Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Ghost Hand posted:

I wouldnt call them "bullshit" they are pretty fun. The Heralds of Ruin ones are great though!

It's BS for the amount of time they put in their own KT rules. GW missed a solid opportunity to expand their player base and dramatically lower the cost of entering the hobby. But they blew it so they could make a quick buck. And I don't even know how well that panned out since reviews for GWs KT rules were pretty poor. GW defiantly left money on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So my LGS asked for help orchestrating a small campaign. I'm thinking of a planetary invasion, pitting the store's IG and SM players against the Eldar and Tau.

I'm thinking of having a small hex-based map where people will have to choose their moves carefully. Do you attack the armories and try to deny the Space Marines vital firepower? If the xenos succeed, the Imperium has to pay extra for special/heavy weapons. If they succeed, a Tactical Squad can all take special/heavy weapons. Do you attack their vehicle yards? If the Space Marines defend it successfully, they get an extra HS slot. But if the xenos succeed, Imperium tanks have to try to deploy from Ongoing Reserves turn 2 or 3 or something.

Obviously this is just theories and I need to balance it further but I'm kind of excited.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So my LGS asked for help orchestrating a small campaign. I'm thinking of a planetary invasion, pitting the store's IG and SM players against the Eldar and Tau.

I'm thinking of having a small hex-based map where people will have to choose their moves carefully. Do you attack the armories and try to deny the Space Marines vital firepower? If the xenos succeed, the Imperium has to pay extra for special/heavy weapons. If they succeed, a Tactical Squad can all take special/heavy weapons. Do you attack their vehicle yards? If the Space Marines defend it successfully, they get an extra HS slot. But if the xenos succeed, Imperium tanks have to try to deploy from Ongoing Reserves turn 2 or 3 or something.

Obviously this is just theories and I need to balance it further but I'm kind of excited.

That sounds great. Is that Planetary Campaigns (conquest?) expansion still usable in 6th edition? If so, you could build your hex map using that - I think that uses hexes and has the same general idea.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Noctis Horrendae posted:

That sounds great. Is that Planetary Campaigns (conquest?) expansion still usable in 6th edition? If so, you could build your hex map using that - I think that uses hexes and has the same general idea.

It is, with minor tweaks. We were doing a PE campaign at my local store until one of our players disappeared :v:

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

It is, with minor tweaks. We were doing a PE campaign at my local store until one of our players disappeared :v:

Disappeared as in quit going there or literally disappeared? Is he a demon?
I wish my LGS hosted cool campaigns. We just have bad Escalation Leagues and Kill Team tourneys.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So I'm thinking of having some unique rules for the HQs and I started thinking of some.

Hatred Burns Brighter: For every enemy character worth at least 100 points slain in a challenge, the Avatar of Khaine gains +1 W and 1+ A. This bonus lasts for the duration of the campaign.

The Ethereal's Blessing: For every battle an HQ choice from Codex: Tau Empire is deployed in results in a victory, that HQ receives 1+ Ld, 1+ I, and may take an additional Crisis Bodyguard. This may take him above the nominal limit of Crisis Bodyguards usually in the Codex.

To a Trained Eye: For every 2 precision shots made by a Master of the Forge or Space Marine Captain that result in a character being removed as a casualty, it gains 1+ BS. They may choose to forego this bonus once to gain the Split Fire, Night Fighting, or Tank Hunter special rule.

I want people to actually use their HQs and develop them over the course of a campaign, and I think stuff like this is really interesting.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So I'm thinking of having some unique rules for the HQs and I started thinking of some.

Hatred Burns Brighter: For every enemy character worth at least 100 points slain in a challenge, the Avatar of Khaine gains +1 W and 1+ A. This bonus lasts for the duration of the campaign.

The Ethereal's Blessing: For every battle an HQ choice from Codex: Tau Empire is deployed in results in a victory, that HQ receives 1+ Ld, 1+ I, and may take an additional Crisis Bodyguard. This may take him above the nominal limit of Crisis Bodyguards usually in the Codex.

To a Trained Eye: For every 2 precision shots made by a Master of the Forge or Space Marine Captain that result in a character being removed as a casualty, it gains 1+ BS. They may choose to forego this bonus once to gain the Split Fire, Night Fighting, or Tank Hunter special rule.

I want people to actually use their HQs and develop them over the course of a campaign, and I think stuff like this is really interesting.

For Hatred Burns Brighter, I highly suggest 200 points + for balance's sake - I won't go into detail because this is fairly obvious.

To a Trained Eye is interesting, albeit a bit underpowered. How about for every 2 precision shots made that result in a /wound/ causes those HQs to gain +1 BS?

Also, for the purpose of keeping things interesting, maybe each special rule should buff each faction's weak spot for a certain amount of turns/phases, i.e. +3 WS for Tau for one assault phase only.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The red angel gets +1 attack, up to 10, for each IC and Marine he kills in close combat. He costs about 500 points and it doesn’t carry over into campaigns. A similar mechanic could work here, but you’d probably need to price your avatar 50 points more- “for each IC killed the avatar gains +1 attack for the remainder of the game. Roll 1D6. On the result of 5+ the avatar gains an additional wound”

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

The price for the 25mm round base is for 10, so that helps.

Anyway, I went back to my earlier posts in this thread and dredged up some of the relevant posts to my go at doing this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494017&userid=181048&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post411140108
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494017&userid=181048&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post411263913
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494017&userid=181048&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post411599997

I still have two whole squads to ready for greenstuff to get around to. :smith:

I meant to ask about your paint scheme. Do you mind sharing the colours you used and writing up a quick guide? I might have to *gasp* assemble and paint my own army if I miss out on this auction.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I wish my LGS hosted cool campaigns. We just have bad Escalation Leagues and Kill Team tourneys.

Stopped coming, doesn't respond to texts or fb messages from anyone in our group. Last anyone saw him was last May, right before he was set to get married. He hasn't showed up as missing or in the obituaries, so he probably just fell back out of the game :v:

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Stopped coming, doesn't respond to texts or fb messages from anyone in our group. Last anyone saw him was last May, right before he was set to get married. He hasn't showed up as missing or in the obituaries, so he probably just fell back out of the game :v:

Probably got tired of the stereotypical GW fans. I'm willing to bet you and any other goons were the most normal out of the group, and that's saying a whole lot. :psylon:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
so after being somewhat disappointed by my recent finecast purchase, today I got my first forgeworld shipment. It was just some shoulderpads and rhino doors, but the quality seems much higher. I think I'm going to get that inquisitor Lok soon.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Probably got tired of the stereotypical GW fans. I'm willing to bet you and any other goons were the most normal out of the group, and that's saying a whole lot. :psylon:

Most of my group here is military in some form or another. I'm former army, there's 2 national guard soldiers, 3 marines, and a guy that was applying to be in the Air Force before he got steamrolled by a Mack truck (and not only lived, he isn't stuck in a wheelchair and has his old job back :stare: ) that play here. There's a single regular player that isn't military affiliated, but he spends a lot of time on the road anyways so isn't here terribly often. I think that scares off some people, though we try to be inviting and engage anyone that cares to stop and take a look while we're playing :shobon:

e: I have extra quad gun bitz laying around after disassembling my kit-bashed hydra, these are about to become some dreadnought autocannon arms :getin:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 4, 2014

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Most of my group here is military in some form or another. I'm former army, there's 2 national guard soldiers, 3 marines, and a guy that was applying to be in the Air Force before he got steamrolled by a Mack truck (and not only lived, he isn't stuck in a wheelchair and has his old job back :stare: ) that play here. There's a single regular player that isn't military affiliated, but he spends a lot of time on the road anyways so isn't here terribly often. I think that scares off some people, though we try to be inviting and engage anyone that cares to stop and take a look while we're playing :shobon:

That actually sounds pretty neat, dunno why someone would be discouraged from that kind of crowd. So long as you don't awkwardly discuss war stories while the few non-military guys sit back and listen, I don't know why people would leave.

Help me Groetgraffel-kun, you're my only hope (provided I don't lose this DKoK auction). I probably butchered your name awfully but I typed this out of memory alone. :smith:

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 4, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I think your buddy's wife may have something to do with it. That is a purely neutral opinion.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Run your own campaigns. Or initiate them there. We are currently running one based off the system in Imperial Armour 12...

http://campaign.epicempires.com/

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

i wish Games Workshop still supported leagues, i would gladly pay to play in one.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

It may be a good idea to add in a way to lose the bonus for balancing purposes and to add a level of counter play.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I decided to forgo the usual color schemes for space marines in favor of a custom chapter that would let me play around and find the chapter tactics I really enjoyed, plus there aren't enough purple chapters. I'm really tempted to run with a "3rd Founding Saints" gimmick chapter.

This is my first attempt at edge highlighting. I think my colors are too dark/too close to work as well as I had wanted.

Primer is GW black. Basecoat is rattlecan Valspar flat lilac. Drakenhof Nightshade wash. Layer with Xereus Purple. Light touch with shade over any parts that aren't quite contrasty enough.

Metals are Leadbelcher, then washed with Agrax Earthshade. The bolter got touched with ArmyPainter Shining Silver. I'm not completely sold on touching up the Leadbelcher with silver. I think I like the darker metallic. The shoulderpad edges are straight leadbelcher. I really wanted them to pop.

Edit: I'm researching basing techniques and I'll probably be throwing something together when I finish the squad.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Looks great! Very similar to the pre heresy Emperors children. You've got a few mold lines along the side of the power armour though.

It's worth a look at their forgeworld range as a lot of the models would suit a saints row aesthetic:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Legiones_Astartes/Emperors_Children/EMPERORS_CHILDREN_LEGION_PALATINE_BLADES_SQUAD.html

For the bases, i'd suggest muted greys (urban/ rubble) or browns (mud). i think it'll contrast well with the model.

Come to think of it, the noise marines are pretty much armed with dubstep guns.

everyone wear hats now fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 4, 2014

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I meant to ask about your paint scheme. Do you mind sharing the colours you used and writing up a quick guide? I might have to *gasp* assemble and paint my own army if I miss out on this auction.
Sure thing. Green bits is Waaagh Flesh, gun and other assorted metal doodads Leadbelcher. The rest is paints from GWs old line; Mordian Blue for the outside of the coat, Enchanted Blue for the inside and the cuffs, and Snakebite Leather for the boots, backpack, gasmask, and assorted straps.
Cover everything in Devlan Mud, or Agrax Earthshade as they call it nowdays, and go back and highlight with the original colour. Mask lenses is just a flat red with gloss varnish on it.
The base is one of GWs texture paints > black wash > drybrush.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
My local indie store is no longer able to order Direct Only stuff due to a change by GW to the T&Cs. Why do they keep doing it?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lungboy posted:

My local indie store is no longer able to order Direct Only stuff due to a change by GW to the T&Cs. Why do they keep doing it?

Because Games Workshop sees that their profit margins are highest when customers have to order direct from Games Workshop, and so they believe that by cutting retailers out of the equation, they can increase profits. Which will be true, for about 6 months.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

Because Games Workshop sees that their profit margins are highest when customers have to order direct from Games Workshop, and so they believe that by cutting retailers out of the equation, they can increase profits. Which will be true, for about 6 months.

I'm sure a big part of it is to combat online retailers, which is just cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JoshTheStampede posted:

Dream Wizards in Rockville has a decent crowd.

The Bowie Battle Bunker is also a good place to game. Also I highly recommend looking into the NOVA Open, which happens in September and is a pretty good convention.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Lungboy posted:

Yeah, I wanted to get a Tau Commander the other day, but since it's a Finecast model it's not available to my local store. GW!!!! :argh:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah, I wanted to get a Tau Commander the other day, but since it's a Finecast model it's not available to my local store. GW!!!! :argh:

Yeah, way I heard it from my FLGS is that when the new minis come out, every store gets a couple pieces of each Finecast mini and once those run out, you've got to order them direct from GW. Happened to luck out and the guy was friendly with the GW girl managing the orders so he managed to order in a couple extra XV8-02s.

Fair warning about that mini, Finecast is light but it's a fairly hefty chunk of resin atop of two thin legs - you might end up needing to glue a penny or two under the base to keep it standing upright. Also, this was in the summer, and we had a heatwave pass through - I'd assembled the mini, took a look at it a few weeks later, and it was basically doing the limbo - the heat had softened up the leg joints enough for it to flop down under its own weight. A long hot bath to straighten him back out and a length of brass rod 'tween the base and his rear end fixed that issue, though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So, I'm trying to think of unique results for campaign missions that could make the game more interesting going forward. I have a few results for a few scenarios.

At one point, the Imperium will (possibly) defend an ancient vault (which will be, for gameplay purposes, an Imperial Bunker that's basically an immobile vehicle with 5 HP) filled with relic weaponry. If the Imperium succeeds, any SM model with the type (Character) will be able to mastercraft any item from the Ranged Weapons list for 20 points. If the Xenos succeed, they'll be able to do the same, and will be able to take a minimum sized Troop squad from the codex free of points cost, which are non-scoring.

At another point, a Ministorum orphanage will come under attack. If the Imperium succeeds in keeping the xenos away for the duration of the the game, they will receive the Blessing of the Ecclesiarch. Any Imperium character with an invulnerable save receives an additional 1+. I don't know what the xenos counterpart will be.

Any feedback?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

koreban posted:

there aren't enough purple chapters

The addition of a little bit of gold and you've got some Soul Drinkers, before all that chaos nonsense. I don't think they have a definite lineage either, so you could use whatever tactics you want game to game.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Soul Drinkers are IF, I think. At least it seemed like the Crimson Fists were super loving pissed at them.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 4, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The Sanguinary Priests of the Angels Sanguine pulled a Maury at the Drinkers' trial and proved that Rogal is not your baby's daddy. No idea who is, though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I only ever read the first bad omnibus, so. I'm pretty sure they thought they were Imperial Fists until it got proved otherwise.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
They started out Imperial Fists, but then it got proven that they're Something Else indeed. My pet theory, with the purple-and-bone/gold scheme and a vulnerability to Chaos, is that they're the Emperor's Children counterpart to Blood Ravens (who started out Thousand Sons until the Heresy happened). Being part of some Traitor Legion would explain how they have so few heavy vehicles and Dreadnoughts, most of their kit was lost along with the Legion and their forefathers didn't want to make waves just after the Heresy by requisitioning so much stuff so they learned to make do with what little they had.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Anyone with a purple and gold colour scheme is obligated to make their chapter emblem the Prince logo :colbert:

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Broniki posted:

Anyone with a purple and gold colour scheme is obligated to make their chapter emblem the Prince logo :colbert:

Game....blouses.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Broniki posted:

That's a funny way to pronounce "Third Street Saints".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Royal Crowns chapter.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So, I'm trying to think of unique results for campaign missions that could make the game more interesting going forward. I have a few results for a few scenarios.

At one point, the Imperium will (possibly) defend an ancient vault (which will be, for gameplay purposes, an Imperial Bunker that's basically an immobile vehicle with 5 HP) filled with relic weaponry. If the Imperium succeeds, any SM model with the type (Character) will be able to mastercraft any item from the Ranged Weapons list for 20 points. If the Xenos succeed, they'll be able to do the same, and will be able to take a minimum sized Troop squad from the codex free of points cost, which are non-scoring.

At another point, a Ministorum orphanage will come under attack. If the Imperium succeeds in keeping the xenos away for the duration of the the game, they will receive the Blessing of the Ecclesiarch. Any Imperium character with an invulnerable save receives an additional 1+. I don't know what the xenos counterpart will be.

Any feedback?

20 points to master craft a ranged weapon is really high, especially when Salamanders get to master craft a single piece of wargear on every character for free. For reference, it cost 15 points to make any weapon master crafted in the 4th edition Space Marine codex, which is a time when Rhinos cost 50 points.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah I'm not sold on the points cost, I'm just trying to establish basic concepts and fill in the points cost later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Oh gently caress yea! This just made my day!

Forgeworld posted:

Hi,

Thank you for your email. The latest rules for the Mieotic spore and Stone Crusher Carnifexes are in Imperial Armour Volume 4. This edition has not yet been updated to the current edition of Warhammer 40,000 or the latest Tyrnaid Codex. As noted in Imperial armour Apocalypse Malanthropes are not Monstrous Creatures.

In responce to:

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Two questions:

First, where are the most up to date rules for the following Tyranid models?

MIEOTIC SPORE
STONE-CRUSHER CARNIFEX WITH WRECKING BALL COMPLETE KIT
and
STONE-CRUSHER CARNIFEX WITH WRECKER CLAWS COMPLETE KIT

Second, is the Malanthrope no longer a MC or was that a typo?

IA:V4 Mieotic Spore rules gently caress up flyers something fierce. Now to get them to clarify how some old rules work.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 4, 2014

• Locked thread