Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I promised I would make a sweet steamed nian gao for a New Year's party. Does anyone have a really good recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My mom has it I need to ask. You mean the southern style ones right? My northern friends were surprised about them.

Oh and stir fry nian gao is actually from ningbo.

It's called Shanghai style because the initial Cantonese immigrants and Guangzhou folk have no idea about non local Chinese regions and customs.

I didn't learn much until I started dating my girlfriend who grew up in hangzhou.

Sorry to be a food snob

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Magna Kaser posted:

a delicious-sounding recipe

Thanks! I'm definitely going to make this as soon as I get a chance.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

caberham posted:

My mom has it I need to ask. You mean the southern style ones right? My northern friends were surprised about them.

Oh and stir fry nian gao is actually from ningbo.

It's called Shanghai style because the initial Cantonese immigrants and Guangzhou folk have no idea about non local Chinese regions and customs.

I didn't learn much until I started dating my girlfriend who grew up in hangzhou.

Sorry to be a food snob

It's cool, and yeah that's what I'm looking for. If you have one from your mom that would be amazing. Thank you in advance.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I made the potstickers from the GWS wiki and goddamn that pork+napa cabbage+ginger filling is amazing. I'm still working out the best way to cook them, figuring out how long to fry them, how much broth to add, and how long to cook after that. I've got it pretty well set to 2 minutes frying, add 2/3 to 1 cup broth, keep that going 3 minutes or so until the wrapper gets translucent. It works really well in my cast iron pan; when I tried it in a stainless pan, it stuck way too much. In the cast iron, it gets a nice crispy bottom but comes free with very little spatula work. Deglazing the pan afterward is a lot easier too.

This continues to enforce my belief that cast iron pans are the only worthwhile cooking implements. Carbon steel woks are acceptable too I guess.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

It's cool, and yeah that's what I'm looking for. If you have one from your mom that would be amazing. Thank you in advance.

My mum's from Ningbo and she's an otherwise poo poo cook but the nian gao she makes is one of my favourite foods. We don't eat it sweet- instead it'll have bok choy, chorizo (pork is more authentic, but we prefer chorizo), and sometimes sliced shiitake.

This recipe http://www.steamykitchen.com/15288-chinese-stirfried-sticky-rice-cakes-nian-gao.html looks pretty close. Main differences are my mum usually skips the soy sauce and adds more water than they use so the texture is chewier, like sticky rice. Also, they use crunchy/crisp ingredients like bamboo shoots and mustard greens which I find meshes poorly with the dish unless you like crisped up nian gao... which is tasty, I guess, but be aware that it can absorb a ton of oil before that happens.

And I remembered my mum does make sweet nian gao! Basically use more sugar, no salt, some poached eggs and most importantly deseeded halved longyan fruit. Before you serve, add sesame oil.

Haha, I just realised you asked for southern style nian gao. My bad.

Fall fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 12, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Fall posted:

My mum's from Ningbo and she's an otherwise poo poo cook but the nian gao she makes is one of my favourite foods. We don't eat it sweet- instead it'll have bok choy, chorizo (pork is more authentic, but we prefer chorizo), and sometimes sliced shiitake.

This recipe http://www.steamykitchen.com/15288-chinese-stirfried-sticky-rice-cakes-nian-gao.html looks pretty close. Main differences are my mum usually skips the soy sauce and adds more water than they use so the texture is chewier, like sticky rice. Also, they use crunchy/crisp ingredients like bamboo shoots and mustard greens which I find meshes poorly with the dish unless you like crisped up nian gao... which is tasty, I guess, but be aware that it can absorb a ton of oil before that happens.

And I remembered my mum does make sweet nian gao! Basically use more sugar, no salt, some poached eggs and most importantly deseeded halved longyan fruit. Before you serve, add sesame oil.

Haha, I just realised you asked for southern style nian gao. My bad.

It's cool, I prefer it Ningbo style savory too as that's one of the dishes I do know how to make, until I realised the person who asked me was looking for the sweet one that's like a big flat sticky cake.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A nice trick with the sweet sticky one is to cut it up in slices and then coat it egg and then pan fry it. That way it hardens up a little bit and makes it easier to eat.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I made the potstickers from the GWS wiki and goddamn that pork+napa cabbage+ginger filling is amazing. I'm still working out the best way to cook them, figuring out how long to fry them, how much broth to add, and how long to cook after that. I've got it pretty well set to 2 minutes frying, add 2/3 to 1 cup broth, keep that going 3 minutes or so until the wrapper gets translucent. It works really well in my cast iron pan; when I tried it in a stainless pan, it stuck way too much. In the cast iron, it gets a nice crispy bottom but comes free with very little spatula work. Deglazing the pan afterward is a lot easier too.

This continues to enforce my belief that cast iron pans are the only worthwhile cooking implements. Carbon steel woks are acceptable too I guess.

Try making gau choi gaos; pork, gau choi(garlic chives), and minced shrimp. There's the option of using fish/shrimp paste, those are pretty good too(better as soup dumplings). Thank me when you try it. I personally feel that napa acts too much as a filler without adding any flavor, so I often prefer using gau choi in all of my dumplings. Any kind of dumpling using gau choi can be used as soup dumplings(not to be confused with xiao long bao), the aroma and taste of it meshes well with soup and noodles.

Another tip is if you don't want to deal with all the liquid when pan frying dumplings, an easier alternative is to steam them first and then just fry them golden brown with your preferred oil or hell even butter.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kuhmondo posted:

Try making gau choi gaos; pork, gau choi(garlic chives), and minced shrimp. There's the option of using fish/shrimp paste, those are pretty good too(better as soup dumplings). Thank me when you try it. I personally feel that napa acts too much as a filler without adding any flavor, so I often prefer using gau choi in all of my dumplings. Any kind of dumpling using gau choi can be used as soup dumplings(not to be confused with xiao long bao), the aroma and taste of it meshes well with soup and noodles.

Another tip is if you don't want to deal with all the liquid when pan frying dumplings, an easier alternative is to steam them first and then just fry them golden brown with your preferred oil or hell even butter.

The liquid really was a pain in the rear end, and the second brand of wrappers I tried were too thick... didn't cook quite enough and left me with an overly chewy wrapper. First brand was a lot better, but I think if I was steaming them I'd be able to steam them long enough to get the wrapper done right. With the good wrappers, the wrapper got nice and translucent.

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Hell yes I went on an expedition to the Chinese grocery today and picked up not one but two different jars of Angry Lady Sauce! I also have more random green vegetables and tonight is officially Sichuan-style Beef (shhh I have beef already and no pork) Noodle Soup. I am weird and tend to use Miso as my soup base, and I also just got back from overseas and don't have anything else. I just perused the Wiki - my beef is already pre-stripped and doesn't have much connective tissue so I'm going to miss that part of the goodness, but otherwise am I going to lose a lot by just stir frying the beef/veggies as normal instead of boil/braise? I normally do my soup with pulled pork, so this is a bit of an experiment. If the meat is already lean it should be fine to stir fry right?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Josie posted:

Hell yes I went on an expedition to the Chinese grocery today and picked up not one but two different jars of Angry Lady Sauce! I also have more random green vegetables and tonight is officially Sichuan-style Beef (shhh I have beef already and no pork) Noodle Soup. I am weird and tend to use Miso as my soup base, and I also just got back from overseas and don't have anything else. I just perused the Wiki - my beef is already pre-stripped and doesn't have much connective tissue so I'm going to miss that part of the goodness, but otherwise am I going to lose a lot by just stir frying the beef/veggies as normal instead of boil/braise? I normally do my soup with pulled pork, so this is a bit of an experiment. If the meat is already lean it should be fine to stir fry right?

Not to be a jerk about it, but I would consider miso a condiment, instead of a soup base. Even miso soup uses dashi stock as the soup base.
For that reason I think it would really be preferable to use any kind of stock you might have available even if you just pick up some chicken soup base at the market or what have you, especially because you're not going to have meat cooking for a long time with connective tissues as you said.

That's my take on it though.

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

hallo spacedog posted:

Not to be a jerk about it, but I would consider miso a condiment, instead of a soup base. Even miso soup uses dashi stock as the soup base.
For that reason I think it would really be preferable to use any kind of stock you might have available even if you just pick up some chicken soup base at the market or what have you, especially because you're not going to have meat cooking for a long time with connective tissues as you said.

That's my take on it though.

Interesting, I never really thought about that, I've been using miso as a soup base for years. You're right though.

Anyway, it all turned out deliciously, and I want to eat Angry Lady Sauce on everything until I die.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Josie posted:

Interesting, I never really thought about that, I've been using miso as a soup base for years. You're right though.

Anyway, it all turned out deliciously, and I want to eat Angry Lady Sauce on everything until I die.

Actually, now that I think of it, I had totally forgotten this because I don't usually use it but they do make miso with the stock already inside. It looks like:

or

But, ultimately all that matters is that it tastes good!
I absolutely love miso also. Have you ever had garlic miso? (EDIT: This looks simpler http://www.lafujimama.com/2010/05/miso-pickled-garlic-ninniku-miso-zuke-all-you-need-is-3-ingredients-and-a-glass-jar/)
It is delicious on rice (and everything basically).

VV EDITx2: That sounds amazing. VV

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 14, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How we do beef soup base for lazy beef noodle soup is thus:

A serving bowlful of water per serving

For every two bowls of water, add:

1tbl beef base
1 tsp chicken soup base (we use better than boullion)
1tbl light soy
1tbl dark soy
1tbl golden mountain sauce
One or two celery stalks (with leaves) cut into approx 3" pieces
Optional: star anise, chunk of thai ginger

boil the poo poo out of it while your noodles soak and soften

In the bowl itself put:
A spoonful of fried garlic
ground pepper (a few twists of the pepper mill, more if you like it spicy)
A pinch of pickled cabbage
handful bean spouts
chopped raw celery (1 stalk)
chopped green onion (1 or 2)
chopped cilantro (tbl or so)

boil your sliced beef and rice noodles by putting them in a strainer and tossing around in boiling broth til just cooked, plop in bowl, once everyone's is cooked pour broth over everything. if you want to Thai it up add a squirt of fish sauce and some lime juice (chili paste/saucy condiments optional if you want to heat it up, or you can dice fresh thai chile and toss it in the bowl)

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Actually, now that I think of it, I had totally forgotten this because I don't usually use it but they do make miso with the stock already inside. It looks like:

or

But, ultimately all that matters is that it tastes good!
I absolutely love miso also. Have you ever had garlic miso? (EDIT: This looks simpler http://www.lafujimama.com/2010/05/miso-pickled-garlic-ninniku-miso-zuke-all-you-need-is-3-ingredients-and-a-glass-jar/)
It is delicious on rice (and everything basically).

VV EDITx2: That sounds amazing. VV

The first picture is exactly what I normally use :)

copen
Feb 2, 2003
went to the asian market and got a couple of goodies. bottle each of dark and light soy (i've only ever had japanese). a bag of MSG for like 2 dollars and a pound of tapioca starch for .72 cents. Oh and a bottle of Shaoxing wine, how long is this good for after I open it? does it turn to vinegar like most wines? Can I still use it after it does turn to vinegar? It was pretty cheap like < 3 dollars but still.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've had an open one for like two years now? I'm still using it, haven't noticed anything weird.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I've had an open one for like two years now? I'm still using it, haven't noticed anything weird.

Wait, wait, what? Didn't I bring you 2? Are you still on the first one?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

Wait, wait, what? Didn't I bring you 2? Are you still on the first one?

You did. I'm being strategic! As long as the other one is sealed it's safe.

(the open one's almost empty)

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't worry. My home has all kinds of sauces opened for at least a year and nobody has died from food poisoning (yet).

By the way, the local soy sauce in Australia really sucks. Doesn't taste anything like the stuff from Hong Kong at all. :(

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

恭喜发财 to the Chinese food thread.
My nian gao turned out excellent. I made a coconut one and a red bean one.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
Im expecting some Chinese New Year feast reports back here tonight....don't disappoint me goons.

I'll report back after a nice chinese dinner.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
My wife has attended two. I was envious as all hell.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

hoshkwon posted:

Im expecting some Chinese New Year feast reports back here tonight....don't disappoint me goons.

I'll report back after a nice chinese dinner.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2014/pictures/old-ladies-dining-at-kfc-on-chinese-new-years-eve.html

:smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Happy Lunar New Year!

Too bad horse is not on the menu :downsrim:

Since my sisters had Chinese New Year Eve dinner at their inlaws, I just invited some out of town goons over and we went all out Cantonese.

Steamed fish, soy sauce fried prawns, abalone and fish maw (bladder?), baby spinach, turnip cake, home made nian gao, bamboo shoots appetizers, and some other vegetarian dish.

Ugh too full. Going to different people's houses and wishing them a happy goon year is a marathon of different check points and food. More goons to wine and dine in the evening.

I'm going to be a fatty fat gently caress.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
Went to a great Chinese restaurant (How Lee; Pittsburgh, PA) tonight with a couple of friends.

la zi ji ding - Chongqing fried chicken with chiles

shuizhu yu - Sichuan fish in chili broth

Shredded pork with Chinese celery and bean curd

Dry fried green beans with ground pork

Everything was on point. We also got west lake beef soup but I forgot to take a photo as I was too busy shoving food into my face.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I live in Chengdu, China and those dishes look p authentic. The 辣子鸡丁 isn't so authentic though cause it looks to have like 100% more meat than I've ever seen in it.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

I live in Chengdu, China and those dishes look p authentic. The 辣子鸡丁 isn't so authentic though cause it looks to have like 100% more meat than I've ever seen in it.

Yeah it was like a double portion or "large" size I guess. What kind of goodies did you have for New Years?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah that looks really authentic except I bet the chicken and fish weren't full of bones.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never been able to get dry fried green beans to come out nearly as well as they should. Is anyone good at it? What do you do?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

They look like they are having a good time to me. Not everyone wants a huge family out of their lives, and besides, KFC is pretty delicious when it's what you crave.

Also Chinese KFC egg tarts :allears:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah, what I've had of it was basically a finely chopped chicken carcass with chili added for volume. It's a nice enough thing to pick at with your chopsticks for beer drinking.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Yeah, what I've had of it was basically a finely chopped chicken carcass with chili added for volume. It's a nice enough thing to pick at with your chopsticks for beer drinking.

Generally it seems to be all the meat-less parts of the bird chopped up. If you like cartilage it's a great dish! (I like it anyway)

hoshkwon posted:

Yeah it was like a double portion or "large" size I guess. What kind of goodies did you have for New Years?

I just moved and haven't set anything up for cooking (Need to buy things like a refrigerator and get my gas working which are both held up due to the holiday) so I actually went out for pizza with some friends because during Chinese New Year everything but western stuff and Chinese copies of western franchises are closed.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Magna Kaser posted:

during Chinese New Year everything but western stuff and Chinese copies of western franchises are closed.

This is funny... so different, yes so similar.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

shaitan posted:

This is funny... so different, yes so similar.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

My god what movie was that?! I saw it when I was like 6 or something and that scene still stands out like a beacon of WTF in my mind.

Many restaurants in Shanghai are open for CNY, but usually understaffed and the quality suffers. Still a lot of people go out to eat.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

A Christmas Story

The Bumpuses' dogs stole the turkey, so they went out for Chinese for Christmas dinner.

e: A 30+ year old movie but just to be safe.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I bought some chinese sausage recently and need some ideas for what to do with it. Anyone have any recipes that use lap cheong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I bought some chinese sausage recently and need some ideas for what to do with it. Anyone have any recipes that use lap cheong?

Use it in fried rice for extra deliciousness.