Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Edison was a dick posted:

I'm nearly there for the conversion, 1 more lifetime and it'll be the right time for Anglo-Saxon -> English conversion.

I started out as a Yngling rather than Nantes though, and expanded my way out, being careful to cultivate the Norman culture.
Keeping my vassals happy is going to be a bitch, since Norse -> Norman is a culture group change, so all my Scandinavian vassals hated me.

This is going to be a problem later, since after English happens, I'll be converting Norman -> English, which will be yet another culture group shift, so even converting all the existing vassals to Norman wouldn't be enough.

Add to that I've been on Gavelkind for 200 years, inheritance is pretty stressful; I had to create a bunch of kingdoms just to keep eveyone happy for 1 generation.

Alright, it's good to hear that it's not a complete pipedream.

However, I think I just came up with the perfect workaround to this, because playing a Norse kingdom in Bretagne surrounded by Catholics is a bit too stressful for me: apparently the only requirements for the culture flip are that the title holder is Norse and the populace is either Breton, Frankish or Occitan. Cornwall is Breton in most start dates.

So, yeah, you can have the Norse to Norman French culture flip event without having to touch French soil. It'll also make the imminent Norman Invasion of England much easier, because you'll already be there in the British Isles. Well, time to try this again, probably as Ivar the Boneless this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Man, I hate ironman.

I spend weeks on an ironman game where I painstakingly rebuild the Roman empire from the Alexiad start. I come within a few duchies...then my ruler dies, giving way to my 14 year old genius daughter. Her regent? A canny super high cunning spymaster who's served about four generations of emperors. Cue an independence rebellion by every second string kingdom in the empire.

I could take them easily, but then the game gives the duchy of arabia 200,000 troops from thin air to balance things out. Again, nothing I can't handle.

Then the duke flash-sieges about 6-7 useless desert provinces, losing half his men in the process, but gaining 100% warscore for some inexplicable reason They're ripe to be wiped out, and my troops are just approaching the beaches to kill them. Then my regent throws in the towel and gives independence to half the loving empire.

I would fix the problem, but it's an Alexiad game so I already had a late start, and I was going for the SPQR achievement. There's not enough time left in the game to salvage things. This isn't even a fun kind of loss, I just lost everything I had worked for no good reason.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ratpick posted:

Well, time to try this again, probably as Ivar the Boneless this time.

Try it as Jorvik, slightly easier imo. Grab East Anglia first, and then Northumberland. Spend a few years pillaging while your levies build back up, and then you can slowly work your way south, taking England. Richer than Scotland, and I think it has better starting tech levels too.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TheBalor posted:

Then the duke flash-sieges about 6-7 useless desert provinces, losing half his men in the process, but gaining 100% warscore for some inexplicable reason
Yeah, this is just annoying as hell. When vassals revolt in large empires, the provinces they siege can often be worth ten, twenty, thirty times as much as the provinces you siege of theirs.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ratpick posted:

So, yeah, you can have the Norse to Norman French culture flip event without having to touch French soil. It'll also make the imminent Norman Invasion of England much easier, because you'll already be there in the British Isles. Well, time to try this again, probably as Ivar the Boneless this time.

Ivar is also a good choice because he can't culture flip to Norwegian, Swedish or Danish. I don't think those cultures are valid for converting Breton/Frankish/Occitan to Norman.

SeaTard posted:

Try it as Jorvik, slightly easier imo. Grab East Anglia first, and then Northumberland. Spend a few years pillaging while your levies build back up, and then you can slowly work your way south, taking England. Richer than Scotland, and I think it has better starting tech levels too.

The issue I see with this, is that you've got 200 years of faffing about before the Anglo-Saxon -> English event can fire, so you've got to hold off on expanding into Anglo-Saxon lands, otherwise they could end up converted to Norse or Norman well before the event could fire.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
As the Emperor of Scandinavia, Brittania and francia I have about 8 vassal kings. One of them is my best buddy whose been imprisoned by another vassal king.
Any way I can get them released or force a release?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Allyn posted:

This guy got it. A king's de jure vassals are the dukes that make up the kingdom, NOT the counts. The dukes' de jure vassals are the counts that make up their respective duchies. As such, vassalage of the counts is not considered for giving out kingdom titles. Create and hand out all the duchies and then handing out kingdoms will work as you expect. (What's more, giving dukes some extra power to reign in your vassal king is just generally a good plan -- keeps them occupied.)

Thanks guys. I could have sworn I saw it work differently (like I expected) before, but I'm probably misremembering a case where all the duchies were already created.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why are armies suddenly appearing red to me when I'm not at war with them?

Also why can't I offer vassalization to a neighbor? The option isn't there.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
You're always hostile to all peasants. And in many case (although not all, not sure why) you'll be hostile to someone with a competing wargoal -- see, for instance, 1066 start, where William & Harold are hostile to eachother while only being at war with the same common target. Also they might be Norse raiders I guess and have stepped on your territory lately?

As for vassalisation, uhhh, depends. Are they a mercenary band that have taken land? Because you often can't vassalise those. Are they the same rank as you? Like, a duke can't have another duke as vassal.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Are you -hostile- with them? Sometimes in multi-way wars, you're hostile to other armies because your wars are at cross purposes.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm at peace but several armies are hostile to me across the map and the bektashi order keeps trying to siege me with 200 guys (I am sunni). I am an emperor trying to vassalize a sunni duke.

Edit: looking around, every raised army is hostile to me, including the bektashi order that has no territory.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 2, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
If they're not raiders or rebels, it's probably a bug. Save and reload, it helped in my case.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
How do you capture a head of religion like the Pope?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, this is just annoying as hell. When vassals revolt in large empires, the provinces they siege can often be worth ten, twenty, thirty times as much as the provinces you siege of theirs.

It's taught me that you should never ever have your heir be a child, if only because it opens you up to exploitation by bullshit mechanics. Normally I don't pick my children as heirs until they're at least of age, but in this case she was a genius with 10s in every stat, so I figured it'd make sense.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheBalor posted:

It's taught me that you should never ever have your heir be a child, if only because it opens you up to exploitation by bullshit mechanics. Normally I don't pick my children as heirs until they're at least of age, but in this case she was a genius with 10s in every stat, so I figured it'd make sense.

That's the really nice thing about elective. I try to make sure to have at least two viable heirs before I die, and once I do I immediately vote for my high-stat duke uncle/cousin etc., which has the side effect of them liking me for the +50 "chosen successor" bonus. And if my new king does bite it prematurely I have a high prestige adult heir, and not my 2 year old newborn.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Jolan posted:

How do you capture a head of religion like the Pope?

Siege his holdings and get lucky, or declare war on him and hope you can capture him in battle (he will usually lead troops in a Crusade, after all). But the first is going to be more reliable probably.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

How the gently caress do you deal with Factions. I have a new one popping up every five minutes; my crown authority is plummeting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JerikTelorian posted:

How the gently caress do you deal with Factions. I have a new one popping up every five minutes; my crown authority is plummeting.

Don't let them get big enough to challenge you in the first place. Restrict all your vassals to as few counties apiece as possible, use your vassal's troops for wars before you use your own, keep a full retinue and build your troop upgrades.

You can also set your spymaster to "scheme" on the faction leader's court, but that's a temporary fix at best.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The judicious application of large amounts of money and, failing that, assassination. Spend your days as an old ruler sitting around and making a substantial war-chest for your heir to bribe the vassals with on succession.

If these fail, it's always possible to allow a minor pretender war to be fought (so one where the faction members are drastically weaker than you) -- think of it as "draining the wound"-- in order to get the powerful "Crushed a Major Revolt" bonus.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
You can also stab them or increase their opinion of you. I think it's somehing like 100 opinion for leaders and 80 for members to quit a faction.

If you're desperate, you might try showering them with gifts and honorary titles, entrusting them with wards (this may horribly backfire), holding tournaments/passover feasts/whatever, sending your chancellor to increase opinion or giving them their dejure holdings that you hold (this is the desperate part, but it will generally increase their opinion of you by a lot). If they're ambitious it's probably better to just kill them (don't give titles to ambitious people, they will always forever all the time try to stirr some poo poo).

If it's a faction to install a claimant you can kill the claimant to instantly dissolve a faction (a new one might form though, backing a different claimant). This will also instantly end a war to install a claimant. I'm not sure if killing the leader does so as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

grate deceiver posted:

You can also stab them or increase their opinion of you. I think it's somehing like 100 opinion for leaders and 80 for members to quit a faction.

It's 80 for everyone.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

JerikTelorian posted:

Buy off the most dangerous ones (this is pretty much the most important use of honorary titles), contrive to get your vassals levies killed (if you're pagan this is the best use of raiding after the early game, failing that dismiss them in unfriendly terrtory), assasinating claimnats (those are the most dangerous ones tbh). Other than Independence and Pretender factions, surrendering is totally an option. The most common ones are lowering authority, which sucks but there's worse things, and Elective Succession, which is usually kind of fantastic regardless? And sometimes even to Independence and Pretenders you have to surrender, and them's the breaks. Better to bend than break. e: Also you can just preemptively give independence to a particularly dangerous faction member and reconquer them later.

Factions in my experience are mostly dangerous when you have a new ruler thanks to 1)low prestige 2)short reign 3)your heir acting like a loving rear end in a top hat before you warg into them.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Oh, and also, children under 16 can't participate in plotting of any kind, including factions, even if they hate your guts. Take that as you will.

Another long-term thing to do is invest in technology that gives +vassal opinion (Feudal customs?) and decreases short reign penalty (is it Majesty? can't remember).

If you're swimming in money, you can raise some mercenaries, so that they'll be more reluctant to push their claims. Related to that, try not to wage any wars or reduce your army size in any way when your vassals are upset, because it will encourage them to attack you when you are weak.

On the other hand, when you are attacked by a religious enemy, all your vassals get a huge boost to opinion for defending against infidels, so you might want to prolong a religious war until you deal with the most pressing negative opinion issues.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 2, 2014

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

Oh, and also, children under 16 can't participate in plotting of any kind, including factions, even if they hate your guts. Take that as you will.

Another long-term thing to do is invest in technology that gives +vassal opinion (Feudal customs?) and decreases short reign penalty (is it Majesty? can't remember).

Feudal customs increases vassal opinion directly. Majesty increases prestige and piety gain per month (both increase opinion with vassals). Legalism decreases short reign penalty and increases demense size.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, that is the CK2 thread here. If you want to say that one should stab people until children reign over the duchies you will shock nobody here. You are after all not advocating for stabbing babies or you brother/sister, or castrating 10 year old boys or throwing your wife into prison for 20 years or any of the other things that are much worse than just stabbing hostile vassals who are in a faction against you.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What are the main mods these days? I haven't played since ye olde gods came out and the OP looks pretty un-updated.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, that is the CK2 thread here. If you want to say that one should stab people until children reign over the duchies you will shock nobody here. You are after all not advocating for stabbing babies or you brother/sister, or castrating 10 year old boys or throwing your wife into prison for 20 years or any of the other things that are much worse than just stabbing hostile vassals who are in a faction against you.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: there is no problem in CK2 that cannot be solved with stabbings.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: there is no problem in CK2 that cannot be solved with stabbings.

Except a dumb ugly firstborn son possesed by demons.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

What are the main mods these days? I haven't played since ye olde gods came out and the OP looks pretty un-updated.

Project Balance/the Historical Immersion Project seems to be alright. CK2+ has shed off some of its worst excesses from when it first passed into the current team's hands, but it's still a little... eh.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Except Mongols and Aztecs. Oh god, don't stab the Mongol or Aztec leaders.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

I love when I get to the point that I'm rolling around in cash and I'm able to keep stabbing the rulers of my most powerful neighbors so that they are constantly embroiled in succession wars.

Completely took the steam out of the Seljuks, Golden Horde and Ilkhanate when they showed up.

Torrannor posted:

Except Mongols and Aztecs. Oh god, don't stab the Mongol or Aztec leaders.

Why not stab Mongol leaders? They have a huge territory in my game but the special event troops were wasted putting down revolts during succession disputes and now they're barely a threat to anyone.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

grate deceiver posted:

Except a dumb ugly firstborn son possesed by demons.

You can still stab him with assassins even if you can't plot against him, can you? I don't know; I always thought dumb ugly demon-children were a goal rather than an obstacle. ;)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ofaloaf posted:

Project Balance/the Historical Immersion Project seems to be alright. CK2+ has shed off some of its worst excesses from when it first passed into the current team's hands, but it's still a little... eh.

I'll still say CK2+ is better than the HIP simply because even the modified Europa divisia map is better than SWMH, and that is the only truly poor decision made by the new team.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rumda posted:

I'll still say CK2+ is better than the HIP simply because even the modified Europa divisia map is better than SWMH, and that is the only truly poor decision made by the new team.
I just don't go for the SWMH option in HIP. You can simply tell the installer to ignore that bit.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mustang posted:

I love when I get to the point that I'm rolling around in cash and I'm able to keep stabbing the rulers of my most powerful neighbors so that they are constantly embroiled in succession wars.

Completely took the steam out of the Seljuks, Golden Horde and Ilkhanate when they showed up.

Why not stab Mongol leaders? They have a huge territory in my game but the special event troops were wasted putting down revolts during succession disputes and now they're barely a threat to anyone.

It nullifies any truces they might have with you, allowing them to attack you immediately. I found out the hard way playing as the Karens that it's better to take it easy with the stabbings and take advantage of the 10-year grace period. Otherwise, they might take a kingdom-sized chunk out of you every time you stab a ruler.

quote:

You can still stab him with assassins even if you can't plot against him, can you? I don't know; I always thought dumb ugly demon-children were a goal rather than an obstacle.

That, and you can always imprison and behead them, which some might consider really an extreme case of public stabbing. Or the kind of stabbing where you send them as a lead of a token 100-man troop against an entire mongol army. And there's this one type of stabbing I always wanted to try, where you marry them to Typhoid Mary.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 2, 2014

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mustang posted:

For a while (there is a cutoff date for each horde) every new ruler gets a shiny new doomstack for free. Once you hit that date you can stab them constantly but before that you're essentially just making them stronger.

You can still stab him with assassins even if you can't plot against him, can you?

Yup. If you want to murder your kids, you need to do it the expensive and extremely error-prone way.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mailer posted:

Yup. If you want to murder your kids, you need to do it the expensive and extremely error-prone way.

Babies (barring positive traits) have 0 intrigue and live in your capital; a decent spymaster building up the network in your capital should easily give you a 50+% success rate :confused:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Finished my first game, starting off as the Count of Capua. Abused the hell out of holy war as a Christian, then had a Muslim heir and abused the hell out of holy war again during every rebellion. During this I managed to join the (elective) Byzantines, get enough votes to become successor, and got lucky with the assassinate option.

I really have no idea how that holding in Russia got there, and for whatever reason the guys in the Caucasians were willing to bend the knee. Unfortunately game ended before I could force the rest of Spain and England in line. :smith:

Watching moral authority in action was interesting - by the end the heresies were more popular than Catholicism, with the Thirty Years War coming early.

Decadence is stupid and I just disabled it. Presumably it is supposed to restrict how many people are in your dynasty but I still didn't have enough Drengots to fill open positions.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
I thought I would try to play a Muslim ruler after hearing about decadence and wanting to try out the mechanics and all that. I usually play as a female to start off my dynasty, I guess because I'm a woman myself? I don't know. Anyway. Turns out this works poorly with Muslims as you can't matrilineally marry. :(

It was a nice short playthrough though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Excelzior posted:

Babies (barring positive traits) have 0 intrigue and live in your capital; a decent spymaster building up the network in your capital should easily give you a 50+% success rate :confused:

Babies should have stats of their caretakers. Caretakers could be something like regents, but for everybody and primarily in-family.

• Locked thread