Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

transfatphobic posted:

40k a year is roughly what the average right-out-of-college CS degree makes and thats exactly what happened with me

nyet

quote:

According to the NACE survey, the average salary offered to newly minted bachelor's computer science grads in 2011 was $63k.

you got hosed homeboy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Proteus4994 posted:

nyet

you got hosed homeboy

i assume he works in the middle of loving nowhere

that 63k average is like 80k on the coasts and 50k in the flyovers

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is downright uncomfortable to confront how the average person lives. i suggest not making the attempt

exactly, we have rules in place about this

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i assume he works in the middle of loving nowhere

well he lived in baltimore aka detroit jr so yeah basically

he still got hosed though. underpaid AND forced to work in baltimore? jfc

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
yeh, but on the plus side i left that job after 6 months and didnt have to write code because coding sucks rear end

also it was the first offer i got so i immediately took it because god drat i needed a job

making way more than that now ~no regrets~

ps baltimore isnt detroit jr, people actually live in baltimore. theyre mostly shitbags but

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the median income is around 26k, so 50k would be a household with two average incomes in a place with completely average living costs

so no duh that is basically middle class

yeah that's kinda my point

50k in wi is a lot different from 50k in maryland and ny god drat

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

transfatphobic posted:

ps baltimore isnt detroit jr, people actually live in baltimore. theyre mostly shitbags but

people live in detroit too, they're just poor and black

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

my lasting memory of baltimore is going to orioles games back when they were still playing at memorial stadium, and driving through some of the worst loving neighborhoods to get to the game. i dunno what sort of urban migration happened to surround the baseball stadium with crack dens but damned if it didn't happen.

haven't been to camden yard in years but i remember it being in a much much much nicer area

Dec 26, 2012

baltimore sucks on a lot of levels but lets not start with detroit comparisons, jfc

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
im not even done with my ee degree yet and i get 44k but its canada money

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Proteus4994 posted:

my lasting memory of baltimore is going to orioles games back when they were still playing at memorial stadium, and driving through some of the worst loving neighborhoods to get to the game. i dunno what sort of urban migration happened to surround the baseball stadium with crack dens but damned if it didn't happen.

haven't been to camden yard in years but i remember it being in a much much much nicer area

i went to Preakness once in college and holy poo poo is it in a slum. you've got Pimlico Race Course which is a major racing venue smack dab in the middle of some scary poo poo. goddamn do i hate going to Baltimore

e: the new Orioles stadium is honestly fine though. a hell of a lot better than the poo poo Redskins fans have to put up with

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

that was the best part of baltimore

paying $1200 for a decent apartment with a guard in the front and a really nice lobby, then walking 2 blocks out to a chinese food place with bulletproof glass and a slot in the door they shove your food though

baltimore is OK on individual streets and then hosed up anywhere else

e: yeh camden yards is actually nice because its really just camden yards and associated businesses around there. marking for M&T stadium is right next to crumbling abandoned factories and streets that havent been paved in a decade

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

transfatphobic posted:

baltimore is OK on individual streets and then hosed up anywhere else

you know that this is how people describe mogadishu and kinshasa, right?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you know that this is how people describe mogadishu and kinshasa, right?

why the actual gently caress would i know that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hubris.height posted:

yeah that's kinda my point

50k in wi is a lot different from 50k in maryland and ny god drat

median household income in nyc is not significantly different from the rest of the country, despite the cost of living.

most of maryland is meth country.

average americans suffer everywhere you go.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

transfatphobic posted:

why the actual gently caress would i know that

you talk about your hometown the way expats discuss tortured third-world capitals, i couldn't help but notice the similarity

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this dumb as hell masturbatory conversation about our awesome incomes reminds me, did Detroit ever get their lovely robocop statue?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Al! posted:

this dumb as hell masturbatory conversation about our awesome incomes reminds me, did Detroit ever get their lovely robocop statue?
it's getting closer

http://www.freep.com/article/20140118/ENT01/301180088/-RoboCop-statue-Detroit-movie

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

most of maryland is meth country.

lol no its not

like i wish it was so i could make fun of it but not even that exciting. maryland is a huge amount of farmland, 1 horrible wasteland of a city, random spatterings of suburbs, and one extremely stupidly rich area

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you talk about your hometown the way expats discuss tortured third-world capitals, i couldn't help but notice the similarity

im not from maryland or baltimore so idgi

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

best. kickstarter. ever.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
yeah Maryland as a whole isn't really all that pad or as podunk as people think. western PA however...

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

JawnV6 posted:

egregious rule 36 violations all through here, just hand in your posting badges and make this easy folks

you ain't takin me alive!!! *shits everywhere*

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

a hell of a lot better than the poo poo Redskins fans have to put up with

do you remember rfk stadium? holy dogshit was that the loving worst.

fedex is a huge step up on rfk

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i have a kiwi friend who just moved to baltimore a few months ago to be with a ladyfriend, he's super interested in "the experience" because he really likes The Wire

lol he's probably already dead

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

i have a kiwi friend who just moved to baltimore a few months ago to be with a ladyfriend, he's super interested in "the experience" because he really likes The Wire

lol he's probably already dead

is he legally retarded and by ladyfriend you mean guardian?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

"i really like this show about poor people shooting each other and corrupt cops, i want to go live there"

Dec 26, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

he's super interested in "the experience" because he really likes The Wire

lmao what, how does that follow

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

just stopping into the thread to mention that I'm crazy rich welp hape you all have a nice day

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

that's actually way more impressive than i expected

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i think as a kiwi he hasn't been exposed to real squalor on the level you can get in the states. plus he'll have enough money in his new gig to live somewhere nice, so he can probably view the nasty parts of baltimore through a powerful telescope or something

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
guys these plebes have to use used things and eat off brand food, lmao

this thread really took a turn for the shameful

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
*visits somewhere and comments on how there is no squalor*

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
wow sf/nyc/seattle is really nice, there are no poor people!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

last two pages have been shittier than the shittiest kickstarter

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol, anyone remember that Spectrum bluetooth keyboard i posted elsewhere?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952953995/bluetooth-zx-spectrum-recreating-the-sinclair-zx-s

welp;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/03/elite_systems_yanks_zx_spectrum_games_from_app_stores

"Whaddya mean, royalties for the original programmers? that shits Abandonware, man!"

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 4, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
lol if you live on more than 6k per year

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Project Update #15: The Sansaires are coming, the Sansaires are coming!
Posted by Scott Heimendinger ♥ Like

The long wait is nearly over, as the first Sansaires have landed in backers’ hands, and the rest are following shortly behind. Backers in East Asia, Australia, and New Zealand should expect units on their doorsteps within the next few days, if they haven’t arrived already. Our United States shipment is expected to arrive in Los Angeles at any moment, and our Europe and Canada containers are close behind. As soon as your unit ships, you will receive a tracking number via email. Once you you’re your tracking number, stalking your Sansaire’s delivery is highly encouraged.
Make your friends jealous.

Owning a Sansaire is a rare and coveted privilege, and we want to help you show off the product that you made happen. Post photos of your unboxing, the new corner of your kitchen dedicated to sous vide, or your first sous vide meal, and tag them with @Sansaire on Facebook or Twitter. We can’t wait to see (and share) the photos of the Sansaire in your own home!
The Sansaire Towel of Reference

To help you get started cooking right away, and as a thanks for your tremendous support, we’ve included the Sansaire “Sous Vide Towel of Reference” with each Sansaire we’re sending to our Kickstarter backers. The towel lists our favorite foods, temperatures and time for sous vide cooking (adapted to our personal taste, but with credit due to Modernist Cuisine). We hope it’s a handy reference tool, but by all means, feel free to frame it and hang it on the wall. After our Kickstarter orders have all been shipped, we’ll post a version of the towel online for you to download as a quick reference on your phone or tablet.
Unboxing Video, and a 67°C Duck Egg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjfghXoxb2I

Spoiler alert: This video shows us unboxing a Sansaire and cooking a duck egg at 67°C. If you want don’t want to spoil the surprise, resist the urge to click “play”. We’re working harder than ever at Sansaire headquarters to ensure that your orders reach you as quickly as possible. As always, should you have any questions, or should you encounter any problems with your new Sansaire, email us at info@sansaire.com.

♥ Like Comment on Kickstarter

Kickstarter

Want to get these notifications straight to your iPhone? Get the Kickstarter app for iPhone.

Unsubscribe from this project's updates with one click

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm having an aged ribeye night and inviting some firends over it gonna be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i'm having an aged ribeye night and inviting some firends over it gonna be great

I'm getting with a friend this weekend to get another 10-15lbs of rib eye to lay up in our dry aging rig.

Last couple hits out of it have been outstanding.

• Locked thread