Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokoban
Feb 16, 2011

THUNDERDOME
LOSER

melon cat posted:

"Yes, this is an actual PC game screenshot!"

Look at the detail on those... cube-shaped hands...!

Goddamn Unreal blew my loving mind when it came out, you kids these days have it so good :bahgawd:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

Only because developers were stuck on gaming hardware from 2005 for the past several years. Expect it to really pick up in the next year again.

Nope. The tech hasn't been improving at the same rate it was, and there's incredible diminishing returns on how much each bit of improvement improves the overall image. Stuff's going to look better, but the size of jumps will be increasingly disappointing.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Leofish posted:

"You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

Shut it, Frodo.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

Is that a ball-boy?

Yes it is, and don't call me "boy".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

Only because developers were stuck on gaming hardware from 2005 for the past several years. Expect it to really pick up in the next year again.

theflyingorc posted:

Nope. The tech hasn't been improving at the same rate it was, and there's incredible diminishing returns on how much each bit of improvement improves the overall image. Stuff's going to look better, but the size of jumps will be increasingly disappointing.

Bingo flyingorc. It's not that stuff won't look prettier, but video game tech has passed the bar of truly looking "good enough" for everyone's eyes. It'll look dated to future eyes, to be sure, but it won't be like looking back at 1993-2007 polygons and going "I can't believe ANYONE ever thought this was good."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

mind the walrus posted:

Bingo flyingorc. It's not that stuff won't look prettier, but video game tech has passed the bar of truly looking "good enough" for everyone's eyes. It'll look dated to future eyes, to be sure, but it won't be like looking back at 1993-2007 polygons and going "I can't believe ANYONE ever thought this was good."

Yeah, the intro of 3D was rough as gently caress - I mean, you can look back at sprite-based 2D games and think that they're a little retro, but not too bad. But early 3D was just janky in a way that could not be loved. And people thought it was the most amazing thing at the time, too!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, the intro of 3D was rough as gently caress - I mean, you can look back at sprite-based 2D games and think that they're a little retro, but not too bad. But early 3D was just janky in a way that could not be loved. And people thought it was the most amazing thing at the time, too!
We still had to use our imaginations back then :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be totally fair the novelty and fresh experience of moving in a digital 3D environment excused the initial ugliness, and most AAA developers mastered how to make characters "feel" good in your hands by like, 1996 which went a LONG way to offsetting the ugliness of the graphics.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
And to counterpoint early 3D, Spyro and Megaman Legends. Both of those look good despite their vintage.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

umalt posted:

And to counterpoint early 3D, Spyro and Megaman Legends. Both of those look good despite their vintage.

This is true. It's probably because the style they went with allowed the games to look good despite a low-poly limit. They weren't trying to be "realistic" like Unreal.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

Actually I doubt that somewhat. Once you get to near-photorealistic, people will be looking back at today's "creepy human puppets with glowing white eyes and blocky hair".

It's really hard for game companies to get eyes, lips, and hair just right for some reason. Not quite uncanny valley, but nowhere near like you're watching a movie either.

sticklefifer has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Feb 3, 2014

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

But early 3D was just janky in a way that could not be loved.

Looks like you never heard of Visor Man!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Actually I doubt that somewhat. Once you get to near-photorealistic, people will be looking back at today's "creepy human puppets with glowing white eyes and blocky hair".

It's really hard for game companies to get eyes, lips, and hair just right for some reason. Not quite uncanny valley, but nowhere near like you're watching a movie either.

That's actually true and I hadn't thought about that aspect.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah, there's a lot that can be done yet in terms of subsurface-level rendering, too. Flat textures wrapped around a polygon work pretty decently, but in reality, a lot of what we see is influenced by effects extending slightly beneath the outer layer, especially for the appearance of human skin, that have the potential to significantly improve the reality of a scene when and if it can be rendered in something like realtime. A little bit on wikipedia about it.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Feb 3, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Now see, if The Simpsons Movie was like this, I would have liked it more.

And now for the obvious title to this: "Breaking Ned"

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I like the fly reference, but I cannot forgive the pizza having a sloppy slice taken out of it. No bread sticks either!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mng posted:

I like the fly reference, but I cannot forgive the pizza having a sloppy slice taken out of it. No bread sticks either!

*Dippin sticks

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Chinese sunrise:

(:smith:)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kanfy posted:

Chinese sunrise:

(:smith:)

Debunked, if that makes you feel any better.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

theflyingorc posted:

Debunked, if that makes you feel any better.

So they don't even get that much? :v:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kanfy posted:

So they don't even get that much? :v:

It's just a billboard thing that happened to have a sunset, it isn't a pathetic surrogate to a sunset like the internet says.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Missing Name posted:

They should spell check their ads before running them.

They only wrote it like that so the majority of the pubbies that play that game will be able to read it in their native language.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tagichatn posted:

They only wrote it like that so the majority of the pubbies that play that game will be able to read it in their native language.

upgrade ur turrent

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

I am the one who niddly-diddly knocks.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

"I'm the one who howdilly doodilly's"

Edit: God damnit

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Livin' the dream.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
That's nothing compared to how my cousin Walter died.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Look at that good ole Christian kid, double-flippin' the birds all stealth-like.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Captain Trips posted:

That's nothing compared to how my cousin Walter died.

I could never reach :sigh:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
On the topic of grotesques how about we talk about your mom this one on the Washington National Cathedral.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:wtf:

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

mng posted:

Look in the rv window.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Went over to the in-laws house for the Super Bowl™ to find out that the guy who's dating their other daughter had insisted he fix their sticky door. So he pulled out the old door and replaced it with this monstrosity. Bad craftsmanship is my favorite.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

theflyingorc posted:

It's just a billboard thing that happened to have a sunset, it isn't a pathetic surrogate to a sunset like the internet says.

Unfortunately, this one is real:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/03/fake-hong-kong-skyline_n_3830750.html

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Went over to the in-laws house for the Super Bowl™ to find out that the guy who's dating their other daughter had insisted he fix their sticky door. So he pulled out the old door and replaced it with this monstrosity. Bad craftsmanship is my favorite.

For when you have to impress your girlfriend's parents but have nothing worthwhile to offer:

Wreck their door frame.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

bewilderment posted:

Oh yeah. I meant that Black Dog was dumb adult stuff and the occasional tasteful treatment of mature subject matter, not that it was only the latter.

I'd never leave the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sokoban posted:

Goddamn Unreal blew my loving mind when it came out, you kids these days have it so good :bahgawd:

Not gonna lie, when Quake first came out and EVERYTHING was 3D, I lost my poo poo. That game was wickedly creepy too

• Locked thread