Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

my2k posted:

This definitely isn't a show I would casually suggest to any of my female friends

Women love gross poo poo! We just tend not to let men know. It adds to our mystique or something.

The female characters in this show are really well written too, for the little screentime they get. Well, not Jessica maybe, but we haven't seen much of her at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Rick burping is literally my favorite thing in the show. I actually miss it when he doesn't do it for awhile. It's just so unique in terms of dialogue character traits.

Just the overall stumbling and stammering in all the dialogue I think is fantastic.

I work in audio, specifically location sound recording and dialogue editing. I'm sure this affects my opinion on the matter.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
The way Rick talks and says "Morty" all the time is half the reason I like this show. He just doesn't stop.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Chiming in on the love for the stuttering and other vocal tics. Sometimes I crack up just because of their speech patterns-- even when there's no joke.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Metropolis posted:

The way Rick talks and says "Morty" all the time is half the reason I like this show. He just doesn't stop.
"How many times does he say 'Morty', it's starting to no longer sound like an actual word"
- My friend when I showed him R&M for the first time

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The pilot with rick constantly bleaching got annoying after the opening it worked in the opening cause rick was drunk and gonna kill humanity.

when rick is sober trying to explain stuff it was distracting.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Planet Piss posted:

Women love gross poo poo! We just tend not to let men know. It adds to our mystique or something.

The female characters in this show are really well written too, for the little screentime they get. Well, not Jessica maybe, but we haven't seen much of her at this point.

Yeah I don't think it's necessarily offputting, a lot of female friends like it. But I live in LA and things are different here. Honestly were it not for the jelly bean king (and the offhand rape jokes by Rick) I don't think it would necessarily be a problem with the tumblr crew though they'll always find something to complain about. Other than Morty's redhead crush who doesn't have much agency BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH the other female (okay according to someone in the Frozen thread I need to stop using this word because it's bad mkay m'lady) characters are actually decently written if not given as much screen time (moreso Summer).

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah I don't think it's necessarily offputting, a lot of female friends like it. But I live in LA and things are different here. Honestly were it not for the jelly bean king (and the offhand rape jokes by Rick) I don't think it would necessarily be a problem with the tumblr crew though they'll always find something to complain about. Other than Morty's redhead crush who doesn't have much agency BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH the other female (okay according to someone in the Frozen thread I need to stop using this word because it's bad mkay m'lady) characters are actually decently written if not given as much screen time (moreso Summer).

Yeah I'd like to see more of Summer too. I figured she'd play the airheaded, self-centered teenage girl role, but she's actually turned out to be pretty smart and compassionate. It's refereshing to see that.

It's best not to even bother thinking about what tumblr thinks. Seriously. I scrolled through the 'rick and morty' tag today and, well... Can't say I'm surprised but I really wish I hadn't seen what I did.

Also, just try not to use 'female' when your referring to an individual. You wouldn't say "That male over there" right? It just comes across as clinical and weird which is probably why they mentioned it. Also MRAs do it all the time and the less you(or anyone) have in common with them, the better.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Last Chance posted:

Chiming in on the love for the stuttering and other vocal tics. Sometimes I crack up just because of their speech patterns-- even when there's no joke.

Same, this is like 90 percent of what I enjoy about the show.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

CelticPredator posted:

I binged watched through True Detective...and then I did this.

All I could think about.

This is the best thing, it needs to be on this page too!

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Summer is definitely smarter than she first appears in a funny kind of way.

(Jerry about to take off Snuffles'/Snowball's braniac helmet in "Lawnmower Dog")
Summer: Whoa dad, you can't, like, endow a creature with sentience and then rip it away!
Jerry: Why not?
Summer: I dunno, it's Indian Giving?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"That's... an intense line of questioning."

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Love this show, I've watched every episode at least twice

max4me posted:

The pilot with rick constantly bleaching got annoying after the opening it worked in the opening cause rick was drunk and gonna kill humanity.

when rick is sober trying to explain stuff it was distracting.

Rick isn't sober ever

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah having Summer on one of the adventures would be interesting like a twisted Gravity Falls but knowing that the show's plots are mainly to treat Morty as a whipping boy for trauma who knows

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sakarja posted:

This is the best thing, it needs to be on this page too!

Thanks everyone! :v:

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

Well, they kinda did have Summer on one of the adventures, disturbingly...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm pretty sure the next episode is going to be Summer-centric:

It's titled "Raising Gazorpazorp". Raising implies helping something grow up, and Gazorpazorp sounds like the name of some sort of other worldly monster.In the opening credits we see random clips from various episodes, some of which have yet to air. One of the clips (the last one, just before the title pops up) shows Summer holding a baby cthulhu like monster in a spaceship with Rick and Morty.

So, yeah, if my prediction is correct (and I hope it is) we're about to get an episode with Summer taking care of a lovecraftion horror for some reason and it'll be equal parts :3: and :cthulhu:

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 4, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Summer is smarter than she lets on. She often seems to be the one doing the practical thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus she had a very impressive ability to recreate JAWS for someone in a post-apocalyptic scenario.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah having Summer on one of the adventures would be interesting like a twisted Gravity Falls but knowing that the show's plots are mainly to treat Morty as a whipping boy for trauma who knows

She's in one of the credit scenes, so who knows?

my2k
Nov 11, 2004

I WISH I WASN'T SUCH A LARDASS :'(

Planet Piss posted:

Also, just try not to use 'female' when your referring to an individual. You wouldn't say "That male over there" right? It just comes across as clinical and weird which is probably why they mentioned it. Also MRAs do it all the time and the less you(or anyone) have in common with them, the better.
Sorry I said "female friends" instead of woman friends or girl friends I guess? You don't have to tell me that, haha, I hate then add much as anyone but let's not give them a monopoly on the word. We're all adults here hopefully.

Planet Piss posted:

I don't know if you didn't get my insinuation, but I'm a girl too. :j: I'm agreeing that unfortunately I don't know many girls who would enjoy this show, that's all. There's probably fewer of us than them. I'm also a massive hipster apparently. But if popularity leads to shirts, I'll buy one!!

I was impressed at Rick calling Morty out on being a little creepy creep person too actually- You'd think a drunken jackass would make cheap shots at girls but he hasn't once. Sexism isn't really a funny joke, anymore, I guess, I put up with it in so many other shows it's interesting when it's missing and it's refreshing to not see anything fall back on that for inexpensive humor!

Pick posted:

I think Summer is smarter than she lets on. She often seems to be the one doing the practical thing.
I agree- nobody is really an idiot in this show. Not even Morty. The humor isn't from the characters being stupid in and of itself in the way you find in, say, Family Guy or Futurama, it's from mostly just crazy occurrences and poor decisions. I think that's pretty neat

my2k fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 4, 2014

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

my2k posted:

Sorry I said "female friends" instead of woman friends or girl friends I guess? You don't have to tell me that, haha, I hate then add much as anyone but let's not give them a monopoly on the word. We're all adults here hopefully.

I don't know if you didn't get my insinuation, but I'm a girl too. :j: I'm agreeing that unfortunately I don't know many girls who would enjoy this show, that's all. There's probably fewer of us than them. I'm also a massive hipster apparently. But if popularity leads to shirts, I'll buy one!!

I was impressed at Rick calling Morty out on being a little creepy creep person too actually- You'd think a drunken jackass would make cheap shots at girls but he hasn't once. Sexism isn't really a funny joke, anymore, I guess, I put up with it in so many other shows it's interesting when it's missing and it's refreshing to not see anything fall back on that for inexpensive humor!

The female thing was a reply to Alan Smithee, not you. Sorry about the confusion!

I agree with you on that last paragraph. Especially since this is an Adult Swim show, and AS really loves that lovely Robot Chicken style humor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It helps that Rick as a character seems more like someone who was forged into his personality through adversity, not because he was an inherently bad person.

I kind-of want someone to show the Love Potion episode to David Cronenberg now just to see if he chuckles or not at the use of his last name as a noun/verb.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wtf no Archer either, is this like a seasonal thing

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Summer already seems smart, or at least very confident. She handles Rick much smoother than the rest of her family. She’s not trying to be nice to him like her mother, she doesn’t let him get under her skin like her father, and she’s not afraid or intimidated by him like Morty.

When she calls him a dick it’s not because she’s upset or trying to be mean, she’s just stating a fact. Rick goes on to say that her opinion means very little to him, but it’s pretty obvious she doesn’t care much about his opinion either.

e:

Alan Smithee posted:

Wtf no Archer either, is this like a seasonal thing

Kind of. They're putting off airing new episodes of Archer because of the winter Olympics.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm pretty sure the next episode is going to be Summer-centric:

It's titled "Raising Gazorpazorp". Raising implies helping something grow up, and Gazorpazorp sounds like the name of some sort of other worldly monster.In the opening credits we see random clips from various episodes, some of which have yet to air. One of the clips (the last one, just before the title pops up) shows Summer holding a baby cthulhu like monster in a spaceship with Rick and Morty.

So, yeah, if my prediction is correct (and I hope it is) we're about to get an episode with Summer taking care of a lovecraftion horror for some reason and it'll be equal parts :3: and :cthulhu:

I'm hoping it's a reference to Raising Arizona.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The weird :3 mouth thing is the only part I find weird

I thought it was weird as hell, but now I've noticed it in Adventure Time, too!

EDIT - Found it!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 4, 2014

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Justin Roiland tweeted that the show returns March 10th.

I know it sucks to wait a long time but I think Adult Swim realizes it has a hit on its hands and wants to get more started right away, and space out the distance between seasons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pulling a Gravity Falls. :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roiland posted on r/rickandmorty that it's a combination of the Olympics, "the pie isn't ready to come out of the oven", and Obama.

quote:

This surely spells the end! As time crawls on, less and less people will be aware of the show!!
But honestly, this wasn't by choice. The network isn't thrilled about this either. The pie just isn't ready to come out of the oven. It also has nothing to do with Dan. It's just a really ambitious cartoon. That's all. Hopefully we can use this time to get more people on board and boost the number of people who tune in on March 10th.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CelticPredator posted:

Pulling a Gravity Falls. :(

As long as it doesn't pull a Venture Brothers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

If it were a pulling a gravity falls it would return March 10, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Smug Mug posted:

Yup. I love how Morty changes his phrases mid stammer too. Kills me.

"w-w-w-what about me, Rick? W-w-why can't you just help me out once-once-for once?"

"I'm sleplee- slippery stair"

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Really, an entire month? Urgh.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Anony Mouse posted:

Also good points.

I was wondering after that episode though, how closely related do you have to be to be immune? If Rick was immune, then what about Morty's grandmother and paternal grandparents? Cousins? Aunts and Uncles? Somewhere out there in Neo Cronenberg World must be other small tribes like Jerry's who are distantly related to Morty. Maybe eventually they'll find each other, inbreed, and rebuild civilization, just like in the Bible!

I think I would watch that for like 11 minutes a pop. They could even do it board driven...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Alan Smithee posted:

If it were a pulling a gravity falls it would return March 10, 2015
More like October 2014, but still.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is Rick and Morty kind of a one-or-two-man show as far as the writing and producing goes? You gotta cut those shows some slack on the delays.

Existenzangst
Jul 19, 2013

pew pew

ashpanash posted:

Justin Roiland tweeted that the show returns March 10th.

I know it sucks to wait a long time but I think Adult Swim realizes it has a hit on its hands and wants to get more started right away, and space out the distance between seasons.

Well, that's fortunate. Does anybody have an idea how many episodes there will be in season one?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eleven, so we only have five left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Is Rick and Morty kind of a one-or-two-man show as far as the writing and producing goes? You gotta cut those shows some slack on the delays.

It looks like there's 6 or 7 writers and the same amount of directors this season. I don't blame the producers for the wait, really a month when a lot of other shows are taking a break because of the Olympics anyway isn't a big deal at all.

• Locked thread