Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

PhD's are important, but most of the connections and fieldwork that will potentially get your foot in the door is through your university's connections. My friend is doing development economics and is still working on his PhD, in between in Uganda and Kenya figuring out problems with small scale loans and banking. Both of these came through his economic development adviser who has solid clout in that industry. (Jon Robinson, if you're wondering-- probably the best professor/teacher I've ever had) It also helps to have a really solid knowledge of Stata or another equivalent software suite. With a PhD after school, your prospects are high for work with NGOs and you'll always be working on something interesting.

Man, this makes me wanna go back to college to pursue more econ. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Are there any technical writers in the house who can give me some pointers on how to approach this:

quote:

Hi Bucket Joneses,

XXXXXXXX sent me your resume and asked me to reach out to you. Please send me a couple of writing samples. I’m most interested in technical material, but would be happy to review anything that demonstrates your ability to explain a complex topic to a sophisticated audience in the simplest way possible.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

I've never had a technical writing position so I don't want to submit something that gets me laughed out of the room for being wildly inappropriate or ridiculous. I was thinking of just writing up a lay explanation of something I know like jailbreaking or XBMC but any other opinions are certainly welcome.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Man, this makes me wanna go back to college to pursue more econ. :smith:

Thanks for your reply, what your friend is doing sounds ideal. I think I'll make an appointment with the career service and see what they recommend, otherwise I might have to look at coming up with a proposition for a PhD thesis.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
I guess this would be a good place to ask this:

How long would you recommend staying at a job before looking elsewhere?

For a bit of background: I went to college right after high school and graduated with a BS in finance last Spring. I had a few interviews before graduating with no offer and spent my summer working a minimum wage job near my home. Finally, in August I had an interview at a bank for a research position, and knowing I did not want to work for minimum wage anymore I took the job right away.

Since starting, however, it's become increasingly clear that this is not what I want to be doing. It's not a matter of "I hate my boss" or anything, I'm just quickly realizing this job is not a great fit for me at all. The disinterest in the job is only compounded by the work-life balance - generally 12 hour days that can stretch to as much as 18/19 depending on what work needs to be done.

I know it's still a new job and of course the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but I figure right now I have the most potential for figuring out what I actually want to do. That said, I'm wondering when the best time to start looking at other opportunities would be. I would assume putting in at least a year, especially considering this is my first 'real' job, would be the general consensus.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've heard 2-3 years minimum (I'm also in finance), otherwise you'll look like too much of a flake on your resume.

In the meantime you should update your linkedin profile etc. if you haven't already.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
2-3 is the standard answer but poo poo you've only got one life and thats a really long time if you know you're not where you want to be or on the path to get there.

If you don't like it for clear reasons, or better, you can clearly point to what you'd enjoy more, start building those skills as much as you can, and begin looking for those jobs now and articulate on interviews why you're moving so quickly. I think its pretty easy to spot a flake vs someone that just isn't a good fit for their current position.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I want to get into QA, particularly in metrology doing QA. I have a BS in biology and an MS in molecular biology. Currently, I am working as a calibration tech in an ISO 17025 lab. I am doing physical calibrations including torque, temperature/humidity, weights/scales, pressure, force, and probably more that I'm forgetting. I'm being paid fairly well. However, eventually, after another year or two, I want to be in quality, whether it's at the company where I am now or another.

What can I do as a calibration tech to start working toward quality? Obviously making no mistakes on my certifications is a good start, but what more?

This is a field I enjoy a lot as I like working hands on, I have the scientific background to understand the process and appropriate unit conversions and statistics. But, I am already in my 30's and I don't want to be lifting heavy weights at work or putting out 600 ft.lbs on a torque wrench manually forever. Plus I want to earn more with better benefits, which will require the next career step.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah

trashcangammy posted:

Thanks for your reply, what your friend is doing sounds ideal. I think I'll make an appointment with the career service and see what they recommend, otherwise I might have to look at coming up with a proposition for a PhD thesis.

Wait, have you heard of this?
http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/networks/ges/assistant/diplomatic-service

Unless I've misunderstood you and you actually want to go work for NGOs abroad?

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

jet_dee posted:

Wait, have you heard of this?
http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/networks/ges/assistant/diplomatic-service

Unless I've misunderstood you and you actually want to go work for NGOs abroad?

Thanks for this, it's connected to the government economic service jobs I was going to look into but I might have missed this. I want to keep my options open, the worst case scenario would be graduating without a solid idea of where to pick up more experience.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Last day in my current role tomorrow. After a few days off I start a new role in the same firm but in a different department in a different office... On a different continent. I've always worked hard at whatever I've done but I feel like I've learned more trying to position myself for this opportunity than anything else in my career. There are a lot of aspects to the change (leaving people management behind, learning a lot of new stuff, being part of a brand new team, moving across an ocean...) but I'm so excited for it to happen. Actually love my current job too but the opportunity was too big not to pursue. Career path indeed!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I thought maybe I'd made a post like this before, but maybe I just decided not to when I couldn't find a place to post it. I only just noticed this thread.

I don't want to get all E/N, but suffice it to say I am 30 and I need a new gig. My problem is that while I like working and I am not lazy, I have no specific work related aspirations (except totally unrealistic hopes that I cannot alleviate myself of, such as 'become a novelist' ).

So rather than go over a long and boring story or try to think of every relevant detail or work experience and job skills to post here, I want to approach this differently. Can anyone recommend some means that I could use to aid me in determining what I should be doing in some rudimentary way? Like, a book, webpage, questionnaire, advice counseling, or whatever form of information there is out there. My googling hasn't gotten me much besides asinine listicles. Even if good help is out there, I certainly don't expect wonders, but I hope something like that can point me in a direction which I can then assess the merits of at that point.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What Color is Your Parachute

I'm still working my way through it, but pretty good so far. I'm sorta in the same position as you.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Magnetic North posted:

I thought maybe I'd made a post like this before, but maybe I just decided not to when I couldn't find a place to post it. I only just noticed this thread.

I don't want to get all E/N, but suffice it to say I am 30 and I need a new gig. My problem is that while I like working and I am not lazy, I have no specific work related aspirations (except totally unrealistic hopes that I cannot alleviate myself of, such as 'become a novelist' ).

So rather than go over a long and boring story or try to think of every relevant detail or work experience and job skills to post here, I want to approach this differently. Can anyone recommend some means that I could use to aid me in determining what I should be doing in some rudimentary way? Like, a book, webpage, questionnaire, advice counseling, or whatever form of information there is out there. My googling hasn't gotten me much besides asinine listicles. Even if good help is out there, I certainly don't expect wonders, but I hope something like that can point me in a direction which I can then assess the merits of at that point.

Try finding job positions in related fields but different from what you're doing. For example, I have an MS in molecular biology. I've done neurological genetics on fruit flies, heart research on rats, and am now calibrating physical instruments such as torque wrenches, force gauges, and thermometers. I like this gig the best and it's quite different from where I thought I'd be.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Hoping for a little guidance on some upcoming choices I've been having trouble dealing with career wise.
A little background first: Graduated with a degree in Biology and got accepted into a MS program in 2010. MS funding got cut so I had to find a real job, ended up doing sales operations at a well known tech company for quite a while until I left to go back to school. I wanted to pursue a degree in nutrition, but later found out the pay for RD’s ranges from not good to just ok, switched to looking into other health care options and picked up a part time job at a non-profit to fill in the gaps while in school which is temporary – my position ends in early summer. I ended up halting on school so we could focus on my fiancé finishing her program and our wedding etc (June, excited!) and so I’ve been working more hours at my current job.

Part of why I left my old job was management issues, and the other is that I was bored to hell doing what I was doing. I liked some of the aspects – it was really heavy in problem solving and making sure every campaign went smoothly without the clients knowing we’d never fulfilled a request like theirs before etc. I liked working with our legal team to figure out contracts, and our finance team to figure out billing issues. I did not like being constantly in excel, although I’m now pretty proficient at data management and basic excel (vlookups, nested if’s, etc).

This is where I’m stuck. I’m tired of making terrible money at my temp job, and while I’d love to return to science in some capacity, there is obviously very little money or opportunity to have if you don’t have a PHD or are not in engineering.

A friend of my works at a startup and sent my resume to her boss, the SVP of the company who said “I want to interview this guy.” I got a call today to set up the interview, called my friend to discuss the position further, and will be calling them back tomorrow to set up it all up. The problem is, I’m not that excited to get back to tech, especially for a product that isn’t too exciting to me.

It’s an account management position, which is a departure from my sales ops background, but I’m positive I’d do very well at it. My current position is phone support to very cranky old people and I’m excellent at keeping them happy, so it’s a good blend of my previous skills. The part that I just found out today is that it’s a really small team, they literally just started it a few months ago, so I feel like there would be a ton of room for expansion since the company itself seems to be doing really well.

I love being part of a small dynamic team, it was when I did my best work at my old position. The pay (if I did my math right, about 35k with full bonuses) is lower than what I was making when I left my old job, but better than my current position, and I’m hoping that as the team expands so will the salary and bonuses. I know that pay is terrible for a lot of posters in this thread, but hey, you gotta start somewhere I guess. I think it’s a big chance, but hopefully a good payoff in the end if the team ends up growing a lot.

Another option is a nursing program (I have a general interest in health-care) but the problem is going back to school again full time will be kind of tough financially since my fiancé will just be getting her career off the ground as well. I’m notoriously bad for getting really excited about something career wise, starting down the path, and then realizing maybe its not for me. I guess that’s pretty normal for a 25 year old, but I’d like to stop doing this since it stresses me out (and her too of course).

I also have a lead on another job that would be health-care related, with nearly double the pay of the AM position but it has yet to be posted. The person doing the hiring is the best friend of my future brother in law, so I do have an in and it sounds like a pretty awesome job. I feel like so much is up in the air that I’m kind of paralyzed, and I don’t want to jump on the account manager position just because it’s been my first solid lead since leaving my old job if I’m just going to end up unhappy again.

I’m going to check out the above mentioned What Color Is Your Parachute, because I have no loving clue, but would appreciate any general advice in the meantime either about how to stall if I do receive a job offer or how to approach any of this in a better way. This turned out really long! I’m a little uncomfortable posting my LinkedIn like a few previous posters, but guess I could upload a resume with the personal information removed if it would help to see my background and skills. Thanks all.

Goky
Jan 11, 2005
Goky is like Goku only more kawaii ^____^
I need some advice on leaving a job after only 6 months. The job is a unique position at a small company--as such, there's no real upward mobility. I don't really have a "Senior Position" to look forward to--where I'm at is as far as I'll go. I was fully aware of this going into the company, but I saw it as an opportunity to gain experience in a new area so that the door could open to other careers at other companies after 2-3 years. Unexpectedly, the opportunity to jump ship and head to another company has happened a lot sooner than I expected. For context, this is my first job out of school (Ph.D. in Chemistry).

Cons for leaving:
1) I'm afraid it'll look bad to future employers to have only worked a job for 6 months.
2) It's a small world, and I'm worried that sour grapes (over me leaving so quickly) from my current company could come back to bite me in the future.

Cons for staying:
1) If I stay, I'm worried that I'll miss out on a great opportunity and be stuck at a job that I'm not exactly in love with as it is.
2) Right now there's another guy at my position, so they're not completely stuck without me. If that changes, then I'll probably feel even guiltier about leaving.

This isn't anything I'm accustomed to, so feedback is welcome :)

Goky fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 30, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Magnetic North posted:

Two years ago I started writing and now I make five figures a month as a novelist. It's only unrealistic if you plan on not working hard.

I really like Paul Graham's essay How to Do What You Love: http://paulgraham.com/love.html

"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. It causes you to work not on what you like, but what you'd like to like.

That's what leads people to try to write novels, for example. They like reading novels. They notice that people who write them win Nobel prizes. What could be more wonderful, they think, than to be a novelist? But liking the idea of being a novelist is not enough; you have to like the actual work of novel-writing if you're going to be good at it; you have to like making up elaborate lies."

didn't realize it would be so apropos, but there you have it :)

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

I wanted to pursue a degree in nutrition, but later found out the pay for RD’s ranges from not good to just ok

Could you talk more about this? The OOH make being an RD look decently paid for a job with not terrible hours.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

BrainParasite posted:

Could you talk more about this? The OOH make being an RD look decently paid for a job with not terrible hours.

Certainly! For me I would have had to get a 2nd bachelors degree, which I could have completed in about 2 years full time (15+ credits a semester) at ASU. Then you have to do an unpaid internship, which are incredibly competitive and cost anywhere from 15-25k and range from 8-12 months. You pretty much apply anywhere and are matched with one via a matching program. After this you sit for your RD exam to get your credentials. Jobs in my area were always pretty slim, but the most common ones were planning hospital meals for around $13-15/hour. Salaries seem to max out at around $50k unless you're very entrepreneurial. I jumped ship at that point, didn't seem like it was worth the school, internship, potential future MS degree (most programs are switching to this) to make $15/hour for two years and then max out at around $50k.

Of course now I'm in the above situation, sooo maybe I'm not the best one to talk to about it! That was just my take on it, it seems like a fairly limiting career to me even over the long-term.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

Certainly! For me I would have had to get a 2nd bachelors degree, which I could have completed in about 2 years full time (15+ credits a semester) at ASU. Then you have to do an unpaid internship, which are incredibly competitive and cost anywhere from 15-25k and range from 8-12 months. You pretty much apply anywhere and are matched with one via a matching program. After this you sit for your RD exam to get your credentials. Jobs in my area were always pretty slim, but the most common ones were planning hospital meals for around $13-15/hour. Salaries seem to max out at around $50k unless you're very entrepreneurial.

Ouch. Being a dietician was a back up plan I was considering, but that sounds worse than my situation now.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Goky posted:

I need some advice on leaving a job after only 6 months. The job is a unique position at a small company--as such, there's no real upward mobility...

I'm going through this right now -- leaving a job after 6 months. Before that I only stayed a year, and before that was about 4 years. First of all, don't worry about it. Certainly looking like a "job hopper" can hurt you, but there are ways to turn it around and make it a positive. This is especially true if you've only done it once. When someone asks, tell them you were looking for something more challenging, with more growth potential. No one can knock you for that. Here's a great video with more info: http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/career-advice-for-job-hoppers-video/

As far as your pros/cons:

Goky posted:

Cons for leaving:
1) I'm afraid it'll look bad to future employers to have only worked a job for 6 months.
2) It's a small world, and I'm worried that sour grapes (over me leaving so quickly) from my current company could come back to bite me in the future.

1) Like I said, turn it into a positive. Also, this should be the last thing an employer looks at. Present yourself well and the exact timelines of your previous work is a footnote.
2) There will always be sour grapes when you quit no matter how long you stay.

Goky posted:

Cons for staying:
1) If I stay, I'm worried that I'll miss out on a great opportunity and be stuck at a job that I'm not exactly in love with as it is.
2) Right now there's another guy at my position, so they're not completely stuck without me. If that changes, then I'll probably feel even guiltier about leaving.

1) There are millions of jobs, so don't worry if you decide not to jump on this particular opportunity. That being said, if it's obviously better than your current situation, don't hesitate.
2) Again, don't worry about how your employer is going to handle it. There will always be sour grapes and they/you can always find a reason why it sucks if you leave. But, you have to look out for yourself, because no one else is going to.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Thanks for all the responses.

zmcnulty posted:

What Color is Your Parachute

If I can figure out how to buy this on Amazon and read this on my tablet, I will give this a look. Not big on self-help, but this seems to have been taken through its paces.

johnny sack posted:

Try finding job positions in related fields but different from what you're doing. For example, I have an MS in molecular biology. I've done neurological genetics on fruit flies, heart research on rats, and am now calibrating physical instruments such as torque wrenches, force gauges, and thermometers. I like this gig the best and it's quite different from where I thought I'd be.

With a degree in philosophy and work experience in telephone customer service and data entry/administration, I'm not sure where that puts me. I've been trying to parlay it into regular administrative work or maybe human resources, but no dice so far.

moana posted:

It's only unrealistic if you plan on not working hard.

That is moderately encouraging. Normally I say that 'hope' is a dirty four-letter word, but maybe I should entertain the idea. Then again, I haven't written in 6 years (since working full time an hour away from home) so who knows if I still actually have the desire or if I just idolize the idea. Then again, I spend almost all my slow time brainstorming. Maybe I should get some low pressure, low pay job close to home so I have time and energy again, or maybe set aside a few weekends to see if I can even get anything out.

Any specific advice for that path? (I will accept 'Don't.')

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

If I can figure out how to buy this on Amazon and read this on my tablet, I will give this a look.

Simple enough, there's a Kindle app for iOS and Android, and that book is in the Kindle store.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Magnetic North posted:

Any specific advice for that path? (I will accept 'Don't.')
Write. Try it on weekends first. See if you like it. If you like it after writing 30,000 words, then feel free to message me with any more questions about how to start.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
So this may seem like a "duh" question to some folks, but I'm trying to make sure I evaluate all he options and am going about this in a professional way.

I'm 25, and work as a senior engineer/PM for a large ISP. I do pretty well at my job and have been put on a track for advancement (I'm in my second promotion in three years). I get paid pretty well for what I do and the hours/demands are pretty reasonable. Don't hate my co-workers, don't mind my work. All in all, a pretty safe gig, and one that I could see continuing for a while.

However, I've recently been headhunted to interview for a job at an extremely competitive tech company as a PM/engineer (same thing I do now basically). The pay and benefits are considerably better (about 2x), and it'd be work that I think I could get more excited about. Work would probably increase (I'd be okay with that) but I'd have to move to a significantly more expensive city.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out which variables to consider. At a high level, it's a fairly simple risk/reward choice, but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything to consider.

Pros:
More money
Better benefits
Better resume builder
More exciting projects

Cons:
New, more expensive city
Highly competitive work environment
Less job security
Departure from solid "company man" career path

What am I missing?

Second half of this is, what is the protocol for talking with different employers? I'd been told handing out resumes is fine, but if you interview, it's proper to inform your current employer. This is true doubly so because I'd want to use folks from my current employer as references. I don't know what the proper procedure is, because at that point I think I'd be burning a bridge in terms of my advancement at my current company.

e: should clarify, new company is not a start-up. Longevity of either company is not a concern.

SuperSpiff fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 31, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've been told that you should never mention you are interviewing because if you don't get that job (or even decide you don't want it) they're going to really wonder about your commitment and possibly end up replacing you before you leave, or just denying promotions advancements. It kind of sucks but its self protection.

"The company man" is basically dead, unless its a family business or some kind of extra-work circumstances ties you to the place. Job security in general is pretty nebulous, layoffs are like natural disasters. If the new job sounds more exciting pays better and opens more doors, take it. Just do the right things when you leave and your old company will probably not fault you (or if they do, thats their problem). They'll be bummed but life goes on and most people get the way things work these days.

For references, usually they do not contact them until after the deal is done and generally due to legal stuff its just a call to HR to confirm you actually worked there for whatever number of years you said. I guess sometimes they really use references but seems like they realize its pretty awkward and don't call them directly.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Is the new pay enough to comfortably live in the more expensive city? At 25 I say go for it, provided that there are things in that city that attract you. Three years in at your job is a decent time and you wouldn't be ditching them too early or anything like that. Negotiate for sweet relocation assistance from the new place if they aren't offering it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You have absolutely no obligation to mention to your current employer that you are going to a job interview at a different company, I don't think nearly anyone would recommend you do so, ever.

It's frankly none of their goddamn business what you do with your personal time outside of your current job with them

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hi all, I could use some guidance on how to develop my career.
I am 24 years old - graduated with a BA in Economics in 2011. My post graduation work maps out as follows:
Commissioned magazine ad sales - 7 months
loving around in Europe teaching English - 6 months
unemployment - 2 months
Working as an ESL tutor in the USA - 9 months
Working as a payroll/business tax/HR consultant - 10 months

As you can see, I'm kind of flailing about without any direction in mind. I know that I hate my current job because the hours are long and the work environment is a non-stop assault on the senses. I feel like I have a lot of skills your average libarts grad doesn't have (I can do excel! Calculate an integral! Use VBA like a boss! Speak Spanish!) but my skills stack up pitifully next to someone with a technical degree, like computer science or electrical engineering. I don't want to pigeonhole myself into the things I've already done but I don't know what I can actually do without going back to college and getting a more math-y degree. I feel so discouraged because it seems like nothing I'm qualified for pays more than $10/hour. Not to mention I'm $15k in debt from my first go-round at college.

Thread:
What direction can I aim at with my current skills?
Should I go back to school to get a technical degree?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Payroll administrators basically never make less than $50,000 a year where I am and one that knows actual VBA would be some kind of superman never seen before.

Mr_Schmoo
Dec 10, 2002

I’m in an odd situation now that you kind of want. I've been unemployed these past few months and just came out of two very good interviews with two companies. Both companies seem to want to hire me. Company A is decent yet has fair pay while Company B pays better and will be more of a dream job.

I got an email from Company A today that they want me to have another interview and possibly hire me. Company B may let me know their decision early next week or later, but it seems like it’s a lock. Keep in mind that I really want to work for Company B.

If I go work for Company A and in two weeks get a call from Company B, how horrible a person am I if I say “I’m quitting to go work for the other company”? Is that common? Should I bring my situation up at the Company A interview? What can they do to me if I tell them I’m leaving for someone else?

My worst fear is to tell Company A that I won’t take the job to later find out that Company B changed their minds and I lose everything. Right now, I am making up an excuse that I’m busy and can’t get back to Company A until a few days from now.

I am also not a very Machiavellian person, so suggestions from anyone who is would be appreciated.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
If company B is more desirable to you, the logical thing is to get their offer/rejection first, so I'd make up some excuse that puts off the interview with company A a week or two so as to buy time.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Mr_Schmoo posted:

I’m in an odd situation now that you kind of want. I've been unemployed these past few months and just came out of two very good interviews with two companies. Both companies seem to want to hire me. Company A is decent yet has fair pay while Company B pays better and will be more of a dream job.

I got an email from Company A today that they want me to have another interview and possibly hire me. Company B may let me know their decision early next week or later, but it seems like it’s a lock. Keep in mind that I really want to work for Company B.

If I go work for Company A and in two weeks get a call from Company B, how horrible a person am I if I say “I’m quitting to go work for the other company”? Is that common? Should I bring my situation up at the Company A interview? What can they do to me if I tell them I’m leaving for someone else?

My worst fear is to tell Company A that I won’t take the job to later find out that Company B changed their minds and I lose everything. Right now, I am making up an excuse that I’m busy and can’t get back to Company A until a few days from now.

I am also not a very Machiavellian person, so suggestions from anyone who is would be appreciated.

Do what's best for you. Don't worry about Company A, and definitely don't tell them about Company B. Take the job at Company A if offered and if two weeks from now you get an offer from B just be polite and tell A something better came up. It's not personal, its business.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

RisqueBarber posted:

Do what's best for you. Don't worry about Company A, and definitely don't tell them about Company B. Take the job at Company A if offered and if two weeks from now you get an offer from B just be polite and tell A something better came up. It's not personal, its business.

I was the hiring manager at company A in this exact scenario one time last year and all I did was shake my fist impotently at my phone when I got this news and then we all went on with our lives. Like the post I quoted said, do what's right for you. The companies won't lose sleep over it. You don't have any stake in their well-being and this point and vice versa.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

Mr_Schmoo posted:

Well I most definitely am, by which I mean I've been fortunate enough to be in the same situation you're in. I had already accepted with Company A, and on my second day of work with them, Company B, which I had applied to months previously, requested another interview. It ended up working out with Company B within the week, and as soon as I had an offer in hand, I informed Company A. They considered counter-offering, but ended up just wishing me luck. I can't imagine it was a wonderful experience for them, and I felt pretty bad about it, but all in all I don't think they're holding a grudge. And from a personal and career development perspective, it was definitely the right move.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Xibanya posted:

Hi all, I could use some guidance on how to develop my career.
I am 24 years old - graduated with a BA in Economics in 2011. My post graduation work maps out as follows:
Commissioned magazine ad sales - 7 months
loving around in Europe teaching English - 6 months
unemployment - 2 months
Working as an ESL tutor in the USA - 9 months
Working as a payroll/business tax/HR consultant - 10 months

As you can see, I'm kind of flailing about without any direction in mind. I know that I hate my current job because the hours are long and the work environment is a non-stop assault on the senses. I feel like I have a lot of skills your average libarts grad doesn't have (I can do excel! Calculate an integral! Use VBA like a boss! Speak Spanish!) but my skills stack up pitifully next to someone with a technical degree, like computer science or electrical engineering. I don't want to pigeonhole myself into the things I've already done but I don't know what I can actually do without going back to college and getting a more math-y degree. I feel so discouraged because it seems like nothing I'm qualified for pays more than $10/hour. Not to mention I'm $15k in debt from my first go-round at college.

Thread:
What direction can I aim at with my current skills?
Should I go back to school to get a technical degree?

Sounds like Data Analyst could be an option.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been planning a comprehensive re-thinking of my career for a while, but now something came up before I got my poo poo together that I didn't really expect or consider before. I'll probably need to make the decision soon and just don't know WTF.

I'm doing marketing analytics/data sciencey stuff (think SQL, R, SPSS) and some LoB development (Perl, C#, sometimes I sneak in some C++) in a major software company. It's been going fine but lately I feel I clearly hit a dead end. There are many reasons, most of them hilariously TPSy so I won't go into that here.

I wanted to go in a more technical directions and applied for a few dev jobs internally, though since they require an international relocation, I'm not holding my breath. What happened now though is that our company opened a sales training program. Now I'm no expert, but enterprise software sales is a pretty sweet gig, no? It's aimed at grads, which I guess is good as I cold be graduating this summer with a business degree. But that's because I effectively dropped out and then did it part-time, having already worked here for 3+ years.

So these aren't exactly pros/cons or even questions, but just different thoughts that someone with experience could comment on:
  • While sales isn't something I ever seriously considered, or thought to have the personality for, I did a few month of retail banking sales while in school (i.e., selling credit cards to people) and thought I did pretty well with the lovely leads I was given, and I feel like I could adapt ok.
  • Complete career change, there's no continuity with what I'm doing. Up to now, there was always something I could leverage from the previous positions, and it felt like I could jump to a wide range of jobs - dev, financial analysis or consulting, which is what I was considering before. This would be cutting that off, though perhaps opening other possibilities I'm not seeing now.
  • Restarting from 0 instead of 3 years. But would it matter if I had overall business experience advantage and could make more straight away? (Or could I?)
  • A more work hard/play hard lifestyle? My job's not very stressful but if I'm spending 8-10 hours a day anyway, I'd prefer to celebrate the successes and relax a bit instead of rebooting everything the next day and maybe getting an email wondering about the expired attachment link six weeks later.
  • There are going to be evaluations during the training so I thought something could be arranged with my current role as a fallback, but I know too well my managers can't guarantee poo poo if the budget is cut or there's a hiring freeze.
I'm not really looking for a yes/no answer as that's probably not even possible, but any input would be helpful.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

DukAmok posted:

I can't imagine it was a wonderful experience for them, and I felt pretty bad about it, but all in all I don't think they're holding a grudge. And from a personal and career development perspective, it was definitely the right move.

It was a hassle for them but they got over it I'm sure. Regarding a grudge, the specific hiring manager will probably not give you another shot in the very unlikely event that you cross paths again and if for some reason a colleague of theirs ever asks about you they might relate this story. But you've all moved on since then and doing what's right for you outweighs the risk of annoying someone you may never see again.

The guy who stood me up could get another job there without me even knowing about it and I'm in a different role now anyway.

Mr_Schmoo
Dec 10, 2002

Thanks Cicero, RisqueBarber, corkskroo, & DukAmok. I have a follow-up question.

If Company A gives me an offer, should I contact Company B and see if they can either speed up the process or if I am even a consideration. It seems risky to move to me & seems like a faux pas waiting to happen. Is it?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Help me out and tell me if I'm being a baby here. I've decided the career path I'm headed down is not what I want to be doing for the rest of life and I'm having trouble figuring out a way to transition out. For background, I got my BS in Food Science with an emphasis in Brewing Science but also interned in a lab doing consumer research while in school. I really enjoyed the analytical lab work I was doing in my classes and I wanted to get a job doing QA/QC or product development once I graduated, but my main networks and contacts were all in the consumer research industry through my internship. After I graduated I got what many would consider to be a great job with a huge multi-national consumer goods company working with personal care products, and I thought things would be fine because at least I would still be designing studies and analyzing data (sciencey stuff). It turns out most of what I'm doing now is not sciencey stuff at all, it revolves around being an intermediary between multiple global/regional layers and technical/marketing/brand teams -- so rather than actually doing any kind of research I act as a messenger between teams and dumb down the technical stuff for the brand/marketing team or translate the marketing/brand speak to technical directions for our R&D teams. This kind of poo poo drives me crazy and is not what I envisioned I'd be doing. I really dislike the day to day and would way rather be in a lab doing analytical work. The opportunities to run research studies are few and far between and I'm turning out not to really enjoy doing that aspect of the job, either. I like being more hands on with what I'm doing rather than sitting at the computer all day.

I signed a relocation agreement that I would have to pay back my relocation in full if I leave before one year, or half if I leave before two years. I've been here for nine months, should I suck it up and stay for the whole two years even though I pretty much hate what I'm doing and it won't further my skills in the areas I'm really interested in? I'm just worried about how to transition out of this career path -- I'm thinking about grad school for Food Sci but that would put me in more debt. If I were to keep studying consumer sci they would pay for my grad school but I know it's not something I'd enjoy and would only be doing it for the $$. To compound things I went back to school in my late twenties after working most of my late teens/early twenties, so I feel pressure to settle into a career path that I think someone who graduated in their early twenties and is in their first real job wouldn't feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Mr_Schmoo posted:

Thanks Cicero, RisqueBarber, corkskroo, & DukAmok. I have a follow-up question.

If Company A gives me an offer, should I contact Company B and see if they can either speed up the process or if I am even a consideration. It seems risky to move to me & seems like a faux pas waiting to happen. Is it?

Don't wait for B to make an offer. Take A's Job and if Company B comes back to you and offers it to you, then take it. Pretend you only have one offer from each company. No reason for you to mention or bring up the other offers. Don't ask them to speed up the process either. Just be patient. If they want you, you'll know eventually.