Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Alright, shut up nerdlingers, want to hear more about Tony's adventures in Deep Space Nining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Uh I believe you'll find Canada's official sport is lacrosse

On paper, sure, but it gets basically zero attention, certainly less than the NHL and CFL, and probably even curling. Lacrosse is Canada's official sport in kind of the same way as the dreadhawk is Halifax's official city bird.

Funny you should mention it though, lacrosse is exactly what I imagine Parrises Squares to be like. Just with less pit traps and dead children in lacrosse.

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 3, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lacrosse is a very Klingon sport, actually. It came into being as warring tribes of First Nations needed a way to settle their differences without obliterating one another. So they invented a game where you flung hard rubber balls at the opposing team's shaman until he died!

:black101:

And then, much later when it became non-lethal and an actual sport played for fun, the French got wind of it, saw the nets the players carried and said "yes, those look just like crucifixes, thus we shall call this game... the cross!"

:eng99:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Lacrosse is a very Klingon sport, actually. It came into being as warring tribes of First Nations needed a way to settle their differences without obliterating one another. So they invented a game where you flung hard rubber balls at the opposing team's shaman until he died!

:black101:

And then, much later when it became non-lethal and an actual sport played for fun, the French got wind of it, saw the nets the players carried and said "yes, those look just like crucifixes, thus we shall call this game... the cross!"

:eng99:

You think that's bad? Remember how Garak chose to emotionally devastate those Klingons who beat him up in Way of the Warrior, explaining that while physical wounds are merely temporary, while emotional wounds last forever? Imagine if someone took Garak's method there, and combined it with administering a beating. That's how the French play rugby.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Was there ever a Trek novel that showed what would have happened if the Enterprise-C had not gone back in time?

Not specifically, but the (excellent, at least when I was a kid) novel Q-Squared features a variant of that timeline. It's awesome and has Trelane.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just realized that the Star Fleet insignia on Kirk's green tunic has a band of fabric behind it that's supposed to make it look like it's flying. That's pretty neat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"yes, those look just like crucifixes, thus we shall call this game... the cross!"

Lacross means "the stick"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Lacross means "the stick"

Well that's a much less stupid name

:v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And here we see a father and his son enjoying a lively game of "the stick"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm up to Crysalis (DS9) and Drone (Voyager) in my watch. I will not defend Voyager (it is a bad show, don't watch it), but I will admit that so far, Season 5 has been better than the previous seasons, even if they did find a cheating shortcut that got them through the dark expanse that should have lasted a pretty long time. I also think the oft-cited "ruined the Borg" complaints are far from true and that the Borg focused episodes are actually some of the best in the series and do not make the Borg into space zombies (so far, I can't speak for later in season 5 or after).

It also looks like I have a B'ellana focused episode coming up, as well as a "Neelix looks after Naomi" episode, and another goddamn alternate future of Voyager episode though, so I fully expect season five to take a dive straight back into the gutter.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
After reading this conversation, I'm reasonably sure most modern sports we're eliminated in the future so we would never have to have this stupid nationalistic pissing contest again. Sports are the reason we don't have a united earth.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Voyager two-parters tend to be ok, but man is there some embarrassingly bad CGI in Basics2

Why otherwise high-budget shows insisted on doing more than looked good with CGI is beyond me. It wasn't even necessary to the plot in any way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

After reading this conversation, I'm reasonably sure most modern sports we're eliminated in the future so we would never have to have this stupid nationalistic pissing contest again. Sports are the reason we don't have a united earth.

The nationalistic pissing contest is the least of the worries. Look at the way it tears cities apart. I consciously realize that sports rivalries are stupid tribalism, but the Yankees still fill me with Bostonian Klingon rage. You can't bring me to accept that Yankees fans should be part of our united society, space travel man. Follow your prime directive and let us continue our war.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

The nationalistic pissing contest is the least of the worries. Look at the way it tears cities apart. I consciously realize that sports rivalries are stupid tribalism, but the Yankees still fill me with Bostonian Klingon rage. You can't bring me to accept that Yankees fans should be part of our united society, space travel man. Follow your prime directive and let us continue our war.

Sisko picked the (some year)Yankees over the (some year)Red Sox in an episode of DS9 and he might have been right but I just :arghfist::tizzy:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Ironically WoK was the total opposite, the episode it was based on was picked out by a guy who was totally unfamiliar with the series and decided to marathon the whole thing to see what he had to work with. He decided that "Space Seed" had the best hook to hang a motion picture-sized sequel on and went from there.

It doesn't matter whether something's made by a total fanboy or a complete neophyte to the franchise, what matters is talent and perspective. Wrath of Khan wasn't made from a perspective of "let's reach the lowest common denominator for that massive summer blockbuster take, oh and throw some tablescraps in there for those whiny internet nerds to latch onto", it was simply "we're here to tell a good story on a budget that respects the legacy of what came before, let's do the best we can and let that speak for itself".

I know it's a long time ago, but it's even more opposite. Kercher had very little time and went with what he knew, which was Horatio Hornblower In Space. It was great and set the style for the rest of the original cast movies. Somebody new came in and put his own distinct style and ideas into the production, creating a distinct and worthwhile sequel instead of rehashing old plots and throwing in non sequitor "references" to a reboot/rehash we're-not-sure-if-it's-a-remake mess.

I have friends who really liked Into Darkness but when questioned closely about this opinion they seem to like the Star Trek-ness more than the actual plot of the movie and want to know what's going on with this whole Federation and Enterprise thing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

I know it's a long time ago, but it's even more opposite. Kercher had very little time and went with what he knew, which was Horatio Hornblower In Space.

Who the hell is Kercher? Are you referring to Irvin Kershner?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Delsaber posted:

Football, American Football... why not embrace hockey, the sport of Canada, the oft-forgotten halfway house between England and America? They've even got sticks, just like cricket!

Star Trek's World War 3 started with another Vancouver hockey riot, which is why my Canucks can never be allowed to win a Stanley Cup. :smith:

If there's anything I've learned in watching serialized tv and hockey; skating and acting ability are almost always mutually exclusive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

I know it's a long time ago, but it's even more opposite. Kercher had very little time and went with what he knew, which was Horatio Hornblower In Space.

I, uh, think you might be referring to Nicholas Meyer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yup. Alt-tabb

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

If there's anything I've learned in watching serialized tv and hockey; skating and acting ability are almost always mutually exclusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpw-dJinzK0

Hey I wonder if crappy ads are a thing in the utopia of Star Trek? I meant capitalism is dead so I guess there's no motivation for it, except I guess to come on down to Ten Forward to see Riker's lovely trombone (there's a joke about Riker's penis here somewhere) for the 80th time.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Hey I wonder if crappy ads are a thing in the utopia of Star Trek? I meant capitalism is dead so I guess there's no motivation for it, except I guess to come on down to Ten Forward to see Riker's lovely trombone (there's a joke about Riker's penis here somewhere) for the 80th time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg8o__6bEEY

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjRkZPjIRX8

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Sluggo Cola: the slimiest drink in the galaxy! Drink Sluggo!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, man.

S3 E2. The reveals are awesome. The holding everyone in the Matrix to see what they'd do was awesome. Odo and the Changelings are awesome.

There are good two parters that I've seen in TNG (the ending of Best of Both Worlds ruins it for me, but there are others), and there are some stellar single eps of TOS that have never been equaled.. but this really is something else. I guess I've watched more than a movie length plot now and I'm nowhere near done, it's pretty great how you're watching something this good and it just keeps going.

I guess this means.. peace? For the moment.. well.. so the Changeling chick (haha she looked just like Odo, that is one ugly bird) said they are the Founders, I guess Sisko was supposed to pipe up at that point and ask for peace? I guess just letting them go was in respect to Odo, the Dominion respects nothing else the Federation wants.

I'm impressed with it all, it's been great to watch and the first two seasons mean I know and care enough about the characters to give this all more depth.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
In the beginning, Tony Montana was all like "Ehhh, I think this DS9 show kinda sucks, I dunno what these goons are gushing about" and now he's all into it and it's not even season 4 yet and I'm all :3:

It's always a good day when someone else learns to love DS9.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kind of like root beer in that regard.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Way of the Warrior is the best post-TOS movie, accept no substitutes :colbert:

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Gammatron 64 posted:

In the beginning, Tony Montana was all like "Ehhh, I think this DS9 show kinda sucks, I dunno what these goons are gushing about" and now he's all into it and it's not even season 4 yet and I'm all :3:

It's always a good day when someone else learns to love DS9.

I'm really looking forward to his reaction to DS9 Worf, the best Worf :colbert:

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
If he thinks the two-parter to open Season 3 was amazing I can't wait until he gets to the real two-parter in that season.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I can't wait till his reaction to Tom and the fake beard.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Everyone's having a fun time talking about DS9 and I'm having a fun time watching DS9 until, wait, what's this? Next episode up is The Muse? Isn't that the one everyone in the Trek thread said was doo doo? I've been watching VOY concurrently, so maybe it will seem good by comparison. See you on the other side, friends.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 4, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Muse isn't even that bad, it just has a weird, creepy A plot that doesn't gel with Star Trek as a series and a B plot that's pretty typical (spoilered because somebody is watching it right now) Lxanana. At the end, you say "Boy, that one sure was a dud! Totally missed it, guys!" instead of "I want to punch my television, but it was an expensive device. When I find you, writers of Retrospect, my fist shall have a home."

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So I redownloaded STO and started up a Romulan character.

They really changed the ground game since last time I played. Still not that great, but it's better.

Also a bit sad that I made a Tactical officer as it seems that D'Deridex Warbirds are made for Engineers.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

apophenium posted:

Everyone's having a fun time talking about DS9 and I'm having a fun time watching DS9 until, wait, what's this? Next episode up is The Muse? Isn't that the one everyone in the Trek thread said was doo doo? I've been watching VOY concurrently, so maybe it will seem good by comparison. See you on the other side, friends.

Even the shittiest DS9 episodes usually have some good character moments which make them worth watching at least once.

Profit and Lace is probably an exception to this rule...

But even it has this exchange:

Sisko: "A Dominion invasion of Ferenginar?"
Quark: "Think of the terrible repercussions to the Alpha Quadrant!"
Worf: "I cannot think of any."

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I dunno man that was a pretty rough episode. At least wasn't unabashedly stupid like a lot of the VOY episodes I've watched. Lwaxana episodes have generally been okay in my book. She was really fun in TNG because of how much of a foil she was to Picard and the stuffy Starfleet mannerisms. In DS9 she's taken on a similar role, but I'm a lot more invested in the serious DS9 arcs that when Lwaxana shows up pregnant in Odo's office I can't help but groan in disgust.

Jake's writing arc has been kind of neat to see until this episode kind of took some of the air out of it. Sisko's speech near the end about "the words were inside you all along" was a bit eyeroll worthy. Probably the standout moment of the episode for me was Jadzia pouting in that dumb hat.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

RaspberryCommie posted:

So I redownloaded STO and started up a Romulan character.

They really changed the ground game since last time I played. Still not that great, but it's better.

Also a bit sad that I made a Tactical officer as it seems that D'Deridex Warbirds are made for Engineers.

Don't worry about it; anyone can fly anything usually make it work. It's the bridge officers abilities and equipment that make the ship good; the captain just brings a few extra abilities to the table.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lwxana is a bad character whose TNG episode jokes are "This old wants sex" and yeah, yeah, she turns out to be the wiser one sometimes or whatever, but the episodes clearly expect you to be laughing at her through most of them and sympathizing with all the dudes (mostly Picard) and their "ZOIKS! I don't want to have sex with that old!" expression.

The relationship between her and Odo was forcefully created in the early formative years of the show and come to an awkward conclusion in the weird space art-succubus episode, which, while bad, is still better than the painfully bad episodes that make up most of Voyager and portions of TNG.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Episodes of DS9 that are worse than The Muse:

Let He Who Is Without Sin...
Profit & Lace

...I was going to include Move Along Home, but honestly, I rather enjoy the aliens being trolls in that episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Move Along Home is sort of delightfully campy. Profit and Lace is just a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

Delsaber posted:

Episodes of DS9 that are worse than The Muse:

Let He Who Is Without Sin...
Profit & Lace

...I was going to include Move Along Home, but honestly, I rather enjoy the aliens being trolls in that episode.

If wishes were horses, is real bad. I can barely sit through that and I've watched a lot of modern Dr. Who

• Locked thread