SEED is almost exactly the Final Fantasy 7 of Gundam.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 2, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kanos posted:

The debate on SEED for most western Gundam fans is an argument between "It's not so bad for what it is" and "Torpedo it into a crater". That said, it's the most successful Gundam series in the last 30 years(and possibly all time) in Japan.

Basically, SEED is almost exactly the Final Fantasy 7 of Gundam.

I'm pretty sure UC stuff beats SEED stuff pretty handily in popularity.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah i'm well-aware of the fascinating differences between Western and Eastern fans of anime and Gundam in particular. I remember years back seeing stuff from Newtype Magazine I believe it was that had Kira and Amuro as the most popular anime characters ever. The male ones anyway, Plus I just found this poll.

Sucks about Build Fighters not having a dub yet though. Wonder if there are at least plans for it.

Am I missing any importnat Plot in UC by not being able to see ZZ Gundam or whatever?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Build Fighters is never having a dub. Gunpla is dead in the west, and Bandai doesn't even want to try and revive it.

Also you should totally just jump into Build Fighters, all you lose from not watching previous Gundams is not recognizing any of the cameos. One of the main characters explicitly doesn't know poo poo about Gundam and he's totally fine with everything, and the characters who are Gundam obsessed will helpfully explain everything you'd need to know. Also it's currently airing so you can join us in our weekly wait for the next episode. :f5:

Build Fighters isn't any way indicative of an actual Gundam show too, so there's really no reason to put it at the end like Turn A. You can even use it as a jumping off point to shows you want to watch, if you see a super cool mech design then go check out its show!

EDIT: If you don't watch ZZ you are not going to understand one of the major characters in Unicorn. That's about it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Any excuse to link more Wing music (best mobile suit also pictured):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qie69s6dJ8

Wing owns, gently caress the haters. Also if I remember right all the bullshit in Wing was of the science-y kind rather than space magic, and I think the reason the gundam pilots were generally superior aside from the gundams just having a higher technological level wasn't genetic engineering but just good old fashioned bullshit drugs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Build Fighters is never having a dub. Gunpla is dead in the west, and Bandai doesn't even want to try and revive it.

Also you should totally just jump into Build Fighters, all you lose from not watching previous Gundams is not recognizing any of the cameos. One of the main characters explicitly doesn't know poo poo about Gundam and he's totally fine with everything, and the characters who are Gundam obsessed will helpfully explain everything you'd need to know. Also it's currently airing so you can join us in our weekly wait for the next episode. :f5:

Build Fighters isn't any way indicative of an actual Gundam show too, so there's really no reason to put it at the end like Turn A. You can even use it as a jumping off point to shows you want to watch, if you see a super cool mech design then go check out its show!

EDIT: If you don't watch ZZ you are not going to understand one of the major characters in Unicorn. That's about it.

I can't watch stuff subbed. I'm legally blind and there's no way I can follow an action series worth of dialog while constantly pausing to read stuff.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
A friend of mine is just starting to watch the original MSG series and the 08th MS Team and he thinks it's awesome (admittedly he doesn't mind retro animation.)

In my opinion, Gundam SEED is a lot harder on the eyes than the original MSG, crappy 70s animation and all. I just can't stand Hirai realdoll faces and I think the mecha designs are overly busy.

The best shows are MSG, Zeta, Turn A, 0080: War in the Pocket and G Gundam. SEED and Wing suck. Don't listen to people with lovely taste.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The best shows are MSG, Zeta, Turn A, 0080: War in the Pocket and G Gundam. SEED and Wing suck. Don't listen to people with lovely taste.

I feel you're being a little harsh on those of us who still appreciate aspects of Wing and SEED. While I agree that both series had their fill of eye-rolling moments (SEED in particular with its never-ending flashbacks), they did get me interested enough to watch the older series once I had access to other streams of media beyond Toonami/Adult Swim.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Coming into a discussion about which Gundam shows a newcomer should watch, rolling your eyes and rattling off a list of generally renowned shows (are you seriously recommending somebody start with Zeta or that the legally blind guy watch a show without a dub), and proclaiming that everyone who disagrees with you has lovely taste really doesn't help the "UC fans are intolerable" thing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Telling people to not waste their time on a bad series isn't being insufferable, it's being helpful.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
I have collectively seen Wing three times over and have no clue what was even the point of the show or how secret princess Releena was exercising pacifism by sending out mobile suits to fight. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to say it's all just really dumb fun or that it's great for a dose of nostalgia, but it's... just not. You could just watch all the Toonami promos for it and have a better experience. SEED's manageable if you skip all of the clipshows. I actually remember some poo poo that happened in SEED.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I think it's some sort of a weird japan thing in games and anime. Lets talk about pacifism all the loving time while we're fighting each other. LETS FIGHTING LOOOOVE.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 2, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Which is why G Gundam is the best: Fighting is awesome and is a great way to communicate!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Wing's plot pretty much stops moving like ten episodes in or so, and then everyone kind of fucks around for the next 38 episodes tossing the Wing Zero around like a hot potato. I seem to recall things actually happening again near the end, but I dunno. It's really not a very good show, but most of my friends grew up watching it so they love it. v:shobon:v

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy

Oh Snapple! posted:

Which is why G Gundam is the best: Fighting is awesome and is a great way to communicate!

Until it's time to be an adult, and then you resolve the final conflict with words.

But then you unlock the final ultimate super move anyway, so it's a wash. I loving love G Gundam.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Iserlohn posted:

Until it's time to be an adult, and then you resolve the final conflict with words.

But then you unlock the final ultimate super move with the power of love.

Missing a rather crucial bit there.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Artum posted:

Missing a rather crucial bit there.

The ultimate super move is literally a King of Hearts?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
SEED's animation is markedly worse than Mobile Suit Gundam's. Like not just from form/composition/bad designs, it looks cheap as hell. It's like Deviantart the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's what happens when you blow your budget on pop songs. :v:

• Locked thread