Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MurderBot posted:

Itso facto, doesn't help out and you'll probably lift/run/do whatever worse than you previously do.

Look at this meathead trying to use 5 dollars words and failing :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Casimir Radon posted:

Well that's dumb. I kind of thought it meant these nice ColdAvenger ski masks which are pretty nice.

Right, but is it nice?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Look at this meathead trying to use 5 dollars words and failing :haw:

Bro come on now. I think we all know that my strength training doesn't go past body weight exercises, and swimming.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thump! posted:

Right, but is it nice?
Bitch do I have to repeat myself? Apparently I already did *SMACK!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Air Force cops. You're still an okay pig in my book whip.

Saw a formation run here today and some fatties dropping out. Never change Air Force.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Switched back to 5/3/1 this week

max set of squats at 275...15 reps. Get owned, barbell.

Then a 45lb plate owned me when I was putting my weights up after squats, and tweeked my lower back on the right side. I was still able to work through it for the rest of my leg stuff, and we'll see how it is tomorrow.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Around this time last year, a 165 pound barbell owned me because I twisted around with it on my back to see where the squat box was. I couldn't walk for a few days and it took 2 months for me to fully recover. It was awful. Back injuries are awful.

Deadlift day. All weights are kg

2x6x70
5x100
5x120
5x140
3x160
3x3x180
3x5x170
3x6x140

bent over barbell rows
3x10x70

My hands are ruined.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Yeah, my back was wrecked for the rest of last week. Felt good to lift sat, but decided to take a couple days extra.

benching today repeating last week since it was cut short
5/3/1
2x20 45
1x3 135
1x5 155
1x5 175
1x13 195 (2x more than last week. word.)
1x8 155
2x8 165

did incline db press, flies, tri pushdown, french press, one arm cable ext, pullups, a ton of pushups and situps for the rest of the workout. 1 minute rest between all sets. Going for a short run later this evening.

edit: squat day 275 for 17 reps

edit 2: dl day 355 for 15 reps

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 27, 2013

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
About 26 months ago I started working out. 6'2" and weighed about 170. I could barely bench press 45 pound DBs. Made SOME gains by pretending I knew what I was doing. Started the Big But Boring variation of 5/3/1 about 4 months ago and have seen a ton of success. Re-assessed my maxes this week, and I hit 240 on bench, 150 on standing overhead press, 305 on deadlifts, and 285 on squats. Weigh 200 pounds now. Best feeling in the world seeing all that gym time start to pay off some. :unsmith:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Has anyone tried 1MR Vortex? It's on sale for 25 bucks on DPS and I saw some decent reviews for it but you know how supp reviews are.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Has anyone tried 1MR Vortex? It's on sale for 25 bucks on DPS and I saw some decent reviews for it but you know how supp reviews are.

It didn't do anything for me. Try Mr. Hyde. That poo poo is pretty good.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Kaliber posted:

It didn't do anything for me. Try Mr. Hyde. That poo poo is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHkrZECnfs&t=10s

Got that Mista Hyde rightchea

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I don't know what got into me this week, but I did some good max effort sets that broke my last strength cycle prs.

bench 205 13x
dl 360 19x
squat 285 20x

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Had my PT test for my OCS board administered today. I don't know what got into me but I busted out a 12:10 2 mile run, a personal best. My heart feels like it's going to explode. gently caress I hate running.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Mustang posted:

Had my PT test for my OCS board administered today. I don't know what got into me but I busted out a 12:10 2 mile run, a personal best. My heart feels like it's going to explode. gently caress I hate running.

Well at least if you go to OCS you will never have to run again!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mustang posted:

Nice time tortoise :thumbsup:

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

elite_garbage_man posted:

I don't know what got into me this week, but I did some good max effort sets that broke my last strength cycle prs.

bench 205 13x
dl 360 19x
squat 285 20x

teach me how to gainz plz. Seriously though, whats your program like?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
strength/powerlifting stuff (wendler's 5/3/1) for the big movements coupled with a body building routine (hill's y3t program). I recently started doing crossfit/hiit again and I'm slowly adding running/hiking back into my regiment.

I put on some serious weight and strength just by eating right and getting rest and doing just the y3t program alone. I think the things outside the gym werew what really helped. 40lbs in 4 months, yo.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

strength/powerlifting stuff (wendler's 5/3/1) for the big movements coupled with a body building routine (hill's y3t program). I recently started doing crossfit/hiit again and I'm slowly adding running/hiking back into my regiment.

I put on some serious weight and strength just by eating right and getting rest and doing just the y3t program alone. I think the things outside the gym werew what really helped. 40lbs in 4 months, yo.

Are you on some sort of insane journey to destroy all of the cartilage in your knees or something?

czarcasm119
Jan 20, 2014

Just bought some hyde today. i didnt read the ingredients because ive used it before plenty of times. took it. didnt feel poo poo...read ingredients. buy the old stuff if you can find it the new hyde isnt half as good.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

czarcasm119 posted:

Just bought some hyde today. i didnt read the ingredients because ive used it before plenty of times. took it. didnt feel poo poo...read ingredients. buy the old stuff if you can find it the new hyde isnt half as good.

What did they take out of it?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
A lot of those pre workouts make me feel like poo poo. I get way more out of just drinking coffee or coke before working out.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

whatspeakyou posted:

What did they take out of it?

DMAA lol.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Ashmole posted:

A lot of those pre workouts make me feel like poo poo. I get way more out of just drinking coffee or coke before working out.

Misread this a lil bit and thought, "well, I guess coke would help before a workout"

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Now that the FDA made everybody take DMAA out of their preworkouts you're better served by just taking some powdered creatine daily and slamming an energy drink before you leave for the gym. Maybe look into beta alanine and arginine if you feel like getting fancy.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Internet Wizard posted:

Now that the FDA made everybody take DMAA out of their preworkouts you're better served by just taking some powdered creatine daily and slamming an energy drink before you leave for the gym. Maybe look into beta alanine and arginine if you feel like getting fancy.

This gets said every time the FDA bans one of the major substance found in pre-workout mixtures. It's never true these companies always find something new to kill ourselves with.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

So I have 0 friends at this new base and Im getting tubs. Figured Id get into lifting but I have no clue what Im doing/where to start. How did you guys start from the bottom and end up lifting mountains?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Pandasmores posted:

So I have 0 friends at this new base and Im getting tubs. Figured Id get into lifting but I have no clue what Im doing/where to start. How did you guys start from the bottom and end up lifting mountains?

Pick up heavy thing. Put it down. Next time pick up heavier thing. Eat food. Or not. Whatever.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Check this and follow it to a T: http://www.startingstrengthtraining.com/workouts/ and http://www.startingstrengthtraining.com/diet/ and http://www.startingstrengthtraining.com/diet/supplements/

I know it says don't do extra work, but you're in the military and you're expected to do pfts every now and then. Make sure to keep up on that by doing the pft exercises 2-3 days a week. You don't have to do max effort full length pft poo poo all the time, but doing a few sets of pullups/pushups, situps/crunches, and a run/bike/swim anywhere from 1/4 - full size of your pft course is a good way to be ready to get a great score come game day. You could do a few sets of each (with a short 30 second-1 minute rest between sets) and a short run on the listed training days, or do them in between.

Trust me, if you don't keep up on it, your pft will suffer even if you're a beast in the gym. Every now and then (like once every month or two) do a max effort pft or 1/2 length pft on your own. Of course, if you're a pft stud, keep doing what you're doing because it obviously works.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Pick up heavy thing. Put it down. Next time pick up heavier thing. Eat food. Or not. Whatever.

Believe it or not, it really is this simple.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Check this and follow it to a T: http://www.startingstrengthtraining.com/workouts/ and http://www.startingstrengthtraining.com/diet/ and http://www.startingstrengthtraining.com/diet/supplements/

I know it says don't do extra work, but you're in the military and you're expected to do pfts every now and then. Make sure to keep up on that by doing the pft exercises 2-3 days a week. You don't have to do max effort full length pft poo poo all the time, but doing a few sets of pullups/pushups, situps/crunches, and a run/bike/swim anywhere from 1/4 - full size of your pft course is a good way to be ready to get a great score come game day. You could do a few sets of each (with a short 30 second-1 minute rest between sets) and a short run on the listed training days, or do them in between.

Trust me, if you don't keep up on it, your pft will suffer even if you're a beast in the gym. Every now and then (like once every month or two) do a max effort pft or 1/2 length pft on your own. Of course, if you're a pft stud, keep doing what you're doing because it obviously works.

Believe it or not, it really is this simple.

Eh, I dont care about the pft any more, just doing bare minimum even though on my own I do more.

This is really going to help though, one of my biggest sources of confusion came from the supplements, especially since they appear to be very expensive. I didnt want to throw money away. The way days are split up in that workout will help loads too. Thanks dude.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Body dysmorphia is a pretty good pre-workout. Just look in the mirror and call yourself a weak, tiny, fat bitch until you feel motivated. Probably as dangerous/unhealthy as any pre-workout supplement in the long run, but its free.

Pandasmores posted:

Eh, I dont care about the pft any more, just doing bare minimum even though on my own I do more.

This is really going to help though, one of my biggest sources of confusion came from the supplements, especially since they appear to be very expensive. I didnt want to throw money away. The way days are split up in that workout will help loads too. Thanks dude.

Just buy protein powder and take vitamins. You don't need anything else. Don't buy anything at GNC because its a ripoff.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Sweet baby Jesus, my legs are loving done. Haven't lifted in two months then had the bright idea to do 5x5 high bar squats and 3x8 romanian deadlifts with my new Romaleo 2s. Surprised I made it back to the barracks, much less up the stairs to my room, without a fireman's carry or crutches.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
So the powerlifting meet I am going to enter got push back a few weeks, and into March.

this weeks max sets goal was only 3 reps

bench 215x11
dl 380x19 (bloody shins and all)
squat 305x16 (i think I could have done 1 or 2 more if I didn't do a water downed murph yesterday)

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 8, 2014

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Took a couple days off because I was sick

went back today for some hefty conditioning work, bodyweight stuff, and to work on my opening weights for a pl meet

conditoning
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of
double db clean and press 45#
situps
rengade rows 15#
back squat 135
30 sec rest between rounds

5 min rest

2x20 sec max effort sets (10 sec rest)
pushups 21-20

1 min rest

2x20 sec max effort sets (10 sec rest)
situps 15-15

1 min rest

2 minutes on a stationary bike

2x6 pullups 10 sec rest

back squat
1x45
1x135
1x225
1x315 (nearly had the weight spill off the bar because of how fast I was coming up and the people that run this place grease the collars for some reason. poo poo was sp00ky)
1x335 (my 5/3/1 training max this cycle)
1x365
1-1:30 rest between sets
no belt no wraps

2 sets each side of jane fondas (look it up on mountainathlete.com)

last week of my current 5/3/1 is this week.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is pt in the military usually calisthenics plus running and maybe swimming? Do people lift in organized pt anywhere?

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

lol

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is pt in the military usually calisthenics plus running and maybe swimming? Do people lift in organized pt anywhere?
PT in the US military is by and large poorly thought out in terms of any sort of progression or injury prevention.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

PT in the US military is by and large designed to cause injury.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, for the army think 1940's era calisthenics, which was modernized a few years back too include some Jazzercise, with no real warm ups or cool downs that have any real effectiveness. And then running. Lots, and lots of running. And then rucking. All of these things which then add up into an injury fueled nightmare, despite medical saying NO NO DEAR GOD STOP THAT poo poo PLEASE but no one is ever held accountable so it will continue until the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Wow, that really sounds like a nightmare. There was an article called "Why the army wants me weak" on starting strenght which critisized heavily military pt and how it does not prepare men for the kind of fitness needed on combat. I watched some documentaries about navy seals and rangers and green berets and what not and what they did seemed like the unhealthiest thing for any human beings to do, I have no idea how anybody's body could take that, tremenduous athletes or not. People break themselves for playing soccer, let alone for running million miles in combat boots with hundred pounds tied to their backs.

On the thread topic though: my local police academy's fitness test requires me to run 1,5km/0,93 miles in less than 6 minutes to get maximum points. I haven't run in years, just done judo, caslisthenics and weight training. How should I approach this goal? I have one year time to train.