Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MoxSquad posted:

I'd bet that it'll be either unlimited EDGE data or like 500MB of HSPA+ then throttled down to like 128Kbs thereafter.

The article says it will be subject to Wind's usual fair usage policy, which is throttling after 5GB. I doubt it will really be 5, probably more like 2 or 1, but that's still cheaper than a regular T-Mobile plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
I'm having a real hell of a time getting my hands on an unlocked Moto X in Vancouver.

Motorola is selling the 32GB unlocked model for $380 through their website right now, but they won't ship to Canada, or even a freight forwarding place or a PO box. They also won't accept non-American credit cards. To make matters worse, they don't actually tell you this up front -- the order will go through, and then automatically cancel itself a few minutes later.

Fido will sell me the 16GB model outright for $450, which even with the exchange rate is still $30 more for half the (non-upgradeable) internal storage. Their version also wouldn't work on Wind, if I were to consider switching (I'm stuck with Telus for now, but it's not out of the question in the future).

Has anyone had any luck getting a 32GB unlocked Moto X anywhere in Canada? Any secret to getting Motorola itself to ship me one? Alternatively, are they sold in retail stores anywhere in the States? Would a road trip down to Bellingham solve my problems? Should I settle for a 16GB version I will never be able to take to Wind?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Portfolio posted:

I'm having a real hell of a time getting my hands on an unlocked Moto X in Vancouver.

Motorola is selling the 32GB unlocked model for $380 through their website right now, but they won't ship to Canada, or even a freight forwarding place or a PO box. They also won't accept non-American credit cards. To make matters worse, they don't actually tell you this up front -- the order will go through, and then automatically cancel itself a few minutes later.

Fido will sell me the 16GB model outright for $450, which even with the exchange rate is still $30 more for half the (non-upgradeable) internal storage. Their version also wouldn't work on Wind, if I were to consider switching (I'm stuck with Telus for now, but it's not out of the question in the future).

Has anyone had any luck getting a 32GB unlocked Moto X anywhere in Canada? Any secret to getting Motorola itself to ship me one? Alternatively, are they sold in retail stores anywhere in the States? Would a road trip down to Bellingham solve my problems? Should I settle for a 16GB version I will never be able to take to Wind?

Really? They won't ship to a place like this? I've never had a problem sending to these places for as long as I've been using them.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Really? They won't ship to a place like this? I've never had a problem sending to these places for as long as I've been using them.

That's the freight forwarder I normally use, and no, they will not.

Portfolio posted:

I tried just about everything under the sun to get them to ship one to me and the answer to all of those questions is no. Do you have friends or relatives in the states?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who are able/willing to take a $400 hit on their credit card for you.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Aphrodite posted:

Who are able/willing to take a $400 hit on their credit card for you.

One presumes Geektox wasn't implying that the US relative would simply purchase the phone without recompense, so this remark seems odd at best.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lexicon posted:

One presumes Geektox wasn't implying that the US relative would simply purchase the phone without recompense, so this remark seems odd at best.

I was mainly just saying Motorola won't allow you to pay for it from Canada. Not all of your American friends/relatives are going to have $400 credit so it's something to keep in mind.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Looks like Amazon.com has it from a seller. I'm not sure what they charge for shipping to Canada though.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
It's also way more money. Sigh. I suppose I do have a friend in Seattle who would probably be willing to do it for me. And I'm sure I can find a reason or two to visit Seattle. Oh well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Geektox posted:

Crazy, I've never had an issue shipping to them, it's not even a PO box!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I once had Bestbuy.com cancel an order repeatedly due to it going to Pacific Mail and Parcel (one of those cross border shipping things). The address wasn't a PO Box or anything so they must maintain some kind of list themselves of places that do that? It's a weird restriction for sure.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Squibbles posted:

I once had Bestbuy.com cancel an order repeatedly due to it going to Pacific Mail and Parcel (one of those cross border shipping things). The address wasn't a PO Box or anything so they must maintain some kind of list themselves of places that do that? It's a weird restriction for sure.

I can never get American Bestbuy to work because of the Canadian billing address issue (their workaround for international addresses I've never gotten to work), so I usually use the P2P Parcel thing for American Amazon. Never had a problem!

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Try one of the newer package receivers in Blaine? I forget where, but some US store would ship to Pulse Packages but not Hagens. Maybe it takes a while for places to get blacklisted?

I bought a like new, in box, 16gb, unlocked, with receipt off craigslist last week for 250. There were a few 32s listed as well. Most of them were in mint condition, most of the people selling newish phones like the moto x are phone dorks who keep the thing in good shape cause they knew they were going to sell it one the next thing came out.

Do keep in mind that the rogers version (the one you'll find on craigslist here) doesn't support 1700mhz, which means no Wind, and roaming in the US is more of a pain since T-Mobile (the only real option for 2 or 3 day trips) coverage is much patchier.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He still won't be able to pay for it without a US card.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
Yeah, the lack of 1700 MHz is actually main reason I want the XT1053 ('GSM unlocked' on Moto Maker) rather than the XT1058 (Rogers).

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
Sorry for the double post, but:

Geektox posted:

I tried just about everything under the sun to get them to ship one to me and the answer to all of those questions is no. Do you have friends or relatives in the states?

Would you mind listing the specific shipping places you tried? Maybe I can get lucky and find one they haven't blacklisted yet.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Portfolio posted:

Sorry for the double post, but:

Would you mind listing the specific shipping places you tried? Maybe I can get lucky and find one they haven't blacklisted yet.

I tried Hagens of Blaine and P2P. The important thing is the credit card though. I tried using my card to order and shipping to a friend in NYC and it still didn't work.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Does anyone know if it's possible to add cheap voicemail to an older Rogers plan without switching to a new one? I like my 6gb/$60 promotional plan i got a while back but got sick of paying $12 a month for the "value pack" that included voicemail and caller id etc. I can live without caller ID but I'd really like to have voicemail and I can't see anything listed when I look at add-ons for my plan on the Rogers site. Maybe a free voicemail service? Pretty sure my plan includes call forwarding if that helps.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

FATWOLF posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to add cheap voicemail to an older Rogers plan without switching to a new one? I like my 6gb/$60 promotional plan i got a while back but got sick of paying $12 a month for the "value pack" that included voicemail and caller id etc. I can live without caller ID but I'd really like to have voicemail and I can't see anything listed when I look at add-ons for my plan on the Rogers site. Maybe a free voicemail service? Pretty sure my plan includes call forwarding if that helps.

Outside of retention - seems unlikely. They don't give a crap what the parameters of your plan are - they want that sweet, sweet ARPU staying high.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Apparently, Bell/Rogers/Telus are down at the moment...

again.

Yet my Virgin phone is able to call (and Videotron apparently works as well).

e: Telus confirmed, Bell/Rogers no information
e2: Bell may not be down. Confirmed with people that Bell is working for them.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 7, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just got a call on Rogers 10 minutes ago.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rogers is definitely up now, didn't get any reports from our Blackberry users today of outages.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

CLAM DOWN posted:

Rogers is definitely up now, didn't get any reports from our Blackberry users today of outages.

Telus was dead in the water, should be back.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I heard Telus/Koodo was down. Bell never went down.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Telus' data was down from when I woke up until about 7pm.

Richmond

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think I know why my friend was saying Bell and Rogers were down too. Turns out his Bell phone decided it wanted to gently caress up at the same time as the Telus link went down (and his ex said that all 3 were down too, he works for Telus though so god knows how he thought he knew)

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
Can I get a plan recommendation?

I'm at the end of my contract with Telus. I'm currently on an old-rear end student plan with 10 free numbers to call, unlimited texting, and 100 MB of data a month. The 10 free numbers is nice because I have a lot of family and friends out of town. The 100 MB of data is pretty restrictive, but I've done alright with it so far. The nice part of the plan is that it's only $40 a month.

In terms of requirements for an ideal plan: I'm based in Vancouver, but I travel around the country every now and then, and I really appreciate Telus's coverage in the mountains and more remote areas. (My family are all on Telus, if that makes a difference -- is free family calling still a thing?) I make a fair bit of use of the 10 free numbers, but it seems like most plans nowadays have free 'Canada-wide' calling. Is that what it sounds like? Because it kind of sounds too good to be true. Anyway, I need to be able to do a fair bit of cross-country calling on the cheap. I've been doing alright with 100 MB of data a month, so having a ton of data isn't a huge priority for me, but would be a bonus. And I have to say, that $40 price tag is pretty sweet -- I don't want to spend much more than that. I've got an unlocked phone that can use Wind's network, but from what I've heard, their coverage outside of major cities is still too spotty for me, unfortunately.

What are some good options for me? Should I look into Koodo? Rogers or Bell? Should I call up Telus's customer retention people and tell them I've been a customer for seven years and I'm shopping around right now and what can they offer me to keep me as a customer? (If I do that last one, what sort of stuff might they offer me? What's a good deal right now?)

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
When I was looking at the Motomaker site I thought I saw an option to order a phone with a pre-paid card. Maybe someone could buy/sell you one of those cards?

As for the shipping issue, not sure how you could get around that besides maybe having it shipped to a store across the border for pickup and not sign a contract?

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
Re: the Moto X, I was able to find a good one on Swappa and was able to talk the guy down a bit since Motorola themselves are selling them so cheap right now. Had him ship it to a shipping place just south of a border. Now I just need a decent plan for the thing (hence my previous post).

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
KnowRoaming started shipping their SIM stickers out. Looking forward to hearing back about how well this works.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Is Wind's coverage in Toronto still "shaky at best" like it says in the OP? I really want to switch since it'll save me $40 a month but am worried about not actually being able to use my phone when I need it most due to lovely reception.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
Let my tale of woe serve as a warning to my fellow Torontonians. I recently ventured out to Pacific Mall to get a new Lumia 1020 from Rogers (without a plan as I am on Bell). Low and behold, some store there also sold Lumia 1520s for the same price, without the Rogers bios crap on it. They are clearly imports but I was hooked and got one.

The phone was damaged out of the box with a flickering screen. Search for 'Lumia flickering screen' and you will see this problem is not uncommon in Lumias. There is even a 1520 video on youtube showing the same problem I have. Naturally, the store won't take it back and they say to contact Nokia, which is fine. I contact Nokia and two surprising things happen:

1 - Nokia refuses to honour the warranty in Canada because the warranty is not a Canadian warranty. In fact, the vibe I got was 'How did you get this? You aren't supposed to have this in Canada' In the end, I don't care as long as I can fix it.

2 - There is no way to fix it. Nokia's official repair centers flat out told me there is no way they can fix it. You aren't supposed to have that phone and they aren't ready with parts. Nokia told me to find a local 3rd party repair shop, but guess what - it seems that it's not possible for any place in Canada to be set up to repair it yet.

Conclusion - I am going to have to ship this out of country to get it fixed.
Lesson - don't buy phones that Canada isn't supposed to have yet. :(

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Madox posted:

Lesson - don't buy phones that Canada isn't supposed to have yet. :(
SECONDARY LESSON: Beware deals that are too good to be true at PacMall.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Brownie posted:

Is Wind's coverage in Toronto still "shaky at best" like it says in the OP? I really want to switch since it'll save me $40 a month but am worried about not actually being able to use my phone when I need it most due to lovely reception.

I've had very limited issues but I live and work in the west. I have no regrets after switching. There's been maybe one time when I have had only 1 bar in the year that I've been on it. The best guide to check for coverage in your area is coverage mapper.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Brownie posted:

It depends a lot on whether you stay within city limits/downtown or if you venture out to the suburbs at all. I've never had problems actually in Toronto, but I live near the Markham border and when I go up to around 16th avenue I start losing service.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Madox posted:

I recently ventured out to Pacific Mall

Well there's your first mistake.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Thanks for the advice. I live in North York and go to school downtown, so hopefully I'll be okay.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Why is there a Pacific mall in Toronto anyway?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

leidend posted:

Because it caters to people from the Pacific countries. Asians, in other words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

leidend posted:

Chinatown is just too far and inconvenient for some people. Also lots of Asians live in Markham.