Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Huh. It's been awhile since I was excited enough for a game that I contemplated taking release day off. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's insane how it looks exactly like the show. I have a lot of confidence in it being good just because of how involved in the development Matt and Trey are. I hope it doesn't get a 4 on Gamespot :v:

"The humour in South Park: The Stick of Truth is crude and offensive. I became uncomfortable at several points in which the game made light of serious real world issues such as racism and vampires".

4/10

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
This game actually looks amazing, and just like the show. As long as we get a lot of Randy I'll be happy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Steam has it up for preorder for $60. The preorder bonus is four sets of outfits that give certain bonuses.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Gamestop preorder bonus is the Super Space Samurai pack, which gives a Superhero costume, a Spaceman costume, and a Samurai costume.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Steam has it up for preorder for $60. The preorder bonus is four sets of outfits that give certain bonuses.

It's listed at 40€ (53$) in Europe. For once we're not the ones getting hosed on the currency conversion, yay!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I pre-ordered it off GMG when it was £22 over a year ago. The Steam pre-order is currently £39.99 so I guess I saved a bit but man this has been a long wait.

I don't even know if I'm going to end up with any pre-order bonuses. I don't remember if GMG was offering anything and I don't think they even have a pre-order page for it anymore.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

In-game gear as pre-order items is pretty much always worthless, though. Maybe it looks cool, but if it's like any other game you'll outgrow it in one or two levels.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And since it's Ubisoft, chances are high that all the pre-order stuff will be released as DLC down the line anyway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Eesh. £40... That's a hell of a lot for any PC game, letalone a much-delayed, 2D game which could still very well be bad.

£25 would be a perfect sweet spot and I'd preorder it for that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Yeah, 2D is obviously worth less than 3D.

One whole D less.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Steve2911 posted:

Eesh. £40... That's a hell of a lot for any PC game, letalone a much-delayed, 2D game which could still very well be bad.

£25 would be a perfect sweet spot and I'd preorder it for that.

I... I can't even start to point out how stupid you are.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Furism posted:

Well he has a point. Given how crappy the animation is it's obvious they cut some corners. How are they expected to compete with the latest AAA titles with poo poo that looks like it was cut out of paper?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Seriously and they probably only have two voice actors doing the main character voices. No way I'm paying $60.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Stare-Out posted:

And since it's Ubisoft, chances are high that all the pre-order stuff will be released as DLC down the line anyway.

40 UPlay points will get you one costume. Better start saving up now!

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
60$ = 40€ = 40£

Don't you feel stupid for not joining the Eurozone now?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Furism posted:

I'm reading that post back and realising how ridiculous it sounds. £40 is just too much for any PC game, full stop.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well he has a point. Given how crappy the animation is it's obvious they cut some corners. How are they expected to compete with the latest AAA titles with poo poo that looks like it was cut out of paper?

The animation isn't crappy. They went for South Park style, and it's actually done in Maya. It's mostly 3D, it just looks 2D. A lot of work goes into making it look like it was cut out of paper. This is South Park cut out of paper (the pilot).

There's more "shock and awe" in a "AAA games" but I don't think Battlefield 9 or Call of Duty 18 are worth more than a game like this, or that more time has been spent on it for that matter. Then again the game might be stupidly bad, we'll eventually see if it's worth 40€.

Steve2911 posted:

I'm reading that post back and realising how ridiculous it sounds. £40 is just too much for any PC game, full stop.

That's the standard price of any game on day 1, except for indie titles. I'm used to Steam sales too, but that's just the price of a game from a big publisher. Wait for a Steam sale if you think it's too expensive and are willing to wait. But your initial arguments "it's 2D and was delayed therefore it's not worth 40 quids" is just plain stupid, I'm sorry.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It honestly is price gouging because it should be cheaper by default seeing is that its digital and not a physical copy in a store. It's not a huge deal though, because that's what Steam sales are for.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

Furism posted:

The animation isn't crappy. They went for South Park style, and it's actually done in Maya. It's mostly 3D, it just looks 2D. A lot of work goes into making it look like it was cut out of paper. This is South Park cut out of paper (the pilot).

*whoosh*

Still on the fence for this one but glad we finally have a date. Waiting before impressions to roll in before I drop $60 on it though.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Kanpachi posted:

*whoosh*

Still on the fence for this one but glad we finally have a date. Waiting before impressions to roll in before I drop $60 on it though.

I'm a bit worried about having to do the fart attacks with analog sticks. That could be fun, but if they don't get it just right it's going to be drat annoying.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Furism posted:

The animation isn't crappy. They went for South Park style, and it's actually done in Maya.

Maya is a 3D application, if this was really done in Maya why isn't it 3D? You're probably just a paid shill trying to detract from their crappy paper animation.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Furism posted:

The animation isn't crappy.
Congratulations, you discovered the hidden message in his post.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
As much as I'd love to see this game succeed, because I love Obsidian, I think they're kind of hosed. Asking full price for this game in a month filled with much bigger releases is asking for trouble.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Furism posted:

That's the standard price of any game on day 1, except for indie titles. I'm used to Steam sales too, but that's just the price of a game from a big publisher. Wait for a Steam sale if you think it's too expensive and are willing to wait. But your initial arguments "it's 2D and was delayed therefore it's not worth 40 quids" is just plain stupid, I'm sorry.

Yeah that was a stupid argument, and I don't know what I was thinking. I've spent more than that on far less visually intense games in the past and I'm not a grffikkz whore in the least.

That doesn't make £40 ok though. It's standard for the most arrogant of AAA releases, but £30 is still the norm for any sensible publisher.

EDIT: Agreed with Captain Obvious. It's not a game that the masses are likely to shell out full price for, and I really hope it succeeds because Obsidian's poor heart can't take another rocky release.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Captain Oblivious posted:

As much as I'd love to see this game succeed, because I love Obsidian, I think they're kind of hosed. Asking full price for this game in a month filled with much bigger releases is asking for trouble.
On the bright side, Pillars of Eternity is going be all profit for them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

I seriously doubt Obsidian has anything to do with setting the price. That's up to Ubisoft.

We don't even know if Obsidian is getting a percentage of sales. They may just be getting paid for the job and that's that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

People arguing in favor of higher prices ITT.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Airfoil posted:

I seriously doubt Obsidian has anything to do with setting the price. That's up to Ubisoft.

We don't even know if Obsidian is getting a percentage of sales. They may just be getting paid for the job and that's that.

I never suggested they have anything to do with pricing, only that they're hosed by virtue of their game being sent out to die on a doomed release date.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I never suggested they have anything to do with pricing, only that they're hosed by virtue of their game being sent out to die on a doomed release date.

After being passed around between publishers and delayed for years. Obsidian is loving cursed, man. I have a feeling all the code for Pillars of Eternity will spontaneously combust the day before that launches.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Them pricing it at $60 is great, because after a few weeks they can have it at 30% or even 50% and it'd be still almost normally full priced and everyone'll eat it up because of the perceived discount.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

On the other hand, given that Dark Souls II PC version probably won't be out for months, South Park is probably the best game coming out on PC in March. Well...Titanfall, but I feel like South Park will probably be better.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drifter posted:

Them pricing it at $60 is great, because after a few weeks they can have it at 30% or even 50% and it'd be still almost normally full priced and everyone'll eat it up because of the perceived discount.

I think we're at the point though were publishers don't even care about sale discounts because in their minds, unless a game sells over $__ Million in pre-sales then it's an abysmal failure. Millions in pre-sales, 90+ ranking on MetaCritic, that's literally all that matters. After that, they'll just toss the game to the rest of the rabble at some arbitrary discount and find some other title or franchise to milk.

In short, publishers are dumb and we're reaping the benefits. I mean, the people stupid enough to pre-order are still getting hosed, but it's a good time for conscientious buyers who are willing to wait longer.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Eh. You're exaggerating. Unless it's garbage, the game is going to sell.

This isn't a $100 million title. For what it cost to make, it will do fine.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Destructoid has some new trailers for the game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
IT'S ALMOST HERE!!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Eddain posted:

Destructoid has some new trailers for the game.

Looks like this trailer does the best job of showing off what the animation looks like outside of cutscenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6shjMONXYE

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
For whatever reason it's $54.95 USD on AusSteam. $58 to $69.95 if you buy it from a store. Australia is weird :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf
If only it had multiplayer, then I could justifiably pay 60$ for it.

Unless it comes out and suddenly it's revealed it's Elder Scrolls quality, of course.

• Locked thread