Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

PopRocks posted:

Here's a question for the jewelry experts: We both really like the look of 2-tone rings, and the idea of having a matching his-and-hers set.

Will it still be possible to have a 2 tone ring resized further down the line? I just want to know before I ask a jeweler to make a custom ring only to be met with "that can't be done because duh, idiots..."

This will be just fine. The only difficulty will be in resizing down the road, but any skilled jeweler would be able to fabricate the custom three layer stock needed.

My advice is to buy three wedding bands. Two to wear and one to keep for your future jeweler to have a ready-made source of the custom metal pattern he'll need to seamlessly resize your rings. And if you wind up not needing it you can always have the third band cut in half to make a pair of matching earrings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ugh, just found out that my rich aunt from Chicago is coming for the wedding. I guess my Oma kinda invited her. I've never actually met her and just heard stories that she's a huge pain to be around and demands that people do whatever she wants.

She at least better bring a nice gift, but judging from what I know of her, it will be something useless that neither of us need or want because she doesn't know us at all.

Also, the other day, the hotel nearest to our venue burnt to the ground. Hopefully, it'll be rebuilt by July, but there is plenty of room to camp out at the farm and another hotel 15 minutes down the road.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

samizdat posted:

I know I'm supposed to ask my younger sister but honestly she's kind of full of dumb drama (Facebook is never ending Marilyn Monroe quotes and whining about men, she's 23 going on 17) and will likely need to be managed herself just to make sure she shows up in clothing appropriate for a religious Jewish wedding and not a club. (My family is Catholic but I converted.)

Sup religious Jewish wedding buddy! The boyfriend and I are not even close to engaged but I would loooooove to hear more about your experience in planning your wedding as I'd imagine we'll encounter some similar issues (I did not convert, but I am significantly more religiously observant than the rest of my family).

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I've got a sticky situation (so much for nothing going wrong) that I need some advice on:

We used personal sentimental items (horse show ribbons I personally won) to mark our reception tables. Two came up missing during cleanup, and after exhausting all other possibilities we've come to the conclusion that someone took them (maybe accidentally?) along with one of the special cupcakes the cake baker left for us for our honeymoon (complete dick move).

Seeing as they're MY ribbons I won, I want them back. I have no idea who could've done it, we thought our friends weren't that lovely but I guess we were wrong. Is it completely tacky to include a note in our thank you cards asking for them back?

I'd like the cupcake back too but I'm assuming that's a lost cause.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I wouldn't think it would be tacky at all to send out a polite request that "hey these personal items went missing, if you saw them or accidentally took them home please let us know". Maybe they thought they were part of the wedding favors or something. I've been to weddings where you're free to take the centerpieces home, it could have been an honest mistake.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've got a sticky situation (so much for nothing going wrong) that I need some advice on:

We used personal sentimental items (horse show ribbons I personally won) to mark our reception tables. Two came up missing during cleanup, and after exhausting all other possibilities we've come to the conclusion that someone took them (maybe accidentally?) along with one of the special cupcakes the cake baker left for us for our honeymoon (complete dick move).

Seeing as they're MY ribbons I won, I want them back. I have no idea who could've done it, we thought our friends weren't that lovely but I guess we were wrong. Is it completely tacky to include a note in our thank you cards asking for them back?

I'd like the cupcake back too but I'm assuming that's a lost cause.

It could be some family member thought they were doing you a favor by making sure the personal items on their table didn't get thrown out, and just hasn't had a chance to let you know that yet. I still have my boyfriend's brother's ring boxes since he was the best man, we just keep forgetting / haven't gotten around to driving them over yet, and their wedding was a over a month ago. Maybe a Facebook message or email chain to track down your ribbons would be enough? It's only been a couple of days.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Hi thread :) I recently (NYE) got engaged to fellow TFLC goon Secret Asian Man and I thought I'd share some of the pics we just got back. Sneaky man got a photographer :)

^^That one is my favourite :)

We are getting married in Tasmania in October, then we'll have another wedding in the USA for his family/friends (and our mutual USA friends, and my mother who lives in the UK) to attend in summer 2015. I'm a bit of a lurker in this thread so it's fun to be able to post something :)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

PopRocks posted:

It could be some family member thought they were doing you a favor by making sure the personal items on their table didn't get thrown out, and just hasn't had a chance to let you know that yet. I still have my boyfriend's brother's ring boxes since he was the best man, we just keep forgetting / haven't gotten around to driving them over yet, and their wedding was a over a month ago. Maybe a Facebook message or email chain to track down your ribbons would be enough? It's only been a couple of days.

I think my plan is when I post our wedding pictures on Facebook I'm going to add a note to any pictures of our table markers saying something along the lines of "hey we think these got lost during cleanup, if anyone has seen them please let us know". That way we're not directly accusing anyone but letting most of the people know we want them back.

I've also let the biggest gossips on each side of the family know we're missing them so hopefully word spreads that way.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
We are getting married in October, and would like to go to a tropical all inclusive resort for our honeymoon. We are looking to spend under 5k with flights out of BOS. So far our top choice is Excellence Riviera Cancun, but the beach seems a it ify. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Linco posted:

We are getting married in October, and would like to go to a tropical all inclusive resort for our honeymoon. We are looking to spend under 5k with flights out of BOS. So far our top choice is Excellence Riviera Cancun, but the beach seems a it ify. Does anyone have any other ideas?

If you haven't already, I would ask in the Travel & Tourism forum. I got a lot of ideas for my impending honeymoon and past trips from friendly goons there.

Goin up to Chapel Hill this weekend to check out and probably put in an order for my wedding bands, it's starting to get real!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How many years in advance do you have to book an off-site caterer? I'm 9 months out and this is frustrating that they're all booked.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

blinkeve1826 posted:

Sup religious Jewish wedding buddy! The boyfriend and I are not even close to engaged but I would loooooove to hear more about your experience in planning your wedding as I'd imagine we'll encounter some similar issues (I did not convert, but I am significantly more religiously observant than the rest of my family).

The main issues I've been worrying about have been kind of logistical: it's in 5 months, legally I'm married already but not Jewishly, and I live a thousand miles away from the venue and everything else. I don't have a caterer, dress, shoes, anything. We are assembling a guest list. I only have the venue, rabbi, and photographers. I need to make invites in a week or so (might as well skip the save the date route since it's so soon) and have no idea what to do. I am somewhat crafty so I can manage but I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants. My husband has no real strong opinion on anything wedding related which is good because it means I'm not doing anything ridiculous. I'm looking to spent under 10 grand on everything because we honestly don't really have money for this but our families are more broke.

The only Jewish issues (aside from worries about family involvement when they have limited understanding and some things they technically don't count for) are fewer catering options because it has to be kosher, including the cake. I'd also like to have a DJ or band that is familiar with Jewish stuff. My photographers haven't shot any Jewish weddings before but I will fill them in. (I'm willing to do that because I know them already and got their services for about half off, which includes 2 week turn around with full rights to the photos. Since I do photography myself, I already have an account with a good printer and can get my pictures printed at wholesale prices.)

It got a little awkward when I started telling people about the date because my cousin announced a few hours later that she was having her second kid--due the day before my wedding. She was waiting for her 12 week ultrasound that day so it's not deliberate, but still. At least I can likely assume that she, her husband and first kid, and possibly my aunt and uncle might not attend? I really want people to go but I know they're each going to cost me at least $20.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

How many years in advance do you have to book an off-site caterer? I'm 9 months out and this is frustrating that they're all booked.

At least 1 year if you're getting married in a popular wedding month. Most of our vendors are already booked solid for wedding season 2014 (~April-October). Our photographer is booked solid for all of 2014 and is beginning to book 2015. I was struggling to find available vendors when I started planning over a year in advance when our wedding was still scheduled for June.

If you're willing to freeze to death for pictures, having a (non-holiday) winter wedding practically guarantees your choice of vendors!

Dodger
Jun 7, 2007
Anyone have any thoughts on breakfast for a wedding reception? The ceremony is going to be late afternoon/evening followed by dinner and dancing. We both really like breakfast for dinner but aren't sure everyone else would enjoy it. We're thinking it'd be a buffet, closer to a brunch than just breakfast food, and as long as there was something for people that didn't want just breakfast food, maybe a nice ham, it'd go over ok.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this and how it went.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Dodger posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on breakfast for a wedding reception? The ceremony is going to be late afternoon/evening followed by dinner and dancing. We both really like breakfast for dinner but aren't sure everyone else would enjoy it. We're thinking it'd be a buffet, closer to a brunch than just breakfast food, and as long as there was something for people that didn't want just breakfast food, maybe a nice ham, it'd go over ok.

I think some people would be weirded out by a breakfast dinner. Also finding a caterer who'll do a big breakfast buffet might be a little tricky.

What about having a waffle bar? Set out cups of waffle batter with some waffle irons set up with a bunch of toppings and let people make their own waffles, but also have some dinner food available as the main meal. That way you've got breakfast for those who want it but people who don't can just skip the waffles.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Dodger posted:

I would find this kind of charming if I were a guest.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

What about having a waffle bar? Set out cups of waffle batter with some waffle irons set up with a bunch of toppings and let people make their own waffles, but also have some dinner food available as the main meal. That way you've got breakfast for those who want it but people who don't can just skip the waffles.

The waffle bar kind of sounds like a hot mess (literally) waiting to happen at a reception.

I think breakfast/brunch food for a reception sounds great. There are plenty of items that fall into that category that should please everyone. Hell, steak, ham, fried potatoes, etc. are all staples. As long as the food is high quality and not just continental-breakfast-at-Holiday-Inn-Express, you should be fine. There are of course people who might be thrown off by the unorthodox nature of it, but whatever.

Chessna
Dec 24, 2008

Sharks Below posted:

Hi thread :) I recently (NYE) got engaged to fellow TFLC goon Secret Asian Man and I thought I'd share some of the pics we just got back. Sneaky man got a photographer :)

These are wonderful pictures, congratulations on the engagement! Goon love :)

Dodger
Jun 7, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Hell, steak, ham, fried potatoes, etc. are all staples. As long as the food is high quality and not just continental-breakfast-at-Holiday-Inn-Express, you should be fine.

This is what we keep coming back to, and I think makes the most sense. We'll probably spread the word a little before the wedding so people at least know it's coming. Thanks for the input.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

So my fiancée and I decided to go with a video for our save the dates. It was a concept I came up with and asked the videographer to help put together. We had a ton of fun making it and I think it was totally worth it.

http://vimeo.com/85148375

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's probably a better thread for this question, but what's the general process for an American citizen like me to get married to a non-US citizen and have her live with me here in the States? My girlfriend is an international student currently in grad school here, and with me locking down a stable job with good pay and her finishing her program by the end of the year, now seems as good a time as any to get ready for question-popping. In a perfect world I would be proposing on our anniversary this fall, but is there anything I can start reading or paperwork I can start working through in order to get a head start on it?

uraninjs
Sep 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

There's probably a better thread for this question, but what's the general process for an American citizen like me to get married to a non-US citizen and have her live with me here in the States? My girlfriend is an international student currently in grad school here, and with me locking down a stable job with good pay and her finishing her program by the end of the year, now seems as good a time as any to get ready for question-popping. In a perfect world I would be proposing on our anniversary this fall, but is there anything I can start reading or paperwork I can start working through in order to get a head start on it?

There's an Ask me about US immigration thread, it's relatively active.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

uraninjs posted:

There's an Ask me about US immigration thread, it's relatively active.

Fart, I totally glazed over that. Thanks.

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon

ihatepants posted:

So my fiancée and I decided to go with a video for our save the dates. It was a concept I came up with and asked the videographer to help put together. We had a ton of fun making it and I think it was totally worth it.

http://vimeo.com/85148375

This was so well made and fun! The music was great too. If you don't mind sharing, how much did this cost, ballpark?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I'm getting married this June, in Detroit. I'm currently in Santa Clara, my best man is in Rochester NY, and my other two groomsmen are in Baltimore and Madison.

What's the best way to make sure they all have matching suits? I'm getting a suit custom made for me because it's my wedding and I want to look nice, but we're all in our mid-twenties and at least one of us is still in grad school, so I'm not expecting the three of them to buy their own suits to match mine.

A friend suggested that I can go to some place like Men's Wearhouse and find a suit that I like, get the serial number for that style of suit, and then have my groomsmen each go to their local MW and get fitted with that exact suit. Good idea? Bad idea? Good idea, but a different chain would be a better platform for it?

Once they're all fitted, is it reasonable ask for suit-pickup in Detroit, so they don't need to fly with the suits? Or is that unlikely to be a think, and I'll just have to ask them to invest in a garment bag?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Coca Koala posted:

I'm getting married this June, in Detroit. I'm currently in Santa Clara, my best man is in Rochester NY, and my other two groomsmen are in Baltimore and Madison.

What's the best way to make sure they all have matching suits? I'm getting a suit custom made for me because it's my wedding and I want to look nice, but we're all in our mid-twenties and at least one of us is still in grad school, so I'm not expecting the three of them to buy their own suits to match mine.

A friend suggested that I can go to some place like Men's Wearhouse and find a suit that I like, get the serial number for that style of suit, and then have my groomsmen each go to their local MW and get fitted with that exact suit. Good idea? Bad idea? Good idea, but a different chain would be a better platform for it?

Once they're all fitted, is it reasonable ask for suit-pickup in Detroit, so they don't need to fly with the suits? Or is that unlikely to be a think, and I'll just have to ask them to invest in a garment bag?

Men's Wearhouse is the devil. Sure, go with them if you want to be called 2-3 times a day every day asking if you've ordered your tuxedos yet.

Go to Jos. A. Bank and start a wedding account there. You pick out what you want them to wear and they'll enter it all under your account, then your groomsmen all go to their local Jos. A Bank locations and tell them your name and they can pull it up on their computer and order them all the exact same suit. You can probably get it set up for all the suits to be delivered to the local location, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
https://theblacktux.com/

Looks pretty legit too.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

testifeye posted:

This was so well made and fun! The music was great too. If you don't mind sharing, how much did this cost, ballpark?

It was expensive, but videography and photography were the priorities of our budget anyway, since that's what we'll have forever. Anyway, everything cost about $700 which included the videographer's fees, the permit to shoot at the amusement park and tickets for my fiancee, our two friends and the three videographers (meals, too).

I also didn't really mind spending the money on it since we are saving so much on everything else (our wedding will be in the Philippines where basically everything is a fraction of the cost here in the USA). Our overall budget is about $25k and thats for almost 500 guests.

Edit: also, thank you very much for the kind words :)

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 2, 2014

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Go to Jos. A. Bank and start a wedding account there. You pick out what you want them to wear and they'll enter it all under your account, then your groomsmen all go to their local Jos. A Bank locations and tell them your name and they can pull it up on their computer and order them all the exact same suit. You can probably get it set up for all the suits to be delivered to the local location, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

J Banks is also the devil. And to look right you need to have the suits tailored after delivery. Which, if you go with J banks, you will need to do even more so than if you use another retailer unless your friends are all shapeless man-blobs.

At the very least pick a retailer and a model/color, and have each dude take delivery a month prior to the event. Tell them to roll out to a local tailor and HAVE THEIR SUIT CUT TO FIT THEM, holy poo poo. this is the difference between looking like a child and looking like a person fit to be married. Flying with a suit aint poo poo, thousands of business persons do it every day.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

All our groomsmen went to Jos A Bank and they didn't look awful :shrug: All of them are pretty trim and thin, too.

I thought you couldn't custom tailor a rental suit/tux anyway. I'd hope the OP isn't forcing his groomsmen to buy a suit for the wedding?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
You're right! I assumed he was talking purchase. Also a different story for suit vs. tuxedo, because a suit can be reworn for a whole lot of occasions, and a tuxedo will be difficult to justify a purchase.

I think the last time I rented for a groomsman tux they wanted me to be at the place to get measured like, a day early, and then the next day was the event before which we picked up our decently-properly-sized tuxes. But that was pretty generic stuff: you got your standard black/black tuxedo with a rainbow of cumberbuzzles and bowties. Not sure how a suit rental would work in this situation.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Just to toss this out there:

I'm really, really, picky about menswear. Every time someone asks me to drop $150 on a terrible, ill-fitting, polyester shitbag rental from Men's Wearhouse, I want to vomit, but I suck it up and do it because I'm a good friend. Jos A. Bank is marginally less terrible. It's financially impossible to expect normal people to buy good matching suits, and unless everyone is local, it's usually impossible to get a rental that doesn't suck.

My solution is that I'm not asking my groomsmen to match. Someone's mom might get really offended by the concept, but it's actually a wedding trend that's picking up a lot of popularity. It does require your groomsmen to have some fashion sense and ability to judge a suit's fit, or you'll be doing a bit too much handholding. I'm asking them to wear a charcoal to medium-grey suit, which means for the most part, they already have something in their closest, but failing that, I've tossed them some suggestions for good, cheap-ish suits that will last them for years (like this). I'll be tying it together by giving providing them with their ties (HA GET IT).

Obviously, don't do this when you want everyone dressing in light brown or linen or something, this is best kept to charcoal/grey/navy wool suits so people will already have one or be buying something very usable.

For what it's worth, every time I've had to deal with a rental from MW, I've had to fight them to get adjustments made that no professional tailor would ever let slide. At the last wedding I was in, the groom didn't know better and had a jacket that was way too big in the shoulders, that had a collar gap of like two inches, and nasty bubbling all over because it was a poorly treated fused tux.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 3, 2014

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Since we had a mix of military and civilian groomsmen no one was going to match anyway, so we let the groomsmen who already owned tuxes wear theirs and let the others pick out their own. They all ended up matching (I mean, there were some subtle differences like shirt styles and lapel width, but who gives a poo poo) despite zero direction from us.

No one looks at the groomsmen anyway so having 100% matching guys was at the bottom of our list of things to care about.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
We just obviated the problem by not having any groomsmen or bridesmaids :shobon: I am now wrestling with what to do for my suit: the men's stores in this town are not exactly wielding the most current fashion sense. Also I'm a dirty Yankee.

Accomplishments this week:

Invitation design finalized, sent to print
Wedding bands designed and put into production
Honeymoon finalized, deposit paid

The moms continue to propose frivolous additions and question decisions already set in stone, my fiancee is at her wit's end, but we've made it explicit that anything changed from here on out is on the family to pay for.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Just wait till the week of the wedding. EVERYONE becomes a wedding planner. I think my only "bridezilla" mement was going on a tirade at my fiancé about his family suddenly having Opinions on Things less than a week beforehand when they were totally silent and provided no help the previous 14 months. I think I was justified.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

What did they think could be changed the week of? :psyduck:

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Sent in our signed paperwork and deposit for our venue. It's really happening! Not until September 2015, but still, it's happening!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I've started writing a wall of text in response to fork bomb's post, so instead here's a list of weddings lessons learned:

• If you don't want help, or offers of help, while setting up decorations, do them before your guests start to arrive. You will get people nosing in offering to "help" which more often than not slows you down instead of helping you.

• If you do want help, give people specific tasks and times/places to do them or else they're going to make up tasks for themselves and mess up your plans. I had very specific types and lengths of flowers I wanted in each vase and my MIL and her mother went to town cutting my flowers without direction from me trying to be helpful. I'm glad I had extras.

• Make sure everyone pays attention at the rehearsal and doesn't just use it as a mini family reunion. That's what the rehearsal dinner is for. Our readers went out of order at the ceremony since my MIL was not paying attention AT ALL at the rehearsal. Of course we had a few people who couldn't make it to the rehearsal for legit reasons, but I didn't want anyone blowing it off and then being confused as to where to go and what to do the day of.

• Don't be a doormat. Learn to tell people to shove it, especially when they suddenly decide they want to change some of your plans. My mantra my entire engagement was "if you refuse to help plan, you have no right to bitch if you don't like it when it happens". For example my MIL wanted us to change our readings at the last minute because she didn't like what we chose. I had given her the option to pick our readings because honestly neither of us cared, but she said "I don't want to step on your toes, you pick them!" So I did. And when she whined she didn't like them, too bad. I never purposely excluded anyone from my planning, but any time I tried to delegate anything it was met with panic and "I don't want to pick something you won't like!!" and tossed right back at me. This isn't just one person, it was everyone. Then everyone was all "I can't believe you didn't have any help planning this!" :doh: I don't think I'm an intimidating bitchy person, but who knows why no one wanted to help. Also this is your day, you don't get a do-over, so you have every right to insist things go as you envisioned them (within reason, sometimes you gotta roll with the punches).

• Get a day-of wedding coordinator. A good number of venues come with them, if not it's worth the money IMO. Mine came with one as part of the package or I probably wouldn't have hired one but on the day of I was really glad I had her there. I had so many other things to think about and do to even think about cake delivery times and caterer setup and all that crap on my wedding day. She had all the contacts for all my vendors, so if anything went awry she could handle it and I wouldn't even know about it. A full-on wedding planner is a bit extreme (but if you're super disorganized/have no spare time at all, it might be a good idea), but having someone behind the scenes on your actual wedding day who isn't a family member who will be distracted by or participating in wedding festivities is a godsend. And if you have family members who try to step in and run the show while having no earthly clue what happens when and where, you can rest easy in that all the pertinent stuff has been taken care of by the actual coordinator and nothing's going to go completely to poo poo because someone decided that the day would run how they envisioned it and not how you've been planning it for the past however many months/years.

• If you or anyone in your bridal party gets easily carsick, don't rent a limo with a side-facing seat. On the way to the ceremony my bridesmaids who were facing sideways were feeling a bit ill, and on the way back my husband was sitting in that seat and likewise began feeling carsick.

• Ladies, learn to walk in your dress without holding up the hem for a longer distance than from the dressing room to the mirror. I stepped on my dress hem so many times walking down the aisle since I'd never walked in it without picking it up.

• Make sure your bridesmaids and groomsmen don't leave their formal wear stuffed in bags till the morning of. Seems like a no brainer but it happened, one bridesmaid shoved her floor length satin gown in a carry on suitcase and didn't take it out until the morning of the wedding. Thankfully our room came with an iron and ironing board. If it hadn't I'd have some super wrinkly bridesmaids. Also bring a portable steamer.

• A good DJ or MC is key to keeping everything running smoothly. I was on the fence about shelling out cash for a DJ since I wasn't even sure people would dance (my family is really boring and kind of uptight), but our DJ turned out to be one of the best parts of the evening. He kept everything running on schedule and was excellent at reading crowds and had people on the dance floor from the minute it opened to when we had to shut down for the night. I don't think that would've happened if we'd just plugged in an iPod to a set of speakers. He was also good at sticking to the plan, so when people who were not me or my husband asked for things that we did not have planned (blessing before dinner, bouquet toss) he flat out denied them. The DJ is the one vendor I've had dozens of people ask me about and for his contact information for their events. Some people are even considering flying him several states away to DJ one of their events. He was that good, I was drat lucky since I just sorta blindly picked him out of a list of DJs in the area with good ratings.

• Designate a day-of money person. Most balances should be paid in full by your wedding day, but there are a few that don't need their final payments till the day of or should be tipped. I put my mom in charge of money handling so she could tip our string quartet after the ceremony and give the DJ his final payment. As the bride I did not have pockets (but I did end up with a $20 stuffed in my boobs during the ceremony for the limo driver tip since I forgot to hand that off beforehand) and your groom is going to be too busy with other stuff to have to deal with money handling too.

• Don't use anything you won't mind not getting back as decorations anywhere. I thought we could use sentimental items as table markers since the only people there were our family and friends and the venue and catering staff. Some of our things still went missing. The staff swears up and down it was gone before they started cleaning up, so one of our family members or friends is an thieving rear end in a top hat and we have absolutely no idea who it could be. On the same note, if you absolutely do not want people thinking your centerpieces are souvenirs, have the DJ make some sort of announcement to that fact.

• Buy booze in small bottles. Your caterer will give you a list of how much of what type of alcohol to buy (if you're providing it yourself). It might be tempting to save cash by buying a couple of handles rather than several small bottles; BUT most liquor stores will let you return unopened bottles. So you can either buy 4 regular 750 mL bottles and only open 3 and get your money back for the fourth, or buy two handles have them open both and get zero money back. Many places do this with cases of wine and beer as well. We offered both Yuengling and Yuengling light as our beer of choice. One (1) person had one (1) bottle of Yuengling light, so we returned all of it and got our $90 back for the 5 cases.

• You are going to be tired as hell. We had plans to leave our reception at 11 PM. We made it till 8:30. We had a discussion in the limo on the way to the reception from the ceremony that we would give anything to skip the reception and just take a nap instead. I believe a large portion of it was the hour+ of outdoor pictures in 10 degree weather, that really drains you. So if you have a wedding scheduled for a time with nicer weather you may last longer.

• Some sort of post-wedding trip is vital. We were so fed up with our families and being the center of attention that our little two day mini-honeymoon was the best possible thing we could have planned for ourselves.

All things considered nothing went drastically wrong, everyone we've talked to (and other people have talked to, so it's not just flattery) have said it's the most fun wedding they've ever been to. That's kind of surprising to me, since we're not big party people so we didn't expect to be able to throw such a great party for the reception :3:

It was the kind of wedding goons love to hate-- big, expensive and traditional, but I can't imagine doing anything differently. I can't wait till we get all of our pictures back, right now all we've got is the "sneak peeks" our photographer put on her Facebook page before she left for a wildlife photography internship in Africa. I hope nothing terrible happens to her or her cameras while she's there :ohdear:

Also I rode my horse in my wedding dress.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 6, 2014

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Also I rode my horse in my wedding dress.

I love this! You must have been freezing. Did you have your wedding on family property?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I finally got my engagement photo proofs!

We also talked with our marriage commissioner. He seems really cool and will do it for $400, since it's a smaller affair.