Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah it's a really short bit in the middle of the song but that's the closest I've heard to E1M1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGC2iP5ss6E

King Diamond owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_music

quote:

Exactly which song "At Doom's Gate" is based on has been disputed. Usually suggested are Metallica's "Master of Puppets" and "No Remorse". It is also possible that the song is based on a sequence in "The Family Ghost" by King Diamond (the part can be heard approximately 2:15 into the song). Slayer's "Behind the Crooked Cross" at 1:08 and Blackmayne's "Twilight Of Lear" from their 1985 LP Blackmayne is also possible. The riff, almost verbatim, is also featured in D.R.I.'s "Hooked" from their 1987 LP Crossover and Aria's "Это рок" (English: "This is Doom" or "This is Fate") from their 1985 debut album Мания Величия (English: Megalomania).

I guess it's just being generic rock rather than based on any song in particular.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I've heard all of those songs suggested as the inspiration, but it really had to be a song Bobby Prince has heard so that leaves out Aria and D.R.I. The Metallica songs only sound right if you are trying to hear it, the key is very different in both those songs and progression is all wrong. The King Diamond sequence not only has the notes in the right order, John Romero specifically mentioned King Diamond as being a tape he gave Bobby for inspiration. I've always thought the e1m1 is Metallica people are reaching, neither of those songs are the right key or the right progression of notes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It really is just "generic metal riff." They knew what they were doing, no way they were going to rip off Metallica full sale and get away with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJSH5pEYJio

EvilGenius posted:

^^^ out of curiosity, is there anyone who likes the original Doom soundtrack that didn't first hear it back in the day? I honestly think they're terrible songs that dumb down the game.

I really loved what Trent Reznor did with the Quake 1 sound track. I can imagine when they announced it, everyone was thinking it would be metal, like Doom, but actually what we got was much more clever than that, and made the game absolutely terrifying. I can't stand NIN, but the Quake sound track is master stroke, and I'm glad at least a couple of Doom ports tried to mimic its effect.

I'll raise my hand. Doom 64 was my first exposure but I still like the original Doom soundtrack. They're not terrible songs by any stretch of the imagination in terms of composition or craft and Doom's already a dumb game so that argument's out the window. The change in pacing, lighting effects, and graphics of the console ports necessitated a darker, more ambient soundtrack.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Hang on, so I'm the only one who mutes the midi music and blasts some really unfitting poo poo in the background? I've found that the more unfitting the music, the more enjoyable the game gets (Earth, Wind & Fire works well :v:)

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

al-azad posted:

It really is just "generic metal riff." They knew what they were doing, no way they were going to rip off Metallica full sale and get away with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJSH5pEYJio

I'll raise my hand. Doom 64 was my first exposure but I still like the original Doom soundtrack. They're not terrible songs by any stretch of the imagination in terms of composition or craft and Doom's already a dumb game so that argument's out the window. The change in pacing, lighting effects, and graphics of the console ports necessitated a darker, more ambient soundtrack.

perhaps I'm being a tad hypocritical here. As I said, my first exposure was on console, and what I remember from Doom and Quake was sitting in dark room with a set of headphones, scaring the poo poo out of myself. Since then, I've always had a soft spot for scary FPSs, and hearing that MIDI music on more recent ports ruined the nostalgia for me.

Is Doom a dumb game? It's has superbly balanced gameplay, with a consistent art direction (other than the music) that hadn't been seen in an FPS before. On the surface, it's a dumb run and gun, but when you consider what went into making it fun, and what went into maintaining that coherant theme I'm not sure 'dumb' fits. The music I would absolutely say is dumb in terms of composition and craft. It's metal fanboy music, nothing more.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

M.Ciaster posted:

Hang on, so I'm the only one who mutes the midi music and blasts some really unfitting poo poo in the background? I've found that the more unfitting the music, the more enjoyable the game gets (Earth, Wind & Fire works well :v:)

Try it with some Enya.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

M.Ciaster posted:

No, I do the same thing. Sometimes I play the Quake OST, or Hotline Miami's soundtrack.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I played through Descent with my dad's 4-disc classical symphony set in the drive, and that poo poo was transcendent.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I played through Doom 1 and 2, replacing the soundtrack with KMFDM, and it was a revelation.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EvilGenius posted:

Is Doom a dumb game? It's has superbly balanced gameplay, with a consistent art direction (other than the music) that hadn't been seen in an FPS before. On the surface, it's a dumb run and gun, but when you consider what went into making it fun, and what went into maintaining that coherant theme I'm not sure 'dumb' fits. The music I would absolutely say is dumb in terms of composition and craft. It's metal fanboy music, nothing more.

Doom is a dumb, gory run and gun made by a bunch of teenage/fresh-out-of-school metal head nerds. It's a game where you run 100mph shooting Dungeons and Dragons tier demons in the face with a shotgun while bombastic music blares in the background. It worked beautifully but it is the ultimate nerdy stress reliever with big guns and bloody action.

I'd say the fact that the music changed your perception so much is testament to Doom being the archetype of the early 90s first person shooter. Kind of like Duke3D's tone changed radically between the wide open, sprawling levels of L.A. Meltdown to the tight Alien corridors of Lunar Apocalypse. Doom is a combination of disparate elements you can mix and match freely and the number of mods, tweaks, and changes speak to that.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 2, 2014

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

al-azad posted:

Doom is a dumb, gory run and gun made by a bunch of teenage/fresh-out-of-school metal head nerds. It's a game where you run 100mph shooting Dungeons and Dragons tier demons in the face with a shotgun while bombastic music blares in the background. It worked beautifully but it is the ultimate nerdy stress reliever with big guns and bloody action.

To be honest, I suspected that. By the time Doom was making it to consoles, Quake was coming out on the PC. It looks like the tweaks to the console Dooms were a direct response to that. In Quake, Id expanded on the atmospheric elements of Doom, and the guys doing the Doom console ports took that same thread - new lighting, atmospheric soundtrack, etc.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

al-azad posted:

Yep, these are the guys that made Doom:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow I've never seen this before, but it's a pretty cool video Romero made of iD in 1993:

https://vimeo.com/4022128

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EvilGenius posted:

I really loved what Trent Reznor did with the Quake 1 sound track. I can imagine when they announced it, everyone was thinking it would be metal, like Doom, but actually what we got was much more clever than that, and made the game absolutely terrifying. I can't stand NIN, but the Quake sound track is master stroke, and I'm glad at least a couple of Doom ports tried to mimic its effect.

I agree, the Q1 soundtrack is pure genius and fits the game so well. And track 8 is super evil if you've got a decent subwoofer. That low bass rumble is so unsettling.

It doesn't work at all as music to listen to by itself, but as a soundtrack, it's amazing.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

M.Ciaster posted:

There is something surreal about blowing demons away while The Beatles are playing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I still get feels for ttftw from Skulltag. Tiny Tim makes your deathmatch killing sprees so much better.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Say what you want about Bobby Prince, but the guy friggin loves the 12 bar blues scale.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Reminder that if you like Bobby Prince, he's the composer for the upcoming/Early Access title Wrack.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Then Quake 2 came out and went right back to cd quality industrial butt metal and I wouldn't have it any other way.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

al-azad posted:

Then Quake 2 came out and went right back to cd quality industrial butt metal and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I used to play Quake and Quake 2 with the composer for the q2 soundtrack :v:

Actually the og Quake community was so small it was almost impossible not to know someone who now works somewhere in the industry. Everyone at id, most of the people at the various 'R' titled fps companies (raven, ritual, rogue, etc), and many others.

Also terrible, terrible machinima and clans :eng99:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

victrix posted:

I used to play Quake and Quake 2 with the composer for the q2 soundtrack :v:

You know Sonic Mayhem? Tell them to make more music.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

You know Sonic Mayhem? Tell them to make more music.

At the time Sonic Mayhem was mostly one dude 'mod-buzzfunk' :v: Might still be I don't know, lost touch with him after the q2 days, and that was a long time ago.

He used to post on the shack, but I stopped going there after Steve SOLD OUT TO THE MAN (he works at Gearbox now afaik)

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Reminder that if you like Bobby Prince, he's the composer for the upcoming/Early Access title Wrack.

Original Bobby Prince music is trash, he was only good at ripping off other musicians.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Regarding Duke 3d, I was livid that the xbla doesn't have split screen. I love the rewinding replay system, but dang guys - how did they NOT have that ability?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mogomra posted:

I played through Doom 1 and 2, replacing the soundtrack with KMFDM, and it was a revelation.

I hope that was on purpose. :)

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

EvilGenius posted:

Have you played the Playstation or Saturn versions of Doom? They were ports of Doom 1, 2 and Final, but they replaced the god-awful MIDI metal with an ambient soundtrack, far more in line with the stunning Quake 1 sound track. Saturn Doom was actually my first exposure to the game, and that sound track made a world of difference to my perception of it. It brings out that 'wrongness' you describe. There are maps where human torsos are twitching on spikes - the change in soundtrack changes the impact of that from 'lol, GORE' to being deeply disturbed by a forboding, twisted darkness that is causing such suffering.

I cringe whenever I play another port and it's the self-indulgent metal monstrosities of the original game.

Actually, I'm trying to hunt the PS1 version down at the moment. Recently found a pristine PS1 at a garage sale, so now I've got to get Doom on it! :cool: Fun fact: Aubry Hodges composed the soundtracks for both the PS1 and 64 versions, so I'm quite curious how that'll sound with actual CD-audio. (Goddamn, that's the most 90's sentence about game music I've ever said)

EvilGenius posted:

Try it with some Enya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo6EkXHu5AI

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
I played Quake without knowing it would play music off audio CDs I now cant play Quake without my Crow Soundtrack CD

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember the days when you could listen to game soundtracks in your CD player, and you always had to skip track one or it would make a horrible screeching noise :allears:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I can't find a pistol start pwad for gzdoom, has anyone got one for the latest version? Also, is there a wad to make spectres lighter/more visible at all? They're pretty obnoxious on my monitor/settings.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

field balm posted:

Also, is there a wad to make spectres lighter/more visible at all? They're pretty obnoxious on my monitor/settings.

Change the Fuzz type in the display settings.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

field balm posted:

I can't find a pistol start pwad for gzdoom, has anyone got one for the latest version? Also, is there a wad to make spectres lighter/more visible at all? They're pretty obnoxious on my monitor/settings.
http://snk.to/f-chm8w9ic
Found it in my doom folder, dunno if it works since I always do it manually, but it should be what you're looking for.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks for both of the above answers, I'll try those out!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

You forgot the expansion packs for Quake. Well, not so much Dissolution of Eternity as Scourge of Armagon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUcRWoipGyg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akr41oOFz4k

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Original Bobby Prince music is trash, he was only good at ripping off other musicians.

What I've heard of Wrack's soundtrack seems like it would have fit perfectly fine in Doom II.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've been playing a bit of Ballistic Weapons for UT2k4, and goddamn is it so much better than vanilla. Vanilla's level and player scale means that most matches turn into players plinking each other with boring hitscan weapons while the fun projectile weapons rot away. Ballistic Weapons runs with it by giving you a shitload of fun hitscan weapons that take advantage of the player scale. They feel like a perfect fit for the game (both gameplay-wise and aesthetically) and are extremely fun to use. Even the bots are more fun because all of them having hitscan weapons makes for a much more even battlefield than humans taking out bots with hitscan guns while the bots fire rockets that can easily be dodged. CTF and Double Domination are still messes because of the poor bot AI, but at least you can have a ton of fun playing DM, TDM, or Assault. At this point, I'd consider it essential for anyone that has UT2k4 because it blows vanilla away in terms of fun.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

al-azad posted:

Word.

Q2 was the first Quake game I played with the soundtrack (I only got the registered version of Q1 much later), and the glorious industrial butt metal fit the atmosphere perfectly.

It was a completely different game from Q1 and the change in soundtrack style definitely backed that up.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Y'all talking about Quake's music, so i decided to google it to see if it triggers anything. Nothing.

Huh, guess i played with the music disabled for some reason? I know i had it legit, i remember the disk and playing all four episodes. That howling wind sound is seared into my memory but the soundtrack? Zip.

Funnily enough I agree with a few others here, but I cant imagine playing quake WITH music, it would betray its ambience. :haw:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

I guess it's just being generic rock rather than based on any song in particular.

There are thousands of songs that sound like E1M1 because at some point in the future John Carmack with be experimenting with his time machine and type a command line into the wrong window, causing his gaming laptop to be sent back in time. The early humans are introduced to the concept of music through E1M1 and Ultimate Doom becomes the basis of all human art.

Anyone who dislikes Doom's music probably never got to hear it played back on a real sound card instead of Microsoft Shitsynth.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Anyone who dislikes Doom's music probably never got to hear it played back on a real sound card instead of Microsoft Shitsynth.

Actually, the standard Windows midi synth is more or less using the same instrument samples as the Roland Soundcanvas that the music was originally composed with, albeit in slightly lower fidelity and without some reverb/chorus effects. So, no, that's pretty nearly as close as you're going to get to the way it's supposed to sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadowmorn posted:

Y'all talking about Quake's music, so i decided to google it to see if it triggers anything. Nothing.

Not even the main theme? Aaaaaaaaaaah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5Jvr2Fp48