Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ChocNitty posted:

Is there an app that's similar to the drum machine that's built into Amplitube? I like being able to adjust the tempo and fills instead of messing with recorded drum tracks.

I haven't used the Amplitube one but it sounds similar to the smart drummer in Garageband, just change the tempo and slide a couple of icons around to get new patterns.
It's not quite the same but iKaossilator can let you make drum patterns very quickly but they are much more electronic in nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Well, this came out the left field :pwn:

KORG reveals KORG Gadget for iPad

YouTube demo

poo poo looks p. crazy :stare:

Think I'll wait for some impressions before jumping on that, though. Wanna know how well an iPad 2 can run it.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 23, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

YouTube demo

Think I'll wait for some impressions before jumping on that, though. Wanna know how well an iPad 2 can run it.

This is almost exactly what I've been looking for although I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff they were demoing is based off of IAP

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Declan MacManus posted:

This is almost exactly what I've been looking for although I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff they were demoing is based off of IAP
Yeah, my eyes were darting across the description looking for "all included for 1 price" or "try before you buy each gadget" or something like that.

I'm keeping hope alive that it's all included for less than 20 bucks. Not likely, though.

EDIT: vvvvvvvv Ah, I hadn't seen another article where it named the price: $28.99 until Feb. 23rd.

Yup, I'm sure it comes with all 15 gadgets at that price. Not terrible. Kinda wish it was $20 though.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 23, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think you do get all 15 gadgets when you buy it, though. It's a pretty drat hefty price tag if you don't, and besides the App Store doesn't say anything about IAP.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Not cheap but considering what you get it's reasonable and it's still cheaper than Animoog/Lemur (at least for the time being)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Samples of each of the gadgets on KORG's site.

gently caress me this sounds nice but I already have way too many things I'm supposed to play with

edit: Well this is surprisingly friendly on KORG's part, their official specs site actually details how many tracks each iPad version can run! Only five (or eight with frozen tracks) on the iPad 2. Think I'll have to pass on this unless I upgrade at some point.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 23, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm not even good at musics and I think I need to buy this now.

What a loving cool toy!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I've been thinking about buying BeatMaker 2 but at $20 I'm a bit torn... any comments on stability with iOS 7/Air?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I just got Amplitube 3 and Guitar Rig 5 and I am looking to use them in GarageBand 10.

From what i've learned so far is that people have done this is by making an audio track, and loading Guitar Rig as a plugin. If I am not misunderstood, GarageBand 10 no longer has the ability to load plugins on individual tracks? (something to do with the program being 64 bit and the guitar programs being 32 bit)

I have managed to load up and use the Guitar Rig plugin as a master effect, but obviously that's no good since it applies to all tracks.

Is there just a way I can get GarageBand to record the audio that's coming through my headphone/speaker jack?

also...

I'm looking for a dirt cheap USB Midi Controller to use in GarageBand on my iMac and iPhone to bang out synth and piano riffs, and maybe to tap out drum beats with the piano roll.

So far i'm thinking one of these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Akai-Professi...b+midi+keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-Q25-25...b+midi+keyboard

The first has better reviews, but the second has the mod/pitch wheels.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 24, 2014

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

YouTube demo

I love you Korg.

Also think the Fender iOS interface is pretty nice looking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-RddHFs5Es

http://www.fender.com/features/slide/
Looking forward to proper reviews.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just got gadget and it's freaking great.

Only downside is I was hoping I could arrange a song by just hitting the record button and triggering the clips in the order I wanted them to play.

Instead it seems I have to tediously arrange the clips in sequence.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, I can't work out what the record button on the arrangement view actually does.

It's the first of these apps though that has a note sequencer I actually like.

Really I'm finding every part of it intuitive except the arrangement window.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 29, 2014

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

slomomofo posted:

I've been thinking about buying BeatMaker 2 but at $20 I'm a bit torn... any comments on stability with iOS 7/Air?

Never crashed on me but I'd wait for it to go on sale if you can, it pretty reliably does during sale seasons.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This is the first thing I made the evening I got gadget https://soundcloud.com/hugespiders/drizzle

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

ashgromnies posted:

Never crashed on me but I'd wait for it to go on sale if you can, it pretty reliably does during sale seasons.

Cool, thanks! Guess I'll add it to my sale watch list.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The gadget demo earlier was kinda meh but the demos on korgs website are balls awesome. Wow. Wish I had an Ipad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The gadget demo earlier was kinda meh but the demos on korgs website are balls awesome. Wow. Wish I had an Ipad.

Do you have a link to these demos? I'm having the damnedest time locating and I really want to see...

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Feenix posted:

Do you have a link to these demos? I'm having the damnedest time locating and I really want to see...

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget_for_ipad/page_1.php

Seems way overpriced to me, as well as being unoriginal for the iPad.

renderful fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 4, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On one hand I have a hard time trusting official demos because you know they're mastered by some genius who could make nails on a chalkboard sound good.

But on the other hand they sound really goddamn good and I want them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

On one hand I have a hard time trusting official demos because you know they're mastered by some genius who could make nails on a chalkboard sound good.

But on the other hand they sound really goddamn good and I want them.

http://discchord.com/blog/2014/1/31/tutorial-korg-gadget-building-a-song.html

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
guys: gadget is good. if you're looking for something that will help you put together club bangers of many types, gadget is designed to do poo poo like that. they have multiple synths just to nail common synth sounds in current EDM. they have brussels, an anthem synth with unison detune and 'pump' (sidechaining to the kick) and miami, a synth that is designed for wubs and has a formant filter combined with a bitcrusher specifically designed to give you that grainy "YUHYUHYOYOY" sound.

if you want something to help you make that kind of thing, get gadget. when audiobus and MIDI IN/OUT/CLOCK get added you'll be able to fill in the cracks in gadget synths with some other iOS synth, like thor or sunrizer or some poo poo.

there are things i wish it had. an awesome sampler with chopping (ala samplr but that probably won't happen) would be great for making techno and using your own poo poo for percussion. but it's a good start and probably worth the money.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Is tabletop worth spending money on? I like the idea of running samples from impc thru an autotune. What plugins are worth buying? Which ones suck?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I bought the whole tabletop pack and am still on the fence about whether or not to recommend it. It has a nice clean workflow, but a few transient but show-stopping bugs. (Sometimes it'll decide to not play some notes, sometimes you get phantom MIDI notes appearing, sometimes it'll crash with AudioCopy) Running four MPCs chained to different effects simultaneously with live auto-tuned vocals is a wet dream to be sure, though.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I've stopped using Tabletop (atleast for now) as it seems to like to start crashing when trying to open a project randomly. Last time was a day before a gig, the live set would crash every time. Luckily there was an update the day we were playing but I started looking at other options at that point.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I grabbed Gadget and it's loving awesome. Can I use a MIDI footswitch to switch between scenes during live performance or am I stuck using my fingers?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a apogee jam 96k and i'm not sure if it would be better sound quality to have the amp or the guitar go directly in? Anyone know?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When you say have the amp go directly in are you referring to connecting the speaker out to the jam, or the headphone out? Other posts in this forum prefixed with multiple nevers inidcate that plugging anything except a matching impedance cabinet into the speaker out is a recipe for disaster. The headphone out will be more suitable but the sound will be different than what you would normally expect out of the amp as you will be bypassing the internal speaker and cabinet which adds a lot tot he overall tone. If you intend to use amp simulators like Amplitube or whatever then plugging the guitar directly into the Jam will be the best bet.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I don't know if this has been posted yet. SECTOR Stochastic Sample Slice Sequencer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYad1S25D_4

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I've been tinkering with using Beatmaker's MIDI sequencer to control other synths -- Cassini for example. Works for the most part, but I can't export songs in Beatmaker, presumably because it's not Beatmaker that's generating the audio but the external app. Is there a way to record the audio then in another app, particularly if I'm controlling more than one synth App? If I'm stuck using a DAW, what's a good one? Looks like MultiTrack DAW hasn't been updated in over a year.

Also when I'm doing this Cassini won't play the first note unless I wait a bar. Any ideas?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Beatmaker 2 supports AudioBus, and if the synths you're controlling support it too then they can be recorded into an audio track in Beatmaker.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Right, but BM2 is tied up in playback mode controlling Cassini. I don't think it can play back and record at the same time.

How is GarageBand's DAW capabilities? I havent used it in a while because I remember it being a pig but I suppose I can dust that off. It take it it can be used as an AudioBus output?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Eegah posted:

Right, but BM2 is tied up in playback mode controlling Cassini. I don't think it can play back and record at the same time.

BM2 can play and record at the same time. Create an audio track and make sure its input is set to accept Audiobus' output. If you have trouble with this, let me know and I'll post screenshots.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
:doh: Didn't occur to me that that was possible.

That did exactly what I wanted. Thanks a bunch!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I can't seem to get my USB keyboard to work with my iPad Air. It's an M Audio Keystation 49e. Am I stuck getting another keyboard? Tested every part of my chain (camera connector works, USB cable works, keyboard works with my laptop) so I don't know what to do

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Declan MacManus posted:

I can't seem to get my USB keyboard to work with my iPad Air. It's an M Audio Keystation 49e. Am I stuck getting another keyboard? Tested every part of my chain (camera connector works, USB cable works, keyboard works with my laptop) so I don't know what to do

Mine won't work unless I connect it via a powered USB hub. Direct in or via a non-powered hub is a no-go.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Question for any of you guys who are plugging a guitar into jamup/ampkit/amplitube/whatever: obviously you can plug effects pedals into whatever input box you're using to go from the guitar to the ipad, and it'll work pretty much the same way it does on a normal amp. If you have pedals that you'd normally put in the effects loop, like an EQ or a delay, what's the easiest solution?

Obviously I could use some adapters to go between eighth and quarter inch as needed and just go iPad headphone out->pedals-> speakers, but then you don't really have any control of the signal coming out of the pedals. Which, I suppose, is the reason the effects loop on a real amp comes back in before the power amp. Curious to know if anyone has figured out something workable.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Question for any of you guys who are plugging a guitar into jamup/ampkit/amplitube/whatever: obviously you can plug effects pedals into whatever input box you're using to go from the guitar to the ipad, and it'll work pretty much the same way it does on a normal amp. If you have pedals that you'd normally put in the effects loop, like an EQ or a delay, what's the easiest solution?

Obviously I could use some adapters to go between eighth and quarter inch as needed and just go iPad headphone out->pedals-> speakers, but then you don't really have any control of the signal coming out of the pedals. Which, I suppose, is the reason the effects loop on a real amp comes back in before the power amp. Curious to know if anyone has figured out something workable.

Nah, that's really the only way to do it. You could use two iOS devices and then BIAS to simulate a power amp, or you could use Audiobus to route your amp through effects before it hits the speakers, but those are expensive/limited for various reasons.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Korg Gadget had a big update this morning with Audiobus among other things. Haven't played with it yet but the update doesn't recommend using Audiobus w/ pre-current iPads.

What are some good web resources for iOS music stuff? Most of what I can find is just app description dumps and link farm type sites.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eegah posted:

What are some good web resources for iOS music stuff? Most of what I can find is just app description dumps and link farm type sites.

KVR's forum is the best I've found. There's not much out there that isn't link farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

KVR's forum is the best I've found. There's not much out there that isn't link farms.

And even they're... okay I guess. Thanks.

In better news I picked up Caustic and am really liking it as a quick lightweight song-sketch type of sequencer.

• Locked thread