Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

GUNNAWRECKIT :unsmigghh:

I find it amusing that this whole thing was a huge heel turn for Almond in the eyes of the fans. I've seen almost exclusively "you deserve a beatdown" comments about this turn of events.

Not really suprising with OUR BOY Noisemaster being a fan favourite at this point. Seeing him be all :3: with Mutemaster was another thing that won him over.

And in comes the jerkface Almond, ruining all the cute and charming moment with her need to be a hero again. It also shattered any plan Cuco had in mind, and any expectations of the audience for something other than a fight. And stole Cucos spotlight yet AGAIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
She doesn't deserve a beatdown (that's kind of brutal for a bunny kid), but she does need to learn not to be so brash and overconfident all the time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cat Mattress posted:

She doesn't deserve a beatdown (that's kind of brutal for a bunny kid), but she does need to learn not to be so brash and overconfident all the time.

Yeah, a beatdown is overexaggeration, but her comeuppance was approaching really, really fast after she basically killed the peace talks taking a cheap shot at the gentle giant character. If you talk the talk...

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Cat Mattress posted:

Daring to believe female characters can actually be portrayed as jerks is :reddit: :mrapig: now?

Not at all, sorry for coming across like that. It's more the "All the worlds problems are because of a woman" thing. She's a jerk, no doubt but the implication the whole legendary quest is just her getting at Knitmore Night just seemed a bit much.
Appologise again though, I've been reading a lot of lovely sites like Red Pill for a research project so I'm a bit jumpy at these things right now. Didn't mean to start anything or be all SJW.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Beatdown might've been a poor choice of words, but yeah, comeuppance was a-coming for Almond thanks to her attitude and hubris.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popo posted:

Not at all, sorry for coming across like that. It's more the "All the worlds problems are because of a woman" thing. She's a jerk, no doubt but the implication the whole legendary quest is just her getting at Knitmore Night just seemed a bit much.
Appologise again though, I've been reading a lot of lovely sites like Red Pill for a research project so I'm a bit jumpy at these things right now. Didn't mean to start anything or be all SJW.

I totally agree with you about the Red Pill and poo poo. Fuckers are pretty gross.

It's just that I also can totally see the Dream Oracle having a big enough Jerkface stat to start this thing off and then being too lazy to actually do anything about it when it turned into a loop :effort:

Basically, it doesn't seem out of character to me.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I don't understand why people would see this as any kind of a turn or stretch for Almond. She's one of my favorites but she made the story happen by deliberately handing the Disaster Stone over to the bad guys so she could become the Legendary Hero.

This one biting her is a good opportunity for character growth but saying Almond has a beatdown coming because she acted like Almond is stupid.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Handing over the final Disaster Stone did not have immediate consequences to the team (other than Peridot taking her leave in a huff). Breaking the truce with two boss monsters while the rest of the party was still in discussion mode, on the other hand? Immediate consequences.

She does act brash all the time, and her cleverness is often at other people's expenses. In short, she acts before she thinks, and when she thinks, she doesn't think all the way through. It is her character, and it's time for some growth.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It makes video-game sense. If they gotta fight, and that's just how it is, then why not get the drop on 'em?

Because this adventure isn't a video game? Why would you think that.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah, but what kind of video game? It could be a David Cage game for all we know.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Razorwired posted:

I don't understand why people would see this as any kind of a turn or stretch for Almond. She's one of my favorites but she made the story happen by deliberately handing the Disaster Stone over to the bad guys so she could become the Legendary Hero.

This one biting her is a good opportunity for character growth but saying Almond has a beatdown coming because she acted like Almond is stupid.

I agree, it's not out of character. It's just started coming around to bite her in the rear end. I don't think she'll get too mauled, Cucco should be doing something by now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You guys are all so focused on the pretty colors that you didn't notice there's a new character card up!

What is his deal anyway?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

You guys are all so focused on the pretty colors that you didn't notice there's a new character card up!

What is his deal anyway?

You're the one who was too distracted to realize it was already posted.

Kikas posted:

Well at least we know he's a kid.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

What is his deal anyway?

I am, like, 90% sure he's the final disaster master.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What if Almond is a disaster master?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Red Metal posted:

You're the one who was too distracted to realize it was already posted.

Hoisted by my own petard!

Level Slide posted:

What if Almond is a disaster master?

Seeing as how she was around while the Masters were all in Stone form, I believe that is unlikely. However, she is more than capable of producing disasters all on her own.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
She's da sister, not disaster.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Cat Mattress posted:

She's da sister, not disaster.

GO TO YOUR ROOM! Okay, actually that was pretty good.

To quote Douglas Adams; Cosmo is just this guy, you know?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Who was the disaster master for the food kingdom anyway? Cabbage

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think Doughnut Kingdom has one, which is why we're doubled up with Noise and Mute now.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I think she's said that Doughnut Kingdom does have one; that's why there are 8 disaster stones.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

majormonotone posted:

I think she's said that Doughnut Kingdom does have one; that's why there are 8 disaster stones.
Nightmare Knight himself is acting as Doughnut Kingdom's 'Disaster Master'.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I feel like it undercuts his awfulness if he's doing it all on purpose.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like it undercuts his awfulness if he's doing it all on purpose.

Anyone can be awful if they set their mind to it. It takes someone special to do it on accident.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm starting to wonder if he's a "he". Has the comic ever used gender pronouns for Cosmo?

Space Kingdom princess

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Welp, looks like I was wrong and you guys were right, that is Mutemaster's power. Pretty much my whole hypothesis was based on the idea "he's squishing her anyway, why would he stack things against her moreso?"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If we're lucky, Cuco is a tacit caster. Also, gigi went silent after Mutemaster started using his powers.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The mute effect is amazing I can't get over how good it looks.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To be honest I'm mildly surprised the party hasn't been run through with mute given its heavy hitters are Magicians.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I bet the only thing that can pierce the mutebarrier is the Princess' screams, but that'll end up fully charging the noiseblaster.

Well obviously Nautilus is gonna do something now, too.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

When's the last time Carrot did a thing worth a drat? Maybe this is finally his time to shine.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The mute effect is amazing I can't get over how good it looks.

It does NOT look good it's TAKING AWAY ALL THE PRETTY COLORS :mad:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

IMJack posted:

I'm starting to wonder if he's a "he". Has the comic ever used gender pronouns for Cosmo?

Space Kingdom princess

I thought Gigi might have referred to Cosmo as "he" somewhere but I can't find it.

I'd believe it.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Link for posterity:
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-462/

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

fritz posted:

Who was the disaster master for the food kingdom anyway? Cabbage

I'm pretty sure Cabbage and the Dream Oracle are some kind of Jerkface Illuminati whose mission is to discuss every second of Real Housewives of Caketown groom Legendary Heroes to fulfill the prophecy.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh no, Nautilus's summony-thing is still busted, isn't it?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

Oh no, Nautilus's summony-thing is still busted, isn't it?
Summoning Magic still counts as magic. Mutes' gonna put a tack on that.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Depends if it has a vocal component or not?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Depends if it has a vocal component or not?

Well, it was a shellphone cellphone, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Dunno how much an electric eel is going to help. Seems like the sort of thing that would just make more noise. They defeated Splashmaster by depriving him of water. To beat these guys they'll have to take away both noise and silence. The only way I know to do that is with more music.

I think that's what the Dream Oracle had wrong when she made the wall. Instead of trying to stop the two kings from overpowering each other she should have helped them learn to harmonize.

I just really want Legato's orchestra to show up and save the day.