Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to the next 5 comics in which a character shows up, does something wacky to make Teodor look bad, then leaves after the required 4 panels. Witty commentary follows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

poorlifedecision posted:

Looking forward to the next 5 comics in which a character shows up, does something wacky to make Teodor look bad, then leaves after the required 4 panels. Witty commentary follows.

ENTER STAGE LEFT BLISTER AND TODD WEARING A LARGE JACKET

"HEY BABY, EVER HAD YOUR rear end in a top hat LICKED BY A FAT SQUIRREL IN A TRENCHCOAT?"

haha that Todd. He doesn't care at all about being fat!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

a starwar betamax posted:

Can someone please explain to me what Pat did in this latest comic??

I keep re-reading it and I can't tell if the bag is supposed to contain the smashed up potato or if its another bag or I just don't understand please help. Thanks

He grabbed the potato they were going to make hashbrowns in, put it in a Freekeh-Chia promotional bag and then smashed it under his heel before running off. I'm assuming that Freekeh-Chia is a organic/healthy living/vegan store/restaurant that's doing a "viral" marketing stunt where you get a trivial discount off of your first purchase if you bring in the bagged food.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Johnny Aztec posted:

ENTER STAGE LEFT BLISTER AND TODD WEARING A LARGE JACKET

"HEY BABY, EVER HAD YOUR rear end in a top hat LICKED BY A FAT SQUIRREL IN A TRENCHCOAT?"

haha that Todd. He doesn't care at all about being fat!

Todd isn't fat anymore. It's because of all the fuckin' he was doin'.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spikey posted:

Todd isn't fat anymore. It's because of all the fuckin' he was doin'.

Well I assume he wore a condom, right?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jerusalem posted:

Well I assume he wore a condom, right?

Bitches gotta take their oval office pills, he ain't wearin no gunny sack

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Bitches gotta take their oval office pills, he ain't wearin no gunny sack

Oh my god that is the worst possible reply in the universe

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

He grabbed the potato they were going to make hashbrowns in, put it in a Freekeh-Chia promotional bag and then smashed it under his heel before running off. I'm assuming that Freekeh-Chia is a organic/healthy living/vegan store/restaurant that's doing a "viral" marketing stunt where you get a trivial discount off of your first purchase if you bring in the bagged food.

His activities are so poorly conveyed.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I think Freekeh Chia is some kind of K2/Spice/"bath salts" poo poo he took because he thought it was organic reduced oregano or something, and it made him freak out. The packaging for that "potpourri" kind of stuff you find in head shops looks exactly like that.

Basically he is partying.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like how Nice Pete's dialogue sounds like it's from a role playing session in psychiatric therapy. Remember everybody, Ask first, don't Assume.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I'm just glad Pat was in and out in one comic. I'll just pretend this week's strip was a metaphor for him arriving unannounced, overstaying his welcome, and leaving rudely and abruptly; now Penny and T are bonding over the experience. It's a comic, it doesn't take place in real time. gently caress, was that so hard?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I guess this is a return to form as such for Onstand since he is fairly keen on panel sequences that dont make a lick of loving sense

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dodgeball posted:

I'm just glad Pat was in and out in one comic. I'll just pretend this week's strip was a metaphor for him arriving unannounced, overstaying his welcome, and leaving rudely and abruptly; now Penny and T are bonding over the experience. It's a comic, it doesn't take place in real time. gently caress, was that so hard?

That's really stupid, though. If you have to pretend a comic is something else for it to make sense...I'm not actually going to finish this thought, or this post, so just pretend like I did.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

That's really stupid, though. If you have to pretend a comic is something else for it to make sense...I'm not actually going to finish this thought, or this post, so just pretend like I did.

No amount of pretending can redeem your posting.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I dunno what's so hard to get about this particular strip. Pat (probably) sensed someone was about to have a good time, so he burst in on the scene, did a typical "Pat the rear end in a top hat" kind of thing, and then took off, leaving the people behind to ruminate over the rear end in a top hat thing Pat just did. What's not to get about that? :v:

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I dunno what's so hard to get about this particular strip. Pat (probably) sensed someone was about to have a good time, so he burst in on the scene, did a typical "Pat the rear end in a top hat" kind of thing, and then took off, leaving the people behind to ruminate over the rear end in a top hat thing Pat just did. What's not to get about that? :v:

Pat tears in looking for the exact thing they need to make food, does something meaningless to it, hollers some hippie words, and immediately leaves, having served his purpose. Then Penny and Teodor both make ridiculously extended burns on U2 (???) and I guess it's hard to get why Onstad thinks this is a good way to write romantic development.

Oh, before anyone else looks it up -- diaphoretic apparently means sweat-inducing, and the same word with a macro- prefix is an invention of Chris's.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
They weren't insulting U2, they were complimenting them.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Well, whatever happened, at least we're all pretty sure that the panels each happened chronologicaly. Right?

Also its good to know that true love is finding someone who thinks and speaks exactly like you.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Love is sometimes wondering if you trapped an innocent person.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm holding out hope that it ends horribly.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm holding out hope that it ends horribly.
This is Teodor we're dealing with here. The terrible ending is not a matter of if, but rather when.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

a starwar betamax posted:

Also its good to know that true love is finding someone who thinks and speaks exactly like you.

Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't. If you're gonna hang a dude out to dry, try to do it on something that isn't subjective as hell.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
You can write pages on Onstad's writing in regards to representation of women, masculinity, sexism, etc in a legit way. But lately I think people seem to have been reaching a bit in jumping on every new comic.

And yeah, Pat's actions are confusing and not well conveyed in this last one.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Locus posted:

You can write pages on Onstad's writing in regards to representation of women, masculinity, sexism, etc in a legit way. But lately I think people seem to have been reaching a bit in jumping on every new comic.

It's hard being an Achewood fan. We experience this every week.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Onstad did a podcast interview. Haven't listened to it yet so I don't know if it's good.

http://maximumfun.org/bullseye/bullseye-jesse-thorn-creators-trophy-wife-and-chris-onstad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Loving Life Partner posted:

Onstad did a podcast interview. Haven't listened to it yet so I don't know if it's good.

http://maximumfun.org/bullseye/bullseye-jesse-thorn-creators-trophy-wife-and-chris-onstad

It's also four years old.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Hah. Weird someone linked it to me today and it had today's date on it, thought it was something new. My bad.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It has the right date -- it's just that, as they describe it on the linked page, they are doing a re-run of an interview from 2009.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I really like Achewood and all but "an owl jumper-cabled to a car battery" just doesn't make sense. That last panel "punchline" literally does not parse as a phrase. "If wanting to kiss her is unwise, then I'm a tree-frog nestled in Bruce Villanche's Eustachian tube."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Owls are usually wise, but an owl jumper-cabled to a car battery probably isn't (temporarily).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Téodor and owls dying in unusual ways has come up before, but at least the statement unambiguously made sense then.

I frankly have no idea if wiring an owl to a car battery would actually kill it, though.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Maybe if you smear it in mayonnaise first

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the owl jumper-cabled to a car battery is also kind of like a Nine Inch Nails video.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This isn't a story about Teodor having affection for Penny. It's a story about industrial/goth's affection for punk.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

MMAgCh posted:

Téodor and owls dying in unusual ways has come up before, but at least the statement unambiguously made sense then.

I frankly have no idea if wiring an owl to a car battery would actually kill it, though.

Tangent here, but my favorite part of Teodor's pretentious menu - it has an artichoke dish. When Ray pays Teodor 100 grand to run the wedding a few strips later, with a simplified menu, he asks him on the check if he can do an artichoke dish for his mom.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The last Achewood will be Phillipe's birthday party.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

This isn't a story about Teodor having affection for Penny. It's a story about industrial/goth's affection for punk.

Yes, I take soft-focus Russ Meyer stream-baths! How about you, my goth brother?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
goth boys pee sitting down pass it on

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

:siren: No new strip this week :siren:

Onstad posted:

On Wednesday, an expensive little man shot expensive little lasers into my eyes. I will be able to see well enough to cartoon again by next Friday. Happy weekend. --A Seeing-Eye Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Welcome to the Chris Onstad School of Expensive Ocular Shenanigans.