Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

It seems almost inevitable that Johnny's crew will wind up with spectral powers, and I bet that the newspaper people will always be the "normal human" representation.

Suzy will be played in the movie adaptation by JK Simmons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Magnet Snakes definitely isn't a hydra right now, as evidenced by one of the wallpapers in the extras section.

But I don't see how that precludes it being part of a fractured greater whole.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tollymain posted:

Magnet Snakes definitely isn't a hydra right now, as evidenced by one of the wallpapers in the extras section.

But I don't see how that precludes it being part of a fractured greater whole.

Yeah, in the cover art for chapter 2, it looks a hell of a lot like a hand.

Also, apparently PJ's last words were "Heh, I accidentally buttered both sides of my toast." The little things. :allears:

Kesshan
Jan 29, 2010

New page is up! I was under the impression that they were cats the entire time, but apparently they're dogs.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Spender is pretty competent.

Looks like those two dogs aren't coming back, either, with their remainder-spirits sliced into two.

Now that the third dog is outside the barrier it's probably going to track down the Forge spirit, and lead Spender directly to him.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I find it interesting that Spender is almost exclusively utilizing generic Spectral energy kung-fu of the sort Isabel's granddad teaches, and hasn't at all bothered with his actual unique powers. Probably a sign that he's not really loving around quite so much anymore, that he's exercising restraint.

I guess this also addresses how Max will have combat viability. His magnetism is useless on offense but Generic Spectral Power is a thing, and pretty potent at that.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I like how Isabel doesn't look surprised at all.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Pretty racist for Spender to just assume that a language he doesn't understand is evil.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Heavy Zed posted:

Pretty racist for Spender to just assume that a language he doesn't understand is evil.

He understood it, they were just cursing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Just wait til it gets translated.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
Spender's surprisingly efficient when he isn't being needlessly flashy.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
So, how much ya wanna bet those dogs are somehow connected to those pasty fooligans who were raiding Max's Dad's shop. I am basing this solely on the fact that there are three of them and three dogs, though they look like the sorta low-lives who wouldn't be above such foul skull language.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"You can't hitch a ride on the ghost train with the Sunglasses man" and then Spencer jumped out of the ghost train.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

red plastic cup posted:

So, how much ya wanna bet those dogs are somehow connected to those pasty fooligans who were raiding Max's Dad's shop. I am basing this solely on the fact that there are three of them and three dogs, though they look like the sorta low-lives who wouldn't be above such foul skull language.

Aaaaand then I spent a little while reading after that link.

I really want more Ed screentime.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

red plastic cup posted:

This entire time I thought it was pastry fooligans. Kinda disappointed :(

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat

red plastic cup posted:

So, how much ya wanna bet those dogs are somehow connected to those pasty fooligans who were raiding Max's Dad's shop.

I forgot how good those four panels of phone gag are :allears:

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

I never read the text on that bag of marshmallows before. That's beautiful.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Just started this comic, when does it get good / less anime? I'm about 20 pages in and ready to quit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Darth Windu posted:

Just started this comic, when does it get good / less anime? I'm about 20 pages in and ready to quit.
Try to get through Chapter 2. Chapter 1, the comic is still finding his feet. If you still don't like it after Chapter 2, you're objectively wrong it's not for you.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Darth Windu posted:

It continuously gets better and more anime. I am sorry you can't appreciate the witty badinage and striking visuals.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, the comic definitely gets stronger in Chapter 2 and onwards, but it never stops being pretty anime. Especially since one of the characters is the most anime.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Darth Windu posted:

Never. It never stops being anime.

e:

NEVER.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 5, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AnonSpore posted:

Never. It never stops being anime.

e:

NEVER.
You can't cut his deadpan reaction to that. That's just not fair.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Man what is it you hate about anime?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Heavy Zed posted:

Man what is it you hate about anime?

Anime is pretty atrocious but Paranatural continuously makes fun of anime and anime tropes so I don't see the conflict of interests myself :shobon:

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!
Yeah, I'm not someone who trashes anime just because it's anime (I actually unironically like certain series), but like anything else, little of it is any good and is laden with certain tropes. Zack's more than aware of the anime elements that pervade his comic and that Isaac is basically the embodiment of anime, and has fun with it and not in that heavy-handed, blatant, "Hoo, boy, anime is weird!" way that a lot of other stuff uses.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, Paranatural basically takes the good/fun tropes from anime - over the top heroics and poses, cool superpowers, vibrant colors - and simultaneously makes fun of them and embraces them. It also keeps out the bad (Zack has gone on record saying the cast is as young as they are explicitly so he doesn't have to care about romance, for instance). But if the word "anime" is inherently triggering for you regardless of why, you'll probably hate the comic.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Darth Windu posted:

So anime it rules. :3

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Darth Windu's dislike of this comic only reaffirmed my enjoyment of it.

Hating something for being "anime" makes about as much sense as hating "books" . This comic is anime as gently caress.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Leaning on cheap visual shorthand that anime uses is a crutch and prevents artists from finding their own style, as is patently obvious in this comic, but I got through chapter two and it is fun enough in a dumb way that I can keep reading it. Not the be all end all that I've heard, but not terrible. Comfortably mediocre.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wow, I didn't know it was possible to stuff that much smug into three sentences.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Mostly I keep waiting for the kid to release his bankai or ascend to Super Ghost Level 3.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Calm down about webcomics, animes and whatever else you're getting needlessly worked up over.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 5, 2014

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Darth Windu posted:

Mostly I keep waiting for the kid to release his bankai or ascend to Super Ghost Level 3.
That'll happen when it gets to the third tournament arc.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Darth Windu posted:

Oh my god this is a thing that will happen.
At one point Ed's brush will turn into like, a sharpie or something.
And it will be the animest.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Still waiting for Isabel to blush and say "I-it's not like I like you or anything, baka!" to Max

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Darth Windu posted:

Leaning on cheap visual shorthand that anime uses is a crutch and prevents artists from finding their own style, as is patently obvious in this comic, but I got through chapter two and it is fun enough in a dumb way that I can keep reading it. Not the be all end all that I've heard, but not terrible. Comfortably mediocre.

He doesn't lean on any shorthand, and embracing your influences while making fun of their foibles is not a crutch. As for your Count Pococurante nonsense, congratulations, you're too intelligent and cultured for comics. Leave us pigs to wallow in this filth. ;~;

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Darth Windu posted:

I swear in every thread I see you, you have some chip on your shoulder or something to prove that you're better than everyone else.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Darth Windu posted:

:smug: Better than you plebians :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Zoolooman posted:

He doesn't lean on any shorthand, and embracing your influences while making fun of their foibles is not a crutch. As for your Count Pococurante nonsense, congratulations, you're too intelligent and cultured for comics. Leave us pigs to wallow in this filth. ;~;

There really is pleasure to be found in having no pleasure sometimes, but in spite of myself and all critical awareness I'm enjoying this comic. You should recommend skipping chapter one and reading two through three, though, as three is where it actually gets good.