Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
It doesn't really actually matter, either way the 'joke' is "I'm struggling not to look at something disgusting for the first few panels. What kind of trainwreck am I trying not to rubberneck? A masculine person wearing a feminine item of clothing! Haha, ew. How inherently absurd, what a gross punchline of a human being."

At that point it's kinda moot whether it's supposed to be a crossdressing guy or an offensive caricature of a transwoman.

The Sezza fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

I believe there's an alternate version where Opus compares it to "snail snot." Or maybe that was the actual title of one of Lola's pieces.

It's the beginning of the end for Deathtöngue, I'm afraid.

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Close To Home started in 1992; The Far Side ended in 1995. Draw your own conclusions.

Committed is, uh... something. A gag a day keeps the something away.

The Conjurers has some very nice artwork, and "is a companion to the upcoming novel, 'The Conjurers'. It is a chance to tell tales about a variety of characters from the novel. It will also include origin stories of the Conjurian, the secret, hidden realm of magicians."

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The Sezza posted:

It doesn't really actually matter, either way the 'joke' is "I'm struggling not to look at something disgusting for the first few panels. What kind of trainwreck am I trying not to rubberneck? A masculine person wearing a feminine item of clothing! Haha, ew. How inherently absurd, what a gross punchline of a human being."

At that point it's kinda moot whether it's supposed to be a crossdressing guy or an offensive caricature of a transwoman.

You liberal types are always looking to be offended, just like the fag in the punchline. Mike would clearly watch and be a fan of Ru Paul's Drag Race, but he is to busy to see it, and that's not his fault. Obviously, he doesn't have anything against the gays. I'm sure Mike's new acquaintance will explain any misunderstanding that may have arrived, it's only natural to be made uncomfortable by someone wearing the opposite sex's clothes! I am sure that this is going to be a funny, heartwarming and educational week, you loving pussies.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Achievement Comix.

Oh now how the hell are they supposed to get an unconscious body onto a moving train? He's got to weigh ten times dry what the two of them weigh together soaking wet. I'm with Poncho. Groan.

Ballard Street

Here's to life. Let's drink until our hearts stop.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moo- ... STINKYYY! :neckbeard:

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Some edits I've been sitting on:

And bonus avatar! Again!

Now that I think about it there should probably be a dickbutt in there, for consistency :v:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

BlueDestiny posted:

Now that I think about it there should probably be a dickbutt in there, for consistency :v:

And why not raine dog too?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Darthemed posted:

Committed is, uh... something. A gag a day keeps the something away.

I have a vague memory of this having an animated series, airing on one of the channels aimed at women.

The guy who drew this is a co-creator of "Over the Hedge", which was later a basis for the Dreamworks movie.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

¡Plop!

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Up until that Boston Terrier sort-of-joke, I had honestly thought that Ralph in Mother Goose and Grimm was a poorly-drawn cat for the last, like, twenty five years.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Karma Tornado posted:

Up until that Boston Terrier sort-of-joke, I had honestly thought that Ralph in Mother Goose and Grimm was a poorly-drawn cat for the last, like, twenty five years.

See, I could only remember Grimm and Atilla, and I had no idea who the hell Ralph was or where he came from.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

And why not raine dog too?

I just had to google that :gonk:

Ask and ye shall recieve

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

BlueDestiny posted:

I just had to google that :gonk:

Ask and ye shall recieve

GAAAAAA! That just wakes you right the hell up, doesn't it?! :v:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

I hate people who sneeze multiple times in a row. That just always bothers me.

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Business cat just called to make sure that we're singing from the same hymn sheet, that we're optimizing, synergizing, our portfolio, diversifying our assets by investing in other kinds of business pets.

Four Eyes

Arlo and Janis

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Darthemed posted:

Close To Home started in 1992; The Far Side ended in 1995. Draw your own conclusions.

This poo poo has been going for almost twenty years and he still draws like that? Holy poo poo.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shai-Hulud posted:

This poo poo has been going for almost twenty years and he still draws like that? Holy poo poo.

We live in a world where Ted Rall exists, and that's surprising to you?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Shai-Hulud posted:

I think it's nice that someone decided to let a blind man follow his dreams of being a cartoonist.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The pirate in Lost Side of Suburbia looks like the grandfather from Hey Arnold.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

:neckbeard: He's back!

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Dude, I was going to make the same thing yesterday but since there was no good shot of that guy I gave up. Should've paid attention to today's strip.

Thanks for saving me the effort though :3:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

When's Phantom going to show that lady his vault of The Bodies Of Women Who Have Seen Too Much?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GorfZaplen posted:

Heathcliff

:neckbeard: He's back!

I love Heathcliff. Has it always been like this? I don't think they carried it in the paper I read the comics of when I was a kid, but for whatever reason I got the impression that it was boring.

Everett True
March 22 & 23, 1918

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jesus this is hitting me harder than it should.

quote:

Zippy the Pinhead

I hate people who sneeze multiple times in a row. That just always bothers me.

As someone who sneezes multiple times, good, I'm glad. That's why we all do it.

quote:

Nancy

Lil' Dahlink, or whatever it was that Krazy Kat said.

quote:

Momma

gently caress yeah, Momma owns.

quote:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Just to check, is anybody reading the words in this?

Pakled posted:

I love Heathcliff. Has it always been like this? I don't think they carried it in the paper I read the comics of when I was a kid, but for whatever reason I got the impression that it was boring.

It's only relatively recently it became so poo poo as to become intriguing again.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I am. It's one of my new favorite comics in the thread.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Mr. Squishy posted:

I am, but it started being posted here at the tail end of a story. You're seeing the wrap-up of a pretty involved storyline that's been going on for a long while. I've been reading it on Gocomics almost since he started the strip. Somebody mentioned Lovecraft, but the art reminds me of Dr Seuss.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

LtStorm posted:

I am. It's one of my new favorite comics in the thread.

Me as well.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Likewise. It's fascinating without being grotesque.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

TofuDiva posted:

I am, but it started being posted here at the tail end of a story. You're seeing the wrap-up of a pretty involved storyline that's been going on for a long while. I've been reading it on Gocomics almost since he started the strip. Somebody mentioned Lovecraft, but the art reminds me of Dr Seuss.

Really? This felt like the start of a new storyline that was likely using previously seen character. I went back a few strips before the ones that started being posted here and this one felt like the start of a new storyline. It's the first mention of Slynderfell I saw going back through the archives for a bit, at least.

I'm going to read it from the start at some point either way though.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TofuDiva posted:

Mind giving us a brief summary of what's going on, then? I'm liking the comic, but I honestly have no idea what the hell.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones ("A Mad Look at Computer Language", Mad #258 October 1985)

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #63, June 1961)

In case you haven't figured out by now, Don Martin was rather twisted.

Thorn (February 8-10, 1984)

Lucky Cow (April 18, 2004)

drat you, Chaos Butterfly!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

LtStorm posted:

Really? This felt like the start of a new storyline that was likely using previously seen character. I went back a few strips before the ones that started being posted here and this one felt like the start of a new storyline. It's the first mention of Slynderfell I saw going back through the archives for a bit, at least.

I'm going to read it from the start at some point either way though.

Yeah, I think it's worth the read. He tells a pretty good tale. He has some recurring characters like Derring-Do Dan, and there are some in-jokes and major callbacks you'll get if you have read the other stories. Some of the art, I'd frame and hang on my wall in a New York minute.

The artist, Kory Merritt, is an elementary school art teacher. IIRC he started out on Sherpa and then transitioned to the main Gocomics site.

He seems to be getting some serious attention these days, although he hasn't released many details about that yet. (Probably can't, I'd guess.)

Kory Merritt's Lost Side of Suburbia website

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Wanamingo posted:

Mind giving us a brief summary of what's going on, then? I'm liking the comic, but I honestly have no idea what the hell.

Erm, well, I’m not sure I can do justice because it is an involved story, and it's worth reading it the way Kory wrote it, but here goes. Synopsis. Spoilered so as not to ruin it for people who want to go back and read the whole thing:

Suppose for a moment that there were beings – Takers - from elsewhere, who took children. Children just vanished. Now suppose that there was one Taker, Flimm, who not only disappeared them, but also disappeared their belongings and other people’s memories of them, so that not even their parents remembered that their child had existed. They were completely erased. But a very few people did remember, and went searching together for their lost daughters, sons, sisters and brothers.

Friendships and chance encounters added members to the little band, including, among others, the boy whose sister was taken, the boy no one liked, a girl who understood reptiles, and a chupacabra who, against all instinct, found she needed them. She later was captured by an ancient, complex creature in Halfrock swamp, but pled eloquently and gained compassionate release after talking to her captor about his most prized possession: a copy of The Giver.

The journey was long and crazy and dangerous as Taker after Taker was destroyed, and eventually the small band of seekers made it to the oddly-sinister Slynderfell ice cream factory (you do not want to know how the ice cream is made, with what, or by whom). There the loyal chupe was killed and her body left as a warning, and there another member of the band sacrificed his life to break Flimm and his minion Slynderfell, and release the Taken.

So now, despite horrible treachery from an unexpected source, the Taken are back with their families, the factory is under new management, and old Derring-Do Dan has come a-calling, apparently as a potential investor. He talks big, and somewhere under that coat is a decent heart. But things are never quite as they seem in the Lost Side of Suburbia, so the rest of the story will just have to run...

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 4, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 1-3, 1926)

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

The "Best possible quality originals" rears its head today, sorry. Still, Modesty has now met the enemy, and is about to be invited to the lair.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It would have been so easy to have Nancy looking pissed off in the second panel, and the joke would have been so much better.

TofuDiva posted:

Erm, well, I’m not sure I can do justice because it is an involved story, and it's worth reading it the way Kory wrote it, but here goes. Synopsis. Spoilered so as not to ruin it for people who want to go back and read the whole thing:

Hmm. At first I was like, "Whatever, I'm reading the spoilers, I don't have time to go back." But then it only took me about halfway through the first paragraph before I realized that I really am going to have to go back and read it for myself.

Luann

Apartment 3-G

They have kept a baby deer in their apartment for two weeks and have not even tried to find some sort of qualified wildlife professional to take it off their hands. That seems like great thinking there.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

February just got started, girls. This does not bode well for you for the next 25 days.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Holy poo poo :slick:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
These GoComics serials are quite intriguing. If the syndicates had any sense they'd try to break into this stuff online and try to get people reading these on their phones. Modern serial professional webcomics are huge in South Korea and they produce lots of similar quality stuff. I don't think this is because South Koreans are more artistically talented than us- just that the people running things got realized people would rather look at dynamic art and storylines in their phones than open a newspaper filled with twenty different kinds of shoddy art and punchlines.

Comics (January 19th 2007)

On a related note the two newcomers here are still in print.

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

Wikipedia posted:

The Total Woman sold more than ten million copies and was the bestselling nonfiction book of 1974.[1] Grounded in evangelical Christianity, it taught that "A Total Woman caters to her man's special quirks, whether it be in salads, sex or sports,"[2] and is perhaps best remembered for instructing wives to greet their husbands at the front door wearing sexy outfits, or draped in transparent saran wrap, with nothing (but herself) underneath. "It's only when a woman surrenders her life to her husband, reveres and worships him and is willing to serve him, that she becomes really beautiful to him," Morgan wrote.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Everybody gets this right? The direct translation was kind of mangled, but I think this one gets it across well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The largest pizzas I can get from any pizza place I know of are 18". Two of those are enough pizza for about six people. Is the rule that you should never have a meeting with more than six people? That seems like a pretty small number.

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

"Aunt" has got to be the wrong word here. That guy can't possibly be chief Dharma's grandchild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tiggum posted:

"Aunt" has got to be the wrong word here. That guy can't possibly be chief Dharma's grandchild.

My best guess is that "aunt by descent" has a different meaning than just aunt, but I really have no idea. I think in English he might be a first cousin once (or more) removed in the nonintuitive direction, but apparently Korean doesn't have a special term for that.

• Locked thread