Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Eegah posted:

Ars says it's a separate app. At first glance it kinda looks like Flipboard, though I haven't used that in years.

Also this post is a direct knockoff of the above post :)

It does look like Flipboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm kind of curious about it

You goons are so negative

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

101 posted:

Same here. I mean really how can it be any worse than the normal Facebook app? Is there messaging in Paper or is it strictly a feed?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like how the demo only shows informative and well-written wall posts from interesting people. I want to see what it looks like when populated with cat photos, conspiracy theories, and "I'm not racist but" posts.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Can anybody tell me if I've entered the matrix or not? Thanks in advance.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Launch Center Pro is on sale for $2.99 right now (normally 4.99). I haven't heard much about it in this thread, but the amount that people on the rest of the web fawn over it, I'm giving it a go.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
The contrast of the goons in the Apple development thread and you guys is pretty funny.

A goon posted the Facebook Paper app in that thread to show off his work and they liked it. Come in to this thread immediately after reading that and see some of you jumping on it!

Would link to his post but on my phone.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TJChap2840 posted:

The contrast of the goons in the Apple development thread and you guys is pretty funny.

A goon posted the Facebook Paper app in that thread to show off his work and they liked it. Come in to this thread immediately after reading that and see some of you jumping on it!

Would link to his post but on my phone.

Was there actually any negativity? The only things I saw were "I personally don't like horizontal scrolling" and "It looks like Flipboard"

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was saying it looked like Flipboard...because it does. Not because that's a bad thing.

P.S. I've only seen the video.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 31, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It doesn't just look lile Flipboard. It's almost a carbon copy. gently caress, you can even add Facebook to Flipboard right now to get your News Feed shown almost exactly as Paper is doing. Aside from better integration to comments/likes and other FB poo poo and a few neat things (the panorama photo was neat), I saw nothing new I haven't been able to do in Flipboard for the last few years?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Okay. There's the negativity.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think it'd be a real hoot to make a tech review site that reviews things that haven't been released yet. It'd be like The Onion of gadgetry :D

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

withak posted:

I like how the demo only shows informative and well-written wall posts from interesting people. I want to see what it looks like when populated with cat photos, conspiracy theories, and "I'm not racist but" posts.
Don't forget the "what character would you be from [show/movie]" posts.

Last Chance posted:

I think it'd be a real hoot to make a tech review site that reviews things that haven't been released yet. It'd be like The Onion of gadgetry :D
I have a feeling some sites already do that, although I might be thinking of the gaming media.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Last Chance posted:

This is, like, the entirety of the Something Awful Forums.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The individual stories look like they take up way too much of the screen. I mean, I guess that's the whole point but I like the way the Facebook app flows now. Could it work better? gently caress yeah it could, but I probably won't jump ship for Paper. Neat concept, though, and I'm sure a lot of people will dig it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

101 posted:

And really intolerant of stupidity. One can barely survive

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Xabi posted:

Can anyone recommend apps for learning maths (basics and more advanced)?
Algebra: https://itunes.apple.com/app/dragonbox2/id634444186?ls=1&mt=8
It's pretty fun too, would've been great to have as a kid!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Analytic Engine posted:

Algebra: https://itunes.apple.com/app/dragonbox2/id634444186?ls=1&mt=8
It's pretty fun too, would've been great to have as a kid!
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Sorry to the others that I didn't reply to your questions. I totally forgot that I'd made this post.

e: "ages of 12 to 17". I was hopefully looking for a bit higher level than that. I''ve got a postgraduate degree in Economics but I don't do or need maths in my job. However, I don't want to forget everything I've learned either.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 31, 2014

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
A good friend and one of my former students from my days as a professor was taking her iOS class last semester and asked me for help from time to time, and it inspired me to get into iOS development again after a few years of not touching it. drat, the tools are so much nicer now!

So here's a silly app I wrote, called unicodr (iTunes link).

It does Unicode character substitution to flip your text uʍop ǝpı̣sdn, put it in sᴍᴀʟʟ ᴄᴀᴘs, c̶r̶o̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶, or give it those olde-faſhioned long S's like renaiſsance times (long-S only uſed in non-terminal poſition and never before another s or f, read your hiſtory books!). Then you can attach a silly Unicode emoticon to the message and post it to Twitter or Facebook, or copy it to your clipboard, or text it to someone. Wooooo.

Just look at how cute the icon is! If you know any teenage girls who post messages like that or Unicode butterflies way too much on FB/Twitter, send them the link and make their lives easier.

I really want to play with iOS 7's TextKit now to make it possible to do all the styling in-line and make it easier to add multiple emoticons as "tokens" inside the text, instead of limiting it to one at the end.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Xabi posted:

e: "ages of 12 to 17". I was hopefully looking for a bit higher level than that. I''ve got a postgraduate degree in Economics but I don't do or need maths in my job. However, I don't want to forget everything I've learned either.
Not an app, but this guy's explanations are even better than Khan Academy:
http://betterexplained.com/articles/category/math/

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Hey guys. I've kind of inherited a 2nd generation iPod (my wife has an iPhone and literally hasn't touched in a while). Here's my life situation:

We've moved to Europe, but still have a bunch of US-services. EG - Netflix, Pandora, Spotify; This will become important later.

I want to turn this into kind of a traveling companion. I'm willing to drop a little money into the apps, but there's the chance that this thing could up and die at any point. But here's a rando list of things I'm looking for:

Is there an app where I can just download the map for a city and then just be able to access it? Let's say I'm going to Barcelona and I don't get cell phone data and I want to have a map in my fingers. Is there an app that would just let me put the map on my phone and access it later? I don't even need to get directions or anything, just a map.

I don't need to have music on it, but I would like to have access to Pandora. Is there an easy VPN? My wife already has HideMyAss running on our iPad, so I could use that account, I guess.

What is the best alarm clock? I need this to be so certain that I can sleep the night before I have a flight. I'll always have my cell phone as a failsafe, but still, I will probably be using this function at home, and I'd like to be 100% certain.

Has the consensus changed on the best podcasting app since the OP?

Also do I need to update the firmware or any of that poo poo? This thing hasn't been touched for ~1.5 years.

I have 16GBs of space to put cool poo poo on for travelling, any goon input would be appreciated. Hope this wasn't too much input. I'm pretty terrible with mobile devices.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bollig posted:

Hey guys. I've kind of inherited a 2nd generation iPod (my wife has an iPhone and literally hasn't touched in a while). Here's my life situation:

We've moved to Europe, but still have a bunch of US-services. EG - Netflix, Pandora, Spotify; This will become important later.

I want to turn this into kind of a traveling companion. I'm willing to drop a little money into the apps, but there's the chance that this thing could up and die at any point. But here's a rando list of things I'm looking for:

Is there an app where I can just download the map for a city and then just be able to access it? Let's say I'm going to Barcelona and I don't get cell phone data and I want to have a map in my fingers. Is there an app that would just let me put the map on my phone and access it later? I don't even need to get directions or anything, just a map.

I don't need to have music on it, but I would like to have access to Pandora. Is there an easy VPN? My wife already has HideMyAss running on our iPad, so I could use that account, I guess.

What is the best alarm clock? I need this to be so certain that I can sleep the night before I have a flight. I'll always have my cell phone as a failsafe, but still, I will probably be using this function at home, and I'd like to be 100% certain.

Has the consensus changed on the best podcasting app since the OP?

Also do I need to update the firmware or any of that poo poo? This thing hasn't been touched for ~1.5 years.

I have 16GBs of space to put cool poo poo on for travelling, any goon input would be appreciated. Hope this wasn't too much input. I'm pretty terrible with mobile devices.

Check out travel fun box. It does offline mapping in a usable way. Check out Lifehacker's travel app guide as well.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

tuyop posted:

Check out travel fun box. It does offline mapping in a usable way. Check out Lifehacker's travel app guide as well.

Awesome thanks.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
apparently google play no longer works on a web page if you're using an ipad, great job google.
I have 100+ papers to grade and it might be nice to listen to some of my own music but apparently I'll have to go third party to access it. Any recommendations for players?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Doesn't google have their own first party play app?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

bollig posted:

If memory serves, the only alarm clock that will work for you is the built-in one (Clock.app). It works fine, though, except Apple could never seem to get daylight savings changes right, so be paranoid around then.

I wouldn't update anything, but it's probably too late. I remember the most modern version of iOS that ran on my 2nd gen iPod Touch ran like complete crap.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

The Dave posted:

Doesn't google have their own first party play app?

Yep. It's not a universal app, but it's still perfectly useable on an iPad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Paper is out for Facebook. Pretty slick so far.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paper-stories-from-facebook/id794163692?mt=8

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh wow, this is really nice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Anyone that has it already, can you use it through pages or only private profiles? I can't download it until I get home this evening, but I'm very interested in the whole story thing, especially if it can make my page have a larger presence with its audience.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

On my first use of Paper, I actually think I might like it more than the Facebook app :stare: This is a surprise.

Is your Facebook feed automatically sorted by Most Recent in Paper? Because if it is, I'm uninstalling the Facebook app and never going back.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Anyone in Canada able to load this in the App Store? Searching for Paper just gets me paper toss and its clones.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

tuyop posted:

Anyone in Canada able to load this in the App Store? Searching for Paper just gets me paper toss and its clones.
I searched "Paper" at first and only stupid games came up. Then I searched "Paper for Facebook" and it was the first result that came up.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

On my first use of Paper, I actually think I might like it more than the Facebook app :stare: This is a surprise.

Is your Facebook feed automatically sorted by Most Recent in Paper? Because if it is, I'm uninstalling the Facebook app and never going back.

I think it puts recent post first. The app is pretty nice. I already trashed the Facebook one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

serebralassazin posted:

I think it puts recent post first. The app is pretty nice. I already trashed the Facebook one.
gently caress yes. Bye forever official Facebook app!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Can't get it in the UK for some reason.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Yeah, it hasn't shown up in the Australian app store yet either. Hopefully be rolled out globally soon.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
They said it was US only for a while. I just made a US iTunes account with no credit card info using my normal GMail address but with +USA on the end and it worked fine to download it. Threw up an error on first load about signing in but when I entered my login info on the next page it didn't grumble.

Very nice though, I'll probably use this more than the normal app but need to keep that around as unless I'm missing something, Paper lacks any search options to find people, so you can't do wall posts or look at their profile without them having posted something into the feed at the bottom. And it doesn't do anything about letting you sign in as a Page either.

Edit: Scratch that, search is in the new post pulldown, as are settings to open Paper instead of Facebook when you get a push notification and options to add Pocket or whatever you like as a read later tool. Can't find anything on my Page to change to posting as it rather than me, although it does look very pretty. Also no options for changing privacy settings on a new post. Other than that, top notch replacement.

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 3, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It could very well be I'm misunderstanding you but as you create a post there's a word in a box directly under where you are typing [mine defaults to Friends] that dictates post privacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Am I the only one getting an awful first-run experience where it tells me out loud everything to do? :psyduck: How do I get it to shut up?

• Locked thread