Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If the Defenders shows don't have a crossover pure goof 70s time-travel episode that's nothing but riffs on their roots then someone at Marvel needs to be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Prison Warden posted:

It isn't just asian characters, in comics if you are from the mysterious foreign land of not-America you, maybe 90% of the time have to get powers that are themed around where you come from. T'challa is a Panther guy because he is from Africa. Dust has desert powers, Banshee is.. well... a banshee, Mother of Champions's power is that she gives birth a lot because, hey guys there are a lot of people in China! It's just what happens. But for some reason the American heroes aren't the mighty Buick-Man, Cheeseburger boy, Rich Man (okay a lot are this guy) and Eagle Lad.

Or hell, Canadian super heroes! We've got what, Wolverine, Sasquatch, Snowbird, and Puck? Yay, defending the True North, Strong and Free!:canada:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You forgot Northstar, Shaman, Aurora and Major Mapleleaf (1 & 2) :canada:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

If the Defenders shows don't have a crossover pure goof 70s time-travel episode that's nothing but riffs on their roots then someone at Marvel needs to be fired.

I really hope the Netflix series are better than Agents of SHIELD.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

When they're in the basement there's nowhere to go but up. I'm guessing that being out from under the thumb of ABC/Disney and using established character baskets is going to give the creative team a lot more to work with from the get-go.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Metropolis reporter loses life, pants.
Superman rescue falls short.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

I actually love Whedon. I went out of my way to see Much Ado, just finished a rewatch of Angel Season 5 this week, and watched Cabin in the Woods for like the fifth time on a whim last night. If anything I'm too much of a fan.

Which is part of why I'm so harsh on him. For all that was good about his run on X-Men he really came up short in the "original characters" department. Abigail Brand excepted of course.

Isn't Abigail Brand almost exactly Zoe Culloden with a green theme instead of yellow? I had to look that one up because I was sure they were the same character.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I don't know who that is.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ein posted:

Isn't Abigail Brand almost exactly Zoe Culloden with a green theme instead of yellow? I had to look that one up because I was sure they were the same character.

Except for their preference of coloured glasses and alien tech I can't see many similarities between them that would lead to that confusion.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Decius posted:

Except for their preference of coloured glasses and alien tech I can't see many similarities between them that would lead to that confusion.

Abigail is also more of the "hard-rear end with a heart of gold" type, whereas Zoe is more "Do job properly under all circumstances because it's all I know" type.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I don't think anyone's mentioned Captain Boomerang because he's too awesome. Also the recent retcon at least addresses his name choice.

Superior Foes of Spiderman #1

edit: how did I mix those two up :psyduck: Captain Boomerang is DC!

ghosthorse fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 3, 2014

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Whoah there buddy, don't you go mixing up Captain Boomerang with that upstart Boomerang. They're two completely different characters. One's a captain!

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Yeah, there's only one Captain Boomerang in my heart.

Suicide Squad 41

Same issue Batman and explosives.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ghostlight posted:

T'Challa is still based around a simple germ of "what is an iconic thing from <<countryoforigin>>?" rather than the huge wealth of individuality that seems to be exhibited in American-based heroes, regardless of the name-coincidence of two things using the same iconic animal.

What If? vol2 #32

Hate to be a nit-picker, but that's from What If, Volume 2, #34, not 32. What If #34 was an all out humor issue which included gems like these:

Lets see Bendis write MK like this!

I'd pay good money for Luke Cage, Warrior of Asgard For Hire!

So much goodness stuffed into this one. Daredevil throwing darts, Wanda knitting a Vision onesie, Thor reduced to using a paddle..

All of the above from What If Vol. 2 #34, wish it would show up on Comixology.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ein posted:

I had to look her up because it seems like LL&L is at most a relic of 90s Wolverine and very early Deadpool, and while I see some similarities I wouldn't be able to tell you if Brand is a rip-off of her.

That said SWORD as a concept and Brand's romance with Beast do make her enough of a worthwhile contribution to the X-Canon on her own, even if her character is very possibly a xerox of a forgotten relic of the Dark Age.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Binary Badger posted:

So much goodness stuffed into this one. Daredevil throwing darts, Wanda knitting a Vision onesie, Thor reduced to using a paddle..

"Want to watch CNN re-runs of the smoldering crater that was once New York City?"

"I don't know, any Morlock fights promised?"

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

ghosthorse posted:

I don't think anyone's mentioned Captain Boomerang because he's too awesome. Also the recent retcon

He should be glad he wasn't named Drop Bear or something.

Source Nextwave.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

chami posted:

He should be glad he wasn't named Drop Bear or something.

Source Nextwave.

It's the *sob* that does it for me.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Ghostlight posted:

You forgot Northstar, Shaman, Aurora and Major Mapleleaf (1 & 2) :canada:

Deadpool breaks that mold a bit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Err, as far as I can tell from quick research Deadpool was just part of the Weapon X program, not necessarily Canadian by birth. According to the Marvel Universe Wiki it says Deadpool was in brief military service, I imagine he'd have to be a citizen to do that, anyone know more?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Err, as far as I can tell from quick research Deadpool was just part of the Weapon X program, not necessarily Canadian by birth. According to the Marvel Universe Wiki it says Deadpool was in brief military service, I imagine he'd have to be a citizen to do that, anyone know more?
Deadpool's from Ohio, IIRC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Deadpool's from Ohio, IIRC.

No, in the recent arc he says he's relieved to not be from Ohio.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bloody Holly posted:

Deadpool breaks that mold a bit.

"Funny guy who makes it big in the States and doesn't bring up being Canadian much" is absolutely a Canadian thing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

No, in the recent arc he says he's relieved to not be from Ohio.
After some quick internetting, it looks like at one point he was from Bexley, OH (acc. to the Deadpool wiki) and grew up in Ill., buuut I don't know where this showed up originally. I get the impression it was from Cable & Deadpool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

After some quick internetting, it looks like at one point he was from Bexley, OH (acc. to the Deadpool wiki) and grew up in Ill., buuut I don't know where this showed up originally. I get the impression it was from Cable & Deadpool.

In "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly" Deadpool confronts one of the men who destroyed his life and discovers that he's been mixing his own memories with Deadpool's over the years. This is why Wade thought he was from Ohio at one point.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah as far as I can tell Deadpool's actually country/location of origin is still a complete unknown, and irrelevant to almost everything about him since the character that exists was basically born in Weapon X.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 3, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

In "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly" Deadpool confronts one of the men who destroyed his life and discovers that he's been mixing his own memories with Deadpool's over the years. This is why Wade thought he was from Ohio at one point.
Innnnnteresting.

I uh, still need to read that arc. :sweatdrop:

Wait, are you talking about Killebrew (didn't he die?), or another man who destroyed his life? (it's DP, certainly possible!)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 3, 2014

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Another. Turns out there were a lot of dudes ruining lives at Weapon X, and some of them didn't let that shutting down stop them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phy posted:

"Funny guy who makes it big in the States and doesn't bring up being Canadian much" is absolutely a Canadian thing.

Like Ted Cruz. :v:

(Yes, I know how it works; I'm making a joke)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Lars Blitzer posted:

Or hell, Canadian super heroes! We've got what, Wolverine, Sasquatch, Snowbird, and Puck? Yay, defending the True North, Strong and Free!:canada:
:doh:

I only just now figured out "Puck" -- the few times I've seen the character, I've spent most of my time trying to figure out what he had to do with A Midsummer Night's Dream.

At least I'm probably not going to feel dumber than this today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Innnnnteresting.

I uh, still need to read that arc. :sweatdrop:

Wait, are you talking about Killebrew (didn't he die?), or another man who destroyed his life? (it's DP, certainly possible!)

drat it man! I didn't mean to spoil it for you!

But as stated, there are other dudes loving poo poo up for Weapon X subjects.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This seems like a good time to ask and honestly it's probably easier to find out through you guys than trying to dig up the information in half-edited wikis, but how did X-writers reconcile the whole Weapon-Plus idea from Morrison's X-Men with the Weapon X of the past? Like why was Weapon X such a big deal while every other Weapon-Plus seems to be a "one and done" kind of deal (outside of the obvious "Weapon-Plus was a retcon" answer)?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

This seems like a good time to ask and honestly it's probably easier to find out through you guys than trying to dig up the information in half-edited wikis, but how did X-writers reconcile the whole Weapon-Plus idea from Morrison's X-Men with the Weapon X of the past? Like why was Weapon X such a big deal while every other Weapon-Plus seems to be a "one and done" kind of deal (outside of the obvious "Weapon-Plus was a retcon" answer)?

Its usually people involved with that one that keep on bringing it back.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

drat it man! I didn't mean to spoil it for you!
Fogetaboutit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Yeah, there's only one Captain Boomerang in my heart.

Suicide Squad 41

Same issue Batman and explosives.

poo poo dude, I'd join a Cyberchurch.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Binary Badger posted:

Hate to be a nit-picker, but that's from What If, Volume 2, #34, not 32.
Whoops!

ibid:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Its usually people involved with that one that keep on bringing it back.

Makes sense. Thanks. Now to post some honest to god funny stuff, although this is less of a "ha ha" funny and more of a dry humor. I also fully expect someone to jump in and whine because they don't like seeing their favorite villain humiliated (in a way that is totally deserved in my humble opinion).

Context-- Adventures of Superman 40 and 41, written by Chronicle writer (and son of John Landis) Max Landis, who also did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

Superman and the Joker meet for the very first time:

And the aftermath:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I love the use of all those old jokers.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

IIRC the explantion was basically Weapon X became such a big deal because they broke off from the Weapon-Plus program and started doing their own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Makes sense. Thanks. Now to post some honest to god funny stuff, although this is less of a "ha ha" funny and more of a dry humor. I also fully expect someone to jump in and whine because they don't like seeing their favorite villain humiliated (in a way that is totally deserved in my humble opinion).

Context-- Adventures of Superman 40 and 41, written by Chronicle writer (and son of John Landis) Max Landis, who also did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

Superman and the Joker meet for the very first time:

And the aftermath:

I know Max Landis is a huge rear end in a top hat, but this really sums up pretty much all my problems with The Joker and Batman.

• Locked thread