Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New LasBossXHero

I love this manga :allears:

And indeed it seems than anyone else is manipulating Sagara and the setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New LasBossXHero

I love this manga :allears:

And indeed it seems than anyone else is manipulating Sagara and the setting

Your image seems to be broken. I'm getting a redbox.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ArcadePark posted:

Your image seems to be broken. I'm getting a redbox.
I can see it just fine.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Coaaab posted:

I can see it just fine.

As I do (and I'm on a 3DS), maybe something on your end?

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Maybe it's just my IP. I switched on a different computer and still can't see it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Koe No Katachi

I don't know if is than the translation is weird or if is something else but this chapter felt off. Shouko keeps being adorable and Shouya keeps showing to be a solid protagonist while the actions felt organic and natural according to the plot but something just doesn't feel right.

:psyduck:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I think this might be the clearest action sequence ever featured in an Oh! Great manga.

Speaking of Biorg Trinity, thoughts anyone? It seems... painfully generic, with great art.

The concept is interesting enough, I guess...

EDIT: Wait, this should be in the Seinen thread :v:

Whoops. I even made a point of checking.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 2, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

The last page was interesting and baffling to me. I've read a few articles (like this one or this or this) and while I get the general sentiment of the phrase "the moon is beautiful" as having the same effect in Japanese culture as the phrase "I love you" in English culture, I don't understand the reasoning behind the usage of the word 'moon'. Is it because the moon is a symbol related to love in Japan?

For whatever reason, though, if Shouko does interpret Shouya saying the 'moon is beautiful' as him reciprocating her love, that'll be a really unique basis for a misunderstanding. I wonder also if the fact that 'moon is beautiful' arises from the difficulty of translating from one culture to another, the possible misunderstanding here is a metaphor of the difficulty in a non-deaf person communicating in the language of the deaf. That's nice. Also really cute :3:

Did any of you read The Cooking Master Boy? It had been released to the last volume of its sequel in my country and I love it to pieces. I love the setting of old China, which makes the development in the last half of the series sort of fitting. The cooking itself does get ridiculous, but it often stays at the level of Addicted to Curry instead of Yakitate.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

toanoradian posted:

The last page was interesting and baffling to me. I've read a few articles (like this one or this or this) and while I get the general sentiment of the phrase "the moon is beautiful" as having the same effect in Japanese culture as the phrase "I love you" in English culture, I don't understand the reasoning behind the usage of the word 'moon'. Is it because the moon is a symbol related to love in Japan?

For whatever reason, though, if Shouko does interpret Shouya saying the 'moon is beautiful' as him reciprocating her love, that'll be a really unique basis for a misunderstanding. I wonder also if the fact that 'moon is beautiful' arises from the difficulty of translating from one culture to another, the possible misunderstanding here is a metaphor of the difficulty in a non-deaf person communicating in the language of the deaf. That's nice. Also really cute :3:

The misunderstanding is just based primarily on the fact that "Tsuki" means moon while "Suki" means like or love. They're written differently, but are basically a Japanese homophone. Shouya just hates himself so much that even if he ultimately heard what she said, he would immediately assume it's the former without even thinking of the latter.

How she interprets what he said in response remains to be seen, but I have no doubt it will be adorable.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 2, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New Koe No Katachi

I don't know if is than the translation is weird or if is something else but this chapter felt off. Shouko keeps being adorable and Shouya keeps showing to be a solid protagonist while the actions felt organic and natural according to the plot but something just doesn't feel right.

:psyduck:

It's a bad speed translation. I THINK there might be some Chinese scan/translation middle man work there or something since IIRC Chinese scans have somehow been showing up before the Japanese chapters are even published. There's actually a Chinese scan of chapter 24 out as well.

Spoiler for chapter 24: Shouya makes a new friend, Mashiba (the guy who wanted to know what happened with the bridge when he came back from suspension), and the X gets dropped from Kawai's face as she starts hanging around them (possibly to try and get with Mashiba?).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Suben posted:

It's a bad speed translation. I THINK there might be some Chinese scan/translation middle man work there or something since IIRC Chinese scans have somehow been showing up before the Japanese chapters are even published. There's actually a Chinese scan of chapter 24 out as well.

Spoiler for chapter 24: Shouya makes a new friend, Mashiba (the guy who wanted to know what happened with the bridge when he came back from suspension), and the X gets dropped from Kawai's face as she starts hanging around them (possibly to try and get with Mashiba?).

Ok, this is sounding interesting. Is a weekly release?

Rosario to Vampire Final episode

This was filled with heartwarming moments but it really feels like a 'tune up for the sequel!' type of ending (or Ikeda just didn't gave a gently caress and just wanted to end it fast) and that is bothering me to no end. We'll getting an epilogue on April at least-

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a pretty funny resolution to the whole inner/outer Moka thing. This entire time your girlfriend was actually...your girlfriend's mom! Surprise!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sindai posted:

That was a pretty funny resolution to the whole inner/outer Moka thing. This entire time your girlfriend was actually...your girlfriend's mom! Surprise!

Family meetings are gonna be awkward :haw:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
They already set up a future conflict possibility, so who knows. Maybe Rosario+Vampire III next year.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
...I'm sorry. I'm not sure what happened. I think Yowamushi Pedal has an update of two volumes? I remember this brief spurt of excitement and a blinding white flash of burning spirit, but not much else.

Midousuji is the best godfucking drat character in the entire series.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 8, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

toanoradian posted:

...I'm sorry. I'm not sure what happened. I think Yowamushi Pedal has an update of two volumes? I remember this brief spurt of excitement and a blinding white flash of burning spirit, but not much else.

Midousuji is the best godfucking drat character in the entire series.

:gonk: Ohgod, when Midousuji suddenly appeared out of nowhere at the end of chapter 94, that legitimately sent chills down my spine. He is just the creepiest dude. Amazing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yumekui Merry continues to be way more entertaining than it has any right to be.

E: Batoto says it's seinen noooooooooooo

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 10, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Yumekui Merry continues to be way more entertaining than it has any right to be.

Ow my finger.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New LassBossXHero Slightly :nws:

I'm loving the way the author is loving with Sagara and us :allears:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So with Beelzebub ending there are 3 new series replacing it (Hachi and Koi no Cupid also ended, but those never got scanlated/nobody read those so who knows if they were good or not).

Also everything I'm linking is from the Japanese Jump online store chapter preview, so look at it if you want to look at pretty pictures or practice your Japanese.

So our new series are:

Stealth Symphony from the team of Narita Ryougo, author of Baccano and Durara, and being drawn by Amano Youichi, dealing with with various fantasy races coexisting in Kamibo town, which is pretty par for the course with Narita so it should hopefully be interesting. It's premiering next week internationally in Shonen Jump Alpha so check it out there.

Illegal Rare from Hiroshi Shiibashi, author of Nurarihyon no Mago, which is being described as fantasy black market crime action, and from skimming through the chapter, looks like the dealings of our hero group lead by a vampire vs the illegal trafficking of fantasy people like mermaids, so it sounds like a fun premise. I actually liked Nurarihyon no Mago so hopefully this gets picked up somewhere.

And lastly, i Shoujo, which looks to be your typical romcom with lots of fanservice, so probably not worth your time. The plot premise sounds a lot like Video Girl Ai though if I parsed it correctly. No preview chapter so probably dodged a bullet there. What little I've seen makes it look pretty terrible.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 21, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Zettai Karen Children starts it's final arc this summer. I would probably have seen this coming if the last two months of chapters had actually been scanlated yet. (Was still kinda expecting it, but you know.)

Mixed feelings about the series right now. The manga was really, really, good almost as soon as the middle school arc started and then in the last few years it's been a mess, with so much obvious filler and flashback padding that there had to be something going on with the author. Hopefully the last arc manages to stay coherent to the end.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

madmac posted:

Zettai Karen Children starts it's final arc this summer. I would probably have seen this coming if the last two months of chapters had actually been scanlated yet. (Was still kinda expecting it, but you know.)

Mixed feelings about the series right now. The manga was really, really, good almost as soon as the middle school arc started and then in the last few years it's been a mess, with so much obvious filler and flashback padding that there had to be something going on with the author. Hopefully the last arc manages to stay coherent to the end.

I pretty much always have mixed feelings about Zettai Karen Children; it's that kind of series. I will never not find Kaoru/Minamoto creepy, and there seem to be more signs pointing to it than ever. Then again, Yuri (The scanslators are calling her Julie now) is probably more in love with Kaoru than ever now, so there's an obvious alternative. I'm not so much bothered by the pacing because I tend to forget the manga exists for months at a time and read it in large chunks. I think the most recent flashback was important because it showed that Kyousuke is so messed up as much because of the whole child soldier thing as because of the betrayal. Also, we found out what he meant when he called the school uniform "mourning attire" in The Unlimited.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I hear you. The Kaoru thing is something I just try and gloss over because, yeah.

quote:

I'm not so much bothered by the pacing because I tend to forget the manga exists for months at a time and read it in large chunks.

Probably a better approach. There are some things that are hard to describe experiencing in real time, like that one "storyline" that was just the main characters like jumping in holes and stuff and not getting anywhere for months. Or the time I remember them flashing back to characters reacting to a flashback about something that may technically have also been a flashback.

Still, I'm looking forward to how the last arc plays out, especially with all the weight the manga has put on that time period up until now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not sure where to put this, but it's marked as shounen, so I suppose this is where it belongs.

Been reading this pretty new series called Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa which looks to be shaping up to be mostly high school shenanigans and harem hijinx. It's pretty inoffensive and doesn't seem like it'll really tread any spectacular new ground and likely won't go super deep into plot stuff in favor of comedy stuff, though the class rep being a thumb-sized alien who pilots a "giant" robot version of herself is pretty amusing, as well as the Ranma-esque werewolf. I think it's amusing enough and thought I'd share, there's not really any absurd fanservice or anything so far(though one of the newer characters revels in it), it's mostly just goofiness. I find it just fun to see what the new gimmicks are, or gag versions of monsters weaknesses such as vampires getting really harsh tans when exposed to sunlight and such.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's probably fine here as well, but we've been discussing it in the Surreal Daily Life thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, right, I thought it might go there but hadn't checked since it was marked shounen on Kissmanga. Thanks!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nate RFB posted:

I was into the first chapter and then the TL notes at the end are literally just "lolis gently caress yeah". Goddammit internet. God. Dammit.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Literally The Worst posted:

I was into the first chapter and then the TL notes at the end are literally just "lolis gently caress yeah". Goddammit internet. God. Dammit.

At least they were at the end, where you can mostly ignore it. There are some translators that can't resist editorializing in the middle of a page. You have to read the loving notes because there could be some cultural idiom or pun or something, but then it's just, "lol he got rekt". It's like someone talking in the movie theater and I want to hurt the person just as much.

The version of Biscuit Hammer I've been trying to read is really, REALLY bad this way. There's a useless personal TL comment on every third page and I had to take a break from the whole series it was ticking me off so bad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

The version of Biscuit Hammer I've been trying to read is really, REALLY bad this way. There's a useless personal TL comment on every third page and I had to take a break from the whole series it was ticking me off so bad.

If I recall, that stops around halfway through the series as a different scanlator group picks it up.

But yes, stupid translator comments are the worse. Anyone who's read The Company's translations of Tower of God can agree that crazy needs to shut the hell up.

e: Or maybe it's the other way around and it only starts when the different scanlator group picks it up? I dunno.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cake Attack posted:

If I recall, that stops around halfway through the series as a different scanlator group picks it up.

But yes, stupid translator comments are the worse. Anyone who's read The Company's translations of Tower of God can agree that crazy needs to shut the hell up.

e: Or maybe it's the other way around and it only starts when the different scanlator group picks it up? I dunno.

Yeah, it starts at the latter half.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

New Sket Dance: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sket-Dance/Vol-029-Ch-261--Quest-Dance---Soldier-of-the-Counterattack?id=188039

:lol: Acchan didn't do anything!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! ch. 78!

(and here's ch. 77 in case you missed it two weeks ago... like I did :blush:)

In which Imamura demonstrates empathy for once, Aki gets beaten to the punch, and the Ouendan gets some new recruits.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Stealth Symphony was pretty neat. I hope it doesn't go to poo poo like so many WSJ manga before it.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Anyone reading Soul Catcher(S)? Seems to be another relatively new jump manga.

It's about a guy who can see people's hearts but has always problems interpreting them and instead of helping the situation made things worse which resulted in him being a loner, until his own heart gets swayed and he gets slowly dragged into the Concert Band Club.

So far it has been pretty fun although you could say that it is generic as hell in it premise, still I like it. So far 12 chapters have been scanlated and its up to 30+ chapters in Japan.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

CVE posted:

Anyone reading Soul Catcher(S)? Seems to be another relatively new jump manga.

It's about a guy who can see people's hearts but has always problems interpreting them and instead of helping the situation made things worse which resulted in him being a loner, until his own heart gets swayed and he gets slowly dragged into the Concert Band Club.

So far it has been pretty fun although you could say that it is generic as hell in it premise, still I like it. So far 12 chapters have been scanlated and its up to 30+ chapters in Japan.

I've been enjoying Soul Catcher(S).

Like you said, it does feel pretty generic, but the majority of my enjoyment of is creative imagery of the hearts.

I mean that's a baby riding a horse-dinosaur hybrid directly up a sheer cliff with the power of music, how is that not great?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ConanThe3rd posted:

Stealth Symphony was pretty neat. I hope it doesn't go to poo poo like so many WSJ manga before it.

Yeah I really enjoyed that. New thing to look forward to every week, I guess.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Illegal Rare is out. Seems pretty cool.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
A new chapter of Soul Catcher(S) is out.

I guess you could say the plot is a little generic, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far! The bizarre heart designs are definitely the best.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Fantastic! More Sket Dance! By the look of it the scanlators got their hands on a volume, so we should be seeing more chapters more frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Soul Catcher(S) 14 is out.

The faces whenever Kamine does basically anything incredible is so good :allears: