Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Sails of Glory

If you've played Wings of War Glory you already understand the basics of this game. You have your ships, they have specific stats on their cards, and they use a specific deck. You use that deck to plan your movements and get in to a good firing position, meanwhile trying to avoid getting shot up yourself.

Where it differs is in the complexity of damage, because ships are stronger than biplanes.

There's also musketry fire and, as you play more and get used to the rules, more advanced things like chain shot, fires, rudder damage, and the like.

The other big difference is the wind. Ship movement differs based on where the wind is blowing, and of course how you set your sails (which is a more advanced rule than the beginner set we played with).

In my game last night, I foolishly turned my small ship in to the wind, then got blown off the table, which caused me to basically lose altogether. It's very important to think ahead!

As for images, imgur is being a cockhole, so it'll have to wait.

But overall, it was a great game and lots of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Pics!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Peronsally I'm amazed the Ottomans even let you through the Bosphorus

I saw this game on KS and it looked interesting, but I was so unable to afford it sadly.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's not black, it's wine dark! :v:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Sails of Glory

If you've played Wings of War Glory you already understand the basics of this game. You have your ships, they have specific stats on their cards, and they use a specific deck. You use that deck to plan your movements and get in to a good firing position, meanwhile trying to avoid getting shot up yourself.

Where it differs is in the complexity of damage, because ships are stronger than biplanes.

There's also musketry fire and, as you play more and get used to the rules, more advanced things like chain shot, fires, rudder damage, and the like.

The other big difference is the wind. Ship movement differs based on where the wind is blowing, and of course how you set your sails (which is a more advanced rule than the beginner set we played with).

In my game last night, I foolishly turned my small ship in to the wind, then got blown off the table, which caused me to basically lose altogether. It's very important to think ahead!

As for images, imgur is being a cockhole, so it'll have to wait.

But overall, it was a great game and lots of fun.

I hate you. Now I have to order this. The War Store is out of stock, anyone else who sells it online? I'll have to see if my LGS has it first, but the owner has started to overcharge on things not FoW or 40k.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I've put myself on the reserve list for our local FoW "tournament" Campaign 14. It's a weekend long historical campaign with focus on a single operation from WW2. Last time I participated was in 2012 where the focus was MW Italy. The campaign was fought on about 16 tables with the central one being a very large table with terrain built after recon photos from the period. Every player could choose to leave his table and travel to one of the other tables in real time, with travel time influenced by the type of company, number of motorised/mechanised platoons etc. So you could be playing an enemy at one table and then suddenly be attacked from the flank by another player who starts to set up! Each side had an overall general in charge of the operation so you could go complain to him, and it was up to the general to make sure the companies moved around according to a strategic plan. It was really awesome.

Anyway, I've put myself on the reserve list for both the Axis and Allied side. The campaign is the fighting inland after D-day, which is pretty cool because I already have a company themed after the German 21. Panzerdivision during D-day, but I haven't got an allied company yet! I've sold one of my 40K armies which has brought in more than enough cash to buy a FoW army (or maybe even 2), so I'm basically starting from scratch, building an entire FoW company which has to be done for the middle of March (with me starting my Master's next Tuesday and taking a delayed exam in the end of February)!

I was just wondering if you guys wanted me to post my progress in here. This thread is for a lot of different wargames, and I don't want to FoW it all up if there is no interest for it. Kind of just testing the waters here, so let me know if you want to be flooded in tiny 15mm WW2 guys.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Please do. Feel free to post your 21st PzDiv. stuff too.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'm looking at building a British D-Day Armoured Company myself so I'd love to see your stuff.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Well okay, that was fast. :)

Here's babby's first attempt at sculpting. Never worked with green/grey stuff before, but I saw some people sculpting their own hessian camo for their British tanks and immediately like the look of it. You can see that I started out with the stuff on the front of the hull, and gradually started to get a feel for it on the side plates of the turret. I bought two boxes of Plastic Soldier Company Cromwells, so this first one is a test model. I'm waiting for a shipment of magnets so I can magnetise the turrets, and until then I'll just ruin this one with my terrible baby steps.

I've ordered 8 25 pdr. artillery guns, my friend has a couple of PSC Sherman VC's for me, also on the way is a rifle company, and 4 6 Pdr. AT-guns. Right now I've assembled a Typhoon and an Auster AOP, which are drying in the cellar after being undercoated/basecoated. So that's my progress for now.

I'll try and put in a couple of pictures of my 21. Panzers as I go along. Keep in mind that this was my first real painting project as an adult, so my skills have improved quite a bit since then.

Here is the 2nd Platoon (squadron?) of Panzer IVH's. I got a guy from my old club to airbrush camo onto them since I got frustrated by my own attempts at painting or stipling them. Then I added weathering powders, and finally a poo poo load of stowage.

Also, let this picture be a lesson to you: never use broom bristles for antennas, if you ever plan to transport your soldier mans anywhere, ever.

Edit: Unfortunately, it might be difficult to take decent pictures here in Denmark, since we get so little daylight in the winter months. I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow. Incidentally, the 21. Panzer company is actually and infantry company (Motorised Panzergrenadier) but I never bothered buying the trucks for them. I have a lot of tanks for them though.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 31, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, Germans have a knack of doing that. I bought the old FestungsKompanie box intending to build them as regular Grenadiers but sticking two MGs to a base because I had lots of MGs and it's ended up being a small tank Battalion with a reinforced infantry company in support....

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, Germans have a knack of doing that. I bought the old FestungsKompanie box intending to build them as regular Grenadiers but sticking two MGs to a base because I had lots of MGs and it's ended up being a small tank Battalion with a reinforced infantry company in support....

I started the other way around. "Man, just a couple boxes of these really cheap PSC Panzers and I've got an entire company! But man, some infantry would be cool. Huh, cheap Pak40's, gotta get me some of those. Ooooh, Antony Beevor writes that the 21. Panzer Divisions most dangerous weapon wasn't actually their Panzers, but their Flak 88's. Gotta get me some of those!"

I rarely rolled with more than 8 tanks in the end, because drat I loved having a shitload of different toys on the table at once.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Given the hilarious clusterfuck that was German logistics I'd say you were being true to history.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

Given the hilarious clusterfuck that was German logistics I'd say you were being true to history.

Certainly seems as schizophrenic as the Nazi leadership, yes.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Sorry for double-posting, but I have some content like I promised.

Today I realised just how ambitious my project is. An entire company to be ready in 6 weeks! I've asked my GF to make sure I put in some hobby time every night from now on, and I've decided to cut some corners here and there. I was originally planning to avoid drybrushing the highlights, and instead doing regular surface highlights, but I can really save some time by drybrushing, and if you have to drybrush, 15mm vehicles are the place to do it.

Today I received the magnets for the tanks, and my 2 batteries of 25 pdr. guns by mail, so I continued to work on the tanks, and started on the guns and crew. I've ordered some Skytrex stowage for them, which was dispatched today, so I won't be able to start painting for another week at least. Because of this, I postponed doing the hessian camo for them (also because assembling took longer than I thought). But I got them all magnetised!

Unfortunately I made a mistake. The turret magnets are not flush with the bottom of the turret. Make sure that the magnets are flush, or stick out a fraction of a mm for best results. My turrets kind of float around on the top of the hull, instead of rotating from a firm point. Oh well, I use plastic glue so no changing it now!

I primed and basecoated my Auster AOP yesterday, and this is the result.

This is my progress on my artillery. I assembled all 8 guns, and cleaned enough crew/command/staff/observers for 4 of the guns. I'll prime and basecoat the guns tonight (I have a heated cellar with ventilation in my apartment building, so spray priming all year round!), but I'm considering braving the snow tomorrow to get my infantry company and a British uniform spray from the FLGS, instead of waiting for Element Games to ship them out next week. The infantry spray will cut a considerable amount of time off painting infantry too.

From my 21. Panzerdivision company, this is my PaK40's. The guns are from Forged in Battle, but I used some Battlefront crew I had lying about, to supplement the FiB crew, which has samey poses. I made the sandbags from Silkis clay, a type of paper clay. It's poo poo and I can't recommend it, but I didn't know any better back then.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
FoW finally released the MiG 17. I have a sudden urge to field an Egyptian army just so I can fly a Red Bull MiG 17. Though a Polish MiG sounds more up my alley.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Just realised I might not use the Cromwells in my list anyway. I'm doing a Canadian Infantry Company, and putting in 2 platoons of Cromwells instead of Sherman tanks doesn't make sense. I'm essentially paying 75 points extra for mobility (and protected ammo).

Any FoW experts out there that know if Fast Tanks are worth it for a hybrid company? It's pretty expensive for Cromwells, but maybe Fast Tank is cool to exploit any breaks in the line my artillery and AT-guns make.

List is looking like this:

Canadian 3rd Inf. Div.
-Command HQ
-2 Rifle platoons
-4 6 Pdr. AT-guns
-8 QQF 25 pdr.
-Auster AOP
-2 x 3 Cromwells + 1 Firefly.

Instead it could look like this:

-Command HQ
-3 Rifle platoons
-4 6 Pdr. AT-guns
-8 QQF 25 pdr.
-Auster AOP
-2 x 3 Sherman tanks + 1 Firefly.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Aren't Cromwells light tanks? It's handy for getting flank shots.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

They are, but if you can't get Challengers to keep up you can't really use it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

YF19pilot posted:

FoW finally released the MiG 17. I have a sudden urge to field an Egyptian army just so I can fly a Red Bull MiG 17. Though a Polish MiG sounds more up my alley.

I'll likely get one for my UAR T-55 force, but I think I'll hardly get to use it seeing as it's sporadic, and the IDF player gets interception on a 5+.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Chiwie posted:

Aren't Cromwells light tanks? It's handy for getting flank shots.

Yeah, but in a hybrid list with the main force being infantry and guns? I mean, it's probably nice to be able to race to an objective late game, but this way I can borrow my friend's Shermans, and cut down on what I need to paint significantly and get an extra platoon of infantry. So the Cromwells will be a future project (along with all the others).

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 1, 2014

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Victrix are going to be doing 28mm WW1 Plastics! Pictured are the renders of the Brits.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Anyone have good suggestions for rules/minis for the Wars of the Diadochi/Alexandrian Successor/Partition of Babylon time period?
Was thinking about doing Warmaster Ancients using Baccus stuff but IDK.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Anyone have good suggestions for rules/minis for the Wars of the Diadochi/Alexandrian Successor/Partition of Babylon time period?
Was thinking about doing Warmaster Ancients using Baccus stuff but IDK.

Hail Caesar. Its Warmaster Ancients, just better.
http://store.warlordgames.com/collections/hail-caesar/books

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

If you're using 15mm, check out Fields of Glory.

If you're using 28mm and willing to try an out of print game, track down a copy of Warhammer Ancient Battles. There's supplement called Alexander the Great which is excellent and could easily be used as a framework for early Successors armies. If you are willing to hunt around a bit the guy who wrote Alexander (Jeff Jonas) was in the process of writing a Successors book when Warhammer Historicals died. He MIGHT have put a bunch of the army lists up on his site (ancientbattles.com) but I'm not certain...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Serotonin posted:

Hail Caesar. Its Warmaster Ancients, just better.
http://store.warlordgames.com/collections/hail-caesar/books

I'm glad you didn't post this when they were on sale. I thought HC was optimized for 28mm figures though.

No Pun Intended posted:

Victrix are going to be doing 28mm WW1 Plastics! Pictured are the renders of the Brits.

Jesus those look good. Any word on who's next? I imagine Germans and then what, French?

And does anyone have a good recommendation for a skirmish WWI game? Chain of Command is a totally different style of war and I've never been able to make heads or tails out of Through the Mud and Blood.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
From the Victrix news page

Victrix posted:

Next we have a bit of a 28mm WW1 surprise for you! WW1 British and Germans are being worked on at present for a dual release followed by heavy weapons and characters and then followed by French.

I'm a big WWI buff and because of the centenary I'm gonna be in sweet sweet grognardy heaven for the next 4 years :homebrew:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah between Victrix in 28mm and Flames of War's 15mm stuff it's going to be a pretty expensive year four years for me, too.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

moths posted:

I'm glad you didn't post this when they were on sale. I thought HC was optimized for 28mm figures though.

Nah it's playable at any scale. Rick P told me ( name dropping terribly) that he plays it in 6 and 10 mm at home. The books are just full of lovely 28mm eye candy. There's a whole appendix on using different figure scale. I play it in 6mm.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

Nah it's playable at any scale. Rick P told me ( name dropping terribly) that he plays it in 6 and 10 mm at home. The books are just full of lovely 28mm eye candy. There's a whole appendix on using different figure scale. I play it in 6mm.

FWIW, Black Powder plays perfectly well in 6mm.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Generally it's possible to play most games in most scales if you have some imagination. More and more games designers are leaving that way of thinking behind, as well as the idea that "in my game, you have to base everything exactly like I do in this weird, highly specific way that no-one else does". *glares at Killer Katanas*

radlum
May 13, 2013
How are Perry Miniatures metal models? I've been browsing their site and I really like their variety (looking forward to buy some samurai, arabs and italian command), but most of the reviews I've seen online are of their plastic ranges. Should I go for it? (just for collecting/painting reasons)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Perry are sort of the gold standard, to be honest.

I have two full armies for AWI from them, all metal, and they're awesome.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

radlum posted:

How are Perry Miniatures metal models? I've been browsing their site and I really like their variety (looking forward to buy some samurai, arabs and italian command), but most of the reviews I've seen online are of their plastic ranges. Should I go for it? (just for collecting/painting reasons)

I bought some Perry Koreans and Japanese for a Mordheim warband once. They are pretty top notch.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Colonial Air Force posted:

Perry are sort of the gold standard, to be honest.

I have two full armies for AWI from them, all metal, and they're awesome.

Yeah this, they are as good as it gets for historicals I would say. They have one hell of a pedigree too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TheBlobThing posted:

Just realised I might not use the Cromwells in my list anyway. I'm doing a Canadian Infantry Company, and putting in 2 platoons of Cromwells instead of Sherman tanks doesn't make sense. I'm essentially paying 75 points extra for mobility (and protected ammo).

Any FoW experts out there that know if Fast Tanks are worth it for a hybrid company? It's pretty expensive for Cromwells, but maybe Fast Tank is cool to exploit any breaks in the line my artillery and AT-guns make.
Take the tank that gives you the number of platoons required to make a Company Morale Check harder to force. Or the one that looks coolest.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Thanks! I'll buy them now, though I'll have to use the Perry Miniatures site since the Warstore is too expensive for international shipping.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Take the tank that gives you the number of platoons required to make a Company Morale Check harder to force. Or the one that looks coolest.

He should take the fast tanks so he can put his men on them and run them to the objective. I'm sure some of them will be fine.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Painting time is an issue here. While I certainly think the Cromwells look coolest, I want to take some time on them to make them look their best. So I'll actually have 7 platoons, which is probably suboptimal, but eh.

Speaking of which, I finished the infantry models for the first platoon, and have basecoated their bases (which are drying in the cellar). Not bad for 2 days work. I think I may finish this army in time after all!

Sorry for the lovely, lovely phonepics. When I get some finished results, I'll use my decent camera.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

radlum posted:

Thanks! I'll buy them now, though I'll have to use the Perry Miniatures site since the Warstore is too expensive for international shipping.

Where are you located?

E: in Peru I guess, check out shipping from Architects of War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheBlobThing posted:

Sorry for the lovely, lovely phonepics. When I get some finished results, I'll use my decent camera.

I have the open fire box in my queue how do you even paint details on mans that small let alone that well the gently caress :psyduck: