Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Keep posting wank, keep acting surprised when people call you a wanker.

This made I are laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Ugh I had to put on pants for the first time in a week. I want to go back to the Southeast Asia thread where the only controversy is pretending sex tourism isn't a thing goons would ever do.

Also, it never gets old when people get called out for being a jackass and they fall back on the "comedy forum" excuse.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Moon Slayer posted:

Pandemonium, please teach me how to be The Best Foreigner In Taiwan like you.

First, learn some Chinese. Then, don't get butthurt when people take the piss out of your job after you yourself do so. You have such thin skin. Still waiting to hear what your editorials were about.

TetsuoTW posted:

I would recommend a semicolon there. That's my professional opinion. Would love to know where I denigrated professional writers. My first post that angered poetrywhore was about the kinds of people who would join poetrywhore's little group: i.e., amateur writers writing lovely short stories and poetry about how kooky Taiwan is, how crazy living in another culture can be, culture shock, etc. Basically a bunch of blowhard ESL teachers pretending to be something they are not and getting outrageously upset at the slightest amount of criticism. This includes see the majority of artists, DJs, and photographers on this island. Oh, who am I kidding--all of the DJs. The "writers", though, are the ones I have the most beef with because they are obviously crimping my style, y'know? I've seen too many 補習班 teachers with name cards and "companies" for writing and editing. :rolleyes:

Not everything written in this thread is directed at the posters. People should take things on the SA forum a little less seriously, y'know?

And, Atlas Hugged, I'll do you the favor of only mentioning (and not helicoptering it in your face) how I was in fact semi-correct in my assumption about Mr./Mrs. Character History him/herself, Magna Kaser.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
And I still think my reasoning is accurate regardless of you being "semi" correct. He has an advanced degree in Chinese, you have lovely opinions about people. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

For reference, this guy is a puppet master:

This is just bad posting:

Pandemonium posted:

First, learn some Chinese. Then, don't get butthurt when people take the piss out of your job after you yourself do so. You have such thin skin. Still waiting to hear what your editorials were about.

I would recommend a semicolon there. That's my professional opinion. Would love to know where I denigrated professional writers. My first post that angered poetrywhore was about the kinds of people who would join poetrywhore's little group: i.e., amateur writers writing lovely short stories and poetry about how kooky Taiwan is, how crazy living in another culture can be, culture shock, etc. Basically a bunch of blowhard ESL teachers pretending to be something they are not and getting outrageously upset at the slightest amount of criticism. This includes see the majority of artists, DJs, and photographers on this island. Oh, who am I kidding--all of the DJs. The "writers", though, are the ones I have the most beef with because they are obviously crimping my style, y'know? I've seen too many 補習班 teachers with name cards and "companies" for writing and editing. :rolleyes:

Not everything written in this thread is directed at the posters. People should take things on the SA forum a little less seriously, y'know?

And, Atlas Hugged, I'll do you the favor of only mentioning (and not helicoptering it in your face) how I was in fact semi-correct in my assumption about Mr./Mrs. Character History him/herself, Magna Kaser.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

I would recommend a semicolon there. That's my professional opinion.

As a professional editorial columnist and movie critic I would like to point out that this is Bad Advice.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't know what you guys are so upset about. Pandemonium is a great poster; I chuckle at every post he makes.

Pay more respect to his outstanding qualifications. Here are some of them:

Pandemonium posted:

All my neighbors are 阿媽 and I am always practicing my Taiwanese with them. I make small talk with all the tea shops and other shops around my house. I use Chinese exclusively with my co-workers (the few I have). I have met quite a few foreigners around here. I am only a tender 26 years of age. I work at home. I don't have co-workers. I have a small group of friends I do stuff with, mostly on the weekends. I have very little opportunity to just bump into girls. I don't want to derail this thread any further. I'm approaching PARC status soon, so I've been here for quite a while. I go to the gym, I swim, I travel, I read, I play basketball, and I also happen to go on dates every now and then. I get laid. I don't need your sympathy, damnit! I want to be angry, not apathetic. I will never be Taiwanese. I have helped five students prepare for the SAT. I have done GEPT, IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, and even GED privates as well. I've got private students, an outstanding $1,000,000 NTD owed to me for a previous job, an ongoing project writing GEPT practice tests, and a few other options that may or may not be worth pursuing. I can't live with the idea of working for a multinational corporation. I still have a smart phone and a computer. I see so many openly gay female couples and very few openly gay male couples in Taichung. I write for a living. I know the caliber of writers on this island. I am pretty content with my effort: output ratio: there were a couple books published in 2013 in which I was the sole English editor and partial writer for, and there is a group of forthcoming national GEPT-clone tests in which I am the sole author. I can sleep at night. I've listened to enough foreign "DJs", seen enough work from foreign "photographers" (90% of whom are "working" clubs and events and are clearly in the business of taking pictures of girls without being considered a pervert), and worked with enough foreign "writers" to appreciate that they are, in fact, suitable for no other job than babysitting. I'm just a 20-something misanthrope. I'm just here to break up the circlejerking. It's my calling. I do it on some ex-pat Chinese boards through the use of the beautiful 繁體字. I do it here by calling poo poo poo poo. I don't like echo chambers, y'know? I have friends who are Chinese teachers in Taiwan and China.

Sit the gently caress down, everybody.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Stephen Fry is okay, his followers can be annoying.
I'd say he makes a fair point in this case.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

As a professional editorial columnist and movie critic I would like to point out that this is Bad Advice.
It is almost universally true that whenever someone suggests a semicolon, they're wrong.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How 'bout I park a semi in your colon.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Pandemonium posted:

You need to learn what 故意'ing is. This is SA la. I am surprised with people like poetrywhore having such thin skin. That name alone makes her easily-offendedness infinitely more :what: + humorous.

Sucka betta not act like you know a GOT drat thing about me just because I defends my art.

Edit: haha! And then you go into great detail predicting the exact people who might show up at my events and exactly what will be read based on one show you went to once. Nevermind, you're hilarious. Talk all you want, but keep the comedy coming.

poetrywhore fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 3, 2014

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pandemonium how much do you charge for editing? Because I've got a column coming out soon and want it to really "pop," you know?

Here's a preview:

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 3, 2014

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
re:Taiwan domestic game industry a few page back.

Taiwan used to have a decently sized game industry back in the mid 90s, with game like 仙劍奇俠 the zenith of Taiwanese game development. However, ever since the release of Lineage (天堂 an MMO) the entire industry basically go into an MMO gold rush, then they most transform to free to play developer. Now it's mostly mobile and web game developers dominating the rest of the survivors.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

pedro0930 posted:

re:Taiwan domestic game industry a few page back.

Taiwan used to have a decently sized game industry back in the mid 90s, with game like 仙劍奇俠 the zenith of Taiwanese game development. However, ever since the release of Lineage (天堂 an MMO) the entire industry basically go into an MMO gold rush, then they most transform to free to play developer. Now it's mostly mobile and web game developers dominating the rest of the survivors.

I actually work in the mobile space so that's what I was more curious about, actually. I see Taiwan spends a ton of money on mobile games overall but I've never seen one developer from Taiwan show up anywhere on the radar, whereas there are numerous Korean/Japanese/HK/Chinese developers making waves in that space.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Cheers to SpanishMatlock, TetsuoTW and PotatoofDoom for showing up, bringing extra players and generally being cool.

For thems of you who wanted to come play poker last night and missed out, you'll no doubt be super-uber pleased and just squirming with excitement to hear that ... such fun was had we decided to make a 1K game a regular thing. Where the Wednesday/small stakes thing was a struggle for a few folk, you'll also be happy to hear this was addressed.

1K Game on the 3rd Friday of the month, same format, same location.

I was thinking to make a downloadable iCal, gCal, and various mobile apps so you could have the dates integrated with live dynamically syncing updates in your calendars - but really - it's not hard to remember! I'll post reminders nearer the time, but the next 1K game is scheduled for Friday 14 March.

It's a 1K game so the dynamics are a little different. A friend asked me if he could join late, and while that's cool as a one-off, it's less than ideal for any number of reasons. The best way to deal with any and all of the smaller concerns is simply to join the LINE group. If you don't have me or one of the above on your LINE, then add me, mention something goony so that I know you're not spam, and I'll add you (0970229902). Of note, we skipped on the 1:45 end since all was going well, and basically played until the owner called it. With only 4 players left (one being a late antendee), it seemed the right thing to do in order that those who lost cash could have the chance to re-buy/make it back etc etc etc (yes, I did 3 buy-ins for the evening).

So yeah, there you have it, CNY gave birth to a bright shiny new game.

Since tomorrow is most folks' first day back at work, and unless there is a huge upswell of disappointment, rancour, threats of public hangings (in which case we can just push it back to next week) the regular small stakes game is off for this month.

url fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 4, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I saw a gutted pig draped over a truck frame this morning. It was pretty cool.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I refuse to support such barbaric, inhumane festivals.

(Nah, just too tired to go on an ugly day. My dad said it was one of the coolest things he had seen in Taiwan, though.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
To be fair it was on my way to work. Fuckers woke me up at 7 with their drums though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
If anybody sees february's copy of BIZ magazine (by liveabc) hanging around at their school or something, pick it up!

I've got an article in it about Taiwanese pop music. Soon I'll be a qualified enough writer to call Pandemonium a worthless fuckstick!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sorry buddy, by being a writer in Taiwan, you've officially outed yourself as talentless! Check and mate.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

To be fair, I've checked a few samples of writings by self-published aspiring Auteurs in Taiwan through Amazon and (academic and travel stuff aside) they're all the same loving book written by the same insightless hack with the same asshat ideas and the same asshat stories, and they're almost all completely terrible. It's that exact poo poo you hear FOBs ranting and raving about - or acting all enlightened and insightful about - all the goddamn time, except with the addition of the belief that it's all so special and unique to you that you must tell the world!

It's not so much that their writing is hackish, it's more that their living is hackish.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
But this is hardly unique to Taiwan. There are plenty of people who have written about their unique snowflake experiences in Korea, China, Japan, Mongolia, Russia, etc. The only appeal these have is that they're written from an outside perspective into an insular culture, but after the thousandth self-published book, even that appeal is completely gone.

Really the issue isn't that people who identify as writers in Taiwan are just bad at writing. Rather, people who write about their unique special snowflake experiences that are, shocking, par for the course for a foreigner are universally terrible. So there might actually be plenty of good artists living on the island or in Asia in general. They're just not producing art directly related to living in Taiwan.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, get enough middle-class white men in an "exotic" (i.e. non-white, non-Christian majority) locale and it's all but inevitable.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Some goon in hk got hired because his bosses are all old semi senile white men and exotify Asia to the max. Stupid work advice involves "should I not mention things in 4s" and what not.

We are talking about multinational corporations over big money deals where all parties have young smart wordly alcoholics.

So yeah, exotification.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
I like to write fiction, but I'm so sick of the "white person goes somewhere" genre that I consciously avoid putting personal travel experiences into my stories. No matter how well I describe Machu Picchu or my favorite dumpling cart at the night market, it's not going to be like the reader was there beside me, and it's definitely not a substitute for plot or character development.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atlas Hugged posted:

a gutted pig draped over a truck frame this morning.

dsyp

:)

Also, yeah, whatever can be said about Edward Said (and most of what can be said very much has been said, and yeah it's a very fukn inconvenient name at best) he wasn't far off the mark with the orientalism/exotification thing.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

TetsuoTW posted:

To be fair, I've checked a few samples of writings by self-published aspiring Auteurs in Taiwan through Amazon and (academic and travel stuff aside) they're all the same loving book written by the same insightless hack with the same asshat ideas and the same asshat stories, and they're almost all completely terrible. It's that exact poo poo you hear FOBs ranting and raving about - or acting all enlightened and insightful about - all the goddamn time, except with the addition of the belief that it's all so special and unique to you that you must tell the world!

It's not so much that their writing is hackish, it's more that their living is hackish.

Taiwan just couldn't deal with his edgy punk persona.

To be fair though, I would love to read any of these kind of jerkoff stories from anyone who was around in the 1950s-60s. Apparently Steve McQueen hated it in Taiwan when he came here to make a movie:

on the left fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 5, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

on the left posted:

Taiwan just couldn't deal with his edgy punk persona.

To be fair though, I would love to read any of these jerkoff stories from anyone who was around in the 1950s-60s. Apparently Steve McQueen hated it in Taiwan when he came here to make a movie:
To that guy's credit, his stuff was at least picked up by a publisher and translated into Chinese. It's clearly not just some shat-out act of pure vanity.

And yeah, stories from back in the day are at least interesting because Taiwan was very different then and in one hell of an interesting situation, fresh off the wars, colonial government, and whatnot. There's more to talk about than some Eat Pray Love bullshit or Li'l Babby Culture Shock.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, that dude describing himself as a "scribe" is really too much.

I know of the author. He's friends with a friend of mine. Been here for probably six or seven years and cannot speak even basic Mandarin. Normal poo poo. I wouldn't be surprised if his gf/wife got him hooked up with that book deal. Working that 關係 hard.

Whoever name-dropped Said needs to please take that poo poo out of this thread. That dude is an idiot. An important one, but an idiot nonetheless.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Look who's back to keep sucking on the titty of failure. What's it like sitting down to a hearty bowl of alphabet soup just to face a bowl fulla L's every time?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Lost in Translation has basically covered all the bases for "whitey experience in Asia" except for maybe "drunken old man telling you 'American #1' while peeing in the street".

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

Okay, that dude describing himself as "Pandemonium" is really too much.

I know of the author. He's got no friends. Been here for probably six or seven years and cannot speak without being self-important and contradicting himself. Normal poo poo. I wouldn't be surprised if his gf/wife got him hooked up with that paper-writing deal. Working that 關係 hard.

Whoever name-dropped Pandemonium needs to please take that poo poo out of this thread. That dude is an idiot. An pompous one, but an idiot nonetheless.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

So saying there is a dearth of writing talent on this island gets everyone's engines revved and pitchforks spiked, but a post like this gets nothing? I'm calling shenanigans.

And I love that Spanish Matlock thinks writing a single article--about Taiwanese pop music no less--is something worth sharing. Good on ya, English teacher extraordinaire, Esq.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

When someone makes a lighthearted, humorous generalization people laugh but when I directly call a poster worthless people get upset!? What gives?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Please feel free to boast of your world-changing work and publications and the amounts of money you received for them, again.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

When someone makes a lighthearted, humorous generalization people laugh but when I directly call a poster worthless people get upset!? What gives?

So when it's about anonymous people who don't post here it's okay? Those double standards. If you make a post that amounts to "My job is a joke and I can write whatever I want and my boss will approve it and run it", you deserve to be called out and made fun of. You made the post, not me. That's not how a professional newspaper is run. Sounds like a school paper, to be honest, and speaks to the low opinion most people I know have of the English-language papers here. I'm sorry. I'll try not to step on your easily offended toes.

Duckfarts, please take those words you have put in my mouth out.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

:rolleyes:

Ugh, fine, you got me. Because you keep harping on this, I will admit that I utilized a concept known as "hyperbole" in my statement. Obviously any article or editorial submitted has to get pre-approval from the boss and senior editor, then be looked over by them before being edited at the copy desk by someone not the author. This process usually takes a few days. Are you happy? I'm guessing no.

So this post isn't completely a waste of space and since we're back talking about Taiwan's media again, by owner fiat the only topic we're officially not allowed to discuss at The China Post is independence. That means we're not allowed to write pro- or anti-independence editorials or even discuss a debate about it. Occasionally we'll run a thing about the some fringe group calling for independence, but it's pretty rare. Call the president an idiot in the editorial? Fine, just don't ever discuss anything related to independence.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Pandemonium posted:

Duckfarts, please take those words you have put in my mouth out.

Post some of your writing here

edit: after 7 days

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Gaoliang bottles are made of sterner stuff than vodka bottles. I've had the same bottle of Gaoliang plummet from my fringe half a dozen times without so much as a crack. My bottle of Finlandia drops once and my entire dining room is covered in shattered glass and wasted booze. If I'm ever in a bar fight in Taiwan, I know exactly what to reach for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Please feel free to boast of your world-changing work and publications and the amounts of money you received for them, again.
Hey now, his field of excellence is elsewhere: he gets laid, remember?