Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Wow! Look at all those provinces! India is huge! I take back every single doubt I had about the size of India, this is gonna be great!

If I can capture the Pope and have him trampled to death by elephants this will be the best expansion yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Who's a good count to play as in the 867 start if I want to be a slimy, conniving stabby motherfucker in a giant realm? I'm feeling nasty and I just want to watch a realm burn. :getin:

The Count of Boulogne. If you marry the right people, and certain people die before they can breed, you can be a double or triple-duke by the time you hit 50 and be the most powerful duke in the realm. Then you start exterminating the Karlings one branch at a time.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

In my current game I won Jerusalem in a crusade and I'm trying to turn it into a king-level theocracy, but when I try to grant the prince-bishop the title it doesn't even show up in the list. Can the player not create king-level theocracies, or is there something else at work here? I know there's the 10% limit on republics/theocracies, but I've got all of Brittania and considerable chunks of the Iberian peninsula and Italy in my empire, so the 10% rule shouldn't be an issue. Within the duchy I gave the two non-Jerusalem counties to bishops as well, if that matters.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Spakstik posted:

In my current game I won Jerusalem in a crusade and I'm trying to turn it into a king-level theocracy, but when I try to grant the prince-bishop the title it doesn't even show up in the list. Can the player not create king-level theocracies, or is there something else at work here? I know there's the 10% limit on republics/theocracies, but I've got all of Brittania and considerable chunks of the Iberian peninsula and Italy in my empire, so the 10% rule shouldn't be an issue. Within the duchy I gave the two non-Jerusalem counties to bishops as well, if that matters.

Bingo.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Balls. Thanks!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

First dev diary on Rajas is up:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?753709-Crusader-Kings-II-Rajas-of-India-Dev-Diary-1-Overview

Somewhat interesting:

Pdox Devs posted:

Now, there has been some speculation about how the map will be handled exactly, and the answer is simply that we are extending it far to the east. It's not a separate map or anything like that. This means that everyone who owns the game will be able to interact with, (and conquer!) India, whether they own Rajas of India or not.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I hope the Tiger hunt event will be tied to the region the dude's in rather then culture or religion. If i convert to Hinduism I don't want to see tigers roaming around in Scotland. :v:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
But would you like to see a lion in Sweden?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 4, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

God knows how that taxidermist got away with presenting that to the Swedish court.

also

quote:

Are the map colours WIP?
This guy knows what's what in the thread. That Pratihara color is garish, and that's the only complaint I can come up with for everything you've shown so far because oh man i want it

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Have we seen the 1066 Indian start yet?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

DrSunshine posted:

Haha. Wow. That was fun. Playing as Count Angilbotto of Venaissin, in the space of just three generations, I plotted and schemed and united the Karlings, and they eventually formed the HRE by themselves, all without ever raising my levies (except to declare independence from my duke in order to become the king's spymaster). I never expanded beyond my single county!

From my single province and with judicious bribery and training my children to be masters of intrigue, a tiny insignificant family south of the Alps ended up becoming kingmakers.

Empire-makers. :stonk:

I did something like this on a Roman Byzantine Duke playthrough. I though it would be fun playing as the last surviving Roman family of Claudiuses, working their way up and eventually restoring the Empire. Except my custom-made ruler died after like 3 years, leaving only a daughter. After being stripped of her ducal title due to an unsuccessfull rebellion she spent most of her 80-years-long life stabbing her way to secure the best positions and claims for her children and keeping them educated in Roman culture.

It was pretty different and challenging. It's tough to just conquer the other Byzantine dukes, because all of them are pretty equal in power and it's difficult to get good CB on them, so it encourages the marriage game (and the stabbing game).

Baron Porkface posted:

Where is this thing? And why is succession higher than authority when authority is more reasonable and sensible?

Here. I'm not sure I understand your question though. Authority factions are less dangerous and easier to please. Succession/independence factions are more dangerous (as in, you have more to lose) and harder to manage. Makes sense to me, I guess?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BillBear posted:

I hope the Tiger hunt event will be tied to the region the dude's in rather then culture or religion. If i convert to Hinduism I don't want to see tigers roaming around in Scotland. :v:
WHY NOT.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Clearly next DLC should introduce ecosystem modeling to account for accurate tiger migration.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Is anyone else excited to play the Aztecs and conquer all the way from Ireland to India?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

grate deceiver posted:

Clearly next DLC should introduce ecosystem modeling to account for accurate tiger migration.

This is the company that allowed you to eventually play as Polar Bears in Europa Universalis 4. There will probably be a way to PLAY as tigers. I look forward to making a Tiger Empire.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bloodly posted:

This is the company that allowed you to eventually play as Polar Bears in Europa Universalis 4.
Without a mod?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

CapnAndy posted:

Without a mod?

I think he means Victoria II.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

BillBear posted:

I think he means Victoria II.

The secret bear thing was for the AGOT mod for CK2, I thought?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Antti posted:

Nope, Jan Mayen in Vicky2 gets the decision to monopolize the world's polar bears from I want to say Norway?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Antti posted:

Nope, I made Secret bears just because I found it funny. Did AGOT use it? Don't mind, just wasn't aware.

As TaurusTorus says, V2 has (non-secret) Polar bears too. That was Wiz's doing.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

Nope, Jan Mayen in Vicky2 gets the decision to monopolize the world's polar bears from I want to say Norway?

Denmark.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Any tips on playing as a merchant republic? I haven't really every played one before. Do I eventually start giving conquered provinces to nobles or should I make them all Grand Cities?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Nope, I made Secret bears just because I found it funny. Did AGOT use it? Don't mind, just wasn't aware.

As TaurusTorus says, V2 has (non-secret) Polar bears too. That was Wiz's doing.

I did some digging and it looks like someone (not necessarily the AGOT team) put it in (their copy of) AGOT, and what I was remembering was this screenshot:

Secret Bears of Bear Island, that sort of thing sticks in your mind.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Here, I did a really lazy mspaint job to show the scale of India to the existing map. Doesn't line up perfectly because of the changes they made to the mideast so I used the west coast of the Arabian Peninsula be my guide.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What's the new nation they added to the Azerbaijan-ish region, the one that looks like a dude's face?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
My duke was homosexual and leader of a faction against the king of Aquitaine. The king threatened to out me if I didn't disband my faction and never make another one, and apparently I had no choice but to comply (there was no other option for some reason). Now my duke is dead and his son has taken over, but I still can't seem to make factions. How long does this last?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Nozzle posted:

Here, I did a really lazy mspaint job to show the scale of India to the existing map. Doesn't line up perfectly because of the changes they made to the mideast so I used the west coast of the Arabian Peninsula be my guide.

India seems too short in that picture, but maybe it's just the angle.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I thought this was a good thing to address since it had people worried:

quote:

Can the game really handle all these new characters and provinces without slowing to a crawl? Yes.
Actually, memory usage was the bigger issue, but we've comfortably reduced that by more than 300Mb, which allows us to add all the extra characters. We've also optimized the game for speed, but it might end up running a bit slower than before (though it should only be noticeable on speed 5 unless you have an ancient rig.) I should also mention that due to the drastic changes we are making to the game, old save games will not remain compatible with version 2.1! However, version 2.0.4 will remain available as a beta branch on Steam.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Yeah I'm pretty disappointed in hearing that, I wanted to steamroll India with my rich Norse empire when the expansion hit with my current save but I guess it's not happening :(.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The last time they expanded the map, I believe by adding some provinces with LoR, made it so the new provinces would be black if you tried to load an old save. Since there were no defined leaders or province history.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

hellsjudge posted:

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed in hearing that, I wanted to steamroll India with my rich Norse empire when the expansion hit with my current save but I guess it's not happening :(.

I guess I'm getting old, because I'm routinely shocked when I hear people - not you in particular, but I often hear it elsewhere - complain that updates ruined their savegame. It was only 5 or so years ago where you were called crazy to expect otherwise.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

SeaTard posted:

India seems too short in that picture, but maybe it's just the angle.

It says in the dev diary they aren't extending the map south, only east, so they've had to squish and angle the projection pretty severely.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Antti posted:

It says in the dev diary they aren't extending the map south, only east, so they've had to squish and angle the projection pretty severely.

Eurocentric map bias strikes again!

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
For an invasion, do I have to siege every single holding? Or just the first county holding so I can take it after the war?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If you siege only the first county holdings you will take only the first county holdings, but of course, a bunch of native barons mayors and bishops aren't going to be able to do much.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
So would it be reasonable to siege just the counties, finish the war then usurp the kingdom and all the mayors and bishops should fall under my control after that, right?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

JGBeagle posted:

Yes, yes you can. I've done it a couple of times on accident (was already suppressing revolts when I got the chance to imprison it's count).

e,fb

Wait...people actually use suppress revolts for anything other than arresting vassals?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

hellsjudge posted:

So would it be reasonable to siege just the counties, finish the war then usurp the kingdom and all the mayors and bishops should fall under my control after that, right?

You can, but they won't like you much. Of course, you can hand the counties off to vassals and it becomes their problem, but they'll be less optimal until they deal with them. If you plan to keep any of the provinces yourself it's best to fully siege them and recruit new barons afterwards.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

hellsjudge posted:

Reasonable but suboptimal; all those mayors and bishops (or whatever) and minor barons and such... they're all going to despise you, and while that doesn't seem like a big deal, those guys can join in on plots to murder you.

You have two good options, really - siege everything and install your own loyal vassal mayors n' such (or hand the county off to a vassal who'll do that himself - which is what I usually do, as the relation bonus for handing over a county is only 40, but a county plus two barony-level holdings makes it 80, and so on), or siege only the top-level holdings and then, once you've conquered, revoke all those titles manually. Which, if you have the Crown Authority to do it, works out nicely (barony-level vassals will almost always agree to a revocation, because they know it's not like they can take you in a fight), but involves a vastly larger amount of clicking and if you don't have a good reason (for instance, they're heathens) will give you massive and regrettable Infamy penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Reasonable but suboptimal; all those mayors and bishops (or whatever) and minor barons and such... they're all going to despise you, and while that doesn't seem like a big deal, those guys can join in on plots to murder you.

You have two good options, really - siege everything and install your own loyal vassal mayors n' such (or hand the county off to a vassal who'll do that himself - which is what I usually do, as the relation bonus for handing over a county is only 40, but a county plus two barony-level holdings makes it 80, and so on), or siege only the top-level holdings and then, once you've conquered, revoke all those titles manually. Which, if you have the Crown Authority to do it, works out nicely (barony-level vassals will almost always agree to a revocation, because they know it's not like they can take you in a fight), but involves a vastly larger amount of clicking and if you don't have a good reason (for instance, they're heathens) will give you massive and regrettable Infamy penalties.

I compromised and fully sieged half the counties, but when I ended the war I automagically usurped the kingdom title so I got every holding plus the rest became my vassals, so it worked out nicely.

The only problem is dukes held counties that weren't their de jure territory, but I think I can turn off my sperg for a bit and not worry about perfect borders.

• Locked thread