Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Buried alive posted:

... If you did have the thought of "I don't hear many women in multiplayer environments because they're just not talking." that's exactly the kind of thing this thread is about. Guys don't have to worry about how people will react to a guy's voice in a game. ...

I actually read his sentence as implying that any sane person never says anything in multiplayer games, actually.
Which I agree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

JamieTheD posted:

This just supports my two personal pet theories: That humans, collectively, are nigh-irredeemable assholes, and that the only thing that really makes us special is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in our heads at the same time, usually with a conditional modifier that makes the main statement a lie.

I cannot in good conscience agree with this. The problem is that it's the vocal minority that gets heard the most, and they push harder to get their way under many circumstances. Most people are, in my experience, good people when it comes down to it. People will set aside their differences when a situation arises that truly matters. Everyone has their moments of weakness, and there are many who fit your description, but there is just so much good in the world that I cannot look at humans that way.

We've had a couple of pretty bad floods in my area over the last 5 years or so, and I've seen people come out of the woodwork to do what they can to help. After 9/11, the American Red Cross had so much donated blood that they couldn't use it all, because people were donating in droves. Hell, at least in the United States, violent crime rates have been dropping for quite some time. I just don't see the "nigh-irredeemable assholes" thing.

And there's more that makes us special than contradictory ideas. Yes, there are definitely those who are like you say, but humans also have an incredible creative potential. Our works of art can inspire amazing things, and change the course of entire societies. Works like Uncle Tom's Cabin and The Yellow Wallpaper are frequently credited with ushering change in systems that were well accepted, but downright evil.

To connect this to the thread itself, many of these games are certainly supportive of awful standards we hold young girls and women to, and perpetuate harmful stereotypes, but they are also the work of some people, not all. Plenty of people, as evidenced by the discussion in this thread, are vehemently opposed to this treatment of social roles, and that's gotta account for something.

Zoe posted:

Okay, I know this is not going to be a popular opinion but I'm going to just come right out and say it: Utterly toxic community aside, the My Little Pony cartoon has good lessons for girls sometimes. I said before I watch it on weekends with my nieces...one of the characters owns their own business and one of the morals was that real friends should understand your entire life can't loving revolve around them 24/7 and sometimes you have to put your responsibilities first...I was absolutely blown away since I'd expected the exact opposite from a children's cartoon about the magic of friendship or whatever. There's also been a couple of plots about a character overcoming crippling shyness and learning not to be a doormat all the time, which I wish I'd had the opportunity to watch when I was 11 or 12 or so.

Actually, I literally just watched the first 2 episodes, and I kinda have to agree here.

azren fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 2, 2014

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Oops, deleted.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 2, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Buried alive posted:

I'm pretty sure that "Obviously" sentence is meant sarcastically, but I did want to touch on the bolded portion. If you did have the thought of "I don't hear many women in multiplayer environments because they're just not talking." that's exactly the kind of thing this thread is about. Guys don't have to worry about how people will react to a guy's voice in a game. Girls do, at least to an extent, and so they might consider not having voice chat on at all. That pretty much all girls are even in a position to make a consideration like that while most guys are not is exactly the kind of weird inequality that might be invisible to a guy, because why would a guy bother with a consideration like that in the first place? Like any social construct though, it's not universal. Kids would probably be an exception to this behavior, but that's drifting into derail territory.

Oh no I'm totally being serious about it. I knew flash games for girls tended to be awful and either make-up, dress-up, or kissing games. I don't think I hear that many people in general talking in multiplayer games however, since the only one I really play is TF2 anyway. And not everyone has the ability to drop ~80$ or so on a microphone so they can actually say anything. That's not to say that I don't think women have it harder because they totally do, from 'get back in the kitchen' "Jokes" to pickup lines or to just being insulted because how dare a woman play a video game. I don't talk in games because I don't have a microphone to use on my computer and having to stop and type in the middle of a game is a huge hassle and that's what I meant by "I don't hear many women in multiplayer environments because they're just not talking." many of them probably don't have mics either, others don't want to say anything because people will get weird and others are scared to say something.

I do wish that women were freer to just do things without being judged for every single thing like a stereotypical kinda-racist depiction of an Asian family. "You're playing a game? Why aren't you in the kitchen making a sandwich?" etc. etc.

To pick up at that part I bolded, yeah we do. Just not as much. People can't shove you in a locker or anything on the internet but they can still string together as many swearses as possible to try and insult someone. "ur gay" "Oh yeah? Well you're x1000000 times gayer!" Ah Middle School. :allears:

The_White_Crane posted:

I actually read his sentence as implying that any sane person never says anything in multiplayer games, actually.
Which I agree with.

That is actually what I mean.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 2, 2014

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

RareAcumen posted:

as good shows with strong women characters and I'd like to throw the two Avatar the Last Airbender series into that. More the first one since I can't say too much about Korra. In the first series, most of the Earthbenders were all super ripped giant dudes that looked like The Rock and they made a blind twelve year old girl a tomboy and the resident Earthbender of the group. And I think that's pretty cool. I dunno though. I feel like there's a much better and in-depth way of putting all that together that looks more appealing.

I don't know why I never thought to mention Avatar, I freaking love that series. They've got Katara being the sort of feminine and motherly type, and Toph being the extreme opposite, and even if they clash at times neither personality type is portrayed as 'wrong'. And there's a good number of supporting and even incidental characters too that can all have their personalities and roles described as far more than just 'is a girl'.

I've only ever seen the first season of Korra, but I thought it struck a good balance between her being a single minded rear end-kicker (the 'strong female character' with zero personality traits besides 'is a badass' becoming a stereotype of it's own even if it's on the opposite end of the spectrum from 'girly...') and her being sort of a socially retarded fish out of water who has to come to terms with the fact that she still has a lot to learn and even with her natural talents, every problem can't be just simply Avatar'ed out of her way.

And Kim Possible is always fantastic, even if I could care less about some dumb ninja spy cheerleader at the time...it was always the Shego show for me. :D

quote:

Actually, I literally just watched the first 2 episodes, and I kinda have to agree here.

I was actually pretty :geno: at the first few episodes, though they held up pretty well as far as typical children's cartoons go, and were like 1000% times better than the 80s version I used to be so obsessed with. It was some of the later episodes like this one and this one that got me to sit up and go hey, this show is actually pretty drat good. (And since we were discussing TNG earlier, they get bonus points for getting John de Lancie on board as a voice actor for a few episodes.)

As long as my nieces can manage to go their entire lives without ever, ever getting near the internet, it will be a 100% positive experience for them. My brother doesn't own a computer so that helps, and maybe later I'll encourage them to go Amish or something. :)

Zoe fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 2, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Season 1 of Korra is great. It also has an awesome rear end-kicking older lady, something you rarely see. And while the love triangle is a bit tiresome, it's probably one of the best example of a love triangle you'll see in kid and teenage targeted shows. (For one, it's got very little cattiness, and the girls quite notably do not fight one another over the boy.)

Season 2 is awful though.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Camel Pimp posted:

Season 2 is awful though.

I've been looking forward to having the chance to binge through it forever now, you just made me sad. :(

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

video games, made for girls

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Zoe posted:

I've been looking forward to having the chance to binge through it forever now, you just made me sad. :(

Just watch the episodes Beginnings Part 1 and 2 because they are amazing and beautiful. There's a sassy carrot man too! :3:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So that we never forget: Boyfriend Trainer :catstare:

If there is one thing that i think can summarize what this thread is about, it's DV screaming at Boyfriend Trainer.

Zoe posted:

They're exaggerating, it's still pretty good, but it's a real drop from season 1. Admittedly, it's really funny to watch Korra do everything in her power to be Literally The Worst Avatar Ever only to be kept in line by red tape. The system works!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked some stuff about Korra Season 2, but it had a fatal flaw that prevented it from being as good as it could be:
Criminal underuse of Asami Sato. Nothing was coming back from that.

That said, I really liked Varrick.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Zoe posted:

Honestly I think it's better than season 1 thanks to the new characters it introduces, but both are kind of way worse than TLA.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I AM THE MOON posted:

video games, made for girls

welcome to my thread

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
I liked this thread better when it was about video games, not my little pony and avatar

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
I'm disappointed in how unrealistic the John Cena dress-up sim was. Honestly, it should just be an assortment of jorts, John Cena t-shirts, and too many wristbands :colbert:.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

:stonk: Boyfriend trainer!? It reminds me far too much of the Cosmo articles about how to get revenge on your boyfriend, and what things to be paranoid about.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

azren posted:

:stonk: Boyfriend trainer!? It reminds me far too much of the Cosmo articles about how to get revenge on your boyfriend, and what things to be paranoid about.

The mindset and behavior advocated in Boyfriend Trainer is basically training for an abusive relationship. If you ever encounter this kind of attitude from your partner, regardless of gender, that relationship is abusive. I think it's especially problematic how this kind of female-on-male violence, or at least emotional abuse, is presented as normal. Abusive relationships can happen between anyone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The way that domestic abuse seems to be played for laughs in Boyfriend Trainer reminds me of what must be the worst episode of Family Guy, "Screams of Silence: The Story of Brenda Q," which presents Quagmire's sister Brenda in an abusive relationship with her fiance. Now I know what you're thinking. Family Guy taking on domestic abuse? Surely it's going to make a big joke out of it! NO! For the vast majority of the episode, the scenes of abuse are played straight. Like, it's so serious that it's literally uncomfortable to watch. It plays it so seriously that when it turns around and makes an unrelated joke right after a dramatic and emotional speech, it feels even more wrong than if they had made a joke out of the abuse. And does the episode end with Brenda getting out of the abusive relationship by herself? Of course not! It takes Quagmire, Peter, and Joe literally taking things into their own hands and murdering the abuser because of course she can't stand up for herself. Jesus, that episode makes me angry.

Sorry for talking about a not video games thing, but I feel like we should be able to talk about the portrayal of women in other media too.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Devious Vacuum posted:

The mindset and behavior advocated in Boyfriend Trainer is basically training for an abusive relationship. If you ever encounter this kind of attitude from your partner, regardless of gender, that relationship is abusive. I think it's especially problematic how this kind of female-on-male violence, or at least emotional abuse, is presented as normal. Abusive relationships can happen between anyone.

Yup! As was said previously, I kinda want the gender role switched version, if only to sit back and watch the fireworks before pointing to Boyfriend Trainer. Then, the flame war starts. :getin:

(Yes, I know this would accomplish nothing, and would be detrimental to the subject in general, I just have vaguely malicious fantasies I don't plan on making anything out of; I just like laughing at hypocracy)

Waffleman_ posted:

The way that domestic abuse seems to be played for laughs in Boyfriend Trainer reminds me of what must be the worst episode of Family Guy, "Screams of Silence: The Story of Brenda Q," which presents Quagmire's sister Brenda in an abusive relationship with her fiance. Now I know what you're thinking. Family Guy taking on domestic abuse? Surely it's going to make a big joke out of it! NO! For the vast majority of the episode, the scenes of abuse are played straight. Like, it's so serious that it's literally uncomfortable to watch. It plays it so seriously that when it turns around and makes an unrelated joke right after a dramatic and emotional speech, it feels even more wrong than if they had made a joke out of the abuse. And does the episode end with Brenda getting out of the abusive relationship by herself? Of course not! It takes Quagmire, Peter, and Joe literally taking things into their own hands and murdering the abuser because of course she can't stand up for herself. Jesus, that episode makes me angry.

Ya know, I usually like Family Guy. Usually.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
This is less about 'girl games' specifically and more about the general scarcity of women in the games industry and what effect that might have, but here are a couple of stories from when I was in the industry:

It was a relatively small team (20-30 people, sans outsourced art/QA, publisher-side stuff, admin, etc) and it was all men. Our producer would sometimes comment on this and say that it was the way he thought it should be. He would qualify that with horror stories from his time at other studios with sex-starved, super-awkward male team members being weird around the one or two beleaguered women on the team. For example, going into the office of one of the women to find a male team member lying on the floor talking to her rather than working.

This producer saw his 'it's better to have no women on the team' attitude as being realistic and practical, I think, but it's pretty sad that that's the case. This was around six years ago though and again - small team - so hopefully it's better in larger teams and will improve as time goes on.

One of the games we made had its own suite of misogynistic problems. Once we were able to get some kind of target demographic out of the (again, all male) publishers, they basically said they wanted to target lad culture. "A game guys might want to play when they come home from the pub", to paraphrase them.

And so the game (a deathmatch game in the vein of Quake 3 Arena) had things like female character models with those weird upside-down bra-cups that somehow still prevent their breasts from falling out the bottom, plus an expensive live-action video advertising campaign featuring topless women and other assorted misogynistic things. (Topless women aren't necessarily misogynistic by default of course... but trust me; in this context - it definitely was.) We on the team had no idea these ads were being made, and first saw them at the same time as everyone else, when they went public. I remember we were just gathered around the monitor with our jaws on the floor, absolutely gobsmacked. It was awful.

There was one thing that really stuck with me, though. I was a level designer, but I was also drafted into doing some writing for the game. Besides random stuff for the website and other promo material, they also got me to write the player barks; taunts, when hit, when killed, when picking up weapons, etc. The publishers used a bunch of them, edited others, and added their own. I was fine with that in itself; I found writing the barks really hard, and thought I did a fairly bland job overall. However, one of the 'when killed' lines - said by female characters only - was:

"I've been banged!"

Again, didn't hear about this until all the voice acting was already done. I was absolutely furious, because... well, seems like a thinly veiled rape joke, of course. I complained about it to the producer, and besides seeming slightly bemused at seeing me actually angry about something, he said he'd see what he could do about the line being 'accidentally' left out when they were all hooked up to the game events.

That didn't happen, for whatever reason, and the line stayed in. I had to let it go, in the end; it wasn't up to me, and we were in crunch mode by that point. Tons of other problems to deal with.

Ugh.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Family Guy once had a joke that had Peter saying 'I haven't seen acting this bad since the last time I was in court'. It then flashed to a young woman testifying in court about having been raped and had Peter interrupt her testimony shout 'BOO, GET TO THE SEX' halfway through.

Basically Family Guy is hideous garbage and let's never speak about it again.

EDIT: Back to girl games though, it's weird that so many of the dressup games include the 'facial' stage-- where you just click on things one after the other until the game allows you to get to the actual part where you can customize things. I know those were the first games and we've kind of moved past them now, but it's bizarre to me on a level that goes beyond 'wow look at this gender stereotyping' and into... 'did ANYONE think this is fun' territory. Dressing things up and making dolls is fun! Clicking on things in order to accomplish nothing...? That's a little weird.

Amidiri fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 3, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I'm a straight dude and completely happy with that. Sorry, if this comes off as really negative by the way. And I've got a really lovely problem where if I hear people talking about how different/harder things are on you if you're a girl then I immediately react with: "Bullshit, I've never seen that." Like my tiny opinionated worldview on something is the only one that matters. I'm trying to not do that but it tends to continue to pop up.

Part of the issue is possibly that it's poorly phrased, and possibly poorly applied. The correct idea is that some folks will tend towards having it rougher because of their circumstances of birth. It doesn't necessarily mean that any individual in those circumstances will have things overall worse off than someone out of them. You can have a crappy/good life whoever you are. So when people say it it's probably not true that everything in their life is bad because of their gender or whatever, but it might well be true that they have some additional crap to deal with because of it.

So it can be hard to see trends. Bit of a forest for the trees problem.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 3, 2014

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBAAAAAALL :byodame:

(Your definition of football may vary.)

(what do you mean the Super Bowl just ended)

I'm actually covering two sites, PlayRosy and PlayKaty, but as their names suggest, they're pretty much identical, even down to the site layout and categories. There is also a lot of overlap between their galleries.

But instead of listening to me ramble on, let's hear what they have to say about themselves:

"PlayRosy.com it`s a new website for girls. Here you will find a lot of games for girls like cooking games, make up games and dress up games. These games are specially created for that girls who wants to have some fun on internet. Playrosy.com was launched in 2013 and promise you that you`ll never get boring on our games website. We will strive to give you best quality games which are found on the internet. Our database is daily updated with the most interesting games for girls.

"Here you will find games like dress up games which are perfectly for that kind of girls who wants to be beautiful. Our games are carefuly selected only for you. Also, if you like our website and if you want to stand for our work, you can share our website with your friends from Facebook or Google Plus."

Given that this is the site that brought us many dentist games, I feel it's only fair to show off its other specialty:

This isn't rhinoplasty, no. You are actually cleaning the germs and gunk out of your patient's nose.

:gonk:

I've never cleaned my nose like this, so I have no idea if this is a common procedure or not. :nms: but seriously what the gently caress :nms:

Just like the dentistry game, the nose games all follow the same procedure with the same tools. You're almost always working on the same bulbous, pig-like nose, regardless of whether your patient is SpongeBob, Dora, Ben (from Ben 10), or a Minion (from Despicable Me).

The SpongeBob game does have one small honor by having different graphics for the germs. Just look at this little guy!:

There are other medical series scattered all over these sites and their affiliates. The doctor series is about patching up general injuries, but they always pick the worst characters for this, like Dora the Explorer or Barbie.

Giving spa massages to people is another big theme. But aside from the Justin Bieber and Dora massage games (WHY), they aren't nearly as creepy as the others are, probably because you don't have to pop back pimples or disinfect bed sores or anything like that.

Both sites have sections dedicated to kissing and kissing alone! And yes, about 80% of the games there follow that beloved "don't get caught!" concept. Thread discussion has already picked apart the messages this sends, most of which are some variation of "sex is shameful but you need to do it anyway (but don't let anyone know you like it)".

I just want to point out two versions that seemed especially odd to me. I swear, I'll stop talking about this genre after this, unless I see an extraordinarily awful or baffling take on it.

The first takes place during a wedding. Specifically, your wedding. Despite this, your priest, photographer, and guests will be disgusted if they see you kissing. Maybe they take "you may now kiss the bride" a little too seriously and believe that kissing beforehand is sinful? The introduction does have the bride stress that she's not supposed to kiss "before time".

There are a few other games of this style that take place at the characters' wedding (though not on PlayRosy or PlayKaty), but this particular game does more than the bare minimum when it comes to gameplay. Unlike most other kissing games, you can directly influence the witnesses by clicking on them until they look away. They'll eventually get distracted on their own, but in later levels you'll have to start forcing them away, because otherwise your kissing points scale will keep on bleeding out. More on that later.

Another difference is that the win condition is not actually kissing a lot. The bride's tiara often slips off her head, and as the groom you must adjust it for her. You do not need to hide this action, and adjusting it enough will move you on to the next level.

Kissing is instead used as a way to gain extra health (in the form of a kissing points scale) and lives. You lose a life whenever the timer runs down to zero or when your scale bottoms out. Kissing steadily and stealthily builds up your scale, and a full increment nets you another life, while being watched while you kiss makes it plummet.

You can even invest skill points between levels to make things easier, as each subsequent level ups the difficulty. On my first run I did end up maxing out everything, but 21 levels in there still seemed to be no end in sight. It's just the same level over and over again, but with more clicking.

There's actually nothing much to say about the second game in comparison because it's just First Classroom Kiss with squirrels. I just want to point out how absurd it is that squirrels have to be concerned about being caught kissing. I also want to point out how absurd the tiny giraffe in the forest is.

The giraffe warns you about a human with a hunting gun that's chasing him, but even though the hunter will point the gun at the squirrels, all he'll do is chastise them for making out before resuming his pursuit of the elusive forest giraffe.

Other silly witnesses include a (pet!?) dog, some guy in a manhole next to a park bench, and this wolf rear end in a top hat who's drinking, smoking, and driving a boat all at once but still has the moral high ground over you.

There's also a game where you have to kiss while driving, for all you daredevils out there! What can you tell us about it, PlayRosy?

"Do you ever dream about a nice and easy ride with your girlfriend, in your new car ,driving in the sunset? That is what Jack is doing! Except he is so reckless and he wants to kiss while racing ! Help him to not get killed! Good luck!"

Remember, ladies, if he doesn't drive 70+ MPH on the median and swerve wildly between SUVs and semitrucks while making out with you, he doesn't love you enough!

Chase School Girls also offers some advice to men: If you set up a trap to put a girl in a humiliating and/or dangerous situation, you can then jump in and play the hero so that she'll have no choice but to repay you!

Gosh, I sure hope she's not allergic to bees, since he dropped a beehive on her head.

I didn't notice it the first time I played, but the girl's clothes turn transparent when the bucket of water is thrown on her. The guy also does this weird trembling that I think is supposed to be him chuckling at said transparent clothes.

:nws: Had I seen those, I don't think I'd have been quite so disturbed by the advertisements shown upon completing the game. :nws:

Acool, the site that created Chase School Girls, offers more games women are sure to love, such as Spank the Booty 2. One of the most popular games is a game where your sister is sleeping in your sports jersey, and apparently just tapping her awake is not an option. So you have to just strip her down while she sleeps.

What I'm trying to say is, Acool is a horrible place with many games where you physically and sexually assault women. Don't look at this site. Ever. It's not even advertised as a girl game site, so I have no idea how PlayRosy came to be associated with it.

(It's also the only place I found that rehosted not one but two games where you massage Dora the Explorer; my theory is that all the other sites think they're creepy, but Acool thought they'd look great on the same site that hosts Sorority Panty Raid and Tear Her Clothes 7.)

Moving on.

While I showcase the great variety of styles offered in this game, I think I'll let various site quotes for speak for themselves. I apologize in advance for some of the language used.

"Have you heard? Barbie is so popular and loved all around the world, that girls want to be as her. Although she has a different skin colour, this beautiful girl wants to be as lovely and smashy as Barbie, so help her dress up with fabulous clothes, cute accessories and a Barbie like hairdo." - PlayKaty

"She wants to be as loved, kind and wonderful as Barbie, so help this lovely Black Barbie pick up a great dress, cute accessories and an extraordinary hairdo to impress her idol." - PlayRosy

"Cutie-Barbie is going on a first date with Ken and very worried. She was so eager to impress with its beauty and charm, but she does not know what kind of clothes and hairstyles to choose for such an important event. You can help her cope with this difficult task. Feel like a stylist and make Darkie truly irresistible to evening with Ken became a truly memorable" - YaYoYe

"This black Barbie looks amazing and right now she is trying to choose for herself the most beautiful outfit that she can find. Well, there are many beautiful clothes, so why don't you play this game to give her a second oppinion? Have fun!" - DariaGames

Of the six hairstyles, three use a bright blonde color, and three use dyed greens or pinks. Every dress is dominated by the color black. You can recolor the objects to a degree using sliders, and the dresses actually look pretty good that way, but since you can only add color, the hairs cannot be made darker. They can only be made brighter.

- - -

Touching back on YaYoYe for a second, this is part of its description:

"More games can be separated not only by age group, but also on the floor. Despite the fact that many games are currently fans among both boys and girls, and there is a clear orientation. For example, boys are unlikely to tinker with the dolls, fairies, princesses, mermaids and they are bored memorize recipes. But they are happy to learn outer space, exploring models of weapons, drive vehicles, military equipment and conquer the world."

Remember, girls hate space and vehicles and world-conquering. :allears:

It has massive collection of games, with a whopping 673 pages of girl games. It even has some of my favorites, like Kiss Bieber, Selena's Date Rush, Crazy Dentist, and :cry:Boyfriend Trainer:cry:. But even though there are subsections in the girl games, you'll be slogging through page after page if you don't already have some keywords in mind.

Previously, I mentioned I was going to do a liposuction game, but once again that train careened off the tracks, probably because some rear end in a top hat drove his car into it because he was snogging while driving.

The Jezebel link that Anonia posted did briefly mention a liposuction game, and it appears to be the very same one! Though the app has been removed from the app store, it lives on for free on many sites, PlayKaty and PlayRosy included.

I didn't play it through fully; the first time I watched fat slide down the tube, I kind of died a little inside and hit the skip key, which brought me to the part where I had to wrap and unwrap bandages on the patient's face.

There's a dress-up segment at the end, by the way. I didn't see any blonde hairstyles, even though the transition screens show an "after" result with blonde hair.

Capping this off, this is the other outfit I put together while playing Red Card Referee:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to drown myself in brain bleach and leftover chips and dip, in the hopes that I may forget about everything in this post.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 3, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

MiracleFlare posted:

What I'm trying to say is, Acool is a horrible place with many games where you physically and sexually assault women. Don't look at this site. Ever. It's not even advertised as a girl game site, so I have no idea how PlayRosy came to be associated with it.

But if I hadn't fallen for the shmuck-bait due to my morbid curiosity, I wouldn't have discovered this game! It's a more complicated, gender-reversed version of Laser-Eye Seductress! :haw:

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

MiracleFlare, you brave soul! Those are horrible games and you are great.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
It's not even bravery; a couple years ago I sold my soul for the ability to look up information about an obscure book, so I guess it's now it's working in the form of me stumbling into the exact wrong ring of sites. :(

azren posted:

But if I hadn't fallen for the shmuck-bait due to my morbid curiosity, I wouldn't have discovered this game! It's a more complicated, gender-reversed version of Laser-Eye Seductress! :haw:

I almost skipped over that one entirely just because of the title! After seeing the rest of the gallery, it was a legitimate concern.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
The gently caress is up with that wolf's face? He's got a yelling mouth on the end of his nose but also a smiling mouth below it.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

That's exactly it. The space below the nose doesn't have a mouth unless he's snarling at you. I assume that he gets so outraged when he sees a happy couple that a second mouth just tears itself into his face.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

STREET KISS

"You have to kiss your partner when the purple hair girl is not watching."

... Why specifically the 'purple hair girl'?
Is it not a misspelling? Is she actually just a massive animated lump of purple hair, who will strangle you with her monstrous tendrils if she detects affection?

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

The_White_Crane posted:

STREET KISS

Is it not a misspelling? Is she actually just a massive animated lump of purple hair, who will strangle you with her monstrous tendrils if she detects affection?

She's a one eyed one horned flying purple hair macking hater.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

STREET KISS

Man, I don't even worry about that part. I'm far more unsettled by the predatory nature of the picture for that one, when contrasted with the much more romantic pictures for the others.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

:siren: FRENCH TIME :siren:

with Ragny and Psychedelic Eyeball

In this update... um...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The geeky boy avatar looks more like a human woman than most of the women in these games.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Devious Vacuum posted:

:siren: FRENCH TIME :siren:

with Ragny and Psychedelic Eyeball

In this update... um...

I'm glad we got a Bayonetta dress up game at the end there, complete with a poo poo load of guns. About time.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 3, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
And somehow that Final Fantasy game is more tasteful toward Lightning then her actual game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Not a single one of these games has a sensible user interface.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Actually, I really like the anime pretty boy game (not the final fantasy one, the one that explicitly seems to be about creating an anime pretty boy). I've always wanted an anime pretty boy all of my own, and now...

I think that sums up all the core stuff about me (amazing, that they have a Wales friendly option!)... Except my magnificent goatee... And when I looked for something which allows a magnificent stache/goatee on DressupGames, what do I find?

gently caress all, that's what I find. In fact, I could find no dress up game that allowed me to recreate my wonderful goatee!

So I took solace in the fact that, eerily, I am easy to create in The Sims 3. It helped me move on that, as Admiral Curtiss says, the UIs for these games are, in general, godawful.

But, uh... I'm perfectly cool with the argument that human creativity may well be unique on Earth. Maybe. Arguably.

EDIT FOR REALTALK: Those... really weren't too offensive, so congrats on finding things that, while not specifically gendered toward women, could be argued as "good girl games". Relatively.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So that geeky boy game. Were you trying to dress him up is Rouge's (from the X-Men) colors? Cause that's what it looked like.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I take it you're going to be doing the makeup for Psych when he has that inevitable hot con date with Ragny~?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

See, that movie one almost makes sense because being caught by your ex will always make life painfully awkward in a sitcom sort of way. Neither of you are allowed to have real lives that don't revolve around each other, after all!

quote:

I just want to point out how absurd it is that squirrels have to be concerned about being caught kissing.

They're just afraid that if they're discovered, they'll be kidnapped and tested on by science, as humans have never actually seen small woodland creatures mackin' it.

Midnight Voyager posted:

So I take it you're going to be doing the makeup for Psych when he has that inevitable hot con date with Ragny~?

First she has to wash his face and pluck his eyebrows, though!

• Locked thread