Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Watching Beaglerush go through I/I, it's really only fun to watch when catastrophic errors and mistakes start to pile up. Like how he sold a single weapon fragment to spite the people in his chat, only to find out he was one short from researching the Firestorm months later.

e: Is there a mod that changes the barracks soldier order to put SHIVs above recruits? It's kind of dumb that your alloy and hover tanks will be the last to be considered for base defense.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
SHIVs just don't work right for base defense. I tried a game where I fired all human soldiers after the alien base assault and still got 0 SHIVs for defense.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ulmont posted:

SHIVs just don't work right for base defense. I tried a game where I fired all human soldiers after the alien base assault and still got 0 SHIVs for defense.

That sucks. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, it must be an intentional design decision then. Which is weird, because it's not like they get any special advantage or anything.

By the way, am I the only one who reloads to try and game stuns? It's such an unfun mechanic and the punishment is so often "your guy dies" that with stuff like the outsider, sectoid commanders, and ethereals I just don't care. It was a guaranteed thing in original XCOM if you could get your guy close enough, wasn't it?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

RBA Starblade posted:

The Ethereals want XCOM to succeed on some level. The entire game until the last level is a test for humanity. Destroying XCOM is counter to their goals, because they want humanity to develop psychic powers (which is surprising because so few races do, and do so that aren't physically frail like the sectoids) and connect to their hivemind. Where it goes wrong for them is when XCOM decides "nah, we're going to keep shooting you" instead of joining them and the other races and shove a couple rockets, plasma rounds, and a robot fist down the Uber Ethereal's throat.

Basically this, the thing everyone needs to remember is it's really no big deal to them if humanity fails their tests. If humanity fails to become psi-capable on their own, then the Ethereals just take everything over and create a new slave race out of us. Sure, they'd LIKE us to become psi-capable on our own, but not enough to start pulling punches. I think that's where a lot of people lose track of the plot, XCOM is both the best chance they have at achieving their goals, and their worst chance at having their plans ruined. When it comes to the psychic base assault, they either push XCOM to stay on their toes and move faster scientifically, or XCOM is destroyed and now no one will interrupt their abductions and subjugation. They lose nothing from the psychic assault except some soldiers who are super expendable.

Plus if they smashed a battleship into the base they wouldn't be able to recover our fantastic laser technology :v:

Ninja edit:

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it must be an intentional design decision then. Which is weird, because it's not like they get any special advantage or anything.

By the way, am I the only one who reloads to try and game stuns? It's such an unfun mechanic and the punishment is so often "your guy dies" that with stuff like the outsider, sectoid commanders, and ethereals I just don't care. It was a guaranteed thing in original XCOM if you could get your guy close enough, wasn't it?

It wasn't guaranteed, but rather than just being all or nothing, the stun rod damaged their stamina. You would sometimes need to hit an enemy up to five times to stun them, and then if you don't stuff them into your backpack or stand on them, they can wake up.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 2, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh gently caress me, the base defense arrived while my star assault and heavy are out, one day from heavy lasers. I only have some laser rifles; I haven't gotten precision lasers yet either. I have one guy with a laser weapon in the first wave. :gonk:

e: Jesus gently caress it dropped chryssalids on the hologlobe and a mechtoid directly on top of my MEC. They're standing in the same tile! A sectoid commander is here too. Reinforcements are a second sniper. XCOM's so hosed.

Danaru posted:

It wasn't guaranteed, but rather than just being all or nothing, the stun rod damaged their stamina. You would sometimes need to hit an enemy up to five times to stun them, and then if you don't stuff them into your backpack or stand on them, they can wake up.

That sounds much less tedious, I hope in XCOM 2: Enemy Known they retool the mechanic some.

e: Aaaaand the game bugged out and the sectoid commander is invisible on every XCOM turn. And Bradford lied about the CC being clear. Another cyberdisc was in there! That rookie's death is on his hands, not mine.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 2, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The stunning mechanic in EU is arguably more fair than UFO. UFO basically had you guessing the entire time, EU at least has the decency to read you the odds.

If you're wanting to make capturing less lethal though, bring Flashbangs. Even a Thin Man has a rough time hitting you back after being tagged with a flashbangn and anyone with less relative aim can basically forget it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

RBA Starblade posted:

That sounds much less tedious, I hope in XCOM 2: Enemy Known they retool the mechanic some.

Stunning aliens was a massive pain in UFO Defense, but on the other hand you could also bring like eight rookies with a stun rod in one hand and a grenade in the other as well as experienced soldiers to clean up the mess afterwards.

UFO Defense also had a stun bomb launcher, which made things way, way more easier.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Prop Wash posted:

I didn't even know it was possible to generate a base with only one steam vent. That combined with it being on the third level means I'm in for a pretty rough few months. I basically need to build a power generator just for the elevators down.

Same here. However, this run is going pretty well on almost all other fronts. I abandoned my original EW run after Exalt thoroughly kicked my rear end several times. This time I actually built MECs, and I have carapace and lasers as well. Just did the Newfoundland mission, and even though my star Assault was eaten, things are looking up. Only the UK left, I'm probably grabbing some continent bonuses soon. I'll just have to be satisfied with a 2x2 block of regular power plants for now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Danaru posted:

UFO Defense also had a stun bomb launcher, which made things way, way more easier.

Yeah, that was the key. I usually didn't bother with stun rods and just waited until I could launch stun bombs instead. I miss them so much.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
There's a MEC ability to unleash an electric AoE and the wording makes it sounds like it will stun aliens.

But it doesn't :(

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

ulmont posted:

Yeah, that was the key. I usually didn't bother with stun rods and just waited until I could launch stun bombs instead. I miss them so much.

If you play like me you had tons of disposable soldiers marked as poo poo for stun rod duty.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lunethex posted:

There's a MEC ability to unleash an electric AoE and the wording makes it sounds like it will stun aliens.

But it doesn't :(

Only robots. Like Sectopods.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lunethex posted:

But it doesn't.
Yeah, it's worded incorrectly.
Electro Pulse will damage all units in its radius. Robotic units in addition to getting damaged will be stunned for one turn.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 2, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Iretep posted:

If you play like me you had tons of disposable soldiers marked as poo poo for stun rod duty.

Too much effort to look at their stats.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brainamp posted:

Only robots. Like Sectopods.

I forget, do heavy floaters and mechtoids count as robotic?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

RBA Starblade posted:

I forget, do heavy floaters and mechtoids count as robotic?

Mechtoids I think so, but heavy floaters are no.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
You can mind control Mechtoids at least.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Danaru posted:

Basically this, the thing everyone needs to remember is it's really no big deal to them if humanity fails their tests. If humanity fails to become psi-capable on their own, then the Ethereals just take everything over and create a new slave race out of us. Sure, they'd LIKE us to become psi-capable on our own, but not enough to start pulling punches. I think that's where a lot of people lose track of the plot, XCOM is both the best chance they have at achieving their goals, and their worst chance at having their plans ruined. When it comes to the psychic base assault, they either push XCOM to stay on their toes and move faster scientifically, or XCOM is destroyed and now no one will interrupt their abductions and subjugation. They lose nothing from the psychic assault except some soldiers who are super expendable.

Thing is, at no point do they mention any of the races ascending on their own. In fact, it seems like they were expecting humans to have to be ascended forcefully, like the sectoids were. That's my problem with it. I still like the game, but it doesn't make sense otherwise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Besides all the bugs I've been having, this run's been going as good as any has. I think my next run I'll ramp it up to impossible, I've only lost one soldier so far, and only reloaded when the game bugged out or to game a capture it turned out I didn't need.

dogstile posted:

Thing is, at no point do they mention any of the races ascending on their own. In fact, it seems like they were expecting humans to have to be ascended forcefully, like the sectoids were. That's my problem with it. I still like the game, but it doesn't make sense otherwise.

The Uber Ethereal tells you every race you fight is a failure in their eyes, and that humanity is the first to meet their standards.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dogstile posted:

The goals of the Ethereals has always been a mystery, even all the way back to the original XCOM games. The original games are just "menagerie of aliens attack, humans fight back"

If Enemy Unknown gets a true sequel, the game might reveal the mysterious "They" the UberEthereal mentions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RBA Starblade posted:

Besides all the bugs I've been having, this run's been going as good as any has. I think my next run I'll ramp it up to impossible, I've only lost one soldier so far, and only reloaded when the game bugged out or to game a capture it turned out I didn't need.

The Uber Ethereal tells you every race you fight is a failure in their eyes, and that humanity is the first to meet their standards.

The way I read the ending, the uber ethereal was driven more than a little insane when the rest of his race went post-singularity and left the base ethereals behind.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
If anyone is interested, I decided to make a video showing some of the more advanced tactical game strategies and tactics that I feel don't get covered or aren't used in other videos of impossible difficulty that I have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfCrkphTF8

It is completely unedited so don't expect beagle rush. :P

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Yeah you might want to consider editing it a wee bit dude, the mic static is really grating.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Does anyone feel like Will is an underused asset on behalf of the game designers? It mostly affects play in the earliest phases, then mid-game not at all, until the late-game it kinda comes back as the defense against mind control. Once you deal with a hard lesson or two against psionic aliens you adjust your tactics and then Will becomes almost irrelevant again.

I feel like XCOM could use Will as a sort of heroic resource to accomplish desperate moves. Soldiers could spend their will to do things like survive a critical hit, vastly boost accuracy for a turn, rally a panicked squad etc. The cost should be high enough that players want to avoid making that decision if possible. The result would be a slightly easier early game but a godsend to Impossible players (Portent, anyone?). Soldiers who spent Will become burned out and vulnerable in the later game. To make it balanced into the late game it could operate on a law of diminishing returns and cost more every time it's used. Creates the organizational mythos of how badass the old grognards were back in the early xeno-war when "only colonels got carapace armour and everyone had to make do with plain-jane ballistic rifles!"

... I really want a job in game design.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

How to make the Newfoundland mission easy: mix 3 parts Sprinter Support, 1 part Grenadier Heavy, and 2 parts Squadsight Sniper. Put skeleton Suits on all of them. My button-pusher activated the whale in the same dash that took her all the way to the button, and from there it took only 3 turns to get back to the Evac Zone while my Snipers provided covering fire from the roof of the first building (exactly one dash away from the evac zone). The Heavy had already taken out all the sharks and tuna along the way so no worries there. Alternatively, a MEC's KSM or Collateral Damage could have taken them out, but I haven't actually gotten around to building one yet this game. (I have nearly 300 Meld, but I've been concentrating entirely on sats, facilities, and foundry projects.)

I think it would be hilarious to have Hover Shivs before you get the mission. Just send a single unit to press the button and fly away laughing.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
How long do terror missions stay on the geoscape? I've got like 1 day left on some research and wounded high ranking dudes.

Also, I've been one goddamn engineer short of making laser rifles this entire month, knowing the first terror mission was almost here.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I lucked out in this Classic run and got 3 Steam Vents all in a square pattern at the bottom of the geoscape, so I immediately excavated down and built all 3 of my thermo generators. Now I'm just waiting for another UFO to shoot down so I can get enough power sources and build an elerium generator, thus solving all of XCOM's power needs.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Three thermo generators with adjacency should provide you with all the power you need; if you really want to be excessive, you can finish the square with a regular generator. Elerium generators are a very poor resource investment if you consider how much money you can get by selling the components they need.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

The Fattest PI posted:

How long do terror missions stay on the geoscape? I've got like 1 day left on some research and wounded high ranking dudes.

I can't find concrete data online but my memory tells me 1 day at most. I would assume you have 12 hours to respond and wouldn't push it beyond that.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

HaitianDivorce posted:

Yeah you might want to consider editing it a wee bit dude, the mic static is really grating.

If you can suggest a free video editor that can take care of mic static I am all ears.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

Three thermo generators with adjacency should provide you with all the power you need; if you really want to be excessive, you can finish the square with a regular generator. Elerium generators are a very poor resource investment if you consider how much money you can get by selling the components they need.
But they are a very nice space resource, which can be more important in the early game. I'm constantly struggling to get all the buildings I need up even if I have the cash for the building because more space = more tunneling = more power requirements.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wolfman101 posted:

If you can suggest a free video editor that can take care of mic static I am all ears.

You can fix audio issues in Audacity.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Spiffo posted:

You can fix audio issues in Audacity.

Thanks, I will give that a try and reupload.

Edit: Yeah, I can't get it to open the FLV file and I couldn't find anything for separating and re-combining the audio and video.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 3, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I've only ever built elerium generators once or twice. Space can be tight but not enough to be worth buying them, unless there are no steam vents on the second or third floors.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I tested out Skeleton suits for really the first time over the weekend; I'll never go back to Carapace. The range increase is phenomenal, even my Heavies aren't slowing down the team. Ghost armor is a straight upgrade, right? Same move/defense bonuses/grapple plus the cloak? I feel like I'm cheating.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I think I've only ever built elerium generators once or twice. Space can be tight but not enough to be worth buying them, unless there are no steam vents on the second or third floors.
In eight classic playthroughs, I've never gotten a vent on the second floor.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Chard posted:

I tested out Skeleton suits for really the first time over the weekend; I'll never go back to Carapace. The range increase is phenomenal, even my Heavies aren't slowing down the team. Ghost armor is a straight upgrade, right? Same move/defense bonuses/grapple plus the cloak? I feel like I'm cheating.

Even more defense, 20% vs 10%.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Chard posted:

Better: the defense bonus on ghost is +20.

I usually get a suit or two of carapace armor. Skipping to skeleton armor is nice if you have all the time in the world, but aliens man. Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

In eight classic playthroughs, I've never gotten a vent on the second floor.

A vent on the second floor basically guarantees a March council mission with thin men. It's some kind of law.

• Locked thread